Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE  (Read 26219 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE
« Reply #210 on: February 11, 2004, 09:37:35 PM »

Adding my thoughts to Woody's, LauraII.  I couldn't put it better than he did.  Just remember.  Remember everything.  It will grow in value.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #211 on: February 11, 2004, 09:37:59 PM »

I bought Cuvée Dom Perignon 1995 (normally $130-$180 a bottle!) at Costco for only $99.  No, it ain't cheap, even from Costco.
I deservedly stand corrected.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #212 on: February 11, 2004, 09:38:02 PM »

Sorry, galley stuff.  Anyway, I just took the boys out into the studio and I said, "Just start messing around"  They messed around for about ten minutes to no avail and I think I said, "Do something lazy".  And Chris started playing it kind of laid back and bluesy and that was it.  We worked on the form for about ten minutes, got the layout, recorded the basic track in one take, and did a bit of finessing and that was that - magic!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2004, 09:48:57 PM »

No - It's OLIVER & COMPANY - It was the Bette Midler cat and the Cheech Marin cat.
Cheech Marin was a male dog. Bette Midler was a b...uh, female dog.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #214 on: February 11, 2004, 09:49:56 PM »

Thanks, BK.  That was worth waiting a few mos for.  The result was splendid.

Btb (by the bye in Internet Lingo) I just listened to Lea's version and I much prefer Brent's--though I think Lea's album is terrif (Oh, a Comden and Green reference).  But she riffs around and jazzes "All That Jazz" [sic] up a lot more.  Brent's is more of a consistent musical point of view, reinterpretation.

But what do I know?  Who am I, Maury Yeston, Professor of Music at Yale, all of a sudden?  It's late. But, as Stephen Schwartz put it,  teachers belong where they can rample.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 09:52:28 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2004, 10:01:07 PM »

Tomovoz (and Butch) - Apologies for the insulting "stuffed."

Panni

« Reply #216 on: February 11, 2004, 10:03:39 PM »

I just looked at the clock. How did it get to be 10? What happened to the last two hours?? Last time I checked it was around 8. I swear I've only been drinking Diet Cherry Coke - but I've lost two hours. It's the peanut DT's, I think. Tomorrow I must go out and buy more peanuts,

Tomovoz

« Reply #217 on: February 11, 2004, 10:03:58 PM »

On behalf of the family "Thank you" Panni. (Hugs from Butch)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #218 on: February 11, 2004, 10:06:31 PM »

"Butch" is second from the left and he arrived here WITH his name.

Never fear, Tomovoz, none of us believed, for a second, that you gave him that name!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2004, 10:07:13 PM »

Perhaps it's shell shock Panni.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2004, 10:10:13 PM »

G R _ _ N .
[/color]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2004, 10:10:22 PM »

I missed the first run of Good Eats tonight, because we were eating good at the Blue Moon (very yum!) and got home too late.

But the rerun is on now.  Pardon me while I enjoy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2004, 10:11:05 PM »

Thank you TCB. You know me so well. (A "Chess" reference - almost).
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2004, 10:11:50 PM »

Grain?
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2004, 10:15:29 PM »

Shell shock. Very good. On that note (b-flat) I'll say good-night, all.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2004, 10:28:27 PM »

I'm in a commercial break.

Now, about Marion Cunningham, and what she has to do with Fanny Farmer.  Fanny Farmer wrote a very important cookbook, way back when.  Well before The Joy of Cooking.  Quite some time later, Marion Cunningham, the food writer, rewrote The Fanny Farmer Cookbook.  It has since become a staple in many kitchens.

Smart lady, Marion Cunningham.  Except, she should have done something to make sure people knew who she was; Fanny Farmer got way too much credit for Marion's work.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2004, 10:32:03 PM »

G R _ _ N .
[/color]
Green?  No, that's a color-blind clue.

Laura II

« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2004, 10:34:30 PM »

Uncle Woody and WFO: Thank you very much for your thoughts and for stressing the importance of gathering stories. It is very important to me that I learn as much as I can about whatever she wants to tell me. Over Thanksgiving, she told stories, and it made me so happy to watch a grin creep over her face as she relived those moments. I will certainly spend more time with her this weekend. We never know how long we have with another person, and I've noticed that I've started to sit and chat for awhile with other family members, no matter what their age or health. Last week, I spent about an hour or two talking with my grandpa about some concerns I have because I never want to regret losing time with a person. My next goal is to become closer with my father and his parents. I really want to have a strong relationship with all of my family members, and both of you truly helped me see that this is a good choice on my part. Thank you. You truly touched my heart. :)
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2004, 10:45:57 PM »

...And to all a Bonne Nuit!
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2004, 10:48:35 PM »

Panni, yes, I get asked to cut all the time and then they keep making those suggestions for shit that just adds and adds.  It's very frustrating and schizophrenic.  But conflicting notes are de rigeur.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2004, 10:54:36 PM »

... we were eating good at the Blue Moon (very yum!) and got home too late...
All right.  We weren't really planning on dining out, just going out for a drink while der Brucer recounted the day's grandladsitting.  We ended up at the Blue Moon, perhaps the top restaurant in Rehoboth Beach, only planning on cocktails.  But along the way der Brucer picked up a menu, and he began to smile as his eyes got wider and happier.

We stayed for dinner.

He started with a soup.  Yeah, right, a soup.  What's so great about soup, right?  This was a truffled butternut squash bisque, with herbed goat cheese.  I had a taste, and it was magnificent.  The bisque was full of butternut squash flavor, with just the right spicing to lift it.  The only thing wrong was the presentation, because it needed a little something on top to make it something different than a sea of deep orange, something like a few droplets of chive oil.

It was the only dish that was flawed in any way all evening.

My appetizer was a confit of buffalo osso bucco, served in a puff pastry shell, with fried leeks as a garnish.  We've had confits before that were heavy on the salt, but this was wonderfully meaty and not salty at all.  The textures of the puff pastry and fried leeks complimented the confit quite well.  And the buffalo flavor was very nice, stronger than beef but less fatty.

For my entree, I had a breast of duck in an apricot sauce, with wasabi mashed potatoes and sugar snap peas.  Absoulutely delicious, and I'm not normally an apricot fan, but this worked very well.  Der Brucer had a rack of lamb in a panko crust, with hericots verts and roasted garlic mashed taters.  He happily knawed on the bones.

And it was very pricy, but well worth the cost.  We were very happy with our meals.

What amazes me is how many fine restaurants are here in Rehoboth Beach.  We've had better dining experiences here than we regularly would have in Long Beach, or in the greater Los Angeles area.  And we've travelled a bit, sampling some of the best of cities around the United States.  Something tells me I'd better find work fast, because our appetites are far exceeding our budget!  That, and my own cooking is up to an interesting challenge, to be up to the area standard.

And I've got a lot of venison in the freezer downstairs, along with duck and other good vittles!  This is going to be a lot of fun!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #231 on: February 11, 2004, 11:12:43 PM »

Well, if today is not proof that we are the jiggiest site on all the Internet then I don't know what is.  You are all very special people, and I am proud to have such Hainsies/Kimlets here at haineshisway.com.

Panni

« Reply #232 on: February 11, 2004, 11:19:04 PM »

I'm back. Was doing bills and other boring stuff and lost another hour.
SWW - I'm SO hungry now -- and it's all your fault.

The TV is on in the BG - they're talking about the toxic danger at Beverly Hills High. I have a friend who's had thyroid cancer for years; his sister died of leukemia in her twenties -- and guess where they went to high school.

Panni

« Reply #233 on: February 11, 2004, 11:23:05 PM »

You are all very special people, and I am proud to have such Hainsies/Kimlets here at haineshisway.com.
I agree totally with the sentiment. And of course it must mean that you no longer think I'm insane, dear proud bk, as I am one of the special people on this here site. Correct?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: February 11, 2004, 11:24:30 PM »

It is possible to be insane and special at the same time.  Why don't you go get us some peanuts you big wazoo?

Jed

« Reply #235 on: February 11, 2004, 11:24:48 PM »

Oh, there are plenty of insane special people, Panni!  Just look around this place some days! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

« Reply #236 on: February 11, 2004, 11:25:07 PM »

A sane g'night to you all. And this time I mean it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2004, 11:27:44 PM »

Damn them, damn them all to hell.  Did you see how she just ignored the part about the peanuts?

Panni

« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2004, 11:28:26 PM »

Okay, having read that last two posts... An INsane good night to you all. and this time I really REALLY mean it. (Why is it "in"-sane. Shouldn't it be OUTsane. You're out of sanity. You are no longer in the area of sanity. Thus you are outsane. Makes perfect sense. G'night.

Laura II

« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2004, 11:29:40 PM »

I have pictures! Yay! I may post some later.

I agree that we are a special group. You all mean a lot to me!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up