Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: EVELYN WOOD  (Read 34814 times)

Miss Karen

Re:EVELYN WOOD
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2008, 08:09:27 AM »

Might as well get 'er to page 3 ...

Miss Karen

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2008, 08:10:01 AM »

Tah-dah!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2008, 08:11:57 AM »

Oh, and Ginny--I believe you mentioned some time back that people who like the works of Rosamunde Pilcher usually like Maeve Binchy, as well. I've known of MB for ages, but never read her. Yesterday I picked up one of her novels and I do think I'll like it.

I read Val McDermid's THE DISTANT ECHO while ill. Great page-turner, but disturbing because the actions of one person damaged so many lives. But then if I want something uplifting why am I reading murder mysteries???

Miss Karen

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2008, 08:12:11 AM »

This time I won't forget to log out -- gratuitous lurking begone -- Adios!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:12:28 AM by Miss Karen »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2008, 08:14:24 AM »

What happens when you pull the string?
I keep my pants up with a piece of twine
I keep my arms wide open all the time
I keep myself quite willing all the time
Because you're mine
Please pull the twine.

From a New Christy Minstrels recording
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:14:59 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2008, 08:14:55 AM »

Really must go.

TTFN.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2008, 08:19:29 AM »

I forgot to mention the TCM documentary on Val Lewton broadcast last night. I recorded it and hope to see it one of these days. Looked very interesting.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2008, 08:20:30 AM »

I need to head downstairs and check the mail before starting to prepare lunch (barbecued chicken today).

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2008, 08:24:17 AM »

I agree with some of the aforementioned musicals gone wrong on film:

And maybe it's just me, but I can't stand the film version of A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum, but love it the times I've seen it staged -- there was a lot of bad casting in that movie and I didn't like the way a lot of the characters were played.

I agree, Miss Karen - the film stinks.  Too many of the songs were cut, in particular "Free" (the cornerstone of the entire story, IMO), to be replaced by the plunkly-wunkly wails and warbles of Ken Thorne.  And Phil Silvers as Marcus Lycus - if they'd kept the role a supporting player, instead of beefing it up the way they did...

To be honest, the only parts of the film that I like are the music for "The Chase" - Mozart would have approved, maybe - and the End Credits.  Those two pieces are fun.  Trash the rest.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2008, 08:32:29 AM »

How to fix the film version of A Little Night Music - start by throwing out the director.

The one thing that was done well in that film was replacing "Glamorous Life" with "Glamorous Life."  Even the undercutting of the lyric with what was shown on film worked.  But most of the time, the film showed Prince's vast misunderstanding of how film works.  Just because he's been praised for making stage musicals "cinematic" doesn't mean that he knows cinema.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2008, 08:37:23 AM »

Gypsy would have been far better without Roz Russell.  Bad enough she couldn't handle all the singing - she couldn't handle the fact that she was playing the villian in the piece!  A woman I worked with a few years back lovedlovedloved Russell in the film, but dammit Rose pushes and dominates her daughters throughout the film, refusing to let them become their own persons, to the point of putting Louise on the burlesque stage, something that was practically synonymous with being a prostitute - this character is a monster, and needs to be seen as such!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2008, 08:43:01 AM »

MAN OF LA MANCHA was a total botch.

I would love to see both RAGTIME and LES MISERABLES turned into film musicals.
You can dream…or you can do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2008, 08:44:09 AM »

Some plays are so inherently theatrical and, their theatricality so definitely a part of their success, that I would rather see a literal filmed transcription of the play as opposed to seeing it made into a "movie".

Examples that come to mind: MAN OF LA MANCHA,  THE FANTASTIKS,  ROYAL HUNT OF THE SUN (despite a mesmerising performance by Christopher Plummer and an earnest attempt).  I think the SWEENEY TODD film also fails, truncated songs, not great singers, and a languidness about it.  I'd much rather watch the Hearn /Lansbury taped theatre production.

Stage farces rarely work on the screen  FLEA IN HER EAR and NOISES OFF come to mind.  The amazement with these kind of shows comes from all the door-slamming and physical timing onstage.  Though two film farces that I think do work would be ARSENIC & OLD LACE and THE RITZ.  Of course, I never saw The Ritz onstage; and I only saw Arsenic onstage after I'd seen the film.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2008, 08:58:08 AM »

Time to get ready for work.  I've got to get der Brucer to run a couple of errands before I get there, so I'm leaving you all a little early.

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2008, 09:10:28 AM »

Tuesday morning (CST) greetings!  It's another cold winter day here in SE Wisconsin, but they say it's going to get much colder later in the week.

We went last night with Richard's classmates to a local bistro that was having a spaghetti dinner fundraiser for a youth soccer league.  It was OK, but you'd think for $6.25, they could have filled my wine glass more than half full!  The students were supposed to reconvene last night for a film, but someone had already checked it out of the library, so the instructor cancelled.  They really needed a night off.

I'm back in the library atrium working on the conference...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2008, 09:20:02 AM »

DR Dakota, do you have something you put on your car at night to keep the engine
warm?

Jane

« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2008, 09:21:45 AM »

DR Singingnymph-GOOD JOB VIBES!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2008, 09:23:07 AM »

I'm up and attempting to de-groggify.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2008, 09:23:51 AM »

So no one thinks any of these flops could be remade with today's talent, behind and in front of the camera?  And be gotten right, which is the point.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »

Ginny, I've been enjoying reading your posts from SE Wisconsin.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2008, 09:24:34 AM »

Better day vibes to DR elmore!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2008, 09:28:52 AM »

Oh, and Ginny--I believe you mentioned some time back that people who like the works of Rosamunde Pilcher usually like Maeve Binchy, as well. I've known of MB for ages, but never read her. Yesterday I picked up one of her novels and I do think I'll like it.

I have liked Maeve Binchy for years and I have read a number of her books. She is a delightful writer. I have also read Cecelia Ahern.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2008, 09:28:54 AM »

Ginny, I've been enjoying reading your posts from SE Wisconsin.

Thanks, Jane.  When the sun comes out (which they day will be later to day), I'll take some pictures.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2008, 09:31:15 AM »

DR Dakota, do you have something you put on your car at night to keep the engine
warm?

I plug it in and it starts the block heater.

One reason cars in this area have cords coming out of from front. Block heaters are standard equipment up here.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2008, 09:32:24 AM »

Better day vibes to Elmore!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »

However, -30 is not good either way. Block heaters can only do so much...

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2008, 09:33:26 AM »

I read Val McDermid's THE DISTANT ECHO while ill. Great page-turner, but disturbing because the actions of one person damaged so many lives. But then if I want something uplifting why am I reading murder mysteries???

DR Jeanne - when I'm sick I like to read light series mysteries - Laura Childs' tea shop or scrapbooking series, Cleo Coyle's Greenwich Village coffee shop series, or Monica Ferris' needlework shop series.  That last one got me through pneumonia several years ago.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2008, 09:34:57 AM »

Another writer I like is Anne McCaffrey and particularly her Dragonriders of Pern books.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2008, 09:35:56 AM »

TOD....

I cannot think of any at this moment...

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2008, 09:39:42 AM »

TOD - Having see the OBC, I thoroughly disliked the film version of Cabaret when it was first released.  Then I read the original Isherwood storiies, watched the film again, and changed my mind.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up