Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: ROCK CANDY  (Read 33486 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:ROCK CANDY
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2008, 07:52:38 AM »

And Jonathan Cake isn't even IN this one!?!
They sure could use a "She of the Evil Eye," though!

Hmm..

Just what was he doing with that Tonka truck, anyhow?    :P

Is that a. . .oh, never mind.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2008, 07:54:36 AM »

Media:

CD:  BK, you must, must, must get this one:  Quarteto em Cy with The Tamba Trio.  In fact, you need to get everything ever recorded by Quarteto em Cy and The Tamba Trio (later Tamba 4 when they recorded for CTi).  You will be in aural heaven.

DVD:  I guess MattH and I are both reviewing The Jewish Americans, because that's up next for me.  We've also been wending our way through Heroes (up to about episode 6 or 7 now).  Interesting and mostly enjoyable, but not the "Lost" redux some people led me to believe it was.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2008, 07:57:41 AM »

As I emailed JR last night, the Mad Doctor Walter Freeman's son Frank "responded" (not really) to me on the American Experience website yesterday.  I had asked what he thought of his comments on the long-ago E! Mysteries and Scandals that his father had lobotomized FF and that he had the picture to prove it.  Since I then I've shown the picture was part of a 1949 Seattle P-I photo essay on lobotomy (that's not a joke, folks) where the patient's face is clearly seen in another photo.  It's not Frances.  And I also got the complete lobotomy and other surgery logs from state archives, where they're still extant.  Frances is not mentioned.  Frank Freeman offers a one sentence (false) rebuttal, saying her records "disappeared" years ago.  He's obviously unaware her sister Edith had them (and read parts of them to me), and that the hospital found them again a couple of years ago and were ready to release them to her nephew, but then decided he needed to get written consent from all living nieces and nephews, which he declined to do.

End of mini-rant.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2008, 08:02:39 AM »

TOD:  DVD:

In anticipation of TORCHWOOD's arrival, I've been re-watching season one of Doctor Who.  Dang, that show has some really good writing.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2008, 08:06:18 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I shall be heading down to the rehearsal studio shortly for a round of auditions.  I wonder what today will bring?...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2008, 08:07:17 AM »

Expect a few surprises or a shock to the system around the time that the Moon in Virgo opposes Uranus in Pisces (12:46PM PST).

OK.... So, does this mean that whoever has the 3:45pm(EST) appointment today should or should not come in the room to audition?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2008, 08:08:20 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

Radio: WQXR

Magazines: The year-end Fiction issue of "The New Yorker".
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2008, 08:10:28 AM »

I don't understand any connection between LOST and HEROES except that they are both serialized dramas. Any other connection is completely ludicrous.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2008, 08:10:44 AM »

I guess this wouldn't be a good time to say that we wear t-shirts this time of year, would it?
If you wear a wet t-shirt, does the wind-chill factor go up?

Or are you the right person to ask this question?

:o

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2008, 08:12:54 AM »

Yes, DR JMK, THE JEWISH AMERICANS is my next review assignment. I did not watch the program on PBS when it aired over the last weeks, so this will be my first exposure to it. I will probably get to the first episode this afternoon, but I won't try to watch the entire thing in one day (as I did PIONEERS OF BROADCASTING). This looks longer and, obviously, something I have less expertise with before viewing it.

FJL

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2008, 08:13:54 AM »

WIND-CHILL MAHONEY TIME - my new sitcom treatment about a puppet weather forecaster.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2008, 08:14:40 AM »

Now, I must head downstairs to clean up for my usual Friday outing.

WBBL.

JMK

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2008, 08:15:40 AM »

I don't understand any connection between LOST and HEROES except that they are both serialized dramas. Any other connection is completely ludicrous.

Well, I agree with you, but several fans of both shows who told me I needed to start watching Heroes indicated it was very similar in its complexity and the strands between the characters.  I find that comparison wanting, to say the least--Lost is so consistently clever in the way its characters' histories have interacted that I find Heroes' attempts to interweave its backstories a little wanting (at least so far--maybe it improves later in the season).  That said, we're very much enjoying the show, we just don't think it's at Lost's level.  Your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 08:15:56 AM by JMK »

JMK

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2008, 08:16:52 AM »

Yes, DR JMK, THE JEWISH AMERICANS is my next review assignment. I did not watch the program on PBS when it aired over the last weeks, so this will be my first exposure to it. I will probably get to the first episode this afternoon, but I won't try to watch the entire thing in one day (as I did PIONEERS OF BROADCASTING). This looks longer and, obviously, something I have less expertise with before viewing it.

Have a bagel (and some lox) and start kvetching about the weather and what it does to your joints, and you're pretty much an expert already.   ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2008, 08:17:03 AM »

TOD:

CD:  My complete J.S. Bach boxed set.  All 156 discs.    ::)

So, you're all Bached in!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2008, 08:17:04 AM »

And I'm off...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2008, 08:20:01 AM »

I do not suggest making rock candy if you're an impatient type.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2008, 08:20:56 AM »

Well, I agree with you, but several fans of both shows who told me I needed to start watching Heroes indicated it was very similar in its complexity and the strands between the characters.  I find that comparison wanting, to say the least--Lost is so consistently clever in the way its characters' histories have interacted that I find Heroes' attempts to interweave its backstories a little wanting (at least so far--maybe it improves later in the season).  That said, we're very much enjoying the show, we just don't think it's at Lost's level.  Your mileage may vary.

In Season 1, I thought "Heroes" every bit as complex as "Lost", though different.  This past season's episodes, save one, were badly wanting.  That one episode -- "Four Months Ago" -- was absolutely brilliant and a promise that the writers had not lost the magic from Season 1.  The creator of "Heroes" has publicly admitted they went seriously awry in most of Season 2, especially with the "new" characters.  He also admitted they get seriously carried away with Hiro in the past and that arc should have been resolved much earlier.  He promised they'd do better in future episodes.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2008, 08:26:19 AM »

Good morning, all! Around 5 this morning, I felt a bug crawling on me, and by 5:05, I had tracked it down on my pillow and killed it.  It was indeed a bedbug, so I rose immediately, put on the coffee, took my bath, carted all trash down to the basement and wrapped every utensil and pan I'd washed on Tuesday evening in plastic bags. At 7 am, I was at the laundromat, by 7:15 I was having breakfast - the worst western omelette ever - and by 8 am, I'd been to the pharmacy and purchased a bug "bomb" to set off in the apartment.

I packed my things for the office, and by 8:30, I'd finished the laundry.  Shortly thereafter, the movers arrived to carry 43 cartons to my new storage space.  I set off the bug bomb, went up to the storage space to complete the move, and now here I am.  I've been up for 6 and a half hours and I'm exhausted.

I have no media watch to provide today, sadly.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2008, 08:31:21 AM »

Also TOD: Books

Still reading Laura Shapiro's Something From the Oven.

Finished the essays section of Michael Ruhlman's Elements of Cooking, now I'm on to the more fun definitions section of the book.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2008, 08:32:21 AM »

And the word of the day is: FOOZLE!

And The Song Of The Day Is: BE A CLOWN

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »

DR MattH, re: your posts on CHUCK.

Yes I read your posts and would have seen that CHUCK was on. But i'm not talking about people at HHW.

If you remember i actually saw it was on on Monday. BUt like i said it was just a fluke that i saw it.

The only promo i saw for it was when i tuned in to CELEBRITY APPRENTICE. I saw the ad you mentioned with the cast. IT was very cute.   But i only saw it at 9pm (after the first episode was over).

I don't know if other CHUCK viewers saw promos during the week. I just know that i didn't.  Personally the only time i think a show should switch days is if it announces the change during the previous episode.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2008, 08:40:25 AM »

DR MattH, re: your posts on CHUCK.

Yes I read your posts and would have seen that CHUCK was on. But i'm not talking about people at HHW.

If you remember i actually saw it was on on Monday. BUt like i said it was just a fluke that i saw it.

The only promo i saw for it was when i tuned in to CELEBRITY APPRENTICE. I saw the ad you mentioned with the cast. IT was very cute.   But i only saw it at 9pm (after the first episode was over).

I don't know if other CHUCK viewers saw promos during the week. I just know that i didn't.  Personally the only time i think a show should switch days is if it announces the change during the previous episode.

I saw one promo for "Chuck" and I think it was during "Biggest Loser" on Tuesday evening.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 08:47:39 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2008, 08:43:09 AM »

DR JOSE, re: last night's CELEBRITY APPRENTICE.

SPOILERS

I am so annoyed with the men!  I hate that Trump calls them stars. To me they are not.  They simply got one $10K donation. I hate that their donation showed up 1 minute before the deadline, while nellie's woman showed up 1 minute after. Ughh!

I absolutely hate that they are letting them call their celeb contacts to get donations. This has ruined the show for me.  I think if they want to use themselves to promote their activity then that is fine. But it makes the tasks meaningless to allow them to call the rich people they know.

The only man i can tolerate is stephen baldwin. Even though he is opinionated, he seems to get things done. I think others like lennox lewis seem nice enough. But he's too quiet and i have not seen him do anything.

Don't like tito or the annoying british guy. And don't get me started on Vinnie (is that the Sopranos guy?). Next week looks good.

They did not choose well for the women. ANd i'm glad jenny went. She was nice. BUt not a leader in business.

My fav is marilu. I think she has been doing well. And although i don't personally care for Omarosa. I think she is good at business and has done quite well.

I don't get that the women lose by $1000 and trump calls them losers. With nellie's woman they would have won for sure!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 08:43:48 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2008, 08:46:34 AM »

I actually don't watch many shows "live", I record them.

And i don't watch that much on NBC either.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2008, 08:47:04 AM »

Good morning, all! Around 5 this morning, I felt a bug crawling on me, and by 5:05, I had tracked it down on my pillow and killed it.  It was indeed a bedbug, so I rose immediately, put on the coffee, took my bath, carted all trash down to the basement and wrapped every utensil and pan I'd washed on Tuesday evening in plastic bags. At 7 am, I was at the laundromat, by 7:15 I was having breakfast - the worst western omelette ever - and by 8 am, I'd been to the pharmacy and purchased a bug "bomb" to set off in the apartment.

I packed my things for the office, and by 8:30, I'd finished the laundry.  Shortly thereafter, the movers arrived to carry 43 cartons to my new storage space.  I set off the bug bomb, went up to the storage space to complete the move, and now here I am.  I've been up for 6 and a half hours and I'm exhausted.

I have no media watch to provide today, sadly.

You have my empathy, Larry....   :'(

JMK

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2008, 08:49:16 AM »

So, you're all Bached in!

There's a fabulous original Percy Faith piece called "Bach's Lunch" (get it?) that he recorded when "Joy" (AKA Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring) was popular.  Percy also recorded "Joy."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2008, 08:51:22 AM »

Caught up with "Project Runway" last night....and I was surprised by the various ideas the designers put forth.  I liked Chris' better than the judges, and leave it Michael Kors to make some dismissive movie-wardrobe comment (Joan Cusack in "Working Girl" indeed!).

Christian's ego is appalling at times.  The disappointment on his face when he didn't WIN was unmistakable.  Granted, the judges gave him his props, especially in their deliberations, but I wonder if they often try to encourage others and reward based on that rather than their favorite design?  That said, there was totally nothing wrong with Ricky's winning outfit!  I liked Sweet Pea's best, though.

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2008, 08:52:19 AM »

Not to seem like i'm disagreeing with everything DR MattH says, but i actually can see why people would say LOST and HEROES are similar.

I mean i would definitely recommend either to someone who only watched one of these.  Plus most people i know who watch one, actually watch both.

I"m not saying the stories are the same.  But they are both quite complex. And to me are the same style of show.

Btw, i cannot wait till LOST starts! It's one of my favorite shows (as is HEROES).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2008, 08:52:21 AM »

There's a fabulous original Percy Faith piece called "Bach's Lunch" (get it?)

Can you 'splain it to me?

8)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up