Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EMPTY HEAD  (Read 25448 times)

Ben

Re:THE EMPTY HEAD
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2004, 08:48:59 AM »

Besides me (and others mentioned today) here is a list of "famous" people born on Groundhog Day. I feel so old because I don't know who half of them are!!!

Singer Shakira is 27, Actress Lori Beth Denberg is 28, Rapper T-Mo is 32, Rock musician Ben Mize (Counting Crows) is 33, Rock musician Robert DeLeo (Stone Temple Pilots) is 38, Actress Kim Zimmer is 49 (whew, I know who she is), Actor Michael Talbott is 49 (him, too), Model Christie Brinkley is 50 (and her), Rock musician Ross Valory (Journey) is 55 (nope), Actor Brent Spiner is 55 (yep), Actress Farrah Fawcett is 57, Country singer Howard Bellamy (The Bellamy Brothers) is 58 (not really), Television executive Barry Diller is 62 (from here to the end I actually know who they are), Actor Bo Hopkins is 62, Rock singer-guitarist Graham Nash is 62, Comedian/Folk Singer Tom Smothers is 67, Actor Robert Mandan is 72, and Actress Elaine Stritch is 79.   
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 08:51:06 AM by Ben »

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2004, 08:49:06 AM »

Happy Birthday Ben,

Love Jen :)

Ben

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2004, 08:49:29 AM »

And that brings us to page 2

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2004, 08:50:41 AM »

I have not had the chance to watch any of these yet. But here are last night's Superbowl ads on the net:

http://www.ifilm.com/?sctn=collections&pg=superbowl2004

Can anybody list some of the good ones that I should look at.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2004, 08:51:50 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday DR Ben!![/move]

Hmmmmmmmmm......I think that Glenn Miller's version of "In the Mood" is one of my favorites, along with "String of Pearls" - both mentioned by other DR's.

And just to add some new music to the mix, I will mention "The Hut Sut Song" and "Mississippi Mud" and "Paper Doll."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2004, 08:56:42 AM »

Didn't anybody watch Survivor last night? :(

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2004, 09:04:40 AM »

First things first: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR BEN!!! :)

Favorite WWII era songs:

Sing, Sing, Sing
Moonglow
String of Pearls
In the Mood
Sentimental Journey
Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive
Take the "A" Train
Moonlight Serenade
The Donkey Serenade

I'm sure I'll think of lots more later... ;)
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2004, 09:06:27 AM »

Excellent lists thus far and thus far excellent lists.  Good morning.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2004, 09:07:55 AM »

Ben: I know who Kim Zimmer is, too!  Who could ever forget Reva Shayne?

Has she remarried Josh Lewis recently?  Or any of the other male Lewis family members...brothers, dads, uncles, cousins?  I haven't watched GL in probably 15 years.

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Emily

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2004, 09:10:33 AM »

Wiarton Willie sees a long winter
Martin O'Malley & Ruby Buiza, CBC News Online | February 2, 2004

Wiarton Willie  

On Monday, February 2, a white groundhog was rudely awakened in Wiarton, Ontario and at eight o'clock he looked around, saw his shadow, which according to Groundhog lore, means there will be six more weeks of winter.

In Nova Scotia, however, a groundhog named Shubenacadie Sam didn't see his shadow, which means for Nova Scotians, spring is just around the corner. For those who want to follow this through, Pennsylvania's Punxsutawney Phil also saw his shadow, which means six more weeks of winter.

Wiarton Willie didn't take long to make his forecast. "He did a quick turn there, and I think it's because he did see his shadow and we have six more weeks of winter," said Carl Noble, mayor of South Bruce Peninsula.

It's always been a pack of lies, of course, but it's fun, and we need fun if we are to survive another Canadian February.

Groundhog Day was inspired by an old Scottish couplet:
"If Candlemas Day is bright and clear/ There'll be two winters in the year."

How groundhogs got a reputation for predicting weather patterns is a mystery, because they are not the least bit interested in their shadows or the number of winter weeks remaining. The only reason they come out of hibernation is for food and sex.

The original Wiarton Willie, an albino groundhog said to be 22 years old, died during hibernation during the winter of 1998-99. The good burghers of Wiarton discovered this to their horror just before Groundhog Day 1999.

Willie's death made headlines around the world.

On Groundhog Day, they put Wiarton Willie face-up in a small pine casket, bright pennies over his eyes, paws clutching a raw carrot. But it was a fake! Turns out the real Wiarton Willie was so disgustingly decomposed he couldn't be put on display, so they found a stuffed facsimile and laid it in the casket.

"We didn't try to hide the fact that he was stuffed," said Tom Ashman of Wiarton Willie's publicity team. "If the media had been doing their job they would have seen the stitches on the belly."

But, why fake it?

"People needed closure," Ashman explained.

Groundhogs are woodchucks, members of the squirrel family, marmots, sometimes called "pig-whistles." They are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. When nervous, they emit a high-pitched squeal, which might as well be an embossed dinner invitation to predators who follow the squeal until they find and eat the groundhog.

So how did they gain a reputation for predicting weather? Fact is, they aren't very good at it. The people of Wiarton insist their Willie was accurate 90 per cent of the time, but what do you expect them to say when the Groundhog Festival attracts 20,000 free-spending tourists to the town every February? Scientific studies show groundhogs are accurate only 37 per cent of the time, which means you'd do better flipping one of the pennies that covered ol' Wiarton Willie's eyes.

Loyalists insist that Wiarton Willie possessed an uncanny ability to predict because he was born exactly on the 45th parallel, midway between the Equator and the North Pole. Wiarton is a pretty town of 2,300 on the Bruce Peninsula between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay.

The legend of Willie Wiarton began in 1956, with many groundhogs taking their star turn as Willie.

Other jurisdictions have their favourite winter-predicting groundhogs, the second most famous - after Wiarton Willie - being Punxsutawney Phil of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. There is a Brandon Bob in Manitoba, a Staten Island Chuck in New York, a Balzac Billy in Alberta, and a Gary the Groundhog in Kleinburg, Ontario.

Wiarton Willie's successor is Wee Willie, another albino groundhog. Actually there are two Wee Willies - Wee Willie and Wee Willie-2 - just to be safe. An Ottawa man captured them after Wiarton Willie died. He sent them to Wiarton for the big show.

And a big show it is, with hockey tournaments, curling bonspiels, dances, parades, pancake breakfasts, a Monte Carlo Night, a dart tournament, snooker tournament, horse-drawn sleigh rides, a mammoth fish fry and a circus.

Enough to make a groundhog squeal. Oops.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2004, 09:14:14 AM »

Lulu, I also know who Kim Zimmer is. And yes she is actually married to a Lewis right now (Josh)!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2004, 09:18:55 AM »

Happy Birthday, Ben!

And congrats, bk, on getting a great start on the Kritzer Time CD!

I love WWII songs. Most of my faves have been named, except Vera Lynn's "We'll Meet Again" -- which has been somewhat spoiled by DR STRANGELOVE. But it still moves me each time I hear it.

Wonderful photo, NR Charlie Toft. And good story about "I'll Never Smile Again," Dan-in-TO.

Panni

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2004, 09:22:33 AM »

PennyO - did you find an accompanist??

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2004, 09:35:33 AM »

Nice photos DRMichaelShayne!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2004, 09:39:52 AM »

Has anyone mentioned the Andrews Sisters "I Love You Much Too Much"?... Give me a smoky nightclub, Claude Rains in the shadows, a rose in my teeth - okay forget the rose - and that song.
I've put on the CD player "The Chesterfield Broadcasts, VOL. 1 - The Andrews Sisters with the Glenn Miller Orchestra." Great stuff. I'll listen while I have breakfast, then back to ze writing.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2004, 09:43:04 AM »

Happy Birthday, Dear Reader Ben!

Welcome, Dear Reader Charlie Toft!  Do tell us a little about yourself, please.  And explain the picture that appears below your name.  I'm betting there's an interesting story behind it!

Welcome back, Dear Reader Lulu!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 09:50:52 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2004, 09:55:46 AM »

Welcome, new DR Charlie Toft!

Welcome back, DR Lulu!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR BEN!
**When it comes to birthday greetings (and a few other things) size does matter.**
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William E. Lurie

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2004, 10:11:07 AM »

With the addition of the three titles above, April has enough DVDs coming out to break all DRs.  Also in April are 5 Judy Garland films, 2 Sondheims (Angela/George in SWEENY TODD and "The Last of Shelia") and one or two others.

I just read that the producers of BOY FROM OZ are considering Ricky Martin to take over after Hugh Jackman's contract is up.  No comment from me is needed.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ben

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2004, 10:19:23 AM »

Never Gonna Dance is gonna close. Playbill On-Line reports that the final performance will be February 15th.

Also, the luminous Miss Barbara Cook will be doing another limited run one-woman show at Lincoln Center called Barbara Cook Broadway. It will play 12 performances over a month starting February 18th. Details at Playbill On-Line http://www.playbill.com/

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2004, 10:33:33 AM »

Fav Big Band stuff:

My Reverie by Larry CLinton's orchestra

Ballerina by either Buddy Clark or Vaughn Monroe

Wind & the Rain in Your Hair

Make Believe Ballroom

Nightmare by Artie Shaw

These Foolish Things

I'm Glad There Is You

Love For Sale by Skinny Ennis

Oh, Look at Me Now & Everything Happens To Me by Frank Sinatra with Dorsey

Skylark, the Herb Jeffries version

Bob-White

The Lamp Is Low

When Did You Leave Heaven By Carmen Lombardo

Indian Summer

Symphony

We Three (My Echo, My Shadow, & Me)

I Dream of You (More Than You Dream I Do)

Just a few off the top of my head...

Janet Jackson flap...Has this country really become that Puritanical and repressive that it gets its knickers in a twist over such a thing?  From the photos, it seems like a very pretty breast too.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 10:40:47 AM by Charles Pogue »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2004, 10:44:12 AM »

Good Afternoon!

-Well, I didn't get up as early as I had planned last night, but I have already had a pretty productive day - and I've only been up for about 2 1/2 hours!  I got some paperwork together to mail off; walked to my mechanic to explain my "possessed" car; walked to the post office to mail the paperwork; walked to the bank to take care of some business; walked through the grocery store just to scout out this week's specials; walked to McD's to get a Cobb Salad for lunch; walked to the local coffee roaster/shop (LOVE the smell in that place!) for a nice cup of coffee; then walked back home... Had lunch, checking the e-mail, and now HHW...  I may even venture out later to get my hair cut -I'm about a week overdue right now.

As for WWII songs - I've always loved "Swing, Swing, Swing" too!  I remember hearing it for the first time on a Boston Pops broadcast with Buddy Rich if I recall correctly - the drum solo was incredible.  Then I just kept hearing it in various other places - TV shows, radio shows, commercials, and even our high school drill team used it for one of their routines.  I always lamented that it never sounded the same on the piano.

Other songs - "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry", "Saturday Night Is The Loneliest Night of the Week", "I'll Never Smile Again" (thanks for the history lesson on this one!), "I Don't Want to Walk Without You, Baby"... Hmm.. Maybe I'll put on Judy Kuhn's Jule Styne album today...

And I remember analyzing the horn/saxophone voicings in Glenn Miller's "Moonlight Serenade" for a project I was working on.  And it's amazing how if just one of the tones is altered or revoiced, it totally affects the sound of the piece - well, at least moreso than I thought it would.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2004, 10:49:27 AM »

DR DERBRUCER - Thanks for the pic of the "mishap" - or, as Mr. Timberlake calls it, a "wardrobe malfunction".  WOW!  I wonder how long it took for him and his team of publicists and lawyers to come up with that turn of phrase?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2004, 10:54:11 AM »

H A P P Y
BIRTHDAY,
Ben!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 10:55:21 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2004, 10:54:28 AM »

Superbowl half time, Justin exposing Janet's breast was a "wardrobe malfunction" :):
http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/feb2_superbowl-ap.html

William E. Lurie

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2004, 11:12:22 AM »

A "wardrobe malfunction" or a ploy to get Janet's picture in the media?  Methinks she is upset that her brother (in the fraternal sense since he is now Caucasian) is getting more publicity than she is.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2004, 11:12:38 AM »

RE:  Justin and Janet (sounds like a tabloid headline)

The newsradio station, I was listening to this morning, was reading last week's press release (apparently from AOL and MTV) concerning the Super Bowl Halftime Show.  After naming the performers who would be taking part, the release ends by saying,  "to watch for the special surprise at the end of the show.  

Hmmm.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2004, 11:22:37 AM »

[size=20]neB ,yadhtriB yppaH[/size]

Just mirroring what everyone else is saying.   ::)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 11:35:39 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2004, 11:29:46 AM »

What passes for "entertainment" so often is not my definition of entertainment, but to each his own.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2004, 11:30:08 AM »

Has this country really become that Puritanical and repressive that it gets its knickers in a twist over such a thing?  

In a word, yes.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2004, 11:30:58 AM »

How groundhogs got a reputation for predicting weather patterns is a mystery, because they are not the least bit interested in their shadows or the number of winter weeks remaining. The only reason they come out of hibernation is for food and sex.
Hmmmm...been there, done that!  I can empathize, completely.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up