Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE II  (Read 23118 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE II
« on: November 07, 2007, 12:15:33 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have read you, and now it is time for you to post until the spicy cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 12:13:22 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE II
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:17:19 AM »

And the word of the day is: CONTUMELIOUS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 12:27:34 AM »

Will we never get to page two?  Will vixmom never write her MAHH review?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 12:27:52 AM »

Will I single-handedly take us to page two?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 12:28:08 AM »

Or will I toddle off to the bedroom environment?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 12:29:41 AM »

I've been getting lovely e-mails all night from our performers, all of whom are saying it was one of the classiest and  best thought out benefits they've ever done.  That is music to my ears.  Vilanch said he had the best time and would do it again anytime.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 12:30:04 AM »

There's a lot of ME on this page.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 12:31:01 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 12:36:08 AM »

A Question for BK:  Could this revue be the inspiration for a new Kritzerland recording?  Since you couldn't record the show live, could you put out a studio recording of Schwartz and/or Menken songs using some of the songs and performers from the benefit?  Just a thought. :D

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:36:48 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 02:09:32 AM »

It's not my money on the line, but I also vote for a new Kritzerland release!!!

singdaw

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 02:12:08 AM »

bk, congratulations on the nice Variety review.  The reactions of the performers let you know that you did it right.

Oh, and congrats also on your lofty new perch in the clouds!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 02:14:22 AM »

Thanks for DRs elmore3003 and JoseSPiano for the theatre reports.  Very sorry to hear about the current state of Rent.  DR JoseSPiano, you didn't mention it, but aren't the two original male leads back in the show right now?  Did they rise above the rest of the proceedings?  DR elmore3003, the production sounds very intriguing.  Will be interested to read DR Ben's take on things.  Did you see each other at the theatre?

singdaw

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 02:16:18 AM »

DR JoseSPiano, you are entitled to your rants.  Just when you think you can't be astonished any further by a tale of stupidity and incompetence, another comes along!

Thanks very much for posting DB Jay's summary of his marathon experience.  Very interesting!

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 03:12:40 AM »

Congrats on the fundriaser-- i knew you'd pull it off.  breate now for awile (you deserve it)
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 04:27:09 AM »

Edith, in a CONTUMELIOUS mood, dismissed the parade of bikinis at the beach as being TOO MINUSCULE.  "Not the garments," she added, "the girls wearing them."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 04:27:51 AM »

Good morning, all! Today I have a meeting with Brad Haak, conductor if MARY POPPINS, about a couple of charts for Ashley Brown, Mary Poppins herself!  Yesterday, I had a meeting with the new conductor for the Gay Men's Chorus about four orchestrations of at least three long pieces - one of them very long - and I need to count the bars today and see if the small sum the Chorus is offering is enough to perk my interest.

Yes, DR slingshaw, I did indeed see the ever-lovely Ben last evening, both as I got to the theatreand as I left the theatre.  It really is a gorgeous production, with imaginative scenery and costumes that run the gasmut of periods: the British characters appear to be dressed in Renaissance fashions, the wicked Queen looks rather Bohemian with her headdress, the Romans, several of whom DR MBarnum would want in his next sword and sandal fantasy, are in classic uniform of about 10 BC, but it all works in this mythic territory and time in which the play is set.

The number of folklore themes in this play have me wondering about the Brothers Grimm, who actually were more fakelorists than folklorists, and I wonder how much of Shakespeare's plays, which had been translated into German, influenced their Household Tales, which appear to have come less from the real folk and storytellers and more from the nannies of middle-class families, who often were retelling Perault and the other tellers of the 17th-Century Cabinet des Fees.  I kept thiking of Snow White in Act Two, but there are the three brothers on a quest (Imogene is disguised as a boy), there is divine intrusion from Jupiter and a few ghosts  while the dead mother in the Grimm version of Cinderella throws dwn from the tree under which she's buried the dress for the ball.  Rapunzel is locked away in a tower and the Prince who finds her banished and blinded by the witch, and Imogene is a prisoner in her castle while her banished husband is blinded by the lies of Iachimo.  And this is only one Shakespeare play!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 04:29:56 AM »

DR Jose, I love RENT and I was lucky to see most of the original cast twice along with several returns to see excellent replacements. I'm sorry to hear the show is declining.  I think you were quite wonderful during the health crisis last night as well and you deserve a gold star.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 04:31:04 AM »

And The Song Of The Day Is : BAD GIRLS

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 04:36:22 AM »

It is already time to dash to work.  I just got here!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

singdaw

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 04:47:34 AM »

My, people come and go so quickly around here!

Ben

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 04:53:04 AM »

Yes, SD, Larry and I saw each other at the Theatre. We didn't sit together but we walked out of the theatre together. I also ran into another friend. I was speaking with her when Larry arrived. Alas, I wasn't sitting near her either.

Cymbeline was great. I had heard some mixed opinions about the show but I was quite taken by the evening. I'm familiar with the piece having read the play (though not for quite a while) and I even used two speeches from the show for audition pieces (I liked to have obscure classical monlouges) when I was performing. It was fun to hear those speeches as part of the show. It's a wonderful production of a problem play. Lamos (the director) overcomes many of the problems with his direction and his excellent cast. In spite of his line problems John Cullum does a good, solid job with the title role of an aging King and Martha Plimpton is touching, funny, heartbreaking and overall marvelous as Imogen. The problem with the play is that there is SO MUCH exposition, especially in the beginning and the end is just one long resolution speech spoken by different characters. It's considered one of the "late romance" plays. It also jumps all over the literal map. It moves from Britain to Italy to Wales and back to Britain. It combines some very sad events with comic elements, a bit of gore (though not as much as in Pericles) and an (almost) tragic romance. There is an actual

Deus ex Machina

scene which begins the denoument. That being said, I still thought the production solved all those problems and was quite moving. The actors playing the banished friend and his two "sons" (unknown to them they are the true sons of the king) are tremendous. The rest of the cast is top drawer (even Phylicia Rashad as the evil Queen) and for a 3-hour show it moves well. I always understood what was happening (not always true in Shakespeare). There were some beautiful stage pictures and an outstanding dream effect with Greek-type puppets. Mark Lamos has moved from being an excellent actor (I remember him from the Guthrie in the 1970s) to being a dynamic and intelligent director. I'm very glad I got to see the show. It's not done very often and I'm glad (despite some sniping from a few critics about "why are they doing THIS Shakespeare when there are other, better plays") Lincoln Center took the chance to mount it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 05:44:55 AM by Ben »

singdaw

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 04:57:23 AM »

Thanks, DR Ben.  HHW is fortunate to have theatre-goers who are so eloquent and willing to share their experiences with the rest of us!

singdaw

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 05:05:31 AM »

now it is time for you to post until the spicy cows come home.

One of the spicy cows apparently got sacrificed for Charles's dress:

td

• td
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »

And The Song Of The Day Is : BAD GIRLS

Toot, toot, heeeeeey, beep, beep.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

singdaw

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 05:33:53 AM »

Toot, toot, heeeeeey, beep, beep.

A Noel Coward reference?

;)

singdaw

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 05:41:57 AM »

DR Vixmom:  The DeepDiscount.com sale runs 11/9/07-11/25/07.  

Use Promo code DD1109 to get an additional 20% discount.

td

• td
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 06:09:59 AM »

A Noel Coward reference?

;)

The unsung refrain of "London Pride."
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 06:16:01 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I've been to the gym... And my window is currently being replaced - finally.. I hope... And I have to be down at Actor's Equity in 50 minutes, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2007, 06:17:18 AM »

bk, congratulations on the nice Variety review.  

I did so enjoy their "seamless fluidity" commment - it sounds lime a tag line for Revlon Liquid Stockings!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 08:06:13 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2007, 06:18:02 AM »

DR singdaw - Adam and Anthony left the show (again) a few weeks ago.  The new leads come directly from the last tour.  -And one of them is from England - which also leads an interesting tinge to the evening.  ...And ever since the new leads have started, Tamyra Gray (of "American Idol" fame), who currently plays Mimi, has been calling out.  A lot.  Just sayin'.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up