Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LEAPING PHRASE  (Read 20754 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE LEAPING PHRASE
« on: January 26, 2004, 12:07:03 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what is expected, you're poised to post so, on your Mark Bakalor, get set - GO!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 12:03:30 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:THE LEAPING PHRASE
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 12:30:52 AM »

Happy birthday MusicGuy wherever you are.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 12:31:16 AM »

Jane, in case, you don't catch up with last night's late post, say Hello to Janet Greek for me!  What a small world!  Where in Oregon are you?  Janet got me my first agent and she more or last started both me and my friend Larry Drake on our movie careers out here.  How in the world did I end up coming into the conversation?  Please send her my best!  Hope she's well and happy.

For those interested, my Golden Globes impressions, piddling though they be, are also in my post from late last night on page 6, the last page.  I will just say the tenor of my observation was BOOBS (The breast kind; not the idiot kind)!  So that might pique the curiosity of a few of you to peruse  the back pages.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 12:35:02 AM »

Can't discuss the Golden Gobes - maybe they will show it on a Sunday aftenoon in a few months time! pleased that Anthony won.  I haven't seen most of the movies or the TV shows either. May watch "Mystic River" DVD this week.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 12:37:21 AM »

Do discuss Globes whether or not you posted about it yesterday.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 04:07:20 AM »

Good morning - sort of.  It's 4 AM and I'm having a mug of chamomile tea with lots of honey. It seems I can barely speak -- I just said something to my dog and he looked afraid - very afraid. Whose voice is that?

Happy birthday, Music Guy!

I had the Golden Globes on, but must have dozed off for a bit -- missed a few categories, I guess. I thought it wasn't tacky enough this year. It's no fun when things get too swellegant. I agree with Jay about "What I Did for Love"... Maybe it was an in-joke. Michael Douglas was, after all, treated for sex addiction. Okay, maybe I was wrong about it not being tacky enough. I liked Meryl Streep. She was hilarious.
Think I'll go back to bed now. I feel rather lousy. If the voice doesn't come back, I must try and find a doc today who will give me some serious meds. MUST have voice for Tuesday morning. Aaaaargh. I've waited over two months for this script meeting and my voice might be gone. A network executive's dream come true - a writer who can only listen!

Michael

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 04:11:21 AM »

Did not watch the Golden Globes. But saw the list of winners. Interesting. Anyone know exactly how many members they are of the Foreign Press Association who give out the awards.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 05:12:47 AM »

I'm confused. I thought Music Guy's birthday was January 27th. Today is January 26th (at least it says that on the calendar and on my computer). Music Guy, you must post and let us know the truth!!!

Ben

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 05:30:36 AM »

As we wind down our photo tour of Ben and Anthony's trip across the pond, I will post yet another photo. This was taken in Harrod's. We went there to have high tea. I had hoped to splurge and go to The Ritz or The Savoy, but alas, both places were fully booked. We discovered that Harrod's serves tea and thought that would be an acceptable substitute so we cleaned ourselves up, took the tube to Knightsbridge Station and had a most wonderful and delicious time as you can see by the photo.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 05:39:43 AM »

Since it's just Dan (in Toronto) and me right now, I will post another shot. We took the double decker bus home from Harrod's and got off at our stop on Cromwell Road. As we were walking down the corner to Knaresborough Place we saw one of those blue ceramic historic plaques on a building. On closer inspection we saw who lived in that building. You can tell from the picture who it was. We were living around the corner from a legend! Why, it almost made us feel Psycho. The Birds seemed to be circling around us. We felt Spellbound. Then we realized we were walking North by Northwest and that was the wrong direction so we calmly went back to our studio to get over our Vertigo.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2004, 06:13:01 AM »

I haven't paid any attention to the Golden Globes since Pia Zadora's then-husband bought her one as Best Newcomer years after she appeared on Broadway in FIDDLER and starred in "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians".  Newcomer?

Instead, since they substituted a rerun "The Practice" for the new episode scheduled, we watched the 2nd episode of "The L Word".  What a hoot.  By the way, I forgot to mention my favorite quote from the first episode.  When Jennifer ("Flashdance") Beales and her partner pick up a man at a party to help them have a baby he discovers their plan and as he is leaving says...

"You damn Lesbians.  The only reason you want to have sex with a man is to steal his sperm!".
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2004, 06:17:12 AM »

Good morning all.

Okay, more coherent  Golden Globe notes.

I agree, that most of the movie awards were predictable. But the tv awards weren't!  I loved that Sarah Jessica Parker won.  Love her.  She was the one who was doing the Access Hollywood interview after the show, when her hubby Matthew Broderick called. It was so cute. They had been trying to reach each other since she had won. And he apparently was asking if she could talk. And she was like, "well I can, but we're on live tv, Nancy and Pat say hi".  They had their conversation and Sarah was getting weepy, which was making me weepy!

What is The Office? Has anyone heard of this show?  Is this even an American show (or is it merely a British show that is seen on BBC America?).

Ben

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2004, 06:23:02 AM »

Didn't watch the GGs. It's just the beginning of the award season and already I'm over-awarded. I will watch the Oscars with my two best theatre buddies (is that an oxymoron?) and then we will watch the Tonys (much more important to me than any other awards show) and that's it for my award watching.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2004, 06:27:02 AM »

The Office, as far as I know since I don't have BBC America and it wasn't playing when I was in London, is a hit television series about an obnoxious moron and his co-workers in a British office. It's supposed to be very funny. So funny that it is being re-made into an American version. That makes me afraid, very afraid and I have one word to explain it, Coupling. I never saw the original British series but the U.S. version on NBC was, IMHO, appalling.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2004, 06:33:44 AM »

I kept forgetting to mention this. I've had a cassette version of the original cast for Forum for years. I also have the revival w/Nathan Lane, etc. but I had trouble finding the original cast on CD. I knew that BK had released it years ago on Bay Cities but I never came across a copy, until Thursday when I found a copy at Academy, a used CD emporium. I now have the original Forum on CD. Thank you BK!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2004, 06:38:26 AM »

DR'S- It's more fun reading your comments about THE GOLDEN GLOBES than watching on TV.
The one positive note is that they do move faster than The ACADEMY AWARDS.

Kerry

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2004, 06:57:19 AM »

Well Ben,
You are right.   DRMusicGuy's birthday is tomorrow (or at least so I've thought for the last thirty years), but how lovely to don our pantaloons a day early!!!!!

I loved the pics from London-- thank you for posting them.

The Golden Globes were fine to watch while we had dinner, but I had never heard of many of the people and have not seen most of the films or series.   I thought Meryl Streep was fun, and a few people looked good.  That was pretty much it.
I like boat races.

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2004, 07:12:00 AM »

I forgot to mention this last night. But Mary Louise Parker (who had a baby 2 1/2 weeks ag0) looked SO AMAZING!!!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2004, 07:17:28 AM »

My favorite speech from last night was Charlize Theron. Very classy and beautiful. And she seemed truly thankful.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2004, 07:19:08 AM »

HRH BK bemoans the lack of "leaping phraes"; indeed he offers: "My Kingdom for a leaping phrase".

Clearly Christmas needs more days.

On the thirtieth (or whatever) day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, thirty leaping phrases, twenty-nine vile epithets, twenty eight promising promises, twenty seven unseemly buttons, twenty six Galley Slaves…

Der Brucer (who left out Arabian Knights crying “Sesame!”)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2004, 07:28:54 AM »

Well, as I posted last night...Al Pacino and Johnny Depp scared me!  :o

I always enjoy awards shows, but I usually only watch the emmys and the oscars. I watched all but the last hour of the GGs last night, but I just had to get to bed.

I do need to get out more as I have seen practically none of the shows or movies that were up for awards! But I did tape THE OFFICE last night and am looking forward to seeing that program. It looks very funny.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2004, 07:30:08 AM »

Manin', all. I didn't see the awards show - but aol is spewing forth many and sundry details. Sounded fun. Glad about the Diane Keaton award (being, myself, a lady of a certain age...). Geezer sex. Yup. Okay, so off into my day. Good luck with your final push on the manuscript, Bruce. Happy B'day, MusicGuy.
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2004, 07:32:08 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy birthday, MUSIC GUY![/move]

Hmmmmmmm.....well l enjoyed the Golden Globes, like MR BK, I thought most of the ladies looked very nice....and the guys were scruffy!

Jessica Lange - and of course when I see her I think of Frances, she is now around the age Frances was when she was on TV here in Indiana.

And Diane Lane was channeling Natalie Wood!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2004, 07:32:47 AM »

Oh, about The Office: I've seen one episode. And it reminded me why even the uncertainty, unemployment, insecurity, lack of health insurance, loneliness and other attendant annoyances of show business make it preferable to working for a living.
PennyO

DERBRUCER

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2004, 07:37:56 AM »

Anyone know exactly how many members they are of the Foreign Press Association who give out the awards.

The HFPA WebSite lists 90 members and three affiliates.

der Brucer (who has been informed by DR SWW that there is much ado because many of them are only part-timers)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2004, 07:42:36 AM »

...so we cleaned ourselves up...

And you do clean up nicely. Your Mums would be proud.

der Brucer (sipping on his morning Earl Grey)

(I'll bet I get TCB'd for that line!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2004, 07:55:58 AM »

Yes...lovely photos!  Tea at Harrod"s?!!!

We used to have the Ayres Tea Room in Indianapolis!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2004, 07:58:20 AM »

Because so much of THE OFFICE is improvised, the quality for me varies with each episode. Ricky Gervais is marvelous; he's captured his obnoxious boss character and run with it (he doesn't realize he's obnoxious and despised by his entire staff; he thinks he's loved). Some of the players surrounding him I find fairly uninspired which makes the shows (which run 40 minutes) inconsistent. But when they're clickin', it's a scream. I had no problem with the two awards the show won. Also, in two years, they've made only 12 episodes of the show, so the quality can remain high when you're only producing 6 shows a season.

Not all of the men were scruffy. Pierce Brosnan was the height of sophistication and elegance. Leonardo DeCaprio looked the best he's looked EVER, and I thought Elijah Wood was stunning in that velvet tux. Keanu Reeves looked quite handsome. Even Tom Cruise cleaned up a little for a change.

Queen Latifah had the most beautiful gown, I thought, after looking at photos this morning to refresh my memory.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 08:01:48 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2004, 08:04:57 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]BIRTHDAY[/move]

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]DR MUSICGUY !!!![/move]
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2004, 08:09:42 AM »

Why thank you DerBrucer!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up