Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE  (Read 26053 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE
« on: December 15, 2007, 12:08:05 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were elusive, and now it is time for you to post until the elusive cows come home.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 12:45:33 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 12:10:01 AM »

And the word of the day is: SUDORIFEROUS!

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 12:29:26 AM »

So...I could say...Those boys on the Lakers are quite sudoriferous.
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

Michael

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 03:51:00 AM »

I have only seen two Kaye film:
The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty, & The Court Jester that I remember with some fond memories.

I have a public domain copy of the Inspector General that I was given as a gift two Christmas' ago, but never watched. The PD films are a chore to watch.

White Christmas I watched in bits and pieces but can't be really called a Kaye film.

Surprisingly he really didn't make that many films,
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 04:25:29 AM »

So sorry to hear about the Kaye show.....I liked Mr Danny Kaye on film, his television show - not so much.

TOD:

The Court Jester
The Man From the Diner's Club
The Five Pennies
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 04:25:47 AM »

No snow as yet.....and work in a couple of hours.  We shall see.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 04:44:10 AM »

Today I get to spend all day in a meeting. Well, except for the part where I get to spend time in the airport.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 05:02:24 AM »

Good morning, all!  When I was a kid I loved Danny Kaye, especially HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN, and it was quite demoralizing to hear all the later stories about what a turd he could be.

I got the Tom Jones song from DR singingnymph, so I've spent the morning singing along. I sure my neighbors are not amused.  I think tonight I'll watch from the SHAKESPEARE RETOLD collection the MACBETH set in a restaurant (Macbeth is the head chef).  It should be an intereasting reflection of TOP CHEF. The other two play adaptations, which I'll watch next week, are MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM and TAMING OF THE SHREW

Today is another day in Toyland, and I believe I will be working with a colleague today.  Beyond that, I have few plans.  My shopping is essentially finished, so I'm wrapping and waiting.  I do need to speak to the estate attorney about a form I he sent me yesterday, and I'd like to sign it and return it to him ASAP.

All dressed up and no place to go. Oy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 05:11:28 AM »

Good morning.

It's Saturday, December 15th.

And I haven't a clue what today will bring.  It's supposed to rain.  But it's an "stay-in" day, for the most part.  We may go to a local cemetery to put flowers on my father's grave.  (Trust me, that one will be the final word on "grave" you will hear from me...unless I figure out how to crop the photos I've taken so that I can post them here).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 05:13:43 AM »

I really enjoyed "Ghost Whisperer" and "Moonlight" last night.  "Numbers" was pretty good, too, although I was on the computer through much of it trying figure out whether my mother has any cropping tools for photos.  Thus far, I've found nothing.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 05:15:58 AM »

To answer a question posed by DR JoseSPiano two days ago, I DID bring my iPod Shuffle with me.  But it does NOT work.  I even bought a special charging unit at Brookstone in the Cincinnati airport.

It seemed to be doing the trick.  I even got a "green light" on my Shuffle unit.  But when I press play, I get alternating flashes of green and orange....and no sound.  So......

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 05:23:16 AM »

To answer another question from DRJoseSPiano:

My mother does, indeed, make divinity....but not often...and not in recent years.  I keep her supplied with See's, you see...!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 05:27:43 AM »

All the packages I've shipped, save one, have arrived safely.

The last was mailed one week ago today, so I figure it will be here next week sometime.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 05:28:26 AM »

My mother is "fixing" breakfast.  I'm having grits, bacon and toast, with OJ and coffee.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 05:33:04 AM »

Breakfast!

Sounds good.

And now the snow begins.....don't know how long we will stay open today.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 05:38:22 AM »

Albert Coleman, the conductor I assisted for 10 years, started his career in the states due to Danny Kaye. I think they had met in Europe, and when DK was looking for a conductor to tour North America with him, he chose Albert.

DK had to do some sort of paperwork for Albert to be able to work with him in Canada. Albert knew he wanted to move to the states and had planned to change his name to something easier to pronounce; he just hadn't chosen the name Albert Coleman yet. (I think the Coleman came from Ronald Coleman.)

So Danny Kaye made up a really bizarre name for Albert, and that's what he had to go by for the length of the tour. I am going to his memorial service tomorrow (he passed on recently at 97) and I'll see if his son remembers the name.

Any time Danny Kate was in Atlanta he would call Albert (always asking for him by that weird name) and they would get together. Unfortunately, I was never invited---I never even would know until after he'd returned from lunch so I didn't have the chance to beg him to go. And Albert had such a terrible memory (he never remembered my name or even the names of musicians who'd played with him for decades, but it was part of his charm) so even if I'd told him I was a fan it would have been a moot point.

Anyway, I never heard any bad stories about him. Now Sylvia Fine, well...he didn't seem to be quite as fond of her.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 05:42:02 AM »

I really enjoyed "Ghost Whisperer" and "Moonlight" last night.  "Numbers" was pretty good, too, although I was on the computer through much of it trying figure out whether my mother has any cropping tools for photos.  Thus far, I've found nothing.

I spent too much time on "Ghost whisperer" trying to figure out where they lived! I had always thought the villasge/town was in the west but last night's episode had a reference to Philadelphia not being far away.  Then, Melinda's running around advising folk and, finally, communicating with ghosts on Christmas Eve in a nice red gossamer dress with NO COAT! And she never shows signs of a chill except once when Dee Wallace stone offers her tea. She leaves the haunted family's house to attend a party and end up in a snowfall in the village square, where she is indeed wearing a coat.  Pardon the expression, but wouldn't she freeze her frequently-exposed-in-this-show decolletage off?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 05:46:27 AM »

TOD: THE COURT JESTER
THE INSPECTOR GENERAL
HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSON

My brother and I loved his records and played them all the time:
"You'll Never Outfox the Fox"
"Mr. Bungle Lived in the Jungle"
"Tubby the Tuba" (which our orchestra used to perform)

(I'm just guessing at the titles, but I'd love to hear these again!)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 05:48:14 AM »

Thanks for the story, DR EDISAURUS!

DR ELMORE I just ordered Shakespeare Retold from DD for only $25.14.

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 05:50:40 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  OK, I made it to work and am now waiting to see

1) how many people bother to show up for my program and

2) how soon the snow/ice/rain arrives.  

It looks kind of like it will be warm enough for me to get home and up our driveway without too many problems.  Film at 11.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 05:50:50 AM »

I have a Danny Kaye double album LP - maybe I can find it when I get home, DR EDISAURUS...and I might be able to get the tracks from it.

Time will tell.

Snow snow snow....and work work work.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 05:51:43 AM »

DR GINNY - it started at 7 am here, so it should be hitting you in thirty minutes or so....

Not too bad yet....the worst after midnight, they say.  I hope that is so.

FJL

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 06:05:57 AM »

Other than loving him in Hans Christian Andersen, an early memory is of Danny Kaye on the Merv Griffin Show and teasing an overweight lady in the audience by asking if she's been listening to their talk about diets.

FJL

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 06:08:37 AM »

Danny Kaye played a cobbler in that film, and I do love a nice cobbler, especially served with vanilla chip ice cream.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 06:23:25 AM »

Thanks for the story, DR EDISAURUS!

DR ELMORE I just ordered Shakespeare Retold from DD for only $25.14.

DR JRand57, I can only say that, from my admiration for the MUCH ADO revision, I think you'll love the set.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 06:25:56 AM »

I awoke with a sore throat, which I thought was nothing, but it's hangng on and making me uncomfortable.  If I'm coming down with a cold, I don't want to infect my Toyland colleagues, so I think I'll stay in and work at the computer.  Damn!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 06:55:02 AM by elmore3003 »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 06:53:26 AM »

And the word of the day is: SUDORIFEROUS!
Herc (as his friends familiarly called him) was embarassed that he never broke out in a sweat when he dropped by the gym.  He took to stealing other guys gym socks and rubbing them over his body, so that he could at least smell PSEUDORIFEROUS.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »

...White Christmas I watched in bits and pieces but can't be really called a Kaye film....
I don't know why not!  I love White Christmas, and particularly love him in the film.  (I cannot imagine what it would be like if Fred Astaire or Donald O'Connor had played the part, since Danny was the third choice - Fred was never that funny, nor Donald that smooth a dancer.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2007, 07:08:35 AM »

Danny Kaye played a cobbler in that film, and I do love a nice cobbler, especially served with vanilla chip ice cream.
He was particularly good singing the song "Wonderful Wonderful Copenhaagen-dazs."
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 07:12:59 AM by S. Woody White »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 07:12:55 AM »

GET THE HOOK!

-Well, since there's no groaning allowed on HHW... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up