Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE JOGGING JEW  (Read 23491 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE JOGGING JEW
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2004, 08:25:07 AM »

I am also reading WICKED and really enjoying it. I'm reading fairly slowly savoring every little nuance of the weaving together of the OZ legends and this new interpretation.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2004, 08:25:12 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPYBIRTHDAYMICHAELHAPPYBIRTHDAYMICHAEL[/move]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 08:44:17 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2004, 08:38:44 AM »

I get nostalgic about the old Universal City Studios Tour because, when I first saw it, that's what it was: a tram- and walking- tour through a working studio that scratched the itch of people who actually wanted to know how movies were made.  There were no "rides" although I do remember a stunt man's demonstration involving cowboys falling off of three-story buildings.

In the DVD player is a Carol Burnett clip show, highlighting some of those moments when they broke each other up.  Carol takes questions from the audience, just as she did when I was in the audience as a little kid.

Cds: Mr. Wonderful (Original Broadway Cast) and 2 I'm listening to for work: A Judy Garland compilation (some song about a barber named Figaro) and the Andrew Lippa Wild Party

2 Wild Party numbers will be in the Circle in the Square graduating musical theatre class show on February 12 at 7.  It's free and there are no tickets: Just walk in to The Circle in the Square Theatre on Broadway and you'll be very entertained.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2004, 08:58:56 AM »

I was errant and truant yesterday evening, Dear Readers, as I travelled down to Orange County to catch a presentation of Mr. Stephen Sondheim's Follies.  This production was mounted by the California Conservatory of the Arts, an eighteen month old organization devoted to training young adults (grades 6-12) in the areas of Dance, Film, Musical Theatre and several other allied arts.

Last night's show was the Conservatory's public debut presentation.  The event was originally planned as a concert version of Follies, with piano accompaniment, directed by faculty member Miss Teri Ralston.  Ambition (and someone's deep pockets, apparently) took over, and the event evolved into a fully staged production, with a 20-piece orchestra and several of Miss Ralston's friends in the adult parts.

The evening began with Mr. John Raitt being awarded an honorary plaque from the city of Santa Ana (of which he is a native) announcing that, in honor of his efforts to bring musical education and enjoyment to children and adults around the world, January 29 was officially John Raitt Day in the city of Santa Ana.  The audience was then prompted to sing "Happy Birthday," as yesterday also happened to be Mr. Raitt's 87th birthday.  Though he still has his dashing good looks and head of snowy white hair, Mr. Raitt did appear to be somewhat unsteady on his feet.

Then on to the show.  As far as I can tell, except for some trims to the Loveland sequence introduction, this was a complete Follies.  

Mr. Raitt "played" Dmitri Weismann.  That is, he delivered his lines from behind a podium, reading them from the script in front of him.  (Everyone else was off-book and freer to move around the stage.)

Miss Ralston did a fine job as Sally, and was quite effective in "Losing My Mind."  Miss Stephanie Zimbalist presented a Phyllis that was more glib than icy.  She struggled with some of the music, but handled her lines with aplomb.  ("The Story of Lucy and Jessie" was used as Phyllis' Folly.)  Kurt Peterson, who played Young Ben in the original production of Follies, was Ben in this production, and was rather subdued in both the vocal and acting departments.  His big emotional moments did not come across very credibly.  Harvey Evans, who played Young Buddy in the original production of Follies, completely filled the role of Buddy last night.  His and Miss Ralston's performances were the most well-rounded of the evening.

With her shock of bright red hair and wad of chewing gum in her mouth, Miss Beth Hansen provided a loud, wisecracking Stella as she led the ensemble in "Who's That Woman?"  Miss Molly Melachouris sang a very touching "One More Kiss," joined by a very sweet voiced Young Heidi played by one of the young members of the Conservatory.  Miss Jonelle Allen apparently subscribes to the notion that playing broader is better; I thought her Solange was embarrassing.  Worse, she insisted on singing "Ah Paris!" either ahead of or behind the beat but never, ever with it.  I feared a trainwreck, but an astute (and uncredited) conductor saved the day.  Completely charming as Hattie was Miss Betty Garrett, though I would have liked to have heard a little bit more oomph in her "Broadway Baby."

Miss Julie Wilson was cast as Carlotta.  Thin as a rail and extremely frail looking, Miss Wilson took a pass on the descent down the stairway during "Beautiful Girls," and always had someone at her arm as she moved about the stage.  That is, until she was left alone at the footlights for her big number.  Miss Wilson found her energy at that moment, Dear Readers, and put it to memorable use.  She bit off "I'm Still Here" whole, chewed it up but good, and spat out the most thrillingly proud and defiant rendition of the song I have ever heard.  It deservedly earned the biggest ovation of the evening.

Roscoe and all the younger versions of the adult characters were taken by members of the Conservatory, and they all turned in admirable performances.

There was a simple unit set with the obligatory staircase stage center.  Constrained, no doubt, by brief rehearsal time and the terpsichorean limitations of the older players, the less said about the ensemble choreography, the better.  "Bolero D'Amour," however, was pleasantly danced by the two couples.  Costuming was effective, with several young Weisman Girls dressed in Erte-like creations appearing during the opening of the show.  Strangely (at least to my eye), the ensemble was done up in 18th century court costume and wigs for the opening of the Loveland sequence.

A polished Broadway-ready Follies?  Hardly.  Good to hear Sondheim's score in a live presentation?  Of course.  An enjoyable evening in the theatre with some memorable moments?  Yewbetcha.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 10:11:42 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2004, 09:06:47 AM »

Thanks DRJay!  Sounds like a well-spent evening!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2004, 09:07:14 AM »

Thank you, DR Jay, for a thorough assessment of FOLLIES. Glad to hear there were parts quite worthy of the material. It's always a toss-up between this and SWEENEY TODD as my favorite musical.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2004, 09:19:39 AM »

(some song about a barber named Figaro)

Now I'm a barber?
A little off the top, sir?

der Brucer (hoping the dogs aren't watching)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2004, 09:22:04 AM »

Jrand - Do I take it from your comment that you didn't care for Ms Jenkins?  She is an acquired taste.

Jay - Thanks for the FOLLIES report.  I worked with Julie Wilson in stock over 40 years ago and she is not only talented but also one of the nicest stars I have ever met.  When one of the scenery builders thought she was someone else from behind and proceeded to  take the electric sander to her ass as a gag (not really dangerous) she laughed whereas most other stars would have had him fired.  This theatre had one private star dressing room and then two large dresing rooms for the rest of the cast (divided by gender).  Julie decided that despite star billing, Lalume in KISMET was not the star role and insisted the actor playing Haaj (Paul Ukena) take it while she dressed with all the other women.  If she had not taken off almost twenty years to raise her children, she would probably be a much bigger name today.  What a wonderful lady.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2004, 09:33:00 AM »

...an assortment of vintage MGM shorts of the era and other bonus features...

Speaking of shorts with bonus features:

der Haberdashing Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2004, 09:40:17 AM »

Glad to hear about Follies.  When you posted the cast list, I'm also glad to see I guessed right about who would be doing what.  

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?  And furthermore, I really don't "get" how I'm early on Shayne's birthday.  I cannot read our calendar - when I was early on MusicGuy's birthday I went in and looked - I originally had Shayne's written down as Saturday, but since I was wrong on MusicGuy I moved it because it looked like, according to our stupd calendar, that it was on Friday.  

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2004, 09:45:53 AM »

Thanks DR Jay for that great theatre report. I have never seen Follies live :(

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2004, 09:49:04 AM »

Traditional calendars go Sunday, M, T, W, Th, F, then Saturday. The HHW starts M, T, W, Th, F, S, Sun.

Oh well, now everyone gets two birthday parties! :)

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2004, 09:58:08 AM »

DR Matth, thanks for the good news regarding the Marx Bros. DVDs. Hmmm...more money to spend! Some of those films I have not seen since I was a wee kidling or at least a teeny-bopper.

I do own one of the previous dvd releases... Coconuts...which is actually one of my least favorites.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2004, 10:01:11 AM »

LOL DR WEL - and it is one I have not yet acquired.  However I think after awhile, I may try again.

DerBrucer thanks for the Figaro picture!  DRTCB are those some of the selected shorts they are always talking about?

William E. Lurie

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2004, 10:07:45 AM »

I just read that PBS is doing a Judy Garland special on 2/25 (may be different in different cities) featuring some of the tapes Judy made when she was thinking of writing her autobiography and "rare footage" from MGM.  If these are the same tapes that have surfaced on CD, it should be a hell of a show.  And since PBS usually doesn't have their quarterly begathons during sweeps, it should be shown uninterupted by pledge breaks.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2004, 10:08:19 AM »

To begin with first things first:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=+3]HAPPY ONE-DAY-EARLY BIRTHDAY, MR. MICHAEL SHANE!![/size][/move]

And Many Happy Returns! (Oh, a The Prisoner reference!)

And second things second:

I hereby nominate myself for the Errant and Truant Award and also for the Truant and Errant Award.  The explanations are many, but mainly two.

[size=+1]T[/size]he Unpleasant Business (UB) has been getting down to the wire lately, which has required much paperwork, meetings with attorneys and others, court appearances, general worry and frazzle, together with the need for much hugging and cuddling around our house.  Next Wednesday, 4 February, will be the final court appearance--the "Sentencing Hearing".  I am biting my nails (4D, Common) in fear that my Joe may become a prisoner pent (oh, a Gilbert and Sullivan reference!), which is what the ADA, Judge Dread, and the Probation Officer seem to want.  Hopefully, reports of his medical condition will put the fear of G*d into them.

Meanwhile, the lovely and vivacious Mr. and Mrs. Macbeth next door seem to be living it up and immune to punishment for their sins, which are many.

Least I cease to dwell on the poor-me syndrome long enough, let me add that Joe's mother's health is deteriorating, and he has been spending a lot of time caring for her, as she needs an adult in the house 24/7, and her daughter, whose house it is, works two jobs.

Well, there's enough for at least a season of The Guiding Light in all that.  

[size=+1]A[/size]nyway, I'm back at work today, and classes start on Monday, so hopefully I will be able to squeeze time in to do some hhwing from now on.  I just caught up on all of BK's notes.  But the posts?  Aaargh!  Forget it.  I will peruse the back posts from time to time, but I need to do all the reading I can just to stay in the same place.

Am listening to Donald's Faith show (not Prince), and heartily enjoying it.  Well done, Donald.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2004, 10:11:29 AM »

Of course, being intimitely involved with the machinations of people who are not very nice, I know exactly whereof Mr. Orr speaks.  We send him our most excellent vibes and xylophones.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2004, 10:12:20 AM »

Good vibes to WFO and Joe.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2004, 10:23:29 AM »

I have been contacted by one of the "types" I spoke of in my CD comments today - he informs me that I am incorrect that Hawaii was a stereo film - he informs me that UA ran out of money and released it as a mono film.  I honestly don't remember, and I didn't see the film on its initial release at the Egyptian.  I only know it was treated as a "big" film and therefore I find it hard to believe what he's telling me.  The imdb lists it as a stereo film, although they certainly have been wrong on many occasions.  The score, however, most certainly would have been recorded in stereo, and those masters most certainly have gone missing.  

Jay

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2004, 10:25:06 AM »

Good wishes and vibes to DR WFO and Joe.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2004, 10:38:13 AM »

I see perusers, I see lurkers, I see dead people, but I don't see POSTS (well, I see cherce posts, of course, but we could have so many more cherce posts with all these people checking out the posts).  

Can anyone illuminate whether Hawaii was originally presented as stereo?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2004, 10:42:05 AM »

And on a lighter note:

During my sinfully long break from classes, I have managed to read Mr. Ted Chapin's delightfully informative Everything Was Possible:  The Birth of the Musical Follies and Mr. Ethan Mordant[sic]'s informative and much more bitchy One More Kiss: The Broadway Musical in the 1970s.

Now what are the chances that two books with titles taken from the same show would be published in the same year?

[size=+2]I[/size] read Wicked during the trial last year and have only recently purchased the CD, but not seen the show.  And I have some questions for those familiar with both.  Specifically, what is done to the character of Fiyero in the musical?  He marries--Glinda?  And how does he die?  (Hope that's not a spoiler!)  And we hear Elphaba's reaction in the score, but what about Glinda's?

So my reaction to the score itself is very positive.  We have an Evita funeral-cum-flashback opening, but mercifully not as long.  Songs I was particularly taken with:  "Not that Girl", "Defying Gravity", "Dancing Through Life" (the entire musical scene built around it), "For Good".  I think any one of these would zoom to the top of the pop charts if only songs from musicals could zoom to the top of the pop charts as they did in days gone by.  (A couple would have been recorded by major artists before the show opened, a la "If He Walked into My Life".)

Schwartz is, as usual, awfully eclectic.  The only thing that rankled me a bit was his surfeit of internal rhymes--good yes, but sometimes just a bit show-offy.

Who am I, John Simon all of a sudden?  No.  Rudy Dedescu.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2004, 10:43:46 AM »

BK:

Joe and I spent a month in Hawai'i in 1996, and it was all in stereo.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2004, 10:48:27 AM »

Dear Reader Kerry:

Who is that handsome man holding Doris?
--Wayland Flowers

Emily

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2004, 10:48:33 AM »

Ladies and Gentlemen... THE "I HATE WRITING PAPERS" DANCE:

*dance dance dance vomit dance dance procrastinate procrastinate dance dance grrrrr dance dance light coursepack on fire*

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2004, 10:50:58 AM »

Thank you, DR Jay, for a thorough assessment of FOLLIES. Glad to hear there were parts quite worthy of the material. It's always a toss-up between this and SWEENEY TODD as my favorite musical.

I truly love the score of Follies, but I just don't think the show works as a whole.  The Loveland section seems to confuse more people than it entertains.  Even when I saw an excellent production at the 5th Avenue in Seattle (Judy Kaye, Maxine Andrews, Edie Adams) the audience which was totally into the first act, left the theater after the show shaking their heads.  Still I never tire of the music.

On the other hand, Sweeney Todd is, for me, a complete theater experience.  When I first saw the show on Broadway, even the Uris Theater seemed to have been designed as part of the experience.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2004, 10:54:19 AM »

DR Em, it is nice to see you dancing again! LOL!

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2004, 10:55:18 AM »

I am biting my nails (4D, Common) in fear that my Joe may become a prisoner pent (oh, a Gilbert and Sullivan reference!)...  

This may sound dumb, but what does a "prisoner pent" mean?

Good vibes to DR WFO ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jay

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2004, 11:06:08 AM »

I truly love the score of Follies, but I just don't think the show works as a whole.  The Loveland section seems to confuse more people than it entertains.  Even when I saw an excellent production at the 5th Avenue in Seattle (Judy Kaye, Maxine Andrews, Edie Adams) the audience which was totally into the first act, left the theater after the show shaking their heads.  Still I never tire of the music.

On the other hand, Sweeney Todd is, for me, a complete theater experience.  When I first saw the show on Broadway, even the Uris Theater seemed to have been designed as part of the experience.

You'd have no quibbles from me that Sweeney Todd is a far more successfully unified theater piece, with its linear narrative, in both words and song.

But, oh, those songs in Follies!  And, if it's the right production, watching those stars of a certain age belt their hearts out and wiggle their fannies is very special treat!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2004, 11:15:34 AM »

Of course, being intimitely involved with the machinations of people who are not very nice, I know exactly whereof Mr. Orr speaks.  We send him our most excellent vibes and xylophones.

And trumpets and 76 trombones...

In my CD player at work:  "A New York Romance" by Alison Fraser, courtesy of DR TD!!!  Thanks!!

In my DVD player:  nothing.

In my VCR:  nothing.

That's it for now.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up