Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BODICE RIPPER  (Read 54709 times)

FJL

Re:THE BODICE RIPPER
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2008, 07:52:06 AM »

And one for Kale

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2008, 07:52:32 AM »

Good lord!

That cake portion was ENORMOUS. It would feed a family of four!

(I wish I were there to have it for myself!)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2008, 07:53:07 AM »

(Is that Ka-lae as in the fine singer/actor Christopher Kale Jones, or kale as in rhyming with pail?)

FJL

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2008, 07:54:01 AM »

Why is my mind working so oddly this morning?  Why did I think of Christopher Kale Jones when I saw the word kale?  strange day, i guess.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2008, 07:55:21 AM »

Good morning!

Bright, breezy morning (I have the widow open in my office and am enjoying the fresh air) but promises to get to the mid 80s today. Already? Argh!

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2008, 07:55:50 AM »

I got a "too many connections" notification a couple of times this morning.

Very irritating.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2008, 07:55:57 AM »

And speaking of dessert...

Our waitress suggested the side of ice cream since the cake was "really rich".  However, the cake itself was actually on the light side - at least the cake part of it.  Additionally, the frosting was not globbed on in an inch-thick layer like a lot of places do lately, so it wasn't cloyingly sweet either.  However, it was still six layers of cake and frosting.  BK and Adriana made it through half a layer, and I made it through two layers.  The rest is currently sitting in the fridge here in it's custom box from the Claim Jumper.
What did I predict?  Huh?  What did I predict?

Told ya so!

;D

:-*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »

I have gobs of TV from the DVR to watch this afternoon (I know I won't get to all of it.)

Tonight I plan to watch NATIONAL TREASURE: BOOK OF SECRETS on Blu-ray and start on the bonuses, but the list of special features is extensive, and I know I won't get all of it watched today.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 07:58:06 AM by Matt H. »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2008, 07:59:55 AM »

And did you rest a bit?

A bench in Union Square station that city officials say are possibly infested with bed bugs.

I've just reminded der B that DR Jose is currently in Los Angeles, and therefor visiting a different Union Station.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2008, 08:00:16 AM »

With all of these review copies, it's lucky for me that I haven't been buying much lately so I don't have piles and piles of newly unwatched stuff sitting there. (Oh, there is PLENTY of unwatched stuff, but I have noticed the stack isn't GROWING, and that's a relief.)

With the TV season over in a couple of weeks, I'll enjoy having a reduced number of TV episodes to watch per week while catching up on DVDs, both review stuff and those bought for my own pleasure.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2008, 08:01:39 AM »

I've mentioned it before, but the best soup I ever had was a French onion soup at some restaurant in New York. It might have been Sam's. It may have been a restaurant on Restaurant Row. I can't remember now where it was, but I bought another bowl of it after I finished the first because it was so good.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2008, 08:01:47 AM »

Okay, they will REALLY RUE the day.
Unless they are Winnie the Poo fans, in which case they will ROO the day.

(A Kanga reference.)

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2008, 08:04:04 AM »

Amazon is having a 50% off sale on TV box sets, and I noticed that GHOST WHISPERER's two seasons were part of the sale. I had every intention of buying the first season set since I love the show and never saw the first season, but even at 57% off, the set was STILL over $30!

What on earth possesses its releasing company to list price this show at over $70? Even GREY'S ANATOMY doesn't list price for that amount!

FJL

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2008, 08:07:08 AM »

There's an interesting comment by someone on All That Chat about the importance or unimportance of spelling errors.  It's interesting that it's for people to whom spelling comes easily that spelling by others becomes so important. I'd take this a step further by saying it applies to other aspects of life as well:  For people to whom math comes easily, they seem to stress the importance of being able to do math well.  For composers to whom notating a piano accompaniment comes easily, well, they seem to pooh-pooh the skills of a composer who can come up with a good melody without being able to also notate an accompaniment.  Those are the examples I can think of now, I suspect there are others.

Here's the comment from All that Chat:

"Well, I don't think it's a matter of carelessness either, not really. There are people for whom spelling is important. Usually. spelling comes pretty easily for those people. There are other people for whom it just doesn't come easily. And for some of them, it's less important. If the idea is clear, that's enough..."

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 08:08:53 AM by FJL »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2008, 08:10:59 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers. Today I go to Fresno. It should be a very long day.
Yep, sounds like Fresno.

:-\

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2008, 08:40:48 AM »

Heading down now to check the mail and then start thinking about what's for lunch.

WBBL.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2008, 08:44:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: PARSIMONIOUS!
The Randy Vicar and the PARSIMONIOUS Parson - a tale of give and take, indeed!

Ginny

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2008, 08:52:11 AM »

Saturday morning (it's still morning, isn't it? greetings!  On the first day of my 3-day weekend, I managed to sleep in until almost 8am.  I made pecan-less waffles for breakfast - how could I let myself run out of pecans - and am looking forward to a day of puttering.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2008, 08:52:42 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Samantha!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2008, 08:53:21 AM »

And the word of the day is: PARSIMONIOUS!

And The Spng Of The Day Is: I HATE CHRISTMAS
                                               (From Scrooge-The Musical)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2008, 08:59:54 AM »

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR SAMANTHA

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2008, 09:00:30 AM »

My favorite soup to make is French Onion Soup, a la Julia (of course).

But this is May, this is spring!  Something springlike may be a better soup for today!

Yesterday, I came across this recipe for Zuppa di Zucca (Pureed Zucchini Soup with Fresh Thyme).  

Heat a saucepan.  Add 3/4 cup clarified butter and allow it to get hot.  Add 1 and 1/2 pounds zucchini (medium diced), 1/4 t red pepper flakes, and 2 T fresh thyme, chopped.  Saute the zucchini until it starts to brown.  Turn off the heat, stir in 1 T chopped garlic, and let stand for about 10 minutes.

Warm 3 cups chicken stock.  Put some of the zucchini mixture in a blender with enough of the stock to make the blender spin easily.  Pulse initially to allow some of the liquid to incorporate, then puree until the mixture has a smooth consistency.  Pour the contents of the blender into a new saucepan, and repeat until the entire mixture is smmothly blended and fully incorporated.

Reheat the soup over a low flame, stirring occasionally.  Season carefully with salt, tasting before and after seasoning.  Ladle the spoon into serving bowls, garnishing with grated Parmegiano-Reggiano, Romano, or Asiago cheese and a spring of the fresh thyme.

Serves six.

From Creating Chefs, by Carol W. Maybach, recipe by Chef Fritz Pasquet.

(Dang, now I'm getting hungry!)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 10:19:01 AM by S. Woody White »

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2008, 09:01:35 AM »

This morning I finished reading Marc Acito's How I Paid for College; my favorite line is:

"I feel the same way about Mass as I do about Gilbert and Sullivan:  it's a lot more fun to do than to watch." (p. 272)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2008, 09:02:39 AM »

The TV that I got has some presets.  I just used one of those that wasn't too bright.  My DVD for "The Incredibles" is somewhere in a box in my garage.  I don't know which one.  Someday, I'll unpack it.

SOMEDAY IN THE PARK(ING) WITH GEORGE.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2008, 09:08:58 AM »

This is an older request but can people add to this.

Songs from movies which lyrics were written after the themes became popular

Laura
Around the World in Eighty Days
Somewhere In Time
The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance
Out of Africa (The Music of Goodbye)
Love Story (Where Do I Begin?)
Doctor Zhivago (Somewhere My Love [Laura's Theme])
Gone With The Wind (My Own True Love)
The Godfather (Speak Softly Love [The Love Theme From The Godfather])
Romeo & Juliet (A Time For Us [The Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet])

With ROMEO & JULIET that is not entirely true.  The song was written for the film with lyrics, under the title WHAT IS A YOUTH?
New words were written and the song recorded by everyone and their brother under the new title, A TIME FOR US.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2008, 09:33:43 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I don't believe I shall be heading to Pasadena today... I'm really just not up for meeting 40-50 "cousins" whom I've never met before. :-\

*If my brother, Jay, was coming up today from San Diego, I would probably hop on the Gold Line this morning, but... Eh...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2008, 09:37:49 AM »

What did I predict?  Huh?  What did I predict?

Told ya so!

;D

:-*

Um, I believe you actually predicted that I would consume the whole piece of cake - while being timed.  However, I did not finish the slice of cake.  In fact, we did not finish the slice of cake.  -Nor the accompanying dish of ice cream.  In any case...

It's a good slice of cake, and perfect for sharing.  However, next time - if there is a next time - I'd like to try their Sticky Toffee Pudding.

*And we took your "prediction" as more of a "challenge".  At least it was a good challenge. ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2008, 09:39:05 AM »

My soup recipes are Chicken Rice and Tomato;For the CR open the can and add water, for the Tomato add 2% milk.Saltines for one and Ritz for the other.Actually I make a good stew, Beef, with carrots, celery, potatoes and onions- and chicken stew, the same receipt only substitute chicken for the beef.....The spelling comment was fascinating.One of my favorite authors, Flannery O'Connor, was a very poor speller(an 'innocent' speller was how she described it.) Her collection a letters, A HABIT OF BEING, is all the more enjoyable as the editors left in the misspellings. One mispelled word(tare for tear) actually made it into her First novel; The proofreader simply thought she was being profound....Yesterday I purchased a ticket for the last performance of CURTAINS in NYC(I'm using my rebate to boost our economy)I've never been to a closing per before, tho I did get to the next to last show Of Dolly with Ginger Rogers and Carleton Carpenter. I saw CURTAINS last spring,so  I know I'll enjoy it again; Now all I need is good luck at the SP cancellation line; I'm already petitioning St Jude(sorry for the long post)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2008, 09:40:20 AM »

In other news...

I'm really not sure what I'm going to do today.  I may hop on the bus up to Griffith Park and brave the crowds, or I may hop on the Red Line to Hollywood and Vine and brave the crowds there.  However, there's also a Taiwanese Culture and Food Festival going on downtown at the Pueblo Monument across the street from Union Station...  Lots of options.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »

DR brian - It still seems that LCT is releasing the unclaimed house seats for the week on Sunday night after 6:00 and/or Monday in the late afternoon.  I mentioned a few weeks ago that a friend of mine was able to get a Front Row, Center Mezz seat that way.  It was for a Tuesday night performance, but he only purchased it two days before on Sunday.  -And I've checked a few times since then, and the "pattern" seems to be continuing.  *There was a fifth row center orchestra seat available for last Thursday night's performance when I checked last Monday.  Just sayin'.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up