Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: DRY HEAVE  (Read 69374 times)

FJL

Re:DRY HEAVE
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 05:47:34 AM »

Page 2 before 9 a.m.!!!!

FJL

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 05:51:23 AM »

singdaw - You watch, once everyone joins the rant, they're gonna raise the rant.

I call for rant stabilization.

singdaw

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008, 06:10:46 AM »

EVIL LANDLORD:  YOU MUST RANT!
PRETTY INGENUE: But I can't rant!
EVIL LANDLORD:  YOU MUST RANT!
PRETTY INGENUE: But I can't rant!

[ENTER Young HERO, in a dashing cape:]

YOUNG HERO:  I'll rant!
PRETTY INGENUE:  My hero!   :-*

[curtain]

singdaw

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2008, 06:11:25 AM »

singdaw

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 06:14:59 AM »

When the IRS starts requiring electronic tax filing, DR Ginny's low lifes are going to start showing up on DR FJL's doorstep!    :P

Ben

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 06:21:39 AM »

Sing, we like the new PC very much. The only little glitch is because we didn't get Vista as the operating system we didn't get DVD burning software with the computer. Even though I got a DVD burner as part of the system and it came with software, the program is a stripped down version of Roxio and only burns CDs, not DVDs! We have a clunky program that came with our camcorder called Nero Express which we will use until we decide which full featured program to buy. The monitor is great. It's a 17 inch flat screen with two USB ports on the monitor. The color and resolution is top notch. It's got everything I want and need (except for the DVD burning software) and we are very happy with the purchase. Now we just need to get the old system out to Long Island.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 06:22:50 AM »

Dr Ben, I empathize re taxes. Mich recently added a 2nd page to its EZ form, and I'm always a nervous wreck filling it out, and of course I had to pay an extra 3$ in use tax(sales tax) for cd I ordered from  Footlight Records....Car CD has lotsa Mozart(I'm working my way thru one of those bargain complete works of(135$  for for all of Mozart)...This weekend i'll be celebrating Mardi Gras(delayed due to work,) by listening to obscurata- Lps of Let it Ride, Cry for us All, Chrysanthemum, Make Me an offer, Marco Polo. etc etc and so forth.Hopefully I'll get all my housework done while this is occuring.Then  time to read a new bio of Irene Kamirovski.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 06:32:29 AM »

The laundry is over, and I'm outa here for a while.

Ta!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 06:36:13 AM »

....Car CD has lotsa Mozart(I'm working my way thru one of those bargain complete works of(135$  for for all of Mozart)...

Those disclaimers on the ginormous box sets always crack me up.  

During shipping, discs in boxed sets occasionally become dislodged without damage. Please examine and play these discs. If you are not completely satisfied, we'll refund or replace your purchase.  

Yeah, OK.  I mean, I appreciate their offer.  I guess I'll just put my entire life on hold and listen to each of the 185 discs right now...and I'll get back to you in a day or two if there are any problems!   ::)

td

• td
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2008, 06:37:57 AM »

GOOD MORNING!

As per the topic of the day, after finishing the novel WATER FOR ELEPHANTS, I felt compelled to watch a movie which I had never seen in its entirety:

THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH - which is certainly not as bad as I have been led to believe; it definitely is NOT the worst film to take home the Best Picture Oscar (AMERICAN BEAUTY and CRASH come to mind), but it is quite the entertainment from that director of spectacles, Cecil B. DeMille.  It is overlong, to be sure, and what plot there is could have taken a brisk ninety minutes to tell, but that cast!  Dorothy Lamour, Gloria Grahame, Cornel Wilde, James Stewart, Charleton Heston and the top-billed Betty Hutton.  It's interesting to note that those are not usually stunt doubles doing the high wire antics that Hutton and Wilde do.  Paramount's dvd has no extras whatsoever, though the transfer is sparkling and clean!

Also this week, I watched

WATER, which I spoke of yesterday.  Set against the rise of Gandhi, the story takes place in an ashram for widows and is seen through the eyes of an eight-year old widow.

SHIKHAR - another ashram, another time, as a corrupt builder uses every means necessary to steal land and build a modern city.  His greed goes so far as to try to swindle the land away from Shahid Kapur and his family by making him a business partner and introducing him to the world of high-stakes gambling, carousing, wine, women and song.

DIL MAANGE MORE - Shahid Kapur finds that he is irresistable to three very different women; chaos ensues.

CD-wise, I've been listening to nothing but Judy Kaye since Sunday night.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

singdaw

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2008, 06:40:41 AM »

DR td - what bothers you about American Beauty?  The writing?  The direction?  The acting?  ???

Curious if you liked Six Feet Under.

singdaw

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2008, 06:42:32 AM »

Since we occasionally discuss politics here, thought it might be worth mentioning this handy-dandy one-stop resource for checking up on candidates, votes, positions, issues, and ballot measures, plus information on voter registration.  It appears to be non-partisan, from what I can tell...

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2008, 06:56:03 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2008, 07:02:01 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  No, I was not almost an hour late for work; my workday started right on time at the bank and post office performing treasurer duties for a professional organization (just in case any of my busy-body co-workers were wondering...).

When the IRS starts requiring electronic tax filing, DR Ginny's low lifes are going to start showing up on DR FJL's doorstep!    :P

We're always amazed at those who want to use our public computers for tasks that require some confidentiality.  And those who look on the tax forms table and ask why we don't have their W-2.  How do some of these people get through the day?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2008, 07:05:28 AM »

TOD - CD(car) - Forbidden Broadway:  20th Anniversary Edition.  I love the parodies of The Lion King and Les Miz, Jason Graae's "I Enjoy Being a Cat," and the Oklahoma number, "Old Revivals."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2008, 07:06:52 AM »

Good morning!

We should have another day in the 60s today. Another morning with a cloudless blue sky and moderately cool temps. Close to paradise for February.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2008, 07:12:30 AM »

I saw VICTOR/VICTORIA on stage, and it definitely was not up to the quality of the film version.

One thing about the stage version I liked a lot: King declares his love for Victor BEFORE he knows for sure that Victor is a woman. Makes all the difference in the world in the respect I have for the character with that one little change.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - KISS ME KATE (OBC)

DVD - GONE BABY GONE (Blu-ray)
          FAMILY TIES, Season 3
          GIRLFRIENDS, Season 3

DVR - last night's SUPERNATURAL
         THE GREAT CARUSO

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2008, 07:15:59 AM »

TV Reminders:

NBC's slate of shows is all new tonight: 1 VS. 100, FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, LAS VEGAS

PSYCH is new tonight. MONK is preempted by a movie.

20/20 has a new episode tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2008, 07:17:55 AM »

DR JRand mentioned it yesterday, but I also have gotten my shipping notice for the Lana Turner melodrama duo set but nothing yet about the TAMMY set.

Who knew there would be a demand on THAT?

td

• td
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »

DR td - what bothers you about American Beauty?  The writing?  The direction?  The acting?  ???

Curious if you liked Six Feet Under.

I can't think of a single thing I liked about AMERICAN BEAUTY, except the cinematography; whereas I can't think of a single thing I didn't like about SIX FEET UNDER.
As far as AMERICAN BEAUTY is concerned, I just found it to be a pretentious bore, trying to be the great American "angry young man" movie, populated with people too full of themselves and too full of bullsh** to be believable.  As much as I dislike Nicole Kidman, her Satine in MOULIN ROUGE! was a thousand times more convincing than anyone in AMERICAN BEAUTY - - and I'm the one who laughs uproariously every time Nic's Satine states that she "wants to be an actress."

td

• td
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2008, 07:29:03 AM »

On my 40th birthday, I saw VICTOR/VICTORIA on stage at the Marriott Marquis.  At least I got to see Julie Andrews on stage once in my life.
I was hoping it would be a better show than it was, but I remember reading about all the out-of-town troubles in the theater magazines at the time and knew that it was a risky show.  I have a copy of that cut song about all the other gay men out there, and it's as bad as its reputation purports it to be.
On the other hand, there were things I did appreciate in the production:  King's confession prior to full knowledge (as mentioned by Matt), the set design, Greg Jbarra, "Paris by Night" and Julie herself.
I truly missed the slapstick, though. I thought that the cockroach scene, the "Shady Dame from Seville" and the Clouseau-like inspector kept the film on an even keel; I thought that there could have been many more laughs onstage.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2008, 07:40:18 AM »

Laundry to do this afternoon.

Unfortunately, that's not the same as Magic to Do

I find I frequently need to launder my top hat after pulling a rabbit out of it.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2008, 07:47:39 AM »

Is anyone else as "jazzed" as I am by today's Gold Box over at Amazon.com?

I could just dance a jig, I'm so excited by it!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2008, 07:49:08 AM »

It's Friday before a four-day-weekend- two-day-work-week-four-day-weekend run for me.

That's right....two four-day weekends interrupted by two workdays.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2008, 07:52:17 AM »

The only thing I watched on television last night was "Survivor"...and...

SPOILER

...what a kick it was to see my least favorite player of ALL TIME cop out and ask folks to send him home.  I was very glad of it.  Next week, let the REAL game begin.  CBS had been milking the return of Jonny Fairplay in promotions...and I hope they got the audience they wanted 'cause Jonny's now toast.

And....the return of "Big Brother" and "Jericho" will make Tuesday evening a real pleasure next week.

singdaw

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2008, 07:52:29 AM »

Is anyone else as "jazzed" as I am by today's Gold Box over at Amazon.com?

I could just dance a jig, I'm so excited by it!

I'm gonna buy three!    :D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2008, 07:52:57 AM »

All my other Thursday night must-sees are in my DVR cache awaiting my leisure over the first of my two 4-day weekends!

;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2008, 07:53:29 AM »

I'm gonna buy three!    :D

With six you'll get egg roll!

singdaw

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2008, 07:54:44 AM »

The only thing I watched on television last night was "Survivor"...

I thought you were SO looking forward to "Lost"?   ???

Since I had to sing Wednesday night, our normal Thursday choir rehearsal was cancelled last night, so for once I had the opportunity to watch "Lost" live...and instead, I opted to DVR it, and watch it tonight without commercial interruption.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up