Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LUBITSCH TOUCH  (Read 60129 times)

Kerry

Re:THE LUBITSCH TOUCH
« Reply #210 on: February 15, 2008, 08:12:50 PM »

Good night, Mary Ellen!
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2008, 08:14:14 PM »

By the 5th episode the exterior of the house was different, but it was still Hazel's kitchen.  So far Marty Milner and Harvey Korman have appeared in some episodes.  A different world .....

I LOVE the episode with Paul Lynde. My favorite of the entire run of the series.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #212 on: February 15, 2008, 08:15:14 PM »

Thanks for the report, MBarnum.

Matt H.

« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2008, 08:17:27 PM »

I began my evening by watching the remaining bonus features on WALKER.

One feature called WALKER 2008 was nothing but director Alex Cox pulling out the file of reviews for WALKER, noting the two or three positive reviews the film received, and then reading excerpts from all the negative ones. I didn't quite understand the point of the feature. It's not like time has proven the film a masterpiece at all. It still divides everyone who sees it: some love it and others think it's ridiculous.

Matt H.

« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2008, 08:19:05 PM »

I did enjoy the audio commentary, however. He and screenwriter Rudy Wurlitzer NEVER stop talking for the entire 94 minutes, are interesting talkers, and cover every aspect of the writing, filming, and reaction to the movie.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #215 on: February 15, 2008, 08:19:52 PM »

Larry, you could send one of us west coasters her contact info.  A sensible 10 or 11 o'clock repeated "wrong number"call here is 1 or 2 in the a.m. there.  I can protest innocence with the best of them--in a heavy Armenian accent.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #216 on: February 15, 2008, 08:20:53 PM »

Here it is only 8:15 and I am listening to Frank Stallone (with the Billy May orchestra) sing BUT BEAUTIFUL. I am feeling all tingly inside.

He is one heck of a crooner and I certainly recommend his CDs.

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: February 15, 2008, 08:21:19 PM »

I saw my very first HD-DVD tonight: PRIDE & PREJUDICE. I only got to see a little bit of it, but I rewatched it in SD earlier this week so I could have the SD image firmly in my mind when I saw the HD version.

No comparison, of course. So much sharper, much more dimensional in look, and details all were more lifelike. The Dolby TrueHD track made the music sound like it was wafting around you, kind of hovering in the air. Remarkable.

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: February 15, 2008, 08:22:28 PM »

MONK had its best mystery and best episode in a long time. Even though it's a two parter, the mystery gets solved right at the end of the first part. Being able to pin it on the guilty party will obviously be what what two will be about next week.

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: February 15, 2008, 08:23:34 PM »

PSYCH was hilarious tonight with the boys investigating a missing mummy and getting creeped out about investigating in a dark museum. Shawn's efforts to sneak by Gus had me in stitches.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2008, 08:24:33 PM »

TOD:

CD:
2 CDs purchased from today from Roberta Shore and two CDs purchased today from Frank Stallone.

I am currently listening to "RANDY BOONE AND ROBERTA SHORE: THE SINGING STARS OF THE VIRGINIAN". It is fun.

Though Max Steiner is sometimes inexplicably listed as composer of the great (first) Theme from The Virginian, it is in fact a marvelous Percy Faith composition, his only television theme.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #221 on: February 15, 2008, 08:25:41 PM »

Tomorrow, before I can start BEOWULF, I have an Irish kid's animated program to watch that won last year's Emmy for Best Animated CHildren's Show. I can't even remember the name of it (I'd never heard of it), but it's 92 minutes (I'm assuming a bunch of episodes rather than one long TV film.) I'll find out tomorrow.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #222 on: February 15, 2008, 08:32:32 PM »

I have not see Beowulf yet, but it is on my list.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #223 on: February 15, 2008, 08:40:48 PM »

I probably won't get to BEOWULF until Sunday. I don't remember what kind of bonus features are on it (it may even be a two disc set. It came weeks ago, but I do the DVDs in order of release dates).

After that, it's that mammoth Criterion box for THE LAST EMPEROR which has FOUR discs in it - two separate versions of the film (one with commentary) plus two discs of bonus features. It will take me three or four days with that box alone.

Matt H.

« Reply #224 on: February 15, 2008, 08:41:22 PM »

I'm I'm going to finish writing up WALKER and then head down to bed. Thankfully, there's not much left to say about WALKER.

Good night!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2008, 08:49:22 PM »

It is quiet this evening...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2008, 08:58:51 PM »

Today, I read my book for class, worked on an essay and did some exercising....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #227 on: February 15, 2008, 09:05:03 PM »

Just heard a story on nightline that land near the Hollywood sign is being sold. IMHO, it is not a good thing. It would mar the iconic legacy of the sign.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: February 15, 2008, 09:15:20 PM »

Page eight?

MBarnum

« Reply #229 on: February 15, 2008, 09:23:12 PM »

I spent an hour playing BOOKWORM...it has been a long time...I thought I had gotten that monkey off my back.

FJL

« Reply #230 on: February 15, 2008, 09:23:15 PM »

Had a lovely dinner with neighbors Bart and Marian.  

I have to got to the tax office tomorrow, so goodnight.

FJL

« Reply #231 on: February 15, 2008, 09:24:01 PM »

BK - Did that box of Milla CD's get sent out?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2008, 09:24:45 PM »

I am back from a long show and a great dinner with Mr. Bert I. Gordon and beautiful daughter Christina.

FJL

« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2008, 09:25:35 PM »

Hope it was a successful day, BK!

MBarnum

« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2008, 09:25:43 PM »

Does anyone happen to have the 1962 version of TOWER OF LONDON on dvd? I guess it is out of print now and I need to see it (Netflix does not seem to have it and I don't want to spend 25 bucks buying it from an Amazon.com buyer). I hope to be interviewing someone from the film in a the very near future.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 09:27:00 PM by MBarnum »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2008, 09:26:18 PM »

The show was fun.  I don't think it was that well attended, but then again Friday is a work day for most people.  That said, Mr. Borgnine had a HUGE line the entire time, as did Mr. Falk.  Then there was Mr. Kennedy and Miss Channing - their lines weren't nearly as big but were steady all day long.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2008, 09:26:43 PM »

Milla's box will go out Monday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2008, 09:26:56 PM »

That doesn't sound right.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2008, 09:28:24 PM »

I arrived at the hotel at nine-thirty and got a great parking space.  There were very few people in the room, which I found peculiar until someone informed me the show didn't start until eleven.  I thought it was ten.  The good news was that they let hotel guests in early and someone came to my table five minutes after I arrived and bought two books and two CDs - a lovely way to start the day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »

Our aisle really wasn't busy, though, for most of the day.  Bert arrived about thirty minutes after I did, and we just had a great time together all day.  Miss Mackenzie Phillips wasn't there and, in fact, didn't show up until three because she broke a tooth.  By that time, Mr. Jonathan Winters had left because he ran out of photos, so Mackenzie took his prime table.  She'll probably be back with us tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up