Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE  (Read 25967 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2004, 08:02:25 AM »

I posted a message at BK and Nick's DVD PLACE about this, but I want to bring it up here for those of us who do buy DVDs.

It was announced at the first of the week that Fox will be releasing MASTER & COMMANDER on a 2 disc DVD set priced at $39.95. I think this may be the first mainstream DVD sell through release at this inflated price point. (Criterion sells their discs for more, but they're specialized and of limited print runs.) Fox is selling a single disc pan and scan version of the film for $29.95.

During the laserdisc era, Fox was notorious about overcharging for their wares: $50 for a single disc release and $70 for movies that spread to two discs. Are they starting this same stuff up again on DVD? Just wondering what others thought about this.
I think I'll wait until it's offered in a bargain bin.  And then I'll let der Brucer pay for it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2004, 08:06:21 AM »

Fine choices there, MR BK!

Have you seen Grant Williams as Tchaikovsky on the Sleeping Beauty DVD extra?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2004, 08:07:41 AM »

Uh, oh. Finding Nemo isn't a Disney film is it. Well, I had better change my favorites list above then.

Hmmm...post 1960s Disney favorite...the only one that I have seen is that Robin Hood one in the 1970s. So unless THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER was a Disney film I guess Robin Hood would have to be my pick.
The Brave Little Toaster and it's sequels were produced by Hyperion Films, but released on video by Disney.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2004, 08:09:48 AM »

The Brave Little Toaster and it's sequels were produced by Hyperion Films, but released on video by Disney.

Then if it counts as a Disney film I will choose THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER as my favorite post 1960s Disney film.

Kerry

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2004, 08:16:12 AM »

I like that song DRSWW...but there is of course the ever popular 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall.

OY!!!!!!!
I like boat races.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2004, 08:17:39 AM »

DRs Kerry and TomovOz....watch the mail! You have stuff a comin'

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2004, 08:20:47 AM »

I am miffed, DRs, really miffed.  Do you know that the all-knowing all-seeing horoscope in today's Oregonian had the unmitigated gall to tell me:  "Don't let obsessive behaviors get the upper hand!"  As if I were obsessed about anything!  Can you imagine??  (Speaking of horoscopes, has anyone else noticed how the press syndicate horoscopes, notably Sydney Omarr, have a grand total of perhaps 8 phrases that they parse among the signs?).

And, as a suitably neat segue, my Ask BK question is:  What's your favorite Mimsy Farmer film?

Since BK has annexed Mimsy and JR and I have dibs on some other person, obsessions about Farmers are now limited to Frank (FF's nephew with quite a string of credits of his own--includling lifting Liz Taylor up on the bar in "Butterfield 6" or "8" or whatever the heck it's called) and the Farmer in the Dell, with, perhaps tangentially, Ma and Pa Kettle (they were farmers, weren't they?).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2004, 08:21:01 AM »

Haven't watched the Sleeping Beauty extras yet.  Who has time for all these extras, which is the point of a Nick column over at http://dvds.allaccessworld.com - The DVD Place.  And there's all sorts of new topics on the message board if you want to have some fun.  And if you haven't, tell all your film-loving friends about The DVD Place - we want to make that as fun a film-specific community as this.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2004, 08:21:42 AM »

Also speaking of Second Star on the Right, there's some interesting history of that tune on the new 2 DVD Alice in Wonderland (it was originally written for that film).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2004, 08:44:02 AM »

Apropos of DRPennyO's selection - I particularly like the "Drinking Song" from  The Pleasant Peasant by Lucy Friml and Ethel Romberg!

In fact I like ALL those songs!  ;D

Ethel Romberg?  Wasn't she executed in the 50s for being a spy?

George -- Liberry was spelled wrong?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2004, 08:47:05 AM »

No TCB that was Ethel Roszensweig who used to have that talk show, too...remember?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2004, 08:50:42 AM »

Speaking of Ms Allison Hayes - since Mr BK was - who died in 1977 and left her estate to her mother, who died 8 months later - I checked the link that DR JANE gave us a couple of weeks ago.

Mother Charlotte is due $110.00 from a matured Conseco Life Insurance Policy.

Allison herself has $118.50 from Bullock's, she obviously returned a frock and took a credit, $239.93 from the Auto Club of Southern California, $38.78 from Bank of America, $25.34 from Great Western Savings, AND a whopping $5280.93 from a matured Prudential Life Insurance Policy.  All money that will soon belong to Governor Arnold.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 08:51:08 AM by JRand53 »

Ben

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2004, 08:55:46 AM »

For those fans of Barbara Cook Playbill On-Line has news bout Flahooley

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/84332.html

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2004, 08:56:56 AM »

Good morning. The one thing which hasn't been mentioned (or that I haven't noticed) in the posts about the excellently excellent TRIPLETS OF B. is that it is not computer animation. Old-fashioned hand-drawn! I loved it. In fact, after seeing it last night I was dreaming about it all night long - wonderful crazy dreams like Bruno's. (Bruno is a great fat old dog for those of you who haven't yet seenTRIPLETS.)
BTW - Unless you have a fabulous home entertainment set-up like some lucky people who shall remain nameless, you really should see TRIPLETS in a theater.

Panni

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2004, 08:59:05 AM »

No TCB that was Ethel Roszensweig who used to have that talk show, too...remember?

Obviously you've both been drinking. Ethel Mertz was married to Fred on I Love Lucy. And they certainly weren't spies. You've got some 'splainin to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2004, 09:01:13 AM »

Ah ha! DRPANNI - so you were fooled by their undercover disguises as well!  LOL...they were actually subversives working in the employ of an unnamed world power.  Subtle.....

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2004, 09:03:23 AM »

I have a question for all DRs.  I sometimes tape the talk show THE VIEW.  Yesterday they had a guy on talking about germs.  It was so interesting.

I was just wondering how many DRs are obsessed with germs.

I use Purrell A LOT. But some of the things this guy was saying made me think "how can i do that?"

He was talking about things like ATMs and how we should use a pen or our sleeve (or have a little purrell in our bag).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2004, 09:03:45 AM »

James Franciscus has $50 in wages from Warner Bros Entertainment unclaimed.

MATTH did you watch your movie?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2004, 09:08:10 AM »

Actually, Belleville is a combination of hand-drawn and CGI animation.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2004, 09:11:02 AM »

I think I knew her sister Roszensweig.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2004, 09:13:04 AM »

Yea, that's her, a friend of Wendy Wasserstein's and that other girl Heidi Chronicles.

Panni

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2004, 09:19:26 AM »

Ah ha! DRPANNI - so you were fooled by their undercover disguises as well!  LOL...they were actually subversives working in the employ of an unnamed world power.  Subtle.....
Thank you, JRand53. Gives a whole new meaning to so many of the episodes!
My late grandmother - of whom I was not overly fond (a terrible thing to admit, but true) - left Hungary and lived with us for a short time in Toronto. She then decided she was not overly fond of us either and moved to Switzerland. Anyway, the point of this is that she did not speak one word of English, and being close to 80 at the time, was not about to learn. Her favorite TV show was I LOVE LUCY. She would watch it each day and would relate the plot to me when I came home from school. The thing is that the "plot" was the plot as she, not understanding a word, interpreted it. -- Which very often was a hilariously surreal version of what the episode was actually about.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2004, 09:21:02 AM »

Jennifer, I cannot see why Scooter Girl would not return, they invested far too much time on her in the prelim episodes not to bring her back.  What I can't understand is why she was dropped in the first place, she delivered each time they asked her and was so heads and shoulders above most of the present finalists.  And she was damned entertaining.  The only thing to worry about is whether her apparent incipient bi-polarness will implode on her...

Two favourite peripheral drinking songs...not drinking songs persay, but drinking and bars is prominently feature in the songs...BALLAD OF THE SAD YOUNG MEN & THE END OF A LOVE AFFAIR...

Panni

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2004, 09:21:08 AM »

Actually, Belleville is a combination of hand-drawn and CGI animation.
I stand corrected. Now I'll sit down.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2004, 09:21:55 AM »

Speaking of Fred and Ethel Mertz (I wasn't, Panni was), I believe William Frawley and Vivian Vance deserve special lifetime acting awards.  It is amazing that they managed to convince the American public that, deep-down, Fred and Ethel truly loved each other, when, in reality, Bill and Viv actually hated each other and never spoke.

Which brings up a Ask BK question (and Ask DR question):  Have you ever acted with another actor who you were supposed to be very fond of, but who you actually couldn't stand?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2004, 09:24:10 AM »

I thought Lucille Ball was a world power.
“One thing’s universal,

Panni

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2004, 09:27:57 AM »

The American Idol talent (finalists, that is) this year so far seems far better than previous years. That Phantasia woman was REALLY good - slightly bizarre, but really exciting. Hope she doesn't "fix" her lips.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2004, 09:29:25 AM »

Yes, when I first did my show Together Again, my leading lady was someone I just could not abide, even though she was very good in the show.  She was on some diet that made her not pleasant to kiss in the show and she was, at the time, suffused with the Bogwan Rahjneez or whoever he was and it was very annoying.  When we moved the show, I recast her with Penny Peyser and it was much better.  Again, the original gal was good in the show, but man was it hard to play opposite her.  

I forgot to answer what role I would like to have created in a musical.  Certainly it would have been fun to create Finch in How to Succeed, but Mr. Morse was so interesting and weird no one could have done it as well, I don't think.  

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2004, 09:31:45 AM »

LOL, JRand53. If only those people were here to collect!

I have lost that link. What was it again?

Panni

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2004, 09:39:16 AM »

Enough of this levity. Back to the mines for moi. Will check in later for fun and games.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 09:39:52 AM by Panni »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up