Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EMPTY HEAD  (Read 25447 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:THE EMPTY HEAD
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2004, 11:32:30 AM »

More about Ruth (I'll Never Smile Again) Lowe:

In the years following "I'll Never Smile Again" Lowe composed many other songs, including another Sinatra favourite, "Put Your Dreams Away", which was played at his funeral in 1998. Able to put her loss behind her, Lowe married for a second time in 1945, this time to Nathan Sandler. From this union two sons (Tommy and Stephen) were born. Ms. Lowe died on January 24, 1981.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 01:07:22 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2004, 11:34:44 AM »

Re Ms. Jackson, I just thought she was impersonating her sister, LaToya!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2004, 11:48:08 AM »

CLICK HERE for another article about the SuperBowl Half Time "incident" and it has the "reveal" picture.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2004, 11:53:05 AM »

A second round of thanks to the afternoon well wishers. I thank you all for the birthday greetings and now I must get back to work (ugh), but you have all brightened my day.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2004, 11:57:51 AM »

I’m back from Bethesda.  I’m happy to say the weather, though very cold & windy, stayed clear.  My friend and I enjoyed our trip to the Botanical gardens where it was nice and warm.  

While I was gone Keith entertained himself on the computer and checked out the following site for unclaimed money:  https://scoweb.sco.ca.gov  
He found money for my Dad, sister, niece, his brother, my ex-brother in-law, our son’s girlfriend and her sister.  I highly suggest everyone check out this site, you never know.  

DRLaura, my deepest sympathy, I was greatly saddened to read you lost Roxie.  I know how difficult and painful this is for you.  :(  

Panni you received your Green Card!!  Now you can relax.  Congratulations.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy birthday Ben[/move] [/color] and a belated happy birthday to Kerry & Donald.

I only scanned the first page yesterday, sorry if I missed commenting on an important event.

I see a new member.  Welcome CharlieToft.   :)

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2004, 12:16:47 PM »

Welcome back DR Jane!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2004, 12:22:21 PM »

Accident?  Hahahahahaha.  I don't think so.  Not so much shocking as boring.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2004, 12:23:42 PM »

Thanks MBarnum.  It is nice to be home.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2004, 12:25:13 PM »

Jane:  So glad to have you back where you belong (a Hello, Dolly! reference).  If Keith was entertaining himself on the computer while you were gone, why didn't he sign on to HHW under your name?  Think of all the trouble he could have caused you!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2004, 12:28:52 PM »

Dan-in-Toronto thanks for the history lesson on “I’ll Never Smile Again”.  I love WWII songs.

“I’ll be Seeing You”

“When the Lights Go On Again” (All Over the World)

“Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy”

“I Don’t Want to Walk Without You”

“I’ll Get By”

“Comin’ In On a Wing and a Prayer”

“It’s Been a Long, Long Time”

“Till Then”

“Don’t Get Around Much Anymore”

“I’ll Walk Alone”

And my absolute favorite, “The White Cliffs of Dover”

There are more but I’m stopping now.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2004, 12:30:28 PM »

TCB LOL.  Guess I didn't need him to post & defend me this time (remember the whip cream?)

Jane

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2004, 12:34:04 PM »

Emily don’t forget you can also repeat “Groundhog Day” on the Encore channel.   :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2004, 12:35:43 PM »

Welcome back Jane.
I was going to mention the Andews Sisters singing "Ferry Boat Serenade"  but thought someone would pronounce it as Fairyboat. Ok Jed.
Dan: You mean to say that "I'll Never Smile Again" wasn't written for Tab Hunter?
See you all much much later.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2004, 12:36:00 PM »

TCB LOL.  Guess I didn't need him to post & defend me this time (remember the whip cream?)

Ah, yes!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2004, 12:42:00 PM »

Jennifer no wonder you asked for suggestions on the Super Bowl commercials.  There are too many to watch them all.  I just sent an email to my brother as I’m sure he watched the show.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2004, 12:43:20 PM »

Thank you Tomovoz.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2004, 12:55:54 PM »

Yes, I've always liked "The White Cliffs of Dover," too. And Doris Day's "Sentimental Journey."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 12:56:52 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Emily

« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2004, 01:23:23 PM »

hey BK - is there going to be a chat çe soir?

there hasn't been one in oh so long... :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2004, 01:26:53 PM »

WEL-

A little correction on your assessment of DIARY OF ANNE FRANK. The DVD that was just released ends with OTTO FRANK back in the attic with the retelling of how he found out how everyone died and Anne's voice saying 'I believe everyone is good at heart" and Otto saying " 'She puts me to shame"

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2004, 01:42:40 PM »

I meant to comment on THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK. I agree that George Stevens became his own worst enemy as his films after A PLACE IN THE SUN become more and more ponderous. I'm not one of those people who thinks GIANT is a great film (I know I'm in the minority). I think it's too long and slow, but when you have two relative ciphers as the young leads, Millie Perkins and Richard Beymer, you know you're in for a long afternoon. I know Stevens tried to get Audrey Hepburn for the film (she played young pretty convincingly that same year in THE NUN'S STORY so she might could have pulled it off), and that Millie Perkins was far from his first choice. I think Anthony Perkins might have been the right idea for Peter, but I guess he was busy with FEAR STRIKES OUT.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2004, 01:57:35 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN!![/move]

and

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Welcome, New D(ear) R(eader) Charlie Toft![/move]

Emily don’t forget you can also repeat “Groundhog Day” on the Encore channel.   :)

Speaking of "Groundhog Day," has anyone heard anything more about Stephen Sondheim getting the musical theater rights to this movie?  Is it going to be his next new show?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

CharlieToft

« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2004, 02:06:46 PM »

Yes, George, Sondheim is supposedly working on GROUNDHOG DAY. But he is also working on finishing up some songs for the Nathan Lane THE FROGS for this summer.

Another good swing-era song that makes me jitterbug on the gym treadmill: "Milkman, Keep Those Bottles Quiet". Also, anything Betty Hutton.  And Dortothy Lamour's "Injun Gal Heap Hep" is another song that once heard, is never forgotten.

The picture is a childhood snapshot with my pug Percy.
If I tell you what I want and then you do it, it doesn't count because I had to tell you.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2004, 02:23:50 PM »

The picture is a childhood snapshot with my pug Percy.

Hokay, I'll bite.

It appears you lived a rather, um, formal childhood, Dear Reader Charlie Toft.  Wouldst thou enlighten the minions of Hainsies and Kimlets who hold unquenchable curiosity about such matters?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2004, 02:29:55 PM »

According to Playbill.com, Gypsy Revival to Close Feb. 28.  The article says:

According to a statement, "The producers stated that the current extreme weather conditions in New York, which have caused an industry-wide decline in ticket sales, contributed to the decision to close the production." If the box office shows a marked improvement, however, the producers may extend the Gypsy run. (The producers of Never Gonna Dance also announced Feb. 2 that that show would close prematurely on Feb. 15, also citing the poor weather.)

George

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2004, 02:59:45 PM »

As far as swing numbers, the ones that I can think of are ones that have already been mentioned...unless I look when I get home tonight.  Anyway, here they are:

"Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive"
"Bob-White"
"Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"
"I Don’t Want to Walk Without You"
"In the Mood"
"Sing, Sing, Sing (as far as I know, I've never heard of "Swing, Swing, Swing" unless it's the same music but with lyrics)
"Skylark" (especially the way Dianne Reeves sang it live when I ushered for her concert on Saturday...incredible...although she doesn't do it in the style of the period)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2004, 03:05:10 PM »

I think most of my favorites have been covered by one person or another today.  Does With A Song In My Heart count as WWII?

I love I'll Be Seeing You
          In the Mood
And, although it is a little early, or a little late, I would have to include I'll Be Home for Christmas

I played the grandfather in the play A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square and I got to sing several wonderful old WWII songs, including White Cliffs of Dover.        
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2004, 03:05:26 PM »

I suppose we can have a chat tonight if there are enough takers.  Six?

George

« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2004, 03:10:36 PM »

I can chat at six.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2004, 03:20:08 PM »

It's time for a new dance-

I GOT MY CELL PHONE BACK DANCE!!!

Whew!

After getting a call from another dispatcher and driver earlier this afternoon, I kindly asked if they could just bring my phone by whenever they happened to be in my neighborhood anytime today - or tomorrow if necessary.  Well, I got a call around 2:30, and the cab driver said she would bring it over this afternoon.  Well, she came by, and called my home phone and asked if I could come outside.  So, I step to the window of the cab, and she's holding out a cell phone... In a leather case... My phone doesn't have a leather case... AAGHH!!... So, she starts digging through the compartment betweent he front seats... And then holds up another phone, "So, is it this one?"  YES!!  WHEW!

I GOT MY CELL PHONE BACK DANCE!!!

-And who knew that a cell phone could absorb so much car air freshener smell? ;-)

-And isn't it kind of sad that I'm so relieved to get my cell phone back?  Especially when I'm waiting on word on my car repair(s) - I should have a call from the shop tomorrow morning... And I've decided that if it's something major that will cost some major money, I may just sell it to them for parts and scrap.

On the bright side of things, I haven't been online too much - or as much - today since I wanted to keep my land-line free.

Well, time for me to get ready for dinner!  It's 1/2 price burger and quiche night at Strawberry St. Cafe!  They don't serve burgers and quiche together, but I guess you could order both... heck, they'd be 1/2 price, so... hmmm... lunch tomorrow? ;-)

Oh, and regarding Mr. Timberlake and Ms. Jackson... If it was a "wardrobe malfunction", how was the "wardrobe" supposed to function in the first place then?  Was her whole top supposed to come off instead?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2004, 03:22:56 PM »

Oh, I can make chat tonight... but will most likely be a little late... But prolly no later than 9:30.. well, 6:30 HHW time.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up