Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALREADY ALREADY  (Read 36453 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:ALREADY ALREADY
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2004, 07:05:36 PM »

Don't you love the word "wanton"?

I do, actually. I was thinking that a deliciously wicked Chinese lady might be called a won ton woman.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2004, 07:09:44 PM »

It is difficult using the mouse when I keep coughing so I’m going back to bed with some tea to sooth my throat.  Good night.

Panni

« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2004, 07:10:40 PM »

Dan-in-TO - Yesterday I found a long list of Canadian stuff I had done. Have you ever run across THE MARRIAGE BED? I know they play it on Cannuck TV once in a while. I think you'd like it. Here's the synopsis from this strange website I found:
THE MARRIAGE BED  
(1986) Linda Griffiths, Layne Coleman, Jan Rubes, Martha Gibson, Vivian Reis, Clare Coulter, Lyn Jackson, R.H. Thomson.....Story of a pregnant woman (Griffiths), deserted by her husband (Coleman), as Christmas approaches, and the advice she receives from equally unhappy and mixed-up friends and relatives.  Griffiths is excellent in this downbeat made-for-CBC TV comedy-drama, and heads a good cast with good dialogue.  But if slice-of-life isn't your cup of tea, be warned.  Won Best Movie/Special Gemini.  sc. Anna Sandor (from the novel by Constance Beresford-Howe). d. Martin Lavut. app. 97 min.

I thoroughly disagree with the "slice-of-life" bit. It's actually rather whimsical in its own bizarre way.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 07:13:36 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2004, 07:12:05 PM »

Good night, Jane. Feel better!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2004, 07:14:11 PM »

DR Jay...Great minds work along the same lines.  I was just thinking today as I read the news about Masschussetts (spelling?), "How can Bush remotely say that the institution of marriage is sacred when we have a divorce rate of what?  About 50% in this country?  No, it's not sacred at all,  people in this country change spouses almost as easily as they change houses or cars.  

I know plenty of homosexual couples who are far more committed in their relationship than many of the heterosexual couples I know.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2004, 07:14:43 PM »

Good evening!

Good class tonight.  Good dinner - pizza, again.  And now I have to pack for Memphis!

So... Once I'm done packing, I'll check back in later...  -I'm actually just amazed that I don't have to get up at 5:00am tomorrow to catch my flight, since my flight doesn't leave until 9:30am.  No 6:30am flight as usual this time.  :)

OK - Back after packing....
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2004, 07:16:29 PM »

Do you have a mouse in your throat instead of a frog Jane? Sleep Well.
Panni: Heavy wicked Chinese Lady One Ton Wanton Won Ton. And I guess if she were to be "needy" she would be "wantin" as well.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2004, 07:18:15 PM »

I know plenty of homosexual couples who are far more committed in their relationship than many of the heterosexual couples I know.

My daughter, now 20, still sleeps with a teddy bear named Danji. Danji was given to her when she was born by our friends Dan and Jim (thus the name "Danji"). At the time - 20 years ago - they had been together for at least 10 years. They are still together and are the happiest, most solid couple I know.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2004, 07:21:40 PM »

Soy sauce??????????????????????
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2004, 07:24:00 PM »

Panni: Heavy wicked Chinese Lady One Ton Wanton Won Ton. And I guess if she were to be "needy" she would be "wantin" as well.

And if she were pale and exhausted from all the weight and wanting, she'd be a wan wantin' one ton wanton won ton woman.
That's it! I'm warning you (and that means Jay) leave it alone!
I'm going to make my supper. I hope there are lots of fun posts when I come back -- none of them having anything to do with wanton, etc.

Andrea

« Reply #160 on: February 05, 2004, 07:25:16 PM »

But they do lead to marriage, so under Bushamerica's so-called morality, they are sacrosanct.

Clarification:

They lead to "straight Marriage"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2004, 07:26:31 PM »

Thanks DRJane...I am excited.

Well after years (and years) of reading reviews and opinions, after watching really falling in love with BONJOUR TRISTESSE.....I watched Otto Preminger's "Saint Joan" -

My own opinion - Jean Seberg does a nice job with some flashes of inspiration as Joan D'Arc....  The supporting cast is mostly fine....Richard Widmark is a strange and not entirely successful choice as the Dauphin - but the confrontation of Joan and the Tribunal was well done....and the ending very moving.  

Good score.....unfortunately my $5.00 video was "colorized" so I am not sure about the photography, but it seems fine.

Jean Seberg is one of the most interesting young actresses of her generation.  Misused and maligned...but a winner!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #162 on: February 05, 2004, 07:33:35 PM »

You want offensive TV?  How about $#!% like "The Bachelor" and "Who Wants to Marry A Millionaire."  That's offensive TV.  But they do lead to marriage, so under Bushamerica's so-called morality, they are sacrosanct.
You're blaming this on Bush?  I thought the media was supposed to be liberal!   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Kerry

« Reply #163 on: February 05, 2004, 07:33:57 PM »

Congratulations, Jack, on both parts of your news.  Glad top seee all our good vibes worked.

Nightmare casting--- I think you've listed them all.  I was tempted to  put Carol Channing in there, but she could have done a decent job at it a few decades ago.  Maybe Charles Nelson Reilly as the Mayor.

Feel better all.

And DRLAURA:    I am so proud of you for FINALLY posting a pic of yourself.   A current one would be fine too, but I've already told you that
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2004, 07:39:11 PM »

Don't you love the word "wanton"?
I've heard that there was a Chinese restaurant a few years ago here in Rehoboth, which went by the name of "Wanton Desires."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2004, 07:46:51 PM »

Hmm...second day of auditions today. I obviously didn't go, since I went yesterday, but I had a friend who stayed after to help. She said that barely any people showed up, and that maybe 50 people tried out total.

Which means that the musical will be horrible this year.

Not HORRIBLE...but I can't help but wonder how many people didn't try out becasue it's Camelot. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but last year we did Grease, and a BILLION people tried out. It has gone downhill in interest.

And we're in the middle of a sleet/ice/rain/snow mixture right now. I REALLY hope they doin't panic as usual and close school, although I wouldn't mind a 2 hour delay. Callbacks are posted tomorrow, and I want to see the list!

And thank you, Jane, for saying my Gigantic eye is lovely. I wonder if I could turn it brown in paint...I want brown eyes! I hope you feel better!

Jennifer- While I agree that Nicole, on American Idol, had a nice voice, her personality was much too "Look at me! Look at me!" I found myself getting very annoyed with her. Especially when she was forever seeking out the cameras...just bothered me. She should take their advice and work towards a career in theatre.

And I agree with you about the redhead boy and the brothers! They SO should not have gotten through! They forgot all of the words, and even then, they were awful singers! The only person I felt bad for who didn't make it was the "old guy". He WAS a little too old-looking, but his voice was like buttah :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

William E. Lurie

« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2004, 07:49:36 PM »

This Just In---

The York has just announced the Spring Musicals in Mufti series and it is certainly more adventuresome than the Encores series:

BEST FOOT FORWARD
FANNY
WEIRD ROMANCE (revised and with two new songs)

Then there will be a full staged production of a revue based on the works of Kenward Elmslie with music by several composers including Claibe Richardson.  BK - you have to find the funding to record and release this.  Most of the recent York shows have been recorded by John Yap which means recorded and then into his vaults to be released sometime in the future.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2004, 07:50:24 PM »

WHY does it look like I've been given a black eye?! I can't even look good in pictures of my eyes!! I am officially the most unphotogenic person in the world.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2004, 07:55:16 PM »

Panni,

I've read Constance Beresford-Howe's The Book of Eve (and should reread it), but not The Marriage Bed - nor have I seen it. But I'll certainly watch for it. Is it available on video?

I hope you don't mind but I did a bit of surfing (snooping?), and along the way learned that you're a recipient of the Margaret Collier Award. (This award is presented to writer for a body of work in Canadian television or for significant contribution to the international profile of Canadian television. The recipient is presented with a Gemini Award statue.) (Other recipients have included Wayne and Shuster, and Timothy Findley.)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2004, 07:57:46 PM »

Wontons? Not now.
(And you can say that backwards, too.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2004, 07:58:24 PM »

I am really worn out.  Der Brucer and I were up early, getting the house ready for the moving van and his son-in-law and co-horts, who are helping unload said van.  Of course, the van itself was supposed to arrive sometime between nine and eleven, and didn't get here until twelve-thirty.  The poor driver got confused.

So far, we've got about two-thirds of the van unloaded, but the third that remains is the heavy furniture.  Isn't that always the way?  My room is looking pretty good; the only thing missing is the headboard for my bed.  The rest of the house looks like something struck by the proverbial tornado.

Der Brucer is upset by the damage done to some of the furniture, due to son-in-law not recognizing the value of some of the pieces.  Let me rephrase that.  Der Brucer is [size=20]uPsET[/size][/b][/color]by the damage.

But the house is beginning to look a lot more like a home than just a house.  We've got boxes everywhere, and things are a mess.  Yep, this is what a house looks like.  

Early to bed, and early to rise.  Back to it tomorrow morning.  That is, if the ice falling tonight doesn't make everyone scared to try to do any work come sunrise.

Panni

« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2004, 08:16:48 PM »

I've read Constance Beresford-Howe's The Book of Eve (and should reread it), but not The Marriage Bed - nor have I seen it. But I'll certainly watch for it. Is it available on video?
Not that I know of. The first TV-movie I ever did was also one of hers -- A POPULATION OF ONE. The weirdest thing that happened with that one is that the star (Dixie Seatle) got a fan letter from Neil Simon, who had seen it on PBS. She didn't know what to do with it, so I said I'd be happy to answer it - which I did. After that Simon and I corresponded a few times -- really interesting letters about critics, writing, NY vs. LA.
And yes, I got the Margaret Collier Award - a lovely honor. I was the first woman up until that time to get it. (And probably the youngest person.) My theory was that they realized they hadn't ever given it to a female and were desperately searching and came up with my name. Whatever the reason, it was nice to get it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 08:18:39 PM by Panni »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2004, 08:28:50 PM »

I completely agree about Van Heflin in SHANE. He's the actor who's normally overlooked when people talk about that wonderful movie, and he deserves better.

I have never seen GREEN DOLPHIN STREET. I want to, and I know being an MGM film that it's in TCM's rotation, but I never seem to be in the right place at the right time to catch it. One of these days for sure. Took me years to finally catch MAYTIME, but I finally did. I'll get to GDS, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2004, 08:57:06 PM »

Someone mentioned Melba Moore earlier. I just saw her in what I think you can safely call  her "cabaret" show and she was terrific. Relaxed and in fine voice (what a range). In her show, she talks about her family and acts out some scenes. There was a good balance between song and word. I was sorry to leave at intermission. I wanted to find out what happened.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: February 05, 2004, 09:38:41 PM »

Say, where did everyone up and disappear to?  Watching a very interesting and strange film which I'll have more to say about when I've finished it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: February 05, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »

Oh, and WHERE IS MAYA?

Panni

« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2004, 09:40:13 PM »

Has everyone gone to bed?

Tomovoz

« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2004, 09:41:36 PM »

Not at 4.40pm Panni!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2004, 09:46:16 PM »

SwishyS, you take a fine photo judging from the glimpses that you have shown us...even the one with braces!

But I do believe your big eye is following me!

Tomovoz

« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2004, 09:48:16 PM »

I am listening to the Cd of "2001 - a space odyssey" at the moment. There is a montage of dialogue from the film. I had forgotten that HAL probably had more lines than the actors. It is even eerie lisening.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up