Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE POST-THANKSGIVING THANKSGIVING  (Read 26122 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE POST-THANKSGIVING THANKSGIVING
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2007, 08:54:48 AM »

Ugh!  Black Friday!  Count me out.

Oh, I don't know.  The fellow towards the left in the ball cap and blue zip-up is kinda woofy.

But I've never been a crowds kind of guy, so I'll be staying home, at least for now.

(However, Albert, the meat department manager, did mention that the price on turkeys was coming down...)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:10:28 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2007, 08:55:48 AM »

It's too crowded to dance.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2007, 08:59:08 AM »

Another of my favorites gone....Reg Park passed away on November 22, 2007 after battling metastatic melanoma.

Reg was Mr. Britain 1949 and won two Mr. Universe contests...1951 and 1958. He went to Italy in the 1960s and starred in the HERCULES AND THE HAUNTED WORLD, MACISTE IN KING SOLOMON'S MINE, and HERCULES PRISONER OF EVIL, among other films. He later went to South Africa where he joined the business world. His son Jon Jon Park runs a gym in West Hollywood.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 08:59:50 AM by MBarnum »

Danise

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2007, 09:02:43 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Park .  I think I remember a couple of those movies.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2007, 09:04:27 AM »

No.  If I do go out today, it will be later tonight.  I sometimes just like walking into a store and/or mall and looking at the aftermath.  ;)
Take pictures.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2007, 09:05:40 AM »

Like a surgical team, DH Richard and I just stuffed a 16-lb. turkey and put it in the oven.  Our house should start smelling like Thanksgiving soon!  Richard then threw me out of the kitchen so he could clean the floor.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Danise

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2007, 09:07:07 AM »

I was wondering if anyone has heard of the book/diet called Eat Right for your Type by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo with Catherine Whitney.  

It's based on your blood type.  I picked the book up at td's book store and have been reading it these past couple of days.  It does seem to make sense that different blood types would react differently to food.  Any thoughts/experiences with this?

I was talking to someone at work about it and was told they knew someone who lost 30 pounds using it.  Since 30 pounds is what I need to lose, I thought I would give it a try.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2007, 09:10:03 AM »

Back for a second.

Re: TWIN PEAKS

I began watching it when it first premiered, and after about five or six episodes, I tired of its eccentricities (similar to my tiring of PUSHING DAISIES' quirky motif) and thought I had it figured out who murdered Laura Palmer and was pleased to learn I was correct at the end of that first season. Never bothered with the second season.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2007, 09:10:04 AM »

Like a surgical team, DH Richard and I just stuffed a 16-lb. turkey and put it in the oven.  Our house should start smelling like Thanksgiving soon!  Richard then threw me out of the kitchen so he could clean the floor.

I think I can smell it from here!   :D

And you can send DH Richard right on over--I can't lift a bucket to wash my floors so I wouldn't mind if he did mine.    ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:10:54 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2007, 09:11:42 AM »

Most people stuff the turkey while it is on the table.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2007, 09:11:48 AM »

Sorry, DR MBarnum. I know how much you admire and respect these bodybuilders of another era. Sadly, time is catching up to them (as it is to us all no matter how fit we try to be.)

RIP, Reg.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2007, 09:12:33 AM »

I left the computer on to download an update to my PS3 while I was gone shopping. It's done now, so I'm heading back down to fix lunch and start the afternoon viewing.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2007, 09:15:44 AM »

Most people stuff the turkey while it is on the table.

That'll be later, DR SWW, along with stuffing & gravy, green beans, cranberry jello, and candied sweet potatoes, which were one of Harriet's specialties.  I'm trying to replicate them, so wish me luck!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2007, 09:19:12 AM »

Media check:

Books - just going though the cookbooks for ideas for last night's dinner.

CDs - Nope, haven't been listening.

DVDs - Going through the Doctor Who series one and two discs, for the Doctor Who Confidential bits, in anticipation of series three arriving hopefully today.  I'm trying to think of any other programme that has had another programme running at the same time about how the main programme was made.  (British spelling, since it's the BBC.)  And I can't think of any other show that has done this.  It's definitely better than the "making of" puff pieces found on so many DVDs that our esteemed one so rightly despises.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2007, 09:20:48 AM »

That'll be later, DR SWW, along with stuffing & gravy, green beans, cranberry jello, and candied sweet potatoes, which were one of Harriet's specialties.  I'm trying to replicate them, so wish me luck!
Luck!

(I just thought Richard was having to clean the floor because... never mind, silly joke.   ::))

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2007, 09:23:37 AM »

I watched Twin Peaks!

Btw, re: shopping today.

I think it was a tradition here (like Boxing Day shopping is) i would probably go.  But i can't imagine going at 4am.

The thing is that is not something we are used to here at all.  I mean there are some 24 hour depanneurs. But there are no Walmarts or anything like that even open past 9pm. We have strict opening hours. And stores even close here on saturdays at 5pm.

Even on Boxing Day the stores only open at 1pm in the afternoon (which i find extremely odd since it's the most popular shopping day of the year).

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2007, 09:23:46 AM »

After Turkey,Who?

N E X T  ! !

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2007, 09:24:18 AM »

My tummy is still too full from yesterday.

DR Danise, you and Cillaliz and I should support each other during our weight loss efforts.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2007, 09:24:45 AM »

DR JoseSPiano, I was wondering - since you come from a family of caterers, does that up the stakes?  I mean, does that provide extra pressure for each and every offering on the Thanksgiving table to be extra fabulous?  Or does it tend to go the other way: a comfortable ease with all of the many preparations?

Well, since both my parents basically worked more in "institutional food service", the stakes were never that high to begin with.  ;)  My mom worked as a consulting dietitian for years for both hospitals and nursing homes, as well as a few years working for Sysco.  My dad was a "culinary engineer" in the Coast Guard, and his last billet was at the mess cook for the Secretary of Transportation - at that time is was Libby Dole.  After he retired from the USCG, he stayed on a civilian at the Secretary's mess, and then moved over to the HHS (first under Donna Shalala).  When it came to time to cook meals at home, it was more a matter of making sure that they had cooked enough food to feed four hungry and growing boys.  My mom would also audition certain new food-service products on us from time to time - we had the McRib long before it was called the McRib.  -Oh, and a plethora of TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) products... blech!  But we did love the monthly visits from the Tasty-Kake rep - he would bring a literal car-trunk-load full of goodies directly from the factory for us.

My Dad did take some classes at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America), but those were mainly to increase his knowledge of the basics - and to extend his repertory beyond the typical mess-hall fare.  -As well as to get used to cooking in something larger than a ship's mess.

Once my parents "learned" that we were able to cook for ourselves, they would usually just stock the freezer with a lot of frozen meals.  Sometimes the frozen dinners came in handy, but after watching hours(!) of cooking shows on PBS each Saturday morning, I started cooking some things that were not in my parents' repertory - which consisted mainly of Filipino food, and some very "meat and potatoes" preparations.  In any case... Where was I?  Ah, yes... (ah, a "Liaisons" reference...)

Thanksgiving - and Christmas meals - were never fancy at the Simbulan household.  As long as the Turkey wasn't dry, and there was a fresh cooker filled with rice, that was a good Thanksgiving meal.  And it still is.  -Although, there was the one year when my mom "discovered" cilantro, and she managed to find a reason to incorporate it into everything, including a relish made with pickle relish and cilantro... :-\  Thankfully, she grew out of that phase.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2007, 09:26:27 AM »

Last night's dinner was mostly a success, by the way.  The duck breasts came out of the pan with crispy skin and tender meat.  The Brussels sprouts with bacon were delightful.  And the chestnut puree was delish and rich.

Sadly, the two things I usually don't have a problem with floundered, probably because I was concentrating on the other dishes.  The mashed taters were gummy, and the gravy was flat.  *Le sigh.*

Danise

« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2007, 09:27:59 AM »

My tummy is still too full from yesterday.

DR Danise, you and Cillaliz and I should support each other during our weight loss efforts.

So what are you trying?  South Beach, Blood type, etc?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2007, 09:29:23 AM »

I know others liked it but I felt it was all mouldy frosting and no cake.

Ah, Larry. I do love your descriptions of things you dislike. No "Blech! I hated it!" for you! You are so graphic--even elegant--in your distaste! I always chuckle.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2007, 09:29:47 AM »

Oh, and HELLO, EVERYONE!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2007, 09:30:59 AM »

-However, the couple of times where I ended up cooking The Meal, trust me, it was Fa-Bu-Lous <snap!>!!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2007, 09:32:47 AM »

I will avoid Black Friday like the plague.

I enjoyed TWIN PEAKS when it ran very much; but...I HATED that they never provided me a proper ending to the show.  I felt like I had watched the longest Shaggy Dog story in history.

I'm dipping into my Noel Coward, Judi Dench, and Ibsen boxed sets this weekend.  Last night we watched a wonderful Feydeau farce starring Dench called Keep An Eye on Amelia.  Then followed it with a bleak black and white BBC production of Ibsen's BRAND from 1959, starring an excellent Patrick McGoohan.  I'm surprised he didn't become a noted figure on the British stage.  His performance in this was very electrifying and powerful.

We've also been getting a few screeners from the movie companies to watch for Awards Time...one of which is 3:10 To Yuma which I have been avoiding because I love the original so much.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2007, 09:32:57 AM »

Oh... As for Brussel Sprouts, I've become fond of parboiling them, them slicing them so that the leaves come off/separate.  Then sauteing them in some browned butter.
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2007, 09:33:05 AM »

One of the interesting things I read (for example) was that Brussels Sprouts inhibits thyroid hormone for type o's (which is what I am).  I happen to LOVE brussels sprouts.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2007, 09:35:41 AM »

Yesterday we also watched most of the re-run of LEGALLY BLONDE...while very slick and polished and intermittently amusing.  The plot was predictably formuliac (I could call every twist long before it happened) and the music is distinguishedly unmemorable, prosiac, and every song sounds like the one I just heard.

singdaw

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2007, 09:38:54 AM »

I'll bet no one ever accused Reg Park of being a flibbertigibbet.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »

I was wondering if anyone has heard of the book/diet called Eat Right for your Type by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo with Catherine Whitney.  

It's based on your blood type.  I picked the book up at td's book store and have been reading it these past couple of days.  It does seem to make sense that different blood types would react differently to food.  Any thoughts/experiences with this?

Yes, Danise. I know many Canadians who are familiar with the book. For some reason it has been quite popular there--perhaps here, too, and I just haven't gotten US feedback.  Personally, I prefer a more individualized approach; IMO the approach overgeneralizes. But, you may find it helpful. Just remember that everyone's body chemistry is a bit different.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up