Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BUBBLE AND SQUEAK  (Read 30990 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:BUBBLE AND SQUEAK
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2007, 10:04:23 AM »

laura, thank you for sending me a smile

Jennifer

« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2007, 10:05:08 AM »

Tonight is SURVIVOR (yeah!).

Then i'll probably watch UGLY BETTY.

Jane

« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2007, 10:08:42 AM »

Cilla- LOL, of course the wrong cat ate the food, I should have expected that.  

When Bogie became overwhelmed with the meds I would wiggle my fingers as I approached and he would relax knowing they were pill free.

Sometimes breaks are needed, eating and feeling good are important, as well as following your instincts.  I’m very pleased to read the kitty news is good continued vibes for callie and boo.  

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2007, 10:19:07 AM »

Have you had a chance yet to check out the local vet in case of an emergency?

I do have a vet picked out and intend to take all the cats to him. His name is Duffy (I used to have a dog named Duffy, so I thought it was a good omen!) and he lives a few houses down from us.

He catches and neuters stray cats in the neighborhood; some of us contribute to his efforts even though he has never asked for anything.

When I put up the Katrina evacuees, the huge dog that stayed at the house had a lot of problems. I talked to Duffy and he took care of Tek, even provided free medicine.

I like going to our old vet place because there are 5 or 6 vets on staff and I trust them all. Duffy is young and has just started his practice so if it's anything serious, I might be inclined to go to the Marietta vets.

If something has them stumped, they call on Thad, whose father started the clinic. Thad is retired but still comes in a day or two every week...he wanted to retire but just couldn't completely give it up. He still has a picture of my ancient cat, Art, on his desk. He took very good care of Art for 22 years and was very comforting to us when Art passed on. We all love Thad!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2007, 10:20:50 AM »

It's not 100% certain, but it does look like both Mr. Menken and Mr. Schwartz will be in attendance for the fundraiser.

Wonderful news, bk!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2007, 10:27:40 AM »

(in the too much information department, I can even recall she was fastening her panty hose to her girdle, LOL)

Too much information coupled, I suspect, with cloudy recall. Panty hose are not connected to a girdle. The whole point of wearing pantyhose is to avoid the use of a gridle or garterbelt to hold up the hose. If Mom was fastening hose to the clips on her girdle, they were just plain stockings, not panty-hose.

Too much exposition.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2007, 10:28:10 AM »

Despite the liberties/fictions interjected into Oliver Stone's screenplay for "JFK", I -- for one -- believe there is more truth to it than fiction.

I wouldn't at all be surprised at any conspiracy, and Stone could have chosen from several. Stone's problem is that he and the film makes the insane and disgusting Jim Garrison's homophobic witch hunter the noble hero of his film and slanders Garrison's victim Clay Shaw.  Of course, Stone has to ignore any references to the later allegations that Garrison molested a teen age boy at the country club to which he belonged because good ol' straight boy Jim Garrison is what Americanjustice means.

I've always suspected that Garrison got his panties in a bunch because Clay Shaw wouldn't invite him to any parties given by rich gay men in New Orleans. Kirkwood's book is a great read.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2007, 10:29:18 AM »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2007, 10:38:11 AM »

This morning I looked in my living room, and this is what I saw:

Hey!  I saw a kitty cat inside a leopard!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2007, 10:47:47 AM »

Bubble and squeak (sometimes just called bubble) is a traditional English dish made with the shallow-fried leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. The chief ingredients are potato and cabbage, but carrots, peas, brussels sprouts, and other vegetables can be added. It is traditionally served with cold meat from the Sunday roast, and pickles. Traditionally the meat was added to the bubble and squeak itself, although nowadays the vegetarian version is more common. The cold chopped vegetables (and cold chopped meat if used) are fried in a pan together with mashed potato until the mixture is well-cooked and brown on the sides. The name is a description of the action and sound made during the cooking process.

Thank you, Ben. It really looks good! I didn't know it was prepared as patties, but that makes a lot of sense. Humm...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2007, 10:48:06 AM »

Can ya swim, punk?...er....pumpk?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2007, 10:50:10 AM »

Ginny, to me Ben's photo looks more like potato pancakes with veggies.  i think i would like these.  i wonder why my, English, mother never made them.  maybe cuz she made great potato pancakes & used leftover mashed potatoes to fry in butter & then served topped with Golden Syrup-oh so yummy.

Jane

« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2007, 10:51:45 AM »

Bruce, interesting you should mention bubble and squeak, Keith and i were discussing it yesterday.

Jane

« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2007, 10:56:59 AM »

edi, I suspect your young new vet wouldn't have an issue conferring with the more experienced staff at the current office.  You are lucky to already have a relationship with one so close to home.  

DERBRUCER

« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2007, 11:23:22 AM »

TOD

I arose well before dawn to make landfall and find the Chesapeake Bay Lightship (we were returning to our home port of Washington DC from an oceanographic expedition in the Bahamas). The safe navigation of the ship (which was my responsibility) required me to be on the bridge supervising a 12 hour sea detail that took our deep-draft vessel from the Atlantic, up the Chesapeake Bay, into the Potomac River, under the Woodrow Wilson Bridge to our dock at the Naval Research Center on the east shore of the river. This was in the days before fancy electronic navigation systems, and the safe navigation through the many twists and turns of our perilous (because of our deep draft sonar gear) journey depended on me and my team plotting a continual series of bearing lines for virtually all of the trip (You couldn't trust the buoys as occasionally one would go adrift.) When the radioman came to the bridge with news of the assassination, my immediate reply was "I wonder what this will do to Goldwater's chances for the nomination!" Now, as politically incorrect and insensitive as this might sound, it doesn't hold a candle to my wise cracks after MLK got shot.

As to who shot JFK, I think Oswald did it. I do not think he was part of any conspiracy. Could there have been a second shooter, yes. Using the principle of Occam's razor it is more likely that there were two independent shooters than there was a convoluted and still unproven conspiracy involving multiple players. There were lots of folks with a multitude of reasons to wish Kennedy dead; his itinerary was well published, and the opportunities for assassination limited. Is the theory of two independent shooters unlikely, yes. But the theory of a grand conspiracy kept well guarded all these years is even less likely.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2007, 11:25:34 AM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  I will now say that it's certain that Menken and Schwartz will be there.  And, we're now trying to get a song from Enchanted - if we do, then I have to figure out who'll sing it.  It can be someone we have or a new person - we shall see.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2007, 11:29:49 AM »

Bruce, interesting you should mention bubble and squeak, Keith and i were discussing it yesterday.

Strange pillow talk :)

der Brucer

And soothing vibes for your various and sundried aching parts.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 11:32:32 AM by DERBRUCER »

FJL

« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2007, 11:31:14 AM »

Wow, that's impressive, BK!  (Especially with Alan Menken's LITTLE MERMAID starting previews on Broadway only two days before your fundraiser.)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2007, 11:32:07 AM »

then I have to figure out who'll sing it.  It can be someone we have or a new person -

Maybe Andrea McArdle is available.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2007, 11:33:24 AM »

Shudder.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2007, 12:03:07 PM »

BK, if it's not too late, I'm sending the song now. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2007, 12:05:13 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  I will now say that it's certain that Menken and Schwartz will be there.  

CONGRATS!

George

« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2007, 12:14:15 PM »

Great news about Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz!  I wish I could be there!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2007, 12:14:17 PM »

Great, George.  I'll look for it.

Ginny

« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2007, 12:17:34 PM »

Ginny, to me Ben's photo looks more like potato pancakes with veggies.  i think i would like these.  i wonder why my, English, mother never made them.  maybe cuz she made great potato pancakes & used leftover mashed potatoes to fry in butter & then served topped with Golden Syrup-oh so yummy.

Yes, Jane, they're not exactly the same, but the idea of binding together assorted leftovers and frying the concoction is similar in both.  They both look and sound yummy, as do your mother's potato pancakes!

It has just become apparent to me that a lunch of cottage cheese and pineapple chunks is not substantial enough to keep me going all afternoon  :-\
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2007, 12:26:08 PM »

lol.  

actually my mother's fried mashed potatoes are made from leftovers.  fried potatoes (latkes) are made from freshly grated potatoes.  Keith's are even better, i could go for some of those.  like u i'm trying to be careful what i eat.

FJL

« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2007, 12:40:33 PM »

My mom makes a delicious potato bulbenik.  Her latkes are very good, but the bulbenik is incredible.

Jane

« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2007, 12:54:04 PM »

this is funny.  my english cousin jane, whom i mentioned yesterday, just happened to write today.  i asked her if she makes bubble and squeak and she made it for dinner last night.

George

« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2007, 01:04:55 PM »

:o Spooooky!!

;)

Jane

« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2007, 01:06:39 PM »

My mom makes a delicious potato bulbenik.  Her latkes are very good, but the bulbenik is incredible.

i can't place this, think it is like, or is, a knish-?

so i looked it up and found the following definition:
bulbenik (Ameridish) — an actor who muffs his lines, from bulba (potato);D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up