News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: RANT  (Read 35943 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:RANT
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2008, 02:17:47 PM »

I'm having a spot of luncheon right now (pastrami sandwich from Togo's) and then I may endeavor to write a couple of pages before I toddle off to the DGA.

FJL

« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2008, 02:25:49 PM »

Noel - move New York Sun on LITTLE MERMAID from "pan" to "mixed-very-positive."

Here's the review.  Did you actually read the whole review?

http://www.nysun.com/article/69336?page_no=1
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 02:46:46 PM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2008, 02:28:38 PM »

Plus the Siegels at Talkin' Broadway on LITTLE MERMAID were mixed-but-recommended about the show.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/siegelcolumn/

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #243 on: January 16, 2008, 02:42:05 PM »

I ate a leetle too mucho.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #244 on: January 16, 2008, 02:42:38 PM »

I shall shortly make an attempt to begin a chapter, which I'll call Chapter 10.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #245 on: January 16, 2008, 03:03:05 PM »

I remember reading it and recalled some of it; I looked it up on the interweb.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #246 on: January 16, 2008, 03:03:21 PM »

The chicken and dumplings smell good.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #247 on: January 16, 2008, 03:05:37 PM »

I've read the New York Sun.  It is a pan.

I've read Curtain Up.  It is a pan.  I'm not sure I know how to do a link, but here's a try:

http://www.curtainup.com/littlemermaid.html

Matthew Murray is the theatre critic for Talking Broadway.  They've also a Siegel column, referring to the critical "clambake."

FJL, I've lost sight over whether we're disagreeing about the term "pan" or the word "unanimous" here.  And it's all striking me as downright silly.

In the theatre, of course a "pan" is a write-up that will serve to discourage readers from buying tickets

The Little Mermaid, alas, got twenty pans that I could count, including all of New York's newspapers: Times, Post, Daily News, Newsday and the Sun.  You've found four or five positive reviews, but, compared that to that "clambake," that score of scorn, we have what people generally refer to as unanimity of opinion.  Yes, the technical definition of unanimity would only apply to a 27-0 lambasting.  But I can't imagine you really wanted to debate the definitions of "pan" and "unanimous."

I'm honestly looking forward to reading whatever point you really want to make here.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Kerry

« Reply #248 on: January 16, 2008, 03:08:15 PM »

100 years ago today, THE MERM was born.

Now I feel old.  Older.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #249 on: January 16, 2008, 03:15:51 PM »

Ethel was only 22 when she did GIRL CRAZY. She looks kinda like mygoddaughter Charlotte in this photo.

I just heard a tv news report on the bedbug epidemic: 7000 reported cases last year.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #250 on: January 16, 2008, 03:18:50 PM »

You'd think with my memory for details in my childhood, that I'd remember, but I think I was overwhelmed being in an actual TV studio like NBC - I do have vivid memories of Peter Potter from that evening.

Knowing your amazing mind, I know you'll come to you to at some point.  Thanks, BK!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #251 on: January 16, 2008, 03:21:58 PM »

Larry-- if they still make it, perhaps you could line your shelves with "No Bugs, M' Lady"  which cracked me up as the name of a product even when I was little.
I like boat races.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #252 on: January 16, 2008, 03:31:42 PM »

a PBS miniseries called THE JEWISH AMERICANS that runs four hours.

I saw part of the episode on early Jewish Theatre. It was very interesting, and well-done.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2008, 03:35:45 PM »

It's snowing here---big big flakes, looking like torn up of pieces of kleenex. And it's sticking!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Michael

« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »

100 years ago today, THE MERM was born.

She doesn't look a day over 99
Never stop dreaming.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #255 on: January 16, 2008, 03:54:23 PM »

Rather unusual for Georgia, isn't it?

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #256 on: January 16, 2008, 03:54:34 PM »

And we want pictures!

Edisaurus

« Reply #257 on: January 16, 2008, 03:56:47 PM »

Rather unusual for Georgia, isn't it?

Very unusual!

But I'm at work and it's dark, so unless it's around in the morning, no pictures...
 :(

Edisaurus

« Reply #258 on: January 16, 2008, 03:57:18 PM »

I want to live at twigamore.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #259 on: January 16, 2008, 03:58:32 PM »

TV Reminder:

RENO 911! starts its new season tonight at 10:30 on Comedy Central.

I'll be watching this!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #260 on: January 16, 2008, 03:58:42 PM »

My Cabaret season has started.

Last night Judy Blazer and Martin Vidnovic: Songs of lerner and Loewe

Tonight: Ann Hampton Callaway who've I been wanting to see for the longest time,

Coming up: Michelle Lee, Jason Graae, John Tartaglia (Avenue Q, Sesame Street)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #261 on: January 16, 2008, 04:01:22 PM »

Bi-Polar Bear

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 04:01:38 PM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #262 on: January 16, 2008, 04:12:18 PM »

I'm with bk in the anti-cell phone rant. I never make calls when I'm on the highway, and try not to when i'm driving, unless I'm running late and need to let my client know.

I am in agreement also. It also annoys me when they come to the desk at the library and expect to be served while they are yakking away. I find that terribly rude. I also see it when I am shopping and there is a line at the checkout line.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #263 on: January 16, 2008, 04:18:41 PM »

The computer saga continues. As I mentioned earlier in the week, we originally bought, from Gateway, the maker of our computer, a 500 gigabyte replacement hard drive for our old drive which died. It came quite fast but when it came we saw that it was the wrong drive. When we called Customer Service/Tech Support we found out that our system wouldn't recognize a 500 gig drive even if it was the correct one. We exchanged that one for a 250 gig drive. On Monday we sent the drive back to Gateway (at least that was for free). Yesterday I went to the Gateway site to check on possible delivery dates for our memory (we're upgrading that also) and the new hard drive. Well, the memory is supposed to arrive today but the Hard Drive had an estimated ship date of February 11. I thought that couldn't be right. We ordered it on Saturday the 12. Why would it take a month or more to SHIP? I came home and told Anthony. I said I would check the site again in a couple of days in case there was an error. I then got ready to go to the theatre. I came home and Ant said he had called Gateway after I left and it turns out yet another mistake happened. Ant spoke to a supervisor when he called and explained the situation. She said that we should not have been sold the 250 gig HD because Gateway doesn't make or sell them anymore. But they are still in the system and on their Web site!!! Anthony said no one had told us, either by e-mail or phone, that the HD didn't exist and that we've been without a computer for almost three weeks now. We need a hard drive and we shouldn't have to wait for a month only to be told we won't be getting the part. She agreed. She cancelled the order for the 250 gig HD (I can't believe it was still in their system being processed) and we are now expecting delivery of a 160 gig HD on Friday. She said they would send it out express delivery at no charge to us. I only hope it's the right drive. The good thing in all of this is that I am spending less and less to upgrade the hard drive. It went from $134.99 to $99 to $79 (for the 160 gig) but I know why Gateway has been in trouble for the past few years and why they were bought out by Acer last year. Gateway retains the name for their brand but they are owned and operated by Acer Computers now. A word of warning to you all. Avoid Gateway if you're looking to buy a new Windows-based PC!!!

I cringed when I read that Gateway was bought by ACER. I have had very bad experiences with their product and the word I have for it not even nice.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #264 on: January 16, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »

Boy, you've got THAT right, DR Vixmom -  I see people driving ALL THE TIME in New York, yapping on their hand-held cell phones!!

Of course, New York also boasts the worst drivers in the nation, according to a recent report by one of the national insurance companies.

I think there are some in Chicago and SoCal that would be a close second

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #265 on: January 16, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »

(((TCB)))

(((Larry)))

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »

We also have palmetto bugs, which are larger than roaches, and they can fly!

EEEK!!!

I just looked a picture of one!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2008, 04:35:51 PM »

Just sang through the entirety of the act one music, much of which I've rewritten in total or at least arranged and adjusted - I'm still having trouble getting the other guy's music that I've left into my fingers.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #268 on: January 16, 2008, 04:35:53 PM »

Cell phones should be banned in a lot more places than cars. I am tired of sitting in restaurants listening to other people's conversations or standing in checkout lines between two people on their phones.  No matter how many announcements are made, I am sick of being at a play, concert or movie and hearing phones ring --- no not ring, make some weird nnoise or play some strange tune.  The whole world has turned into one big phonebooth and it's time to draw the line.  I do not have a cellphone.  I have a phone at home with an answering machine and a phone at work with voice mail.  I don't need to talk to people when I am someplace else.  Just because the technology exists, it doesn't mean it is needed.

I have actually seen college professors throw students out of a classroom because of student's cell phone and I dont blame them.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #269 on: January 16, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »

I also wrote a couple of pages, but that's all I'll get done today, unless I write some more when I come home.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up