Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WEARY BLEARY EYEBALLS  (Read 42525 times)

Jennifer

Re:WEARY BLEARY EYEBALLS
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2008, 08:50:04 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Elan.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »

Curious what you Heroes/Harry Potter fans think of Betsy's comment last night that the meeting between Soresh and Syler was very similar to Dumbledore and Voldemort (i.e., the mentors both told their charges they were special, etc., setting in motion their turns to the dark side).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2008, 09:01:10 AM »

DR MattH, how come there will not be any new MEDIUMS for a month?

I was just getting used to watching it again. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2008, 09:08:29 AM »

RE: last night's MEDIUM

SPOILERS

I also knew that Allison was going to be proven right (re: what she saw in her dreams). It's slightly crazy that she is still always doubted.

I also did not realize the connection re: the ex building those replicas. But i did notice that he was wearing gloves the first time allison saw him. And it occured to me that he or the new husband were probably involved.

I didn't like the ending (guy who was going to hire joe selling the company). I don't really get why joe isn't doing anything re: his former employer. He should not have been fired. And considering the trauma he went through he should do something! Especially since there are no other companies in town that do that business!

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2008, 09:12:33 AM »

So tell us, DR singingnymph, how did the interview go?  Did your skirt cooperate?  ;)
My skirt was no problem, but the interview itself was so-so.
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2008, 09:13:48 AM »

Ron, with all due respect, I don't understand this concept:  "Charlie Chaplin 'whistled' his themes to competent musicans who created the scores for all his movies.  Chaplin never wrote one note of music."

Well, it seems from what you say that Chaplin never wrote down his music.  If he actually created the melody line that we hear, then he certainly wrote the notes of the melody line, even if someone else wrote the accompaniment.  

Thank God Jerry Herman and Stephen Sondheim aren't whistlers.

I don't disagree that the "whistler" composed the melody (unwritten as it was).  But to compose a score based upon a melody requires real musical skill/talent.  I don't think Chaplin's few whistled notes MADE "Limelight" a beautifully scored film....it's the musicians who took those notes and created the underscore that MADE "Limelight" a beautifully scored film.

I guess you can call me a snob in that regard.  The adapters should have been nominated in the "adaptation" category.  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:20:28 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2008, 09:18:31 AM »

But Irving Berlin relied on others to write down his music, as did Lionel Bart and Bob Merrill.  Would anyone argue they didn't write their melodies?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2008, 09:21:18 AM »

Ron, with all due respect, I don't understand this concept:  "Charlie Chaplin 'whistled' his themes to competent musicans who created the scores for all his movies.  Chaplin never wrote one note of music."

Well, it seems from what you say that Chaplin never wrote down his music.  If he actually created the melody line that we hear, then he certainly wrote the notes of the melody line, even if someone else wrote the accompaniment.  

The problem hear is with the operative word "wrote".

Can we agree that Chaplin "composed" the melodies that someone else then transcribed.

(And, of course, createive credit goes to the "composer" not the "writer of notes".)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2008, 09:22:49 AM »

The problem hear is with the operative word "wrote".

Can we agree that Chaplin "composed" the melodies that someone else then transcribed.

(And, of course, createive credit goes to the "composer" not the "writer of notes".)

der Brucer

I've just had a thought:  "It was a dark and stormy morning, and after the sudden death of Mayor Small , things in Crabtown would never be normal again."

If I hire Stephen King to flesh that out into a novel, should I get full credit for writing it?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:26:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2008, 09:25:23 AM »

I thoroughly enjoyed last night's "Medium".

That said, I am appalled that NBC is airing something else in "Medium's" time slot the next four weeks.

Might this not be the network's way of having some new material for sweeps?

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2008, 09:25:51 AM »

So if someone were blind and dictated a novel that he or she came up with to a typist, that person who dictated the novel would not be considered the "writer" of that novel?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:26:55 AM by FJL »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2008, 09:27:28 AM »

Might this not be the network's way of having some new material for sweeps?

der Brucer

"Medium" just started its third season three weeks ago...should its new episodes not be counted upon for "sweeps"?

I, for one, ain't gonna be watching something new at 10 p.m. on a Monday night, that's for sure.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2008, 09:28:35 AM »

So if someone were blind and dictated a novel that he or she came up with to a typist, that person who dictated the novel would not be considered the "writer" of that novel?

That blind person is dictating every word of that novel.  Of course he or she is the writer.

Do you think creating an underscore from a few notes of melody is nothing more significant than typing?

Is taking 10-15 seconds of whistling and then creating a score of 35-55 minutes the same thing as typing word-for-word dictation?

I don't believe it is.  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:31:29 AM by Ron Pulliam »

FJL

« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2008, 09:32:38 AM »

OK, I misunderstood.  If Chaplin just came up with a few notes and not a whole melody with pitches and rhythms, that's different.  

singdaw

« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2008, 09:43:30 AM »

…and it’s JUST my size, too!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2008, 09:45:28 AM »

OK, I misunderstood.  If Chaplin just came up with a few notes and not a whole melody with pitches and rhythms, that's different.  

I'm all for Chaplin being credited for his "songs".  After all, he wrote "Smile" which was from "Limelight."  That is HIS...just as Carly Simon's song from "Working Girl" was hers.

And Irving Berlin and Bob Merrill, et al, were given just and due credit for their songs as they should have been.

But your comment above IS my argument...counterpoint, changes in keys, placement (Chaplin did tell his arrangers WHERE to put the music, to be fair), etc., is the "scoring" effort I think of in film (not the songs on which musicals succeed or fail).  

I realize, of course, that the argument can be made that these folks are "arrangers" and/or "orchestrators" and not composers.

But I think sometimes a very fine line is drawn between arranging/orchestrating and composing.  Chaplin never had a clue about most of that.  He had a melody in mind and he knew where he wanted it to appear.

In fact, the most famous collaborator he had among Hollywood musicans was Alfred Newman, who did the honors for him in the movie "Modern Times."  Newman, the score's conductor, and David Raksin and Edward B. Powell all worked from Chaplin's "whistles", to provide material to fill in where Chaplin's whistling couldn't. Whatever "original" material any of those men contributed never was credited.  The credit read "Original Music by Charles Chaplin".  And it may be Chaplin had whistled more than one theme...certainly, the melodic memory anyone has of the films he made are due to Chaplin.

Chaplin always got sole credit for the score.  But IMO, it was always a song he "composed".  The rest of the score was "adaptation" rather than original composition.

Of course, that's movie scoring and not the same thing as musicals for theater or screen.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:46:48 AM by Ron Pulliam »

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2008, 09:48:28 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Elan!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2008, 09:57:11 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And boy are my arms tired.

<ba-doom chick>

-I guess I'm still in joke mode from last night.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2008, 09:57:32 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR ELAN!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »

I am home sick today. I was thinking about going in for a few hours to make some calls and see a client, but the idea of getting up and dressed and getting on the bus seemed too daunting. So here I am.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2008, 09:59:38 AM »

As for the Oscar Nominations...

Yeah, I'd say the only "shock" was the omission of "The Simpsons Movie" from the Animation category.  However, it will be interesting to see which of the three nominees come away with the win.  "Persepolis" is certainly the odd-one out, but it would be cool if it won.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2008, 10:00:13 AM »

~~~~~FEEL BETTER VIBES TO DR TPUNK~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2008, 10:00:47 AM »

And when it did the Music categories become "Achievement..."?
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »

I'm pretty happy with the Oscar nominations. Yes, it would have been nice for Amy Adams to get recognized for Enchantment, but I have a feeling that she's going to have many future opportunities. I thought George Clooney was great in Michael Clayton, as were Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton. I think the supporting actress and actor categories are the most competitive.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2008, 10:01:39 AM »

Thanks Jose.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2008, 10:03:33 AM »

RE: last night's MEDIUM

SPOILERS

I don't really get why joe isn't doing anything re: his former employer. He should not have been fired. And considering the trauma he went through he should do something! Especially since there are no other companies in town that do that business!

He already turned down a chance to sue the company.

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2008, 10:04:34 AM »

DR TPunk - sorry you're still feeling under the weather, but I'm glad you were able to call in.  If today hadn't been a day off for me, I have a feeling I'd have done the same thing.

Take care!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2008, 10:08:07 AM »

Thanks Ginny! This is my second cold/flu of the season. The flu has hit both the kids and staff at work particularly hard this year.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2008, 10:08:22 AM »

Thanks Jose.

You're welcome, DR TPunk.

Do you still need a delivery of Sudafed? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up