Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: IN THE ZONE  (Read 69237 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:IN THE ZONE
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 04:53:39 AM »

If I could do a dream revival of any musical....hmmmmm......I am assuming that means all of the MONEY I need and a wonderful group of people.....I think I would like to do:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......  this is difficult!

Pal Joey OR Lil Abner
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 04:55:19 AM »

Page Two NOT from my Pal Joey production dance.  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 04:58:48 AM »

Today is a work day oh well

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2008, 04:59:04 AM »

I am off to vote in our primary.....

singdaw

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2008, 04:59:31 AM »

Who's that, DR JRand57?  I only ask on behalf of DR TCB.   ;)

singdaw

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2008, 05:07:04 AM »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2008, 05:15:29 AM »

In fact, here would be my disaster cast for A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC:
Mme Armfeldt: Liza Minelli
Desiree: Christine Ebersole
Anne: Michael Jackson
Countess Charlotte:
Fredrik: Keanu Reeves
Henrik: Clay Aiken
Count Carl-Magnus: Jim Nabors
Petra: Britney Spears
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2008, 05:28:33 AM »

DR elmore3003, I assume you've heard the recording with Jim Nabors as Quixote and Marilyn Horne as Aldonza?   :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 05:30:54 AM »

DR elmore3003, I assume you've heard the recording with Jim Nabors as Quixote and Marilyn Horne as Aldonza?   :)

Who the hell ever thought Jim Nabors had a voice? Scary!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2008, 05:31:47 AM »

I think I owned that "La Mancha" recording for the length of the first Nabors track before I pitched it.

singdaw

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2008, 05:35:03 AM »

Oh, but he had a trained voice.  Trained, I tell you!    :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 05:37:52 AM »

Oh, but he had a trained voice.  Trained, I tell you!    :)

You left off the "s"; the dichotomy between that nasal speaking voice and that wobbly "see-I-sing-legit" baritone was something Greek tragedy could only aspire to: awesome and terrifying.

singdaw

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 05:39:57 AM »

Why am I suddenly thinking of strained peas?     ???     :)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2008, 06:09:44 AM »

I almost went to see JUNO until I found out it was not the film version of the Blitzstein musical.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2008, 06:14:01 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And since the callbacks I'm playing today start in 50 minutes, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2008, 06:14:56 AM »

I shall have to ponder the Topic of the Day whilst I teach various and sundried Disney-associated tunes to prospective "cast members".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2008, 06:15:53 AM »

OK... Time to catch the A Train downtown - with my usual transfer over to the C or the E at Times Square in order to avoid the "tunnel" at Penn Station.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2008, 06:28:15 AM »

Hello, everyone.

I am not a happy camper this morning. In addition to having the worst allergy problems I've had in several years, I've also been fighting a sore throat. Up to now I've been able to keep it under control--now I'm not so sure. Now I hate the pollen! I was doing fine until the pollen appeared.

End of rant.

Ben

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2008, 06:29:22 AM »

I felt much like Jose in my reaction to Glory Days. I went in wanting to like it but it's difficult to get through the first part (it's 90 minutes with no intermission). There is an especially (IMHO) vulgar and tasteless song about "getting girls" that just had me cringing. Hearing a song like that makes me feel like my parents or grandparents. So needlessly tasteless. I also think perhaps I didn't "get it". I don't say that often because many times I do "get it" I just don't like it (like the recent production of Company by faux director John Doyle) but maybe I'm too old for this one. The show has great energy and passion but it just says nothing to me. I'm not sure why I should care about 4 misfit guys who get together one year after their high school graduation only to find that life has changed and 2 (or 3) of the four have moved on with their lives. I was that same kind of misfit guy but the last think I wanted to do was see anyone from high school a year after I left. I haven't spoken to a single person from my high school class since 1981 when I was back in Minnesota for a vacation and I happened to see someone from my class. They are not bad people but I have nothing in common with them (even the ones I hung out with) and I can't imagine even getting together for coffee to reminisce. Color me bad  ;)

I don't want to discourage new talent and I recognize the effort put into the show but unless it gets the same kind of great reviews it got at Signature, I don't think it will be around for long.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2008, 06:39:59 AM »

Aww, Jeanne, I'm sorry to hear about your allergies. I hope you feel better!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

FJL

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2008, 06:41:37 AM »

Ben - I agree that clearly, GLORY DAYS - like any show that's not pre-sold - is dependent for financial success on the reviews, and by reviews, I mean the NY Times critic.

Because some people's negative feelings on the show and the writers' talents have been strong and powerful, I have argued with them, but my feelings about this production itself and its potential for Broadway success are not very strong at all - I do feel very strongly about the future of its composer, though.  Even if the reviews turn out negative, I firmly believe that he's better off having taken this opportunity to be on Broadway than had he said "no, thank you" to the producers, and that he will flourish.   Unless he gets totally demoralized and opts only to perform from now on, of course - but I think his talent is on display, and I can't imagine there not being a cast recording, where that talent will IMHO be even more abundantly clear.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2008, 06:45:33 AM »

I'm not sure how i forgot Don Diamont, Brad Carlton on the Young & The Restless!

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 06:47:31 AM »

Vibes for Sherlock. ~~~~~~~~~~~~

DR Jane, I thought i mentioned that i used antibiotic cream. I put some on right away with a band aid.

I have been putting the cream on every day. But it's not in a place where i can really comfortably keep a band aid. So i just keep the band aid on for an hour or so when i put on the cream.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2008, 06:51:20 AM »

DR Jose, re: hand cream.

Since i'm very sensitive to smell i'm also quite sensitive to hand cream.  But i do use it. But only once in the morning. And not even every day. And for some reason i cannot stand the feel on my palms, so i only use it on the other side of my hand.

And as for how my sis took out a chunk of my palm ... well we were playing that game where you each put your hand on top of the others. And then you take your hand from the bottom and quickly put it on top. My niece got excited and then my sis and i both tried to put our hands to the top of the pile. ANd her nail was so sharp. It must have hit the inside of my hand really hard.

She got a chunk. But the skin did not come off.

It doesn't look too bad right now. I mean it's all red. And you can see what happened. But it's not puffy and there is nothing coming out of it. And it mostly doesn't hurt.

Thanks for the info though!

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2008, 06:53:46 AM »

Apparently DANCING WITH THE STARS in on for 2 hours starting at 8pm (even though it's not written in my tv guide or tv).

And IDOL.

BEAUTY & THE GEEK.

HELL'S KITCHEN.

Ben

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2008, 07:03:59 AM »

Ben - I agree that clearly, GLORY DAYS - like any show that's not pre-sold - is dependent for financial success on the reviews, and by reviews, I mean the NY Times critic.

Because some people's negative feelings on the show and the writers' talents have been strong and powerful, I have argued with them, but my feelings about this production itself and its potential for Broadway success are not very strong at all - I do feel very strongly about the future of its composer, though.  Even if the reviews turn out negative, I firmly believe that he's better off having taken this opportunity to be on Broadway than had he said "no, thank you" to the producers, and that he will flourish.   Unless he gets totally demoralized and opts only to perform from now on, of course - but I think his talent is on display, and I can't imagine there not being a cast recording, where that talent will IMHO be even more abundantly clear.

Fred, I think you're right about the composer and his having taken a chance on moving the show. And I, too, see bigger things for him. He's clearly a new and, I hope, welcome voice in the New York musical scene.

I hope, if the reviews are not good that he's not demoralized. If Brantley has his way he'll poop all over but Isherwood may be more forgiving and supportive

Miss Karen

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2008, 07:16:14 AM »

Mornin' Boys!

Miss Karen

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2008, 07:19:35 AM »

DR SingSong ~ My thesis presentation Thirst and Parched are this Friday and Saturday. Actually, I shouldn't even be on here -- crunch week -- so way too much to do!  I've got to leave here soon to go get the sand (Thirst takes place on a raft in the ocean while Parched takes place in the middle of a desert).

Miss Karen

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2008, 07:22:39 AM »

Vibes to Sherlock of the Giant Paws ...

Miss Karen

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2008, 07:24:14 AM »

I'm been so E and T, here are some vibes to all that need 'em ...

and I'm off to do all that directing stuff ....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up