Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TITLE OF THE NOTES IS...  (Read 23194 times)

Ginny

Re:THE TITLE OF THE NOTES IS...
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2007, 06:14:41 AM »

...This morning I have cartons and packing crap to cart down to the basement...

Well, DR Elmore, you'll have some more in a few days, 'cause I'll be taking a package to the PO later this morning!  Please say hello to Bob for us.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:15:13 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2007, 06:15:07 AM »

Thank God for Google! The wikipedia says:

Powdered sugar, also known as confectioner's sugar or icing sugar throughout most of the Commonwealth, is a very finely ground form of sugar.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2007, 06:15:10 AM »

I also received a painting done by a very dear friend as a gift. I love it.

Of course, the flash hitting the glass makes a bright spot, but I can't get the photo to show up without the flash.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:16:41 AM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2007, 06:56:30 AM »

And now, back to life as usual.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2007, 07:06:53 AM »

Lovely painting, DR Laura, and especially meaningful because the painter is your dear friend.  Thanks for sharing.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2007, 07:07:40 AM »

Lovely photos.....DR GEORGE I like the pro-feel photo of Miss Ebonie.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2007, 07:20:46 AM »

My first question for ASK BK DAY - since you are re-visiting some Preminger, what do you think of BONJOUR TRISTESSE?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2007, 07:32:17 AM »

Good morning!

It was reasonably cold and damp this morning; yes, more rain which we desperately need, so no complaints. The sun has been trying to come from behind clouds all morning but has only been moderately successful - out a few moments and then gone again. Still, it's what December often looks like around here.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2007, 07:34:09 AM »

I've never seen SAINT JOAN or BONJOUR TRISTESSE, two notable failures with Jean Seberg, so I'll be interested in reading comments from any and all who have seen either or both of them.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2007, 07:38:21 AM »

I certainly do love ANATOMY OF A MURDER. Can you believe that though the film was up for Best Picture, director Preminger was not nominated as Best Director!

Back in 1959, several of the technical categories had separate nominations for Color and Black and White movies, so not only did ANATOMY OF A MURDER have to face off with BEN-HUR in categories like Original Score and Best Picture, it had to vie with THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK and SOME LIKE IT HOT in the three black and white categories.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2007, 07:40:08 AM »

I'm still planning today to spend the day with the remaining two THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT films on Blu-ray. With all of the bonus features each film has, it should take the rest of the day. Fortunately, nothing on TV interests me tonight.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2007, 07:41:04 AM »

Answers to last night's lame trying to get to page 7 trivia questions:

The connection between Sergio and Wild, Wild West is Sergio's 80s-era vocalist (and a swell one she is, too) Kate Markowitz is the daughter of Richard Markowitz who wrote that classic television theme song for the series.

The half-step top 40 hit is White Christmas!!   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »

And I have to say that even though I have been a little critical of some of the quality of the transfers in the TE films, watching those vintage featurettes which use the footage from the original theatrical runs shows how much Warners has improved the look of those old clips. They're almost unwatchable in the original trailer and interview footage.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2007, 07:43:58 AM »

I might have to step out to the post office today, but if not, I don't plan to leave the house. Most of my friends have left town for a few days to visit relatives during their Christmas time off.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2007, 07:49:23 AM »

Re Anatomy, there was sort of a trade off. Anat got a best pic nom, no director nod for Preminger.Billy Wilder got a best director nom, but no best pic nom for SOME LIKE IT HOT.Q? for Matt HH:Did you play a bad cop in a movie with Brian Dennehy and James Marsden?...Q for BK-Have you ever heard Bobby Darin's Christmas Album(or Pet Clarks)Do you like any or all or Kurt Weill's music-any favorite scores or recordings.Also, re a Xmas eve discussion I had, do you know why "My Favorite Things"has become a pop Xmas standard. SOM was the first LP I ever owned, so I know why I make the connection, but I wondered if you had any music biz insights . A Very Happy Boxing Day to All!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2007, 07:55:53 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I would have posted light night before heading to bed, but my brother, Don, was re-setting up my parents' computer setup, which included (finally) putting a security firewall on the wireless here.  Of course, what should have taken just a few minutes, took about an hour due to some weirdness with the software.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2007, 08:00:46 AM »

As for my plans for today... I'm not really sure.  We just had breakfast here, and once everyone else is fully awake, I believe I'll be heading up to Fairfax for the next day and a half.  However, I'm still dealing with my sinus cold, and a bunch of the kids are also sick.  -One of the girls was running a fever of 103(!) just this past weekend.  So, I'm wondering if I should just stay down here today to continue getting healthy, and then just head up for the weekend.

However, I do know that I will not be heading to the stores today.  Just not in the mood for any of that craziness at all.  Surprisingly, my Mom didn't head out this morning - she usually stocks up on next year's Christmas decorations on the day after Christmas.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2007, 08:02:06 AM »

DR brian, no, I've never been in a movie. All of my acting as been on the stage.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2007, 08:04:14 AM »

I watched Disc One of the DISNEYLAND SECRETS MYSTERIES WHATEVER dvd set last night.  It was discussed here recently in the notes and on the board, and I agree with all that was written here.

Loved the first part of the documentary that detailed Walt Disney and his struggle to get Disneyland built....though only PART of the story was told.

Looking forward to the second disc.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2007, 08:05:50 AM »

The skies are clearing quite a bit as of now. I see some large patches of blue sky for the first time this morning! Looks like it's going to be a beautiful late December day.

Late December? Where has this month gone?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2007, 08:06:28 AM »

OH! - But a man from Richmond Decorating did come by this morning to measure the windows for the new window treatments.  It was fun listening to my Mom "bargain" with contractor.  Apparently, even though there are certain formulas for "balance", she had her own ideas about "balance".  -And I really don't think it's a good idea to be looking through the Decorating Guide, and start making comments about how some of the sample rooms look "tacky".  -At least not in front of one of the company's employees.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2007, 08:06:39 AM »

DR MATTH - BONJOUR TRISTESSE is one of my favorite movies.  It is very unusual - beautiful b/w AND color photography...and some really nifty performances from Seberg, David Niven, Deborah Kerr, Mylene Demongeot, and Geoffrey Horne...great locations!  

I had seen Seberg in SAINT JOAN and of course AIRPORT and PAINT YOUR WAGON and really liked her....but I think her role in BT is my favorite.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2007, 08:08:43 AM »

I haven't gotten any of this year's Disney tins. The Donald one was really the only one that really interested me, and I read that the transfers in this edition were much better, much cleaner than in the last Donald tin which did no clean up at all.

I know in last year's tins, the one of rareties that contained TOOT, WHISTLE, PLUNK, AND BOOM and BEN AND ME, not only had no cleaning been done, but the widescreen cartoons like PLUNK weren't anamorphic. I was disgusted with that lame decision!

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2007, 08:09:45 AM »

DR MATTH - BONJOUR TRISTESSE is one of my favorite movies.  It is very unusual - beautiful b/w AND color photography...and some really nifty performances from Seberg, David Niven, Deborah Kerr, Mylene Demongeot, and Geoffrey Horne...great locations!  

I had seen Seberg in SAINT JOAN and of course AIRPORT and PAINT YOUR WAGON and really liked her....but I think her role in BT is my favorite.

It's a Fox film, isn't it? Perhaps the Fox Movie Channel will run it and I'll remind myself to record it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2007, 08:11:21 AM »

Columbia Pictures - TCM has been showing a lot of those this year....so we shall see.

The DVD is barebones, but nice to have.  

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2007, 08:12:44 AM »

Columbia Pictures - TCM has been showing a lot of those this year....so we shall see.

The DVD is barebones, but nice to have.  

Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for the next showing on TCM.

JMK

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2007, 08:20:32 AM »

A friend is coming over this morning to see if he can finally make us wireless, internet capability wise.  I have a wireless modem, but I've never been able to get it to work properly.  I'm hoping he can, because then the kids won't need the stupid USB wireless connector for their Wii and their new XBox will also have internet, and, most importantly, my HD DVD player will have all its bells and whistles.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2007, 08:23:06 AM »

A friend is coming over this morning to see if he can finally make us wireless, internet capability wise.  I have a wireless modem, but I've never been able to get it to work properly.  I'm hoping he can, because then the kids won't need the stupid USB wireless connector for their Wii and their new XBox will also have internet, and, most importantly, my HD DVD player will have all its bells and whistles.  :)

Will we have to start calling you George Jetson?  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2007, 08:24:40 AM »

I'm heading down now to clean the living room (I'm one day behind on cleaning since I took yesterday off), tiny up some clothes in the bedroom, and then check the mail and begin thinking about what's for lunch.

WBBL.

JMK

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2007, 08:26:31 AM »

Will we have to start calling you George Jetson?  ;D

Well, it's a family joke around here that whenever Betsy asks for some of my cash we all sing "Jane, his wife." ;D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up