News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: RANT  (Read 35578 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
RANT
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:36:04 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes ranted, and now it is time for you to post until the ranting cows come home.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:16:53 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:RANT
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:37:12 AM »

And the word of the day is: SCORBUTIC!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:38:08 AM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.  Who ARE you people?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 12:38:20 AM »

I don't think I've posted nearly enough today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 12:39:07 AM »

Of course, I mean yesterday, since what was today is yesterday and what was tomorrow is today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 12:39:23 AM »

No one in the jernt but me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 01:18:06 AM »

I shall now toddle off to the bedroom environment.

singdaw

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 03:10:11 AM »

***FRUSTRATION BEGONE VIBES***[/size]
for DR Edisaurus![/size]

singdaw

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 03:14:30 AM »

***COPING VIBES***[/size]
to DR elmore3003[/size]

singdaw

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 03:14:49 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 04:36:59 AM »

Good morning, Ben and Bowl!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 04:38:57 AM »

I had my rant last night, but if today is anything like yesterday---well, I don't know what I'll do. I have to show something today and I have wasted at least 3 days there while they tried to get the project from a final cut editing system to AVID.

But, at least I got caught up on all the posts!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ben

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 04:40:30 AM »

Morning Amy.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 04:40:47 AM »

And now I'm caught up

Edisaurus

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 04:41:40 AM »

I'm with bk in the anti-cell phone rant. I never make calls when I'm on the highway, and try not to when i'm driving, unless I'm running late and need to let my client know.

Ben

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 04:46:59 AM »

I saw Is He Dead? last night. It's lots of fun. It's the "new" Mark Twain play adapted by David Ives. The play is actually just OK and the adaptation doesn't make it much better but it's fun because Norbert Leo Butz is so good. The rest of the cast does well, including John McMartin who played the original me (spoo I mean Ben  ;)) in Follies. It's a standard comedy of the time and probably would not have been done had it not been written by Mark Twain. It's a slight story about an artist who pretends to be dead so his work will gain in popularity and price. The ruse works but then he has to figure out how to get out of the situation so he can get his life back. It got rave reviews when it opened soon after the strike ended. I don't know that I would rave about it but I certainly would say go and see it, just to see Butz.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 04:50:11 AM »

Just to play devil's advocate here for a moment.....

What's the difference between talking on a hands free cell and talking to a passenger in the car on a distraction level?

BTW the no cells phones law has been on the books in New York for a couple of years now, in fact I believe our county  may have been the first in the country to pass such a law... I have not seen it enforced however and it  makes not a whit of difference  

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ben

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 04:53:52 AM »

While at the theatre last night I felt old again. The two young women sitting next to me were discussing theatre. One was a college student from Texas who just moved to NYC a week ago for a two month internship at one of the big financial firms (can'tremember the name, another sign of old  :D). As I said, they were discussing what to see. The subject of Grease came up and I didn't cringe and twitch but I did listen and the woman from Texas asked about the history of Grease and her friend said that it was just a movie. It had never been a stage show before and this production was based on the movie. I was actually very nice after my friend uncurled my fingers from my arm rest. I explained that, indeed, Grease had begun as a Chicago stage musical, then moved Off-Broadway and then on to Broadway where it had held the title of Longest Running Broadway Musical for a short while. They were surprised to find out that there was life before the movie of Grease. We then talked about other shows and what she should see during her two months in New York.

As we left the theatre they said goodbye and said thanks for the recommendations and perhaps we would see each other at another show.

I went home and felt good for helping her but old for knowing about Grease  ;)

Ben

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 04:54:35 AM »

Hi, Deb.

Ben

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 04:55:17 AM »

Hi, Tom.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 04:55:32 AM »

Hi, Megan.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 05:10:37 AM »

The computer saga continues. As I mentioned earlier in the week, we originally bought, from Gateway, the maker of our computer, a 500 gigabyte replacement hard drive for our old drive which died. It came quite fast but when it came we saw that it was the wrong drive. When we called Customer Service/Tech Support we found out that our system wouldn't recognize a 500 gig drive even if it was the correct one. We exchanged that one for a 250 gig drive. On Monday we sent the drive back to Gateway (at least that was for free). Yesterday I went to the Gateway site to check on possible delivery dates for our memory (we're upgrading that also) and the new hard drive. Well, the memory is supposed to arrive today but the Hard Drive had an estimated ship date of February 11. I thought that couldn't be right. We ordered it on Saturday the 12. Why would it take a month or more to SHIP? I came home and told Anthony. I said I would check the site again in a couple of days in case there was an error. I then got ready to go to the theatre. I came home and Ant said he had called Gateway after I left and it turns out yet another mistake happened. Ant spoke to a supervisor when he called and explained the situation. She said that we should not have been sold the 250 gig HD because Gateway doesn't make or sell them anymore. But they are still in the system and on their Web site!!! Anthony said no one had told us, either by e-mail or phone, that the HD didn't exist and that we've been without a computer for almost three weeks now. We need a hard drive and we shouldn't have to wait for a month only to be told we won't be getting the part. She agreed. She cancelled the order for the 250 gig HD (I can't believe it was still in their system being processed) and we are now expecting delivery of a 160 gig HD on Friday. She said they would send it out express delivery at no charge to us. I only hope it's the right drive. The good thing in all of this is that I am spending less and less to upgrade the hard drive. It went from $134.99 to $99 to $79 (for the 160 gig) but I know why Gateway has been in trouble for the past few years and why they were bought out by Acer last year. Gateway retains the name for their brand but they are owned and operated by Acer Computers now. A word of warning to you all. Avoid Gateway if you're looking to buy a new Windows-based PC!!!

singdaw

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 05:17:24 AM »

it  makes not a whit of difference

Boy, you've got THAT right, DR Vixmom -  I see people driving ALL THE TIME in New York, yapping on their hand-held cell phones!!

Of course, New York also boasts the worst drivers in the nation, according to a recent report by one of the national insurance companies.

singdaw

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 05:18:09 AM »

So sorry to hear about the continuing computer woes, DR Ben.  Some day you will look back on all of this and laugh...  :)

singdaw

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 05:18:33 AM »

Oh, and thanks for the theatre report!

singdaw

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 05:21:41 AM »

I'm creating a new act for a bipolar cabaret performer.

I'm thinking of creating a medley by combining "Lucky to Be Me" [from On the Town ] with "It Sucks To Be Me" [from Avenue Q ].

Also, "Everybody Say's Don't" [from Anyone Can Whistle ] with "Yes" [from 70, Girls, 70 ].

:)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 05:21:57 AM by singdaw »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 05:23:01 AM »

Wow DR BEN - so much for the convenience of online shopping.

DR EDISAURUS is Miss Sprocket Holes of 2008 - I hope she wears her sash and crown to work!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 05:24:05 AM »

I am horrified but not surprised at the conversation DR BEN overheard last night.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 05:27:29 AM »

While at the theatre last night I felt old again. The two young women sitting next to me were discussing theatre. One was a college student from Texas who just moved to NYC a week ago for a two month internship at one of the big financial firms (can'tremember the name, another sign of old  :D). As I said, they were discussing what to see. The subject of Grease came up and I didn't cringe and twitch but I did listen and the woman from Texas asked about the history of Grease and her friend said that it was just a movie. It had never been a stage show before and this production was based on the movie. I was actually very nice after my friend uncurled my fingers from my arm rest. I explained that, indeed, Grease had begun as a Chicago stage musical, then moved Off-Broadway and then on to Broadway where it had held the title of Longest Running Broadway Musical for a short while. They were surprised to find out that there was life before the movie of Grease. We then talked about other shows and what she should see during her two months in New York.

As we left the theatre they said goodbye and said thanks for the recommendations and perhaps we would see each other at another show.

I went home and felt good for helping her but old for knowing about Grease  ;)

When I was in high school we went to see Grease on Broadway as a field trip

It became very controversial when the parents found out that it was "about gangs" and "celebrated unchastity"!

;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 05:28:07 AM »

Good morning,  vixmom, elmore3003, JRand57, td, singdaw, ArnoldMBrockman, and Ben (I hope I didn't miss anyone),

Today marks the anniversary of the day my mother was killed.  I find it almost impossible to believe that it has been 14 years.  Impossible!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up