Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THEME FROM DRAGNET  (Read 24147 times)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:THEME FROM DRAGNET
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2004, 11:45:05 AM »

Pets - I had a rat named Shy.  He died in January.  I shall post a pic of him later today.  My parents have a basenji named Griffin.  He's a good dog, loves to cuddle, but is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  He will often forget who's a friend and who's an enemy.  Jed has a puncture mark on his hand to prove that one.

TV Theme song - my all time favorite is hands down the theme from M*A*S*H.  Other favorites -
The Simpsons
Growing Pains
Ducktales
Fraggle Rock
The Nanny
and more which I'm sure will occur to me later

off to get lunch...

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2004, 11:45:43 AM »

Hey, I started page 2!  Go me!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2004, 11:47:20 AM »

Oh yeah...although I can hardly believe I'm admitting this, I always liked the theme to Charles in Charge :)

Danise

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2004, 11:50:01 AM »

Pets?  Brandi and Bear.  Both mixed breeds.  To many dearly departed pets to name.  The latest being Fish Butt.  My 2 1/2 year old betta fish.

It seems I'm not the only one who misses him.  I'm always being asked when am I going to get another one.  It's going to take some time and I have to find the one that needs me.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2004, 11:52:58 AM »

Fosca & Magnus are our dogs (Keeshond or Dutch Barge Dog is the breed). No prizes for guessing  the inspiration for the the female's name. Magnus is from a chartacter in John Le Carré's "A Perfect Spy" and not from Carl Magnus.
I would certainly add "Peter Gunn", "Mission Impossible" and "Bonanza" to my list of instantly recognisable themes from  TV. Of more recent vintage "Hill Street Blues" would be one of the best.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2004, 11:54:40 AM »

Echo is a Bernese Mountain Dog.  Keith calls her our Hill dog as she is unusually small for her breed.  She also does volunteer work at a nursing home where she has fun visiting her friends & getting treats.  Like most herding dogs, she is very clever.

Bogie, our 13 year old cat is part Main Coon with long whiskers & long ear hairs.  Keith trims his long chest hairs so Bogies doesn’t choke on them.  He is a sweet, lovable, cuddly cat.

Since I’m feeling a bit better we are going to see “The Miracle”.  I think that is what it’s called.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2004, 11:55:21 AM »

Oh yeah...although I can hardly believe I'm admitting this, I always liked the theme to Charles in Charge :)

I watched that show with my younger son.  The theme song was catchy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2004, 11:56:42 AM »

Sharpei....named Holly.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2004, 11:56:53 AM »

Forgot M*A*S*H DR Ann. "Suicide is Painless" (I think it was written for the movie but I have not checked). Instantly recognisable tune.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2004, 12:04:43 PM »

Jane - I'm glad the chamomile was helpful! Hope this is the beginning of a turn for the better.

Noel - there are tons of books on the early years of television and the writers of that era. None of which I can think of at the moment, of course. But I'll get back to you.

As Mourned Pets were mentioned by FS Pogue, I have to include the late Katie, the dog I had before Abie. She was a white Lab we had for 13 years, named by my daughter. The best natured dog on the planet. And there was Cocoa, a Chocolate Lab that we had just for 6 years. Katie never got used to having Cocoa around and would simply ignore her. But the two couldn't be left together in a room or they'd destroy it. So, when inside at night, Cocoa had her own area downstairs and during the day spent most of the day outside, while Katie was inside. I will forever feel badly about not giving Cocoa the kind of life she should have had. This will sound crazy, and maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better, but sometimes when I look in Abie's eyes, I see Cocoa looking back. If Abie is Cocoa "reincarnated" in some weird way, then I'm finally making it up to her for not being everything I should have been -- because Abie has a great life.

TV theme songs - Only some of the Cannucks will know this, but a show I used to write, SEEING THINGS, had a great theme song.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 12:14:47 PM by Panni »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2004, 12:09:31 PM »

In the Theme from the Nanny, the rhyme is "Watch out Si-Si" & "Such joie de vie." DR Montrealers (and others): Should it not be "joie de vivre"? - in which case I have a problem with the lyric. Or can you get away with "vie"?

My favorite "la vie" lyric is in Cole Porter's "Mexican Hayride," and I think the song is: There Must Be Someone For Me": "Ahhhhh, la vie, la vie, la vie. You'd be dead without it."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2004, 12:13:04 PM »

Info on SEEING THINGS:

SEEING THINGS (TV Series)
(1981-1987)  * * * *  Louis DelGrande ("Louie Ciccone"), Martha Gibson ("Marge Sinclair"), Janet-Laine Green ("Heather Redfern"), with Frank Adamson ("Sgt. Ed Brown"), Ivan Beaulieu ("Jason"), Murray Westgate ("Max"), Cec Linder ("Spencer"), Louis Negin ("Marlon"), Al Bernardo, Lynne Gordon, Ratch Wallace ("Kenny"), John Fox ("Falstaff")..... Mystery/comedy about a middle-aged, klutzy, slightly obnoxious-but-appealing crime reporter (DelGrande) for the Toronto Gazette whose psychic visions helped him solve murders. There were also the running sub-plots of his on again/off again relationship with his ex-wife (well-played by his real-life missus, Gibson) and his mild infatuation with the assistant Crown Attorney (Green).
The hip and adult scripts coupled with DelGrande's brilliant performance (funny, yes, but he could also make the dramatic scenes work, too) and the fact that the mysteries were legitimate, made this off-beat, edgy and generally hilarious TV series an instant classic. A true gem. Created by DelGrande and David Barlow. The weird but memorable theme song was written by Phillip Schreibman and performed by Flivva. Best bets: almost any of them. Really. Won a number of Geminis. 43 hour-long episodes (including a two-parter and an hour-and-a-half one) on the CBC.

Danise

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2004, 12:13:27 PM »

Glad to hear your feeling better, Jane!  

I'm just vegging here at the house.  I'm watching one of my all time favorite movies, KnightRiders .  I know I'll cry at the end but I like it just the same.

Taaking about music, I love the score from this movie.  It took me forever to find a CD with some of the music from it as there was never (that I know of) a soundtrack done.  If anyone hears or knows of one, please let me know.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2004, 12:27:41 PM »

I will add the themes from "My Three Sons" and "Adventures In Paradise" to my list.
James Thurber 1957

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2004, 12:29:05 PM »

Another one, I always kinda liked the theme from Bewitched.  Just a catchy little tune that easily gets stuck in my head.  

I am currently hiding out in my bedroom at my parents house, waiting for my mother to get things cleaned up and ready to take a trip to Oregon for a day.  She simply cannot leave the house unless things are set to order.  I have learned to just get out of her way until she's done.  

Jed

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2004, 12:30:36 PM »

Any updates on "Children OF Eden" Jed?

We had auditions this past week, and have a cast put together.  We only had enough males audition to just fill the roles, so I'll be rewriting all the chorus music for a treble ensemble this week.  Rehearsals will start on the 17th, but then we don't open until the end of April!  Seems like a ridiculously long rehearsal time, but that does include spring break and various other little things in that time frame.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2004, 12:33:28 PM »

In the Theme from the Nanny, the rhyme is "Watch out Si-Si" & "Such joie de vie." DR Montrealers (and others): Should it not be "joie de vivre"? - in which case I have a problem with the lyric. Or can you get away with "vie"?

I did a quick Internet search on the lyrics of "The Nanny Named Fran" and came up with these lines:

Now the father finds her beguiling (watch out C.C.!).
And the kids are actually smiling (such joie de vivre!).

Every place that I found lyrics had it spelled "joie de vivre."  I don't know what Ann Hampton Callaway "officially" wrote...I've never seen published music for it, and her official website doesn't have the lyrics, either.

The other thing is that it's "C.C." not "Si Si."  Chastity Claire 'C.C.' Babcock was one of the characters on the show and she had her eye on Maxwell Sheffield before Fran came along and ruined everything.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2004, 12:34:07 PM »

Another one, I always kinda liked the theme from Bewitched.  Just a catchy little tune that easily gets stuck in my head.  

Thanks, Ann. So guess what's stuck in my head? Another one like that is the theme from Rhoda.

I like the theme from I Married Joan (and I like the TV show, too). Very clever, the way the doorbell chimes "I Married Joan."

Tomovoz

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2004, 12:36:50 PM »

Thanks for the update Jed. As Melbourne's new International Arts Festival organiser is from the NW, (Portland), you may of course be asked to tour OZ.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2004, 12:39:20 PM »

One of the best TV series theme music has to be "Mission Impossible."
But it's in 5/4 time, so while it has a beat, you can't dance to it!

Good vibes to Joe, Joe's Mom, and TD's Dad, and to those who love them.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2004, 12:40:08 PM »

and now I have the theme from The Nanny in my head :)

Jed

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2004, 12:41:51 PM »

TV themes...  
Although it was written for the movie, my favorite would have to be M*A*S*H
Also like Cheers, Quantum Leap, Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, The Odd Couple (another movie steal), and that opening bassline for Barney Miller.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2004, 12:41:53 PM »

Wow, DR George. You know your Nanny (Chastity Claire!). As for "vivre": The rhyme with C.C. just doesn't do it for me.

I love The Nanny. I have an acquaintance, Leslie, who's an umpteenth-generation Torontonian. She attended Lawrence Park Collegiate (as did Mrs. King of Kensington, which I know will give the picture to Panni at least). Anyway, Leslie once said to me: "I like the Nanny, but I can't watch it because Fran Drescher's voice drives me crazy." Duh?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 12:45:37 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2004, 12:55:34 PM »

The Dogs: We've lost, but have not forgotten, Peter Palmeri, Jocko and Geordie McFrickenfrack, and Walter Elias Warner.  Newton Kelsey is still with us after all these years, as are Martin Nuyer, Michael Augustus Snipps, and Bonnie and Buster Begonia.

We had a wonderful breakfast today: French Toast and sausages.  I even sprinkled the French Toast with powdered sugar!  Tonight we're ladsitting the grandlads, so of course what do they want to eat?  Breakfast for Dinner!  Yea!

I'm going to be on a sugar high for the next week or so!   :-\

And, as for TV Themes, how's about The Prisoner!  And here's one only DR Jose will appreciate: Good Eats.

(The theme from Golden Girls was originally a song written independently from the show, by "Lonely Boy" Andrew Gold.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2004, 01:11:09 PM »

TV Theme:  Greatest American Hero.  Love to belt that out at the top of my lungs when there's nobody around.

Language:  Still trying to learn French.

Trying to catch up, so that's it for now...

Oh, and Jason, I totally thought it was Oliver.  Which I'm waiting to hear from.  Well, not really waiting.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2004, 01:19:56 PM »

Dogs we've loved over the decades: Pooch (Afghan Hound; our friend's Afghan had a litter of 11 and we volunteered to try to find a home for one of them. We called him Pooch so we wouldn't get attached. Had him for 13 years). Truffles (Lab and ? She once peed in front of a guest we secretly did not like). Banjo (Samoyed and ? - she had Banjo eyes). Tiger (a sweet puppy (mutt) who was hit by a car; I still feel sad). And Vicky (a Cairn terrier who was the spitting image of Toto; she had a troubled past and we took her in. She adored Gordon, but I must have reminded her of Cruella DeVille).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2004, 01:36:11 PM »

BK: Today's notes made me realize how many either truly stupid there are out there, or how many people are incompetent.

Gee, Jennifer, that isn't a very nice thing to say about BK! :-X
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2004, 01:37:07 PM »

Wow, DR George. You know your Nanny (Chastity Claire!). As for "vivre": The rhyme with C.C. just doesn't do it for me.

Actually, I don't know my Nanny that well, but IMDb does!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2004, 01:57:11 PM »

(The theme from Golden Girls was originally a song written independently from the show, by "Lonely Boy" Andrew Gold.)

Speaking of...does anyone else have the Bernadette Peters live concert that was done for Canadian TV from 1980?  I have it on laserdisc (MCA DiscoVision!) and her opening number is "Thank You For Being a Friend" (the whole song).  This was before "Golden Girls."  A couple of years ago, some outfit (Unlimited Media) released it on DVD with a bonus CD of the concert, which is a great idea.  I bought it but there was one little problem and one big problem.  The one little problem is that they don't have an accurate song listing or even track numbers at all.  For instance, she does this big Harold Arlen medley and this is what is on the DVD jacket:

"Harold Arlen - MEDLEY * Blues In The Night * Let's Fall In Love * Between The Devil And * Deep Blue Sea * ...."

"Between The Devil And" is a song?  "Deep Blue Sea" is different song?  AND the laserdisc doesn't even list that on its tracklist (of course, now I have to check this out).  But like I said, this was the little problem.  The BIG problem was that they cut the opening number from the DVD!! :o They show the opening credits and then the concert just starts with her second song, "Wake Up and Live", which is definitely NOT an opening number.  At least I have the laserdisc...and a working player!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 01:59:34 PM by George »

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2004, 02:04:42 PM »

Hi from me! But I will have to be quick. Need to do some baking.

Went shopping today. There was a huge traffic jam the other way (on the 15 going to Carrefour Laval, for DRs Emily & Andrea).  So we decided to go back a different way. Only I'd never gone back the other way. I was with my mom (who has no sense of direction). And just for fun (or to be slightly mean) I told her (if she wanted) we go could the way she goes with my dad, only she would have to give me the directions.

It was so funny. Actually she did very well. Only one problem, when we got to one highway she couldn't decide between west and east :)  (but i chose for her).

I didn't buy anything. I hate going shopping and not buying anything :(

Oh and neighbor man, somehow got out of his driveway while I was out yesterday and put huge mounds of snow RIGHT BESIDE MY DRIVE-WAY AGAIN. I am beginning to really dislike neighbor man :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up