Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: IN THE ZONE  (Read 69231 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:IN THE ZONE
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2008, 01:05:22 PM »

Oh... And the Diamond Bakery

I have never been to the Diamond Bakery, only eaten their delicious Challah.  Now I want a loaf of their Challah!

Jose, I'm sure you know your way around L.A. better than I ever did.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »

OK... Well, since I have yet to start any laundry, cleaning or packing, well...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2008, 01:10:08 PM »

Oh... And the Diamond Bakery and that great falafel stand on Fairfax... :)

Good falafels?? Where exactly??

the New Yorker is telling the native (but E&T) Angeleno where to eat!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2008, 01:12:24 PM »

DR Jeanne - Is your sore throat related to your allergies (from the post-nasal drip)?  In any case...

~~~~~CLEAR HEAD AND THROAT VIBES TO YOU~~~~~

Thanks, Jose. I think there are two different things going on, but it's hard to say. I'm treating for both, which seems to work better than just treating for the pollen.

Jane

« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »

There is, or was, a rather good falafel place in Westwood.  We rarely go to the Fairfax area so I'm not familiar with the stand.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »

I've had a full afternoon of viewing. I began with last night's TWO AND A HALF MEN to see the CSI/crossover-writers' episode. Had a couple of funny moments to be sure. A couple of big belly laughs. George Eads looks particularly scrumptuous in HD in the party scene, but he basically walked through it and that was it for him. The interrogation scenes were the funniest parts. Conchata Ferrell was a scream.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2008, 01:14:17 PM »

There is, or was, a rather good falafel place in Westwood.  We rarely go to the Fairfax area so I'm not familiar with the stand.

On Westwood Blvd?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2008, 01:15:19 PM »

Thanks too to PENNYO for the good wishes!

Matt H.

« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2008, 01:15:29 PM »

Next, I watched CSI: MIAMI. The case was fairly routine, but it provided supporting actress Khandi Alexander a graceful exit from the show. Sorry to lose her. I'd much rather Eva La Rue had packed it in. The ending where she said silent good-byes to all of the regulars was very emotional.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2008, 01:17:10 PM »

...And I think I am just going to take the Metro into Los Feliz, mainly because I never realized that the Metro System went that far.  I also think that I'm going to challenge myself to do this vacation/visit "on the cheap".  I do have one or two possible splurge meals planned, but there are also a ton of meals I know I will enjoy out there for under $5.00.  As long as I get at least one In-N-Out Burger, and a French Dip from Philippe's (most likely Lamb, "double-dipped" with Bleu Cheese), I will be a very happy camper.

*And there's also a great little taco stand, Yuca's right near my friend's place that features Cochinita Pibil on the weekend - sooooo good.

**Oh, and he's also just blocks away from bk's beloved House of Pies, as well as the funky Fred 62!

There is an In and Out directly next to the Chance Theater, as chance would have it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2008, 01:18:07 PM »

Met with Jason and found his music.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: May 06, 2008, 01:18:38 PM »

Then I came home and had my conversation with muse Margaret and I can now enter the rest of the fixes that we agreed were doable.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: May 06, 2008, 01:18:56 PM »

Next, I watched STRANGE WILDERNESS. I thought HOT ROD was a pretty lame comedy that I watched in December, but this beats it hands down for pathetic attempts at comedy.

These studios! Adam Sandler puts his name on a project as an executive producer, and they green light it, obviously lacking a decent script. The poor actors are improvising like mad trying to find anything funny to say or do. And almost nothing works.

And FAMOUS actors like Ernest Borgnine, Robert Patrick, and Joe Don Baker lend their names to the project for what amount to cameos.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2008, 01:19:31 PM »

Then I conformed act one of the Brain script - most of it was changing stage direction to reflect what we actually do in the show - there was a lot of that, and some of the transitions are different - haven't really found many line things.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 01:19:46 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: May 06, 2008, 01:20:44 PM »

Then I packaged up three orders, which I'll now go ship.  And I'll get some luncheon, too - I'm feeling like a Togo's Pastrami, so I'll go get that.  Unless I feel like being adventurous and toddling over to Nate 'n' Al's.  

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: May 06, 2008, 01:22:01 PM »

Oh, Harry Hamlin's in it, too. He gets torn in half.

I watched all of the bonus features, too. There are three behind-the-scenes featurettes that show how the actors are just making up a lot of it as they go along. And 13 deleted scenes are there. Maybe the whole film should have been deleted.

I think I laughed twice during the whole movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: May 06, 2008, 01:23:37 PM »

When that was over, I began watching Shirley Temple, Alice Faye, and Robert Young in STOWAWAY. I only got about 40 minutes in. Shirley's about to sing one of her classics: "You've Got to S-M-I-L-E." I'll finish it when I go back downstairs.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #197 on: May 06, 2008, 01:24:04 PM »

I've had a full afternoon of viewing. I began with last night's TWO AND A HALF MEN to see the CSI/crossover-writers' episode. Had a couple of funny moments to be sure. A couple of big belly laughs. George Eads looks particularly scrumptuous in HD in the party scene, but he basically walked through it and that was it for him. The interrogation scenes were the funniest parts. Conchata Ferrell was a scream.

I watched this last night and thought it was funny.  Conchata Ferrell was hysterical!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2008, 01:25:58 PM »

SAFE AND EASY TRAVEL VIBES FOR DR JOSE!  

Jane

« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2008, 01:28:16 PM »

On Westwood Blvd?

I'll ask Keith if he remembers which street it is on-it has been a few years since we ate there.  It isn't a fancy place, we always sat at one of the outdoor tables.  If you walk around the heart of Westwood Village you will see it, if it is still there.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »

I don't think it's been mentioned, but Cartoonist Ted Key, creator of 'Hazel' comic, dies at 95.

And, according to the article:  Key also created the characters Mr. Peabody and Sherman for producer Jay Ward. The time-traveling dog/scientist and his boy made their TV debuts in 1959 in segments on the animated show "Rocky and His Friends."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »

Happy Vacation to DR Jose!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »

I have some writing to do, so let me get to it. I'll likely be back in just a bit.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2008, 02:16:24 PM »

OK... Well, since I have yet to start any laundry, cleaning or packing, well...

Laters...

DR Jose, it seems like you just came back to us from vacation! Of course, visiting family isn't always a vacation.  When are you back?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #204 on: May 06, 2008, 02:35:30 PM »

Thanks, Ron, but you mean I can't rant??  ;D

Of course you can.  But I'm hoping it will be about little irritants and that the big ones sort themselves out before you have to rant.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #205 on: May 06, 2008, 02:40:09 PM »

I always begin my vacations by wiping down the freezer!   ;)

And that is why you are so very special and unique to each of us here.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: May 06, 2008, 02:43:05 PM »

Good Late Afternoon!

Well, my laundry is in the dryers - I'm multi-tasking in a way.  I'm doing two small loads here at the apartment, and I went ahead and took care of a big load of darks up at the laundromat.  -I just didn't want to be dealing with laundry until midnight tonight here at the apartment.

I also did a bit of sniffing and snooping in the fridge and freezer, and found the culprits: two boxes - loosely closed - of pre-made food from Whole Foods that was dated three weeks ago; a container of Orange Juice that was "Best By March 18", and two semi-unidentifiable boxes of "health food" in the freezer that had "Use By" dates of February of last year!.  So... That was that.  Of course, to totally get the smell out of the fridge would require some actual cleaning, but since I went ahead and did the "ditch and dump", I'll leave it to the others to finish the rest of the job.  Which, I know very well, they won't - well, at least the one who was the "owner" of all the bad food.  -But I did leave a nice message on the fridge saying that if I had "accidentally" thrown out something that someone wanted to keep, just to tell me, and I will give them money for it.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2008, 02:44:30 PM »

[shadow=color,glow wdth,#characters wide][size=8] Belated Happy Birthday Greetings, DR George! [/size][/shadow][/glow]

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: May 06, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »

DR Jose, it seems like you just came back to us from vacation! Of course, visiting family isn't always a vacation.  When are you back?

I will coming back late next Wednesday night.  -A full week in La-La-Land!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »

I'll ask Keith if he remembers which street it is on-it has been a few years since we ate there.  It isn't a fancy place, we always sat at one of the outdoor tables.  If you walk around the heart of Westwood Village you will see it, if it is still there.

Perhaps Falafel King on Broxton?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up