Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: VICK'S INHALER  (Read 91396 times)

Ben

Re:VICK'S INHALER
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 06:50:02 AM »

Let us move on to Page 2

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 06:54:24 AM »

Good morning!

Warm enough for late spring. Not the least bit cold this morning and another day in the 70s for highs (it got up to 74 yesterday). Colder the rest of the week is the forecast.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2008, 06:58:59 AM »

RE: the mystery of the missing magazine.

In early December, I went to get the Christmas list that I keep during the year of DVDs I want but haven't bought for myself to furnish to those friends who ask for a Christmas list. I keep the list on the left side of my desk all year long, and it's always in easy reach to add to each week that something comes out I'd like but don't love enough to get for myself.

Anyway, a day or two before I went to get it, I saw it on the desk right where it always is (under a paperweight, no less). The day I reached over to get it, it was not there. It was not on the desk anywhere; it was not on the floor; it was NOWHERE to be found.

Believe me, it gave me the CREEPS for it to just be gone. There was really no reason that it wasn't where it ALWAYS is. And I had to plunder the depths of my brain to come up with some titles I could remember were on the list, but I didn't remember them all.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2008, 07:00:23 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 07:01:10 AM »

TV Reminder:

New episodes tonight of CRIMINAL MINDS, CSI: NY, LAW & ORDER, RENO 911!, and PROJECT RUNWAY.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2008, 07:01:56 AM »

Good Morning, once again!

Greetings from the rehearsal hall/audition room.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2008, 07:02:58 AM »

Today I'll be watching BECOMING JANE on Blu-ray. There's an audio commentary and some special features too, so it looks like the disc will be pretty much my only focus for the day until LAW & ORDER tonight at 10.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 07:09:10 AM »

Yes, those pliées can be a drag when you're not properly warmed up...   ;)

Out of curiosity, DR JoseSPiano - do you find playing dance auditions to be easier or harder than singing auditions?  Or just different?

They're different.  Although, I sort of prefer them just from the standpoint that there's no pressure on me.  Well, less pressure on me.  As long as I keep a steady beat, that's really all that matters.  (Sort of.)  Additionally, I make a game out of all the repetition, especially if I'm playing a particularly "orchestral" score.  I'll try to play more or less notes on each pass.  I'll try to bring out the flute here, the horn line there, etc.  It keeps my mind active.  -When I played the "American in Paris" auditions a few weeks ago, I had a blast trying to make the piano sound like car-horns during the opening section.  Truly fun!

At the very least, it's always fun to watch.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 07:10:02 AM »

And here come the tappers! :)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Miss Karen

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 07:23:48 AM »

Mornin' Boys! (I mean, Gentlemen)

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 07:26:56 AM »

Just perusing the list of DVDs to be released next week:

In addition to the LUBITSCH MUSICALS which JMK and I have been discussing, there's volume four of the CHARLIE CHAN COLLECTION. These, of course, begin Sidney Toler's reign as Chan, and these four are among the best of the ones he eventually did. Looking forward to seeing them again. (Maybe there will be some Dr. Drew Casper insights contained in the box.)

Also, the second volume of JOAN CRAWFORD COLLECTION comes out. Along with some good films (A WOMAN'S FACE), the box contains two of her most outrageous melodramas: FLAMINGO ROAD and the infamous TORCH SONG. Can't wait!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 07:29:02 AM »

...And I'm back...

And I have yet to play a note.  (Besides my own practicing.)

The choreographer is "type-ing out" this morning, but he's actually "tapping out".  Instead of the usual process where they line people up, then say "stay" or "go" based on their looks, he has taught a short tap combination - basically two counts of 8.  Each person comes forward, gives their name and where they're from - a chance to see their personality - and then they do the tap combination.  By themself!  Can you say Pressure?!?!? -Which reminds me of those "piano scale exams" I used to take when I was in high school.

Shuffle hop back 2-3
Shuffle hop back 2-3
Fuh-lap, fuh-lap...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 07:29:39 AM »

DR MattH - Which musicals are included in that Lubitsch box?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 07:30:42 AM »

Top of the mornin' to ye, Milady.  (Meaning DR Miss Karen.)
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2008, 07:32:24 AM »

Good Morning and kisses to you all! Be careful out there in this weather!
I like boat races.

Miss Karen

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2008, 07:35:55 AM »

Hey DR der Brucer ~

After watching some of the primary stuff last night -- and all the info on the polling places, ordering extra paper ballots in case the machines broke down, etc., etc. I had a question for you:

Who pays for these primary delegate elections?

If the Demo Party pays all the bills for their primary delegate elections and the GOP pays all the bills for their primary delegate elections, then I concede that your point should win -- it's their gala event, so they should decide who gets to attend.

BUT, if the government (courtesy of tax payer dollars) is picking up the tab for all of this, then I think it is wrong (probably illegal) to exclude some of those taxpayers (i.e. Independents) from the process.

Miss Karen

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2008, 07:37:08 AM »

Top of the mornin' to ye, Milady.  (Meaning DR Miss Karen.)

DR Enabler ~ I *heart* you!

:-*

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2008, 07:37:30 AM »

Considering my penchant for missing posts lately, someone has probably already posted this, but here's a great Sweeney parody that was linked from Castrecl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk4i7OKWSJw

I have a nice Vick's Inhaler story--I needed one a few years ago and went to Rite-Aid which told me they weren't making them anymore.  I found an old one I had which had an 800 number on it (for those inhalation emergencies, I guess).  I called them, asked if they had been discontinued, and they said no, asked for my name and address, etc.  They sent me not only a sheaf of coupons for money off, they also sent me about 10 inhalers!  I love me my Vick's Inhalers.

My mother used to slather me with regular Vick's when I had bronchial infections as a child, which was pretty often.  I still remember the hideous feeling of my pajama tops stuck to my chest.   :P
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Kerry

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2008, 07:37:58 AM »

Apparently I won the lottery yet again n South Africa,  Yeah, right!
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2008, 07:41:03 AM »

DR JRand - What was the name of the Indiana boy you've mentioned a few times who is now here in The Big Apple?  -Or at least his initials.  We've already had a few Indianapolis boys - well, young men - already in this morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

Miss Karen

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2008, 07:41:22 AM »

DR Mikey ~ What breed (make that plural since he's a pound puppy) is Bosco? And what was his background story (i.e. Why would someone give up such a sweet boy?).  I'm still smiling from that picture you posted yesterday....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2008, 07:43:48 AM »

Apparently I won the lottery yet again n South Africa,  Yeah, right!

Oh, Cool!  Well, it looks like I may have to go to South Africa to claim my winnings too!  Maybe we could split the cost of the hotel!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2008, 07:54:44 AM »

MBarnum, IMHO The Smiling Lieutenant is the best of the bunch of the Lubitsch musicals--absolutely hysterical with the typical Lubitsch wit.  The others all have things to recommend them but don't quite rise to the level of that one.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Miss Karen

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2008, 08:01:20 AM »

How rude! I was in the middle of a post, and lost the HHW connection -- and then it took forever to get back on the net (my computer has been running very slow this am and not letting me on, etc/). So I can take a hint -- the computer gods don't want me to play this morning (and I really don't have time for their games), so I guess I need to put an end to my gratuitous posting...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2008, 08:02:20 AM »

How rude! I was in the middle of a post, and lost the HHW connection -- and then it took forever to get back on the net (my computer has been running very slow this am and not letting me on, etc/). So I can take a hint -- the computer gods don't want me to play this morning (and I really don't have time for their games), so I guess I need to put an end to my gratuitous posting...

DR Ron Pulliam - I guess our plan is finally working.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2008, 08:04:40 AM »

DR MattH - Which musicals are included in that Lubitsch box?

THE LOVE PARADE, THE SMILING LIEUTENANT, MONTE CARLO, AN HOUR WITH YOU.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2008, 08:06:52 AM »

MBarnum, IMHO The Smiling Lieutenant is the best of the bunch of the Lubitsch musicals--absolutely hysterical with the typical Lubitsch wit.  The others all have things to recommend them but don't quite rise to the level of that one.

I am still clinging to hope that I get these to review. The Criterions are all sent through an intermediary, and I haven't heard from him all week, so I'm thinking he's on vacation.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »

Well, I'm going to head down now to clean the den, check the mail, and then start on preparing lunch. One of my sides will be RICE!

WBBL.

JMK

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2008, 08:11:17 AM »

I am still clinging to hope that I get these to review. The Criterions are all sent through an intermediary, and I haven't heard from him all week, so I'm thinking he's on vacation.

This may be sacrilege, but I just don't "get" Jeanette MacDonald.  Sorry.  The Love Parade was her first film and she's OK in it, not great.  She improves greatly in the other two she's in in these films.  I go into (probably too much) detail in my review about what each has to offer, but aside from Lieutenant I wouldn't put them at the top of Lubitsch's output.  That said, they're invaluable historical documents of the development of the film musical.  Just my 2 cents.

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2008, 08:11:18 AM »

DR Mikey ~ What breed (make that plural since he's a pound puppy) is Bosco? And what was his background story (i.e. Why would someone give up such a sweet boy?).  I'm still smiling from that picture you posted yesterday....

Oh, he is sweet boy! He is a German Shephard mix, maybe collie. He is just so mild mannered and well behaved and gentle. The kids in my family all just adore him and the adults always wonder why my dog behaves so much better then their dog.

He was running loose in Clackamas county and someone there found him and took him in while trying to search for his owners. After two weeks and no luck finding who he belonged to they had to bring him to the Humane Society as they could not keep a dog where they lived. My guess is that he was abandonded...maybe his owner died and the family didn't want to deal with a dog and figured if they dropped him off in some neighborhood he would find a home. That is the only thing I can figure, because surely if he was just lost someone would have claimed him.

2 years, on my way home from the gym, I stopped off at the Humane Society, as I often do just to look around, and I spotted Bosco amongst the other rag tag and rowdy dogs. He was the only one not barking and jumping around. I then went to look at the bunnies and cats and couldn't get this dog off my mind...so I asked to visit with him and then I put a $10 hold on him and gave it a good thought over night and then decided to get him the next day.

When I originally went in to the pound that day I had no intention of getting a dog, or any animal for that matter...but, well, I am sure glad I changed my mind! In all of my life I have never made a better purchase.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up