Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NETHER REGIONS  (Read 32725 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:THE NETHER REGIONS
« Reply #390 on: November 08, 2007, 07:54:03 PM »

Page 14 dance!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #391 on: November 08, 2007, 08:01:28 PM »

I have to work Sunday and have Monday off... Go figure!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #392 on: November 08, 2007, 08:03:03 PM »

Der B just saw something on the telly and had to call me over to watch it as he replayed it.

It was a promo for the Christmas Special for The Closer.  It very much looked like Amy's work, and was very good.

"I don't like being ordered to be festive!"  Great line!

I saw that, too, watching LAW & ORDER tonight waiting for UGLY BETTY to come on. Can't wait for this fun-looking 2 hour episode.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #393 on: November 08, 2007, 08:06:02 PM »

I finished all of the bonus features on the RATATOUILLE Blu-ray disc. There is WAY more special material on it than on the standard definition disc. That and the huge increase in picture quality (sound was only a half step better) I guess is what justifies the $5 difference in retail price.

Matt H.

« Reply #394 on: November 08, 2007, 08:07:14 PM »

I watched another episode of BONES to fill in time until UGLY BETTY came on. This was the episode that introduced Stephen Fry as Booth's psychiatrist and also introduced Brennan to Sully, a wonderful romantic match for her. Sorry that they didn't have him hang around a lot longer.

Matt H.

« Reply #395 on: November 08, 2007, 08:08:57 PM »

UGLY BETTY introduced Christina's estranged husband to the show. Wow! He's a cutie (love that Scottish brogue). Marc's boy friend cleaned up beautifully. Lots of other surprises in the hour and some tears, too. Excellent episode.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #396 on: November 08, 2007, 08:09:05 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back from seeing Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  It turned out the comp tickets from the producer's office were on the far left and far right sections of the audience... in the first three rows.  They were actually labeled as "Partial View".  But, still, it was a free ticket, and except for a few things upstage, I got to see most of the show.

Patrick Page as The Grinch is quite wonderful, and it seems they've given him a bit more latitude this year with his part - there were some obvious and very funny ad libs tonight.  The kids are cute, the songs are passable - although still a bit "modern" sounding for a "kid's show".  And it still runs 90 minutes with no intermission - which is still about 30-40 minutes too long.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #397 on: November 08, 2007, 08:09:50 PM »

I also enjoyed GREY'S ANATOMY tonight. Inevitable things happened that have been a long time coming. Certainly held my attention completely.

Matt H.

« Reply #398 on: November 08, 2007, 08:13:16 PM »

I watched SMALLVILLE off the DVR at 10 (again would have watched L&O: CI if GREY'S ANATOMY hadn't spilled almost 7 minutes over the hour.)

Sorry but I find the actress playing Lana so unappealing and unsexy that all the efforts to turn her into a femme fatale seem ludicrous to me.

Again, there is A LOT of kryptonite in the vicinity of Smallville. It's gotten to be such a tired device for the writers to fall back on almost every week.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #399 on: November 08, 2007, 08:13:47 PM »

DR JoseSPiano - I am just curious:  Do you prefer that someone auditioning give you an approximate tempo when they're handing you their music, or you prefer to just use your judgement and then adjust, if necessary,  once they start singing?

I always ask for a tempo - even when they say they take it in the "regular" or "standard" tempo.  There are times when I don't get the chance to ask about their tempo since they end up walking away before I get a chance to ask them.  However, if I feel that it is necessary, I will recall them to the piano.  Alas, there are still those time when I ask for the tempo, and they give me the tempo... and when they start singing, they're in another tempo.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 08:24:37 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #400 on: November 08, 2007, 08:20:25 PM »

One "funny" thing about The Grinch which I don't seem to recall from last year...  There are two teams of kids - since they have 10-14 shows a week.  The teams are color-coded.  There are the "Red Kids" - who weren't on tonight.  Instead, according to the cast roster posted in the lobby, The Kids of Whoville were played by: "The White Kids".

???  :-\  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #401 on: November 08, 2007, 08:21:06 PM »

I have some writing to take care of so I'll start on that now and then head down to bed.

Good night!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #402 on: November 08, 2007, 08:33:41 PM »

Back from a lovely dinner with Julie Reiber, and now I shall attempt to watch a motion picture on DVD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #403 on: November 08, 2007, 08:34:21 PM »

There she/he is again.  What strange fascination does she/he get from reading these here posts?  Well, I think we know.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #404 on: November 08, 2007, 08:36:39 PM »

More words to drive Elmore crazy by department:  just finished the arrangement of "In My Own Little Corner," which Larry will be happy to hear follows the original orchestration exactly, at least to measure 75 where it breaks into unbridled swing until measure 114.  I did a jazz English Horn solo over the swing part that mimics the flute line, sort of.  And when the strings come back in at 114 it's luscious enough to make Richard Rodgers drop his martini and stop yelling at Mary.  ;)

My only riposte is that when your production signed a contract with R&H to do the show, it probably has a clause about major changes, and if I were Richard Rodgers and someone did that to me without my authorization, I wouldn't be too happy either.

I still think VANESSA is a load of crap: pseudo-Chekhov libretto with foolish pretensions - 20 year-old man knocks up niece, and then marries her aunt, Vanessa, who 20 years before had an affair with his father, and the old lady who's pushing 90 refuses to speak to anyone, probably wondering why everyone keeps telling telling the 40-ish Vanessa how young and beautiful she is.  A couple of beautiful arias, a lovely quintet and a big waste of time.  There's a miscarriage, too.

The dinner at O'Neal's was fantastic. Great chicken pot pie and blueberry shortcake to die for.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 08:41:19 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #405 on: November 08, 2007, 08:43:34 PM »

By the way, DR JMK, you are aware that Ted Chapin, and others, of Rodgers and Hammerstein Organization reads this site every once and a while? I think he's an occasional lurker.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #406 on: November 08, 2007, 08:48:59 PM »

I was checking on Amazon.com order before I left for dinner.  according to Amazon.com tracking two different deliveries have been delivered on November 1 and November 6.  I have not seen either of them.  I've sent emails requesting proof of delivery.

I hope we don't have a thief stealing packages from the lobby.  

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #407 on: November 08, 2007, 08:49:35 PM »

If things pan out I may go to the cities in December with DBF to see Sound of Music.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #408 on: November 08, 2007, 08:56:14 PM »

ANTICIPATION[/color]

*DR MBarnum - There's Indian involved.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #409 on: November 08, 2007, 09:42:02 PM »

By the way, DR JMK, you are aware that Ted Chapin, and others, of Rodgers and Hammerstein Organization reads this site every once and a while? I think he's an occasional lurker.

I'm just doin' what they tells me, Larry.   I signed nothing with anyone other than the director who hired me.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #410 on: November 08, 2007, 09:56:36 PM »

OK, a mini-rant.  Does this make any sense?

The color laser printer, which serves about 50 people in the immediate vicinity, has just run out of toner.  Purchasing will not allow us to keep a spare, or to order a cartridge until the current one runs out.  So now we will all be without the use of this printer until Monday or Tuesday next week, when a cartridge can be obtained through the normal procurement chanels.

I mean, honestly!   :P

Those of us in the military electronics business used to out-fox the logistics prople by designing storage areas for "ready spares" as part of the basic equipment. I remember a radar system where Unit 112 was nothing more than a spare parts cabinet (hard wired, of course, to the main system (it had a light inside!).

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #411 on: November 08, 2007, 09:59:26 PM »

REally quiet tonight... I suspect when I work on Sunday it will be REALLY Quiet!!!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #412 on: November 08, 2007, 10:39:28 PM »

As a young'un my favorite Little Golden Book was

Was it the "69" cent   price that caught your eye?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #413 on: November 08, 2007, 10:54:18 PM »

Does anyone recall the movie that had Morgan Freeman as a tough high school principal?

I want to say Stand by me or Stand up...

Lean On Me

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #414 on: November 08, 2007, 11:01:02 PM »

Courtesy of The Ralph Engelstad Arena

INJUNS ATTACHED BY PC IDIOTS

FATE OF UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA 'FIGHTING SIOUX' LOGO THREATENS HOCKEY ARENA

A $104 million dollar hockey arena may be forced to remove hundreds of images of "The Fighting Sioux," the logo and nickname of the University of North Dakota for more than 70 years, if officials can't reach an agreement with tribal councils.

The university, according to a settlement last month of a lawsuit against the National Collegiate Athletic Association, has three years to negotiate an agreement with two North Dakota Sioux tribes — Spirit Lake and Standing Rock — to receive approval for the continued use of the "Sioux" name and logo.

If an agreement is not reached by 2011, the university will be forced to find a new name and logo.The hockey arena has hundreds of "Fighting Sioux" logos laid into its granite flooring, imprinted on seating and etched on doors and other areas. If an agreement cannot be reached, they would all have to be replaced.
The organization (NCAA) said it "believes that the time has come to retire Native American imagery in college sports."

Methinks the time has come to rid the world of the NCAA whackos.

der Brucer
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up