Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OPENING SALVO  (Read 35500 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE OPENING SALVO
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 07:04:13 AM »

DR MattH, I don't watch AS THE WORLD TURNS, but re: the gay storyline.

Is it possible that the writers are going slowly because they are afraid of showing gay love scenes?  I am curious how they will handle this?

Have they even really showed any kissing? Would they? Can they?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 07:05:32 AM »

I'm ready for work.  So, I guess...it's time to depart.

Adieu...adieu....parting is such sweet....blah, blah, blah!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Julie

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 07:10:31 AM »

Good morning.

Julie

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 07:11:24 AM »

I spent last night watching several of the Slings and Arrows episodes that I had Tivo'd from the marathon on New Year's Day.  I can't believe I had never watched this show before - it's fabulous.

Julie

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 07:11:56 AM »

DR Ben, I had no idea that Dell had a temporary store in Manhattan.  Where is it located?

Julie

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 07:13:26 AM »

George - Thanks so much for posting the step by step instructions for saving videos.  It looks like a very easy way to save clips from many different sites.

Julie

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 07:14:09 AM »

Did Obama really get more electoral votes than Clinton?  How bizarre.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 07:15:58 AM »

Good morning!

More gray skies but also more warm temperatures. It was very mild outside this morning, and promises to get into the mid-to-high 60s today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 07:18:06 AM »

DR MattH, I don't watch AS THE WORLD TURNS, but re: the gay storyline.

Is it possible that the writers are going slowly because they are afraid of showing gay love scenes?  I am curious how they will handle this?

Have they even really showed any kissing? Would they? Can they?

I'm sure there will be no gay love scenes. There has been kissing. If we even see them in bed together, it would be a MAJOR change for daytime TV.

Ben

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »

DR Ben, I had no idea that Dell had a temporary store in Manhattan.  Where is it located?

It's on Broadway between 11th and 12th on the West side of the street. They close up shop on Tuesday January 15th. They were not busy last evening (around 4:30). I assume all the heavy traffic was in December.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2008, 07:21:21 AM »

Made the decision this morning to drop CASHMERE MAFIA (though there is a new episode tonight). I wasn't sufficiently interested in any of the characters to continue watching. I will try NBC's variation on the same themes with LIPSTICK JUNGLE next month. I like Brooke Shields more than Lucy Lui anyway.

Tonight offers new episodes of LAW & ORDER, CSI: NY, and, of course, PROJECT RUNWAY. I'll likely watch one of the two HDTV shows "live" and save PROJECT RUNWAY for tomorrow so I can speed through commercials.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 07:22:56 AM »

I thought of another 2007 film that got overlooked and would like to recommend - THE LOOKOUT. Again, not a perfect movie, but it has some wonderful performances and a plot that pulls you in.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2008, 07:24:55 AM »

Today I'll begin watching another review copy, this time an animated film called DRAGONLANCE. Looks like it's inspired by Dungeons and Dragons (which I know next to nothing about), but I'll give it a look-see this afternoon.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2008, 07:28:49 AM »

If I get through DRAGONLANCE and there aren't a plethora of special features, I may try to watch BLADE RUNNER on Blu-ray tonight. I've read so many ecstatic things about the HD transfer of the film. I'll watch the final cut of the movie since I've seen the other two cuts (theatrical and director's) before.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2008, 07:30:02 AM »

Good morning, everyone.

I believe that is all.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2008, 07:32:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: PERTINACIOUS!
PRECAUTION IS rarely the watchword when CERTAIN PIOUS types air their PERTINACIOUS views of the world.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2008, 07:33:31 AM »

I spent last night watching several of the Slings and Arrows episodes that I had Tivo'd from the marathon on New Year's Day.  I can't believe I had never watched this show before - it's fabulous.

DR Julie, Ben and I are big fans of the series as well, but my memory is that several DRs thought very little of it.

They're now releasing all three seasons in one collection with additional material; it burns my butt to have to pay for another set of this series but I may have to.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2008, 07:34:39 AM »

I'm sure there will be no gay love scenes. There has been kissing. If we even see them in bed together, it would be a MAJOR change for daytime TV.

After some of the things that idiotic soap PASSIONS pulled, it may happen.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2008, 07:35:22 AM »

I thought of another 2007 film that got overlooked and would like to recommend - THE LOOKOUT. Again, not a perfect movie, but it has some wonderful performances and a plot that pulls you in.

I forgot GONE BABY GONE, which I really liked.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2008, 07:39:32 AM »

Bset retire early - I will probably be awakened early by billowing smoke and wailing fire alarms. Woody has decided we shall no longer suffer the indignity of using purchased beef stock, so he shall attempt to make his own (which requires many hours of super-high temperature oven roasting of cow skeleton).

Pray for Elsie's baby

der Brucer

Bull!  (To slangishly refer to an appropriate beastie.)

The oven is set at a mere 400 degrees.

And I'll only be roasting the cow bones for two hours, max, adding various veg for the last forty minutes or so.  Two hours does not make "many", in my opinion.

After that, the bones go into the stock pot, along with the roasted veg and other additions.  The roasting pan gets deglazed, with the deglazing juices added to the stock pot, and then other veg and water join the mix.  This all then gets to SIMMER, not boil, for several hours.

All and all, this should be a nicely relaxing day.

But no, der Brucer has to fret and fume that I might set off the smoke alarms once again.

Oh, bother.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2008, 07:40:38 AM »

Has anyone out there ever wondered what bones Mrs. Lovett used when she made stock for the gravy she made grander with coriander?

Just asking.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2008, 07:41:25 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I would be at the gym right now, but since I'm not really sure I slept at all last night...  I didn't really toss and turn, but just kept finding myself looking at the clock and watching the time pass.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2008, 07:42:53 AM »

maybe they all saw me coming....

Oops!  She's catching on!

;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2008, 07:43:01 AM »

...Oh, that's right... We did stop at Starbucks after dinner last night.... Hmm... :-\
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 07:44:56 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Julie

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2008, 07:45:19 AM »

It's on Broadway between 11th and 12th on the West side of the street. They close up shop on Tuesday January 15th. They were not busy last evening (around 4:30). I assume all the heavy traffic was in December.

Thanks!  I can't believe I haven't noticed it - I've been in that general area several times in recent weeks.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2008, 07:46:14 AM »

SWING your partner, round and round!  :)
Gives new meaning to "dancing on your toes!"

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2008, 08:04:58 AM »

I forgot GONE BABY GONE, which I really liked.

It got great reviews, and I'm anticipating receiving that review copy in a few weeks.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2008, 08:07:30 AM »

Has anyone out there ever wondered what bones Mrs. Lovett used when she made stock for the gravy she made grander with coriander?

Just asking.

Perhaps not the bone you'd select. :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2008, 08:08:10 AM »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2008, 08:10:56 AM »

I haven't gone over yesterday's posts yet, so I don't know if der Brucer wrote about this, but...

Yesterday was so much fun at work.

Mainly because I hadn't been scheduled to be at work.

The week's original schedule had me showing up on Sunday and Monday, then off by myself on Tuesday through Thursday, and back to work on Friday and Saturday.  This was according to the schedule posted last Friday.

Sunday, there's a note on the daily assignments sheet asking me to check the weekly schedule again.  A few hours had been added to my schedule, on Thursday.

Yesterday, at about four-thirty in the afternoon, the telephone rang.  Could I come in to work, I was asked?  More specifically, could I come in to work from five to eleven?  I gulped, agreed, and dashed into the shower to clean up while shouting to der Brucer to get dressed so he could drive me to work (it being too cold for him to drive me just wearing his skivvies).

Somehow, a week where I was supposed to have three days off has turned into a week with just one day off.

Which is why I'm relaxing today and taking making stock.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up