Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: ROCK CANDY  (Read 33522 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:ROCK CANDY
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2008, 08:58:49 AM »

Not to seem like i'm disagreeing with everything DR MattH says, but i actually can see why people would say LOST and HEROES are similar.

I mean i would definitely recommend either to someone who only watched one of these.  Plus most people i know who watch one, actually watch both.

I"m not saying the stories are the same.  But they are both quite complex. And to me are the same style of show.

Btw, i cannot wait till LOST starts! It's one of my favorite shows (as is HEROES).

Their dissimilarites are in the story arcs.

Their similarities are in the supernatural events that impact/affect the characters, and the variety of characters, each of whom is unique.

In "Lost", the island is a mystical/magical/incomprehensible place where they must survive, and the world outside seems "lost".

In "Heroes", the world is changing and humans are evolving, several of whom are developing mystical/magical/incomprehensible powers and must hide from the world in order to survive.

In "Lost", the major characters all have different experiences with whatever power controls the island.  In "Heroes", the major characters all have different powers with which they must unite and save the world.

In "Lost", many of the major characters want to return to a normal life while a few wish to remain and experience the unexplainable.  In "Heroes", some of the major characters want to return to a normal life while others wish to use their powers to make the world a better place for everyone.

There are no other shows like them.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2008, 08:59:40 AM »

Can you 'splain it to me?

8)

I have to 'splain it to Lucy first, then you.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

singdaw

« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2008, 09:01:33 AM »

Perhaps DR FJL will re-write "Magic to Do" as "'Splainin' to Do"!  :D

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2008, 09:03:03 AM »

Hello, everyone.

It's chilly here, too. No wet t-shirts in these parts.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2008, 09:05:05 AM »

Ooh!  Ooh!

I went and started

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8] Page 4 [/size][/color][/shadow][/glow]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2008, 09:07:59 AM »

Clean and Healthy Environment Vibes
to
DR ELMORE!

and improved health vibes to you, as well![/b]

singdaw

« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2008, 09:09:04 AM »

DR elmore3003, my heart goes out to you.  NO ONE should have to endure this...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2008, 09:09:07 AM »

Last night's "Ugly Betty" was a very mixed bag for me.  I thought it too random/disconnected and it was a chore to "care" about any of the characters.

To the writers:  YES! I get it!  Betty loves Henry.  Henry loves Betty!  Each is jealous of the other in social situations where someone hits on either of them.  Move the story ALONG, please.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2008, 09:09:56 AM »

I recall rock candy from my youth, but it was clear--none of the jewel-like colors that Singdaw showed us. I don't see it often now, but I don't look for it, either. (Maybe it's because I get enamored of the chocolates.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2008, 09:12:25 AM »

Media:

DVD:  We've also been wending our way through Heroes (up to about episode 6 or 7 now).  Interesting and mostly enjoyable, but not the "Lost" redux some people led me to believe it was.

You're nowhere NEAR far enough into Season 3 to lose heart.  The season started off a bit wonky, IMO (with so many characters located "elsewhere"), but once things start cracking, they don't stop.  You WILL be on the edge of your chair before it's over!

I TOTALLY misread the very comment I quoted...I mentally reversed the shows you were discussing.

Never mind....
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:41:38 AM by Ron Pulliam »

singdaw

« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2008, 09:15:06 AM »

I thought DR JMK was viewing Season 1?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2008, 09:15:07 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Still rainy here, as it was all the livelong night.  I had a string of really odd dreams this morning - in each I'd just gotten up out of bed and was doing stuff and convinced that that was real not a dream - then I'd wake up and be in bed, then dream I wasn't, then was, etc about six times.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2008, 09:15:20 AM »

I must de-groggify.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2008, 09:15:47 AM »

Big Rock Candy Mountain

One evening as the sun went down and the jungle fire was burning
Down the track came a hobo hiking, and he said "boys I'm not turning
"I'm headed for a land that's far away, beside the crystal fountains
"So come with me, we'll go and see the Big Rock Candy Mountains"

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains there's a land that's fair and bright
Where the hand-outs grow on bushes and you sleep out every night
Where the boxcars all are empty and the sun shines every day
On the birds and the bees and the cigarette trees
The lemonade springs where the bluebird sings
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains all the cops have wooden legs
And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth and the hens lay soft-boiled eggs
The farmer's trees are full of fruit and the barns are full of hay
Oh I'm bound to go where there ain't no snow
Where the rain don't fall, the wind don't blow

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains you never change your socks
And the little streams of alcohol come a-trickling down the rocks
The brakemen have to tip their hats and the railroad bulls are blind
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey, too
You can paddle all around 'em in a big canoo

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains the jails are made of tin
And you can walk right out again as soon as you are in
There ain't no short-handled shovels, no axes, saws or picks
I'm a-goin' to stay where you sleep all day
Where they hung the jerk that invented work

I'll see you all this comin' fall in the Big Rock Candy Mountains

singdaw

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2008, 09:16:16 AM »

I recall rock candy from my youth, but it was clear--none of the jewel-like colors that Singdaw showed us.

That was in deference to DR JoseSPiano, who apparently is complemented best by jewel tones.   8)

Ginny

« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2008, 09:16:34 AM »

Oh, dear, DR Elmore, I'm so sorry - {{{{{HUGS}}}}}
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2008, 09:18:08 AM »

I had a string of really odd dreams this morning - in each I'd just gotten up out of bed and was doing stuff and convinced that that was real not a dream - then I'd wake up and be in bed, then dream I wasn't, then was, etc about six times.

And it's not even Groundhog Day yet!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2008, 09:19:38 AM »

A little history of the Evening Primrose LP:  There was never a soundtrack LP released (there were for two other ABC Stage 67 shows).  In the 80s, I believe, Sondheim had some LPs pressed for his friends from his tape of the show.  The quality was excellent, save for that one hiccup on When.  It included not only the songs and their reprises, but the background music he wrote.  I've had three copies over the years - one I sold after I put it on cassette because someone really wanted it and was willing to pay enough that I didn't care about selling.  Then I got another, put that on CD, and sold the LP on eBay for about $400 (that was the going rate then - maybe more now).  The current copy I have, the white jacket cover is signed by Sondheim with a little note about the history of the LP, and is the best of the three copies I've owned.  I may sell that now.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2008, 09:19:52 AM »

The different colors of rock candy can also, sometimes, denote different flavors.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2008, 09:24:11 AM »

DR elmore3003, my heart goes out to you.  NO ONE should have to endure this...

I couldn't agree more. Some years ago, because of my allergies, I purchased dust-mite-barrier pillow protectors and have been using them ever since. I didn't purchase the mattress protectors, but, having heard DR ELMORE'S woes, I think I should do. Whether one's concern is allergies or bedbugs, these protectors (mattress and pillow) do make sense. It's a one-time purchase, they're washable, and mine are probably ten years old and still going strong. We tend to not think about these sorts of things until we experience a problem, but more and more I think it's a good idea.

The get-rid-of-dustmites people also recommend vacuuming the mattress regularly, which is something I had never heard of before.
Even houses that we think of as clean can harbor mites or bugs.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2008, 09:26:52 AM »

That was in deference to DR JoseSPiano, who apparently is complemented best by jewel tones.   8)

Yes, Sing, I too was thinking of DR Jose as I typed it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2008, 09:29:15 AM »

Better-Sleep Vibes to BK!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2008, 09:32:31 AM »

Personally, I find both sapphires and diamonds very complementary.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »

Re: Heroes

I didn't really plan on losing track of the series during the second season.  I just got a late nite work assignment one night.  Der Brucer recorded the show so we could watch it together at some point, but he had a lot of other shows that he wanted to watch every time I had some free time, so instead he kept recording Heroes and kept watching what he wanted to watch, and then the season was over and we still haven't gotten around towatching Heroes.

This is the exact same thing that happened with Lost last year, and with Desperate Housewives before that.  Somehow, we never felixed up Ugly Betty... lordy knows, we had enough opportunities.

Come to think of it, there were a couple of eps of Torchwood that I missed, or only caught part of.   >:(
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »

Gotta go.

WBBL if I can.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2008, 09:33:25 AM »

I thought DR JMK was viewing Season 1?

And I thought he was talking about Season 3 of "Lost"....but I've gone back and stricken through my earlier post.

Scratch that.....
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:43:02 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2008, 09:36:23 AM »

Re: Heroes

I didn't really plan on losing track of the series during the second season.  I just got a late nite work assignment one night.  Der Brucer recorded the show so we could watch it together at some point, but he had a lot of other shows that he wanted to watch every time I had some free time, so instead he kept recording Heroes and kept watching what he wanted to watch, and then the season was over and we still haven't gotten around towatching Heroes.

This is the exact same thing that happened with Lost last year, and with Desperate Housewives before that.  Somehow, we never felixed up Ugly Betty... lordy knows, we had enough opportunities.

Come to think of it, there were a couple of eps of Torchwood that I missed, or only caught part of.   >:(

Can we have a big HainesHisWay bitch-slap go out to derBrucer for all these incidents?

;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2008, 09:38:34 AM »

I've never seen multi-colored rock candy, only the clear kind.  So, I take it it's available - I'll be they have it at the Farmer's Market at Magee's.

singdaw

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »

Can we have a big HainesHisWay bitch-slap go out to derBrucer for all these incidents?

Can I watch?

;)

singdaw

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2008, 09:43:18 AM »

That's why the opening number in The Music Man is called "Rock Island"...

Because all the salesmen are selling Rock Candy.

Not.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up