Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EMPTY HEAD  (Read 25346 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE EMPTY HEAD
« on: February 02, 2004, 12:05:35 AM »

Well, you've scoured the notes, you've pored over the notes, you've read the notes from top to bottom, so you know what to do and I say when one knows what to do one should do it and do it repeatedly.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 11:59:42 PM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:THE EMPTY HEAD
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 02:25:54 AM »

Have a wonderful birthday DR Ben.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 02:34:07 AM »

Swing: Everything as played by the genius of the Saxophone - Mr Freddy Gardner: - eg. I'm In The Mood For Love, I Only Have Eyes For You, These Foolish Things, Stardust and Japanese Sandman.

Plus: Artie Shaw's "Begin The Beguine", Glenn Miller's "Moonlight Serenade", Harry James with Helen Forest "I've Heard That Song Before" and  of course all those wonderful Benny Goodman tunes with Peggy Lee vocals.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 02:35:00 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 03:21:45 AM »

I don't have one for WWII, but I do have one for WWIII: "So Long, Mom"
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 05:05:32 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR BEN!!!!!!!!

And Happpy Birthday to Elaine Stritch, too!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 05:10:17 AM »

I love many of the same songs as Tomovoz.  I also love "Let's Dance," "Skyliner," "Cherokee."  There are so many from that period that I like.  So many great vocalists, too.

Cake for Ben-- but I want to know what kind.

DRLaura, we'll be having Oreo cake soon.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 07:09:30 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 05:12:55 AM »

Artie Shaw's (and just about everybody else's) version of "Moonglow" is tops with me.   Benny Goodman's version of "Don't Be That Way" is pretty swell too.
I like boat races.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 05:38:11 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR BEN!

(What's the cake du jour?)

Ben

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 05:52:52 AM »

I'm listening to Donald's Minskoff show right now as I begin my birthday celebration. Thanks for the good wishes. Besides Miss Stritch and me, it's also the birthdate of Burton Lane, Liz Smith and Farrah Fawcett.

We will have cake this evening. Don't know what but something with chocolate in it. I'll let you know later.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 06:00:11 AM »

I think one of my favorite tunes is Benny Goodman's Swing, Swing, Swing. I also love Moonlight Seranade (what a romantic number). There are a couple of shows on BBC (oh, no, not again) that focus on Big Band and Swing Music. One is on BBC Radio Wales and it's called String of Pearls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/radiowales/shows/stringofpearls.shtml

Another is Stacy Kent's show on BBC Radio 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/bigband/

Malcolm Laycock also has an excellent show on BBC Radio 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/laycock/

Off to work. No, I'm not taking the day off, too busy for that, but I will work s  l  o  w  l  y and I will check in often on this special natal day.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 06:01:54 AM »

Moonglow, I love Moonglow!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 06:06:30 AM »

I like just about anything sung by The Andrews Sisters.  Regarding "Swing, Swing, Swing", is it a law that every compilation musical (from FOSSEE to SWING and everything else in between) has to use it for a big production number?  It is a great song, but enough is enough.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

CharlieToft

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 06:08:52 AM »

Fun "At Last" fact: It was originally used in SUN VALLEY SERENADE and was cut out of the film because it was decided that the film had TOO MANY potential hit songs (notably "Chattanooga Choo-Choo"), so it was put into ORCHESTRA WIVES the following year. Both times it was 'sung' by the delicious Lynn Bari (dubbed by Pat Friday). You can still hear a bit of 'At Last' in the medley in the finale skating number of SUN VALLEY.

There are literally dozens od Swing songs I adore, but I need more coffee first to jog them all into order...
If I tell you what I want and then you do it, it doesn't count because I had to tell you.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2004, 06:34:59 AM »

Interesting background on one of my favorites from the era, "I'll Never Smile Again":

"The song was written by a young Canadian songwriter, Ruth Lowe. The lyrics came from her heart - she had been married only a year when her husband died suddenly during a routine operation. Devastated, Ruth moved back to her home in Toronto. After telling her sister that she'd never smile again without him, she sat down one night to write a song that expressed her sorrow.

The result was a song that not only launched Frank Sinatra's career, but helped a nation get through the grief and loss of WWII.

Now, the fact that I'll Never Smile Again was written by a Canadian woman is not exactly obscure music trivia. However, few people know that a year before Dorsey and Sinatra got their hands on it, I'll Never Smile Again was heard by thousands of Canadians tuned into CBC Radio.

As far as Lost & Found Sound can tell, there's only one copy of this 1939 broadcast, and it belongs to Ruth Lowe's son, Tom Sandler. He came across the 78 RPM disc in a box of his mother's memorabilia after she died in 1981. This version was arranged by Percy Faith for his CBC program Music by Faith."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2004, 06:35:42 AM »

DR Charlie Toft -

Welcome to HHW

CharlieToft

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2004, 06:42:35 AM »

"Martha" by Connee Boswell, "Hold Tight" by the Andrews Sisters, "The Jumpin Jive" by just about Anybody, "Swingin' on the Reservation" by Ella Fitzgerald", That's How Rhythm was Born" by the Boswell Sisters, "Cow-Cow-Boogie" by Ella Mae Morse, "Shoo-Fly Pie & Apple Pan Dowdy" by June Christy, "There Will Never Be Another You" by Just about anybody..."Artie Shaw's "Begin the Beguine"..

For a start! :-)
If I tell you what I want and then you do it, it doesn't count because I had to tell you.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2004, 06:43:12 AM »

For Jose, who yesterday bemoaned:

RE: The Super Bowl - I missed the half-time show - and, thus missed the mishap between Justin Timberlake and Miss Janet Jackson.

der Brucer (who thinks the tastlesness of the above moment was superceded by the fart-blowing Bud Light horse)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2004, 06:45:38 AM »

Favorite WWII songs:

God Bless America - Kate Smith
Now is the Hour - Gracie Fields

der Brucer (remembering listening to both on radio, huddled in bed when the black-out cutains were drawn)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2004, 06:57:19 AM »

Wasn't able to finish listening to the Radio Show. It stopped after the clip from Scarlet Pimpernel (clip number 33 I believe) and nothing else loads. I'll go back later and try again. It was lots of fun up to that point.

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2004, 07:11:48 AM »

Wow, so many WW2 songs to choose from. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE 1940s (and 1930s, 1950s) big band music. Tomovoz already listed some of my favorites and I will add IN THE MOOD, 12th St RAG, and SNOWFALL to the list. I know there are many more that are favorites but I can't even think of them just now.

and.........HAPPY B'DAY DR BEN!!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2004, 07:14:34 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR Ben!!!!!!!!!

DR Charlie beat me to it - Glenn Miller is far and away my favorite big band leader and his orchestra's rendition of "Chattanooga Choo-Choo" is my all-time favorite song from the war years. One of the first CDs I bought when I made the switchover from LP to CD was a Glenn Miller CD that had 40 of his hits in their original recordings. May have been mono sound, but I played that thing into the ground.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2004, 07:18:26 AM »

I forgot to welcome new DR Charlie! Welcome!!!  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2004, 07:31:09 AM »

I have to agree about the Andrews Sisters stuff during the war years, too. I loved their bounce and their fun vocals. I also thought that OVER HERE! the Broadway musical built around Patti and Maxene, was deserving of the Best Musical Tony the year it was nominated. (RAISIN won that year. SEESAW was the other nominee. I liked it a lot, but it seemed such a huge show for such a tiny little story. I felt the same way about MISS SAIGON except SEESAW has a better score.)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2004, 07:33:55 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Ben!!

Welcome, new DR Charlie!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

CharlieToft

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2004, 07:35:51 AM »

Thank you thank you thank you!

Love ALL the Big Bandleaders, with the exception of Harry James. Always found his trumpet shrill and annoying. Even in "I Had The Craziest Dream", another Favorite WWII song.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2004, 07:36:11 AM »

BTW, I read this morning that STAR! comes out on DVD April 20th along with ROXIE HART and CALL ME MADAM!!!!

;D

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2004, 07:37:12 AM »

Good morning, new reader bfried. I hope you will join us in posting.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

CharlieToft

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2004, 07:43:50 AM »

WOW!!! That IS great news, Matt!!! Thanks for the day-brightener!

Oh I HOPE HOPE HOPE they come out with new CDs of the soundtracks to STAR & CALL ME MADAM!!!!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2004, 07:49:42 AM »

BK,

I had to reread a sentence from the notes. I thought you wrote that you'd be watching Lost in Tarnation.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 07:53:08 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2004, 08:06:35 AM »

Those DVDs are list priced at $14.95, just like HELLO DOLLY. The STAR disc will have a Robert Wise running commentary (not sure if it's new or the one pieced together on the laserdisc) and that 1968 publicity feature on the making of the film.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up