Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE VARSITY DRAG  (Read 32552 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE VARSITY DRAG
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 07:12:07 AM »

I didn't know that Marcel Marceau was a tranny!

Well, that was inevitable!

der Brucer

And I was considering a tasteless Helen Keller joke.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 07:19:05 AM »

Good morning, all! I went to the Kritzerland site to order the forthcoming CD, but I can find no means of doing so. What the hell?

Thank you all for the financial vibes. My wire payment arrived today, but the Cassidy check, which would cover my payments to my accountant for my IRS return and my lawyer for the new will, would be very helpful at the moment.

Today, the eyeglasses place, kinko's, and the NYPL Music Collection. The neighbor above me, who bears an uncanny ability to come stomping into his apartment and drag heavy objects across the floor as his dog scampers around  just after I've turned off the tv and the lights, did his usual last night, and I could not get to sleep.  Thank God his noisy girlfriend was absent last night or there would have been to much laughing and their noisy sex to endure as well.

And on that, I have other fish to fry.

Lar, Bruce hasn't put the CD information up at Kritzerland yet. He announced it to us and then took the post down. He will put the ordering information up at Kritzerland when he makes a formal announcement. You can order it through Paypal (I don't remember his e-mail address). It's $19.98 plus $3.50 shipping ($23.48)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 07:22:08 AM »

Good morning, all! I went to the Kritzerland site to order the forthcoming CD, but I can find no means of doing so. What the hell?

Would you like me to Personal Message you the secret?

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 07:28:35 AM »

Lar, Bruce hasn't put the CD information up at Kritzerland yet. He announced it to us and then took the post down. He will put the ordering information up at Kritzerland when he makes a formal announcement. You can order it through Paypal (I don't remember his e-mail address). It's $19.98 plus $3.50 shipping ($23.48)

Oy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2008, 07:37:38 AM »

Ask BK:

Other "Best Musical" winners (50-80's) that have never been revived. Your opinion why not.

Redhead
Fiorello (and pulitzer prize winner)
Bye Bye Birdie
Hallelujah, Baby!
Applause
Two Gentlemen of Verona
Raisin
Evita
Drood

HALLELUJAH BABY and DROOD were not financial successes during their runs (BABY only ran half a season; that year, none of the Best Musical nominees was a financial hit). I'm sure that was one consideration about ever mounting a Broadway revival.

Yes, I know several Sondheim musicals weren't hits either and have been revived, but he's the exception to the rule.

I think most people regard REDHEAD as a star vehicle for Gwen Verdon and without her, no show. (It's among the weakest Best Musical winners ever, at least based on the cast recording.) Most people also regard APPLAUSE as having rather weak material for a revival. Perhaps if a BIG STAR wanted to do it, they could mount a revival around the star, but it would take a big star.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2008, 07:39:16 AM »

Good morning!

More gray skies this morning with the rain forecast still in effect. So far, no rain, however.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2008, 07:40:54 AM »

TV Reminders:

SURVIVOR moves to Wednesday this week to accommodate NCAA basketball tomorrow night. Big Brother, of course, also shows tonight.

LAW & ORDER is new tonight.

IDOL results will be recorded and skimmed through in 10 minutes. Kellie Pickler will be on tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2008, 07:42:26 AM »

Unless some review DVDs come today (I'm expecting THERE WILL BE BLOOD soon), I plan to watch one more NUMBERS episode while I cook and eat lunch. Then this afternoon will be given over to THE YOUNG PHILADELPHIANS. Looking forward very much to seeing this.

Ben

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2008, 07:45:09 AM »

A revised Hallelujah, Baby! was done in DC a few years ago with the idea of possibly bringing it back to Broadway but it was not received well and died a-borning.

I do think there are some wonderful songs in the score. I've never seen a production. I know the plot from reading about the show.

Leslie Uggams won a Tony that year for Hallelujah, Baby! It was one of the years with a tie for Best Actress in a Musical. She shared the Tony with Patricia Routledge who won for Darling of the Day

DERBRUCER

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2008, 07:48:58 AM »

Perhaps if a BIG STAR wanted to do it, they could mount a revival around the star, but it would take a big star.

Like Rosie O'Donnell :D

der Brucer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2008, 07:51:21 AM »

[blatant self-promotion]
And incidentally (clearing throat), I wrote the liner notes for the recent "Best of" Rundgren anthology for Rhino Records -- my third such project for the label.

Bretty--I didn't realize you had written those. I haven't bought that collection because I already have a lot of those on CD's. Todd Rudgren is one of my favorites. (He's coming to Atlanta next month---yay!)

I've mentioned this on HHW before, but not to you. My best friend and I love Todd's "Lord Chancellor's Nightmare" and memorized the lyrics. We used it as our sobriety test in college. We would alternate singing verses, and the person who slipped up would not be allowed to drive. (Well, we're talking 2-3 drinks max...that's all we could afford!)

I didn't know about his love of musicals (I haven't heard "Something's Coming", but I do like his "Never Never Land" from PETER PAN.) Now it all makes sense.

Gee, if only I had a copy of those liner notes, I would know all this!
 ;)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2008, 07:54:48 AM »

A revised Hallelujah, Baby! was done in DC a few years ago with the idea of possibly bringing it back to Broadway but it was not received well and died a-borning.

From said event:

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 08:10:15 AM »

DR Jose, the place in NY where our friends had the popovers was called BLT Prime.

And in other foodie news, Kevin Rathbun (he owns the restaurant we dined in during your trip to Atlanta) won Iron Chef last month.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2008, 08:13:08 AM »

I scored REDHEAD for Goodspeed in 1998; it's a terrible show that must have originally been such a stunning showcase for Bob Fosse that no one saw its drawbacks because of the staging, the star, and the designs. Albert Hague liked my work and he was a lovely man, but I don't think he's one of my favorite composers. The production, by Chris Ashley, should have looked at earlier drafts of the show because even Gwen Verdon couldn't sustain the role and started cutting songs because of fatigue: she never leaves the stage in Fosse's shrill and continuous attempt to make her the center of everything. Goodspeed's leading lady was charming but not served well by director or choreographer. Perhaps examining  one of the earlier drafts for Bea Lille or Mary Martin might have made the book play better.

TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA played several years ago in Central Park with Rosario Dawson, and it was as delightful as it was in 1971. However not enough buzz to move the show elsewhere.

Encores! just did APPLAUSE with Christine Ebersole and it got so-so reviews. I don't believe Ebersole was a good choice for the role since everything had to be esentially rescored to move the songs to her range and I don't think its book's as good as ALL ABOUT EVE or its score as good as BYE BYE BIRDIE.

Roundabout will supposedly prevent BYE BYE BIRDIE as one of its upcoming revisals. Pity.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2008, 08:14:52 AM »

There are horror stories about the attempt to revive HALLELUJAH BABY. As for RAISIN, it's a why? show since the play, which is currently in revival on Broadway is so much better, and the question is why musicalize it?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2008, 08:18:41 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I need some coffee.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2008, 08:19:50 AM »

If you read the AUSTRALIAN PRESS YOU WOULD LEARN:

Hotel to offer sex toy minibar

A NEW boutique hotel at a seaside resort in northwest England will offer guests a sex toy minibar when it opens later this year, its owner said.

The Vincent Hotel, in Southport, near Liverpool, will have "intimate seduction kits" in each of its 60 rooms from May, containing lubricating gel, massage oil, a vibrating ring and two condoms.

The kit will be in a sealed box alongside more traditional minibar items like nuts, chocolate and alcohol.

Guests can request an extra special kit containing a whip, mask and bondage tape.

"As well as giving guests a design conscious venue to stay, we wanted to give them a decadent, inspiring and seductive environment to enjoy," hotel owner Paul Adams said today.

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2008, 08:21:18 AM »

As for Hallelujah, Baby!... Well, maybe after Mr. Laurents gets the upcoming revival of West Side Story up this fall, he can turn his attention back to Hallelujah, Baby!.  As has been previously indicated, I was a part of the revised version that was presented at both George Street Playhouse in New Jersey and Arena Stage in DC.  Thankfully, I was only with the production during it's DC run.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2008, 08:22:34 AM »

If you read the AUSTRALIAN PRESS YOU WOULD LEARN:der Brucer

Well, as long as the hotel rooms have sound-muffling walls, and the hotel has a decent linen-laundering service...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2008, 08:24:48 AM »

As for Applause coming back... It really would require a true Star to carry that show if it were to come back.  Alas, any of today's "Stars" would be too young for the role.  And, yes, the book is middling, and the score has it's share of padding too, imho.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 08:27:14 AM »

More from the AUSTRALIAN PRESS

WOMAN GOES FOR LEG OPERATION, GETS NEW ANUS INSTEAD

A German retiree is taking a hospital to court after she went in for a leg operation and got a new anus instead, the Daily Telegraph is reporting.

The woman woke up to find she had been mixed up with another patient suffering from incontinence who was to have surgery on her sphincter.

The clinic in Hochfranken, Bavaria, has since suspended the surgical team.

I'm sure JRand will have a Uranal explanation for the event.

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2008, 08:27:14 AM »

Well, I did get a review disc in the UPS delivery: the Blu-ray release of HIDALGO scheduled for April 1.

I still plan to watch THE YOUNG PHILADELPHIANS this afternoon, and then tonight, I'll watch HIDALGO on Blu-ray. There appear to be only two bonus features on the disc (ported over from the original sDVD release) and no commentary, so I should be able to complete this disc tonight.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:27:38 AM by Matt H. »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2008, 08:28:38 AM »

As for Applause coming back... It really would require a true Star to carry that show if it were to come back.  Alas, any of today's "Stars" would be too young for the role.  

Glenn Close?

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2008, 08:31:41 AM »

There are horror stories about the attempt to revive HALLELUJAH BABY. As for RAISIN, it's a why? show since the play, which is currently in revival on Broadway is so much better, and the question is why musicalize it?

Pssst... The Raisin in the Sun revival closed a few seasons back in 2004. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2008, 08:32:03 AM »

Another possible revival

Promises Promises

though I don't think Sean Hayes is remotely right for the role. I'm not dissing his talent, I'm just saying I don't see him as Chuck Baxter nor do I see Anne Hathaway  as Fran Kubelik.

I guess that's why I'm not a producer.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2008, 08:33:05 AM »

Glenn Close?

der Brucer

I think she's still aiming to star in the ever-announced revival of A Little Night Music.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2008, 08:35:27 AM »

Glenn Close or Meryl Streep could do it and would be big enough star names to draw crowds. Certainly, however, A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC would be a vastly better vehicle for her talents.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2008, 08:36:05 AM »

Heading down now to get lunch started.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2008, 08:39:52 AM »

DR Jose, the place in NY where our friends had the popovers was called BLT Prime.

And in other foodie news, Kevin Rathbun (he owns the restaurant we dined in during your trip to Atlanta) won Iron Chef last month.

Oh, very nice!  There is some good eatin' to be had at BLT Prime, and the other restaurants - well, "Bistros" in Laurent Tourondel's empire.  "BLT" = Bistro Laurent Tourondel.  And, yes, those popovers are very good.

BLT Restaurants
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2008, 08:42:22 AM »

Ah, yes!  "Battle Elk"!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up