Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IN SEARCH OF NUTMEATS  (Read 23647 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
IN SEARCH OF NUTMEATS
« on: February 13, 2004, 12:02:51 AM »

Well, you've read the all-important notes, so you know the all-important things contained therein, hence you know the all-important things you must post.  Hence, to it, I say.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 12:18:47 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:IN SEARCH OF NUTMEATS
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 12:40:56 AM »

DVD: "Triplets Of Belville" about to be followed by the new "Peter Pan".
CDs: "Triplets of Belville", and because I have been compiling tracks for others - various CDs by Roy Orbison, Elvis Presley & Tom Jones.
VCR. 2003's "Royal Command Performance" from Edinborough (Ednaborough according to star Dame Edna). Not a particularly good show unless you really are thrilled at an Osmonds reunion!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 04:34:56 AM »

BK, I understand your DSL concerns.  When I connected by DVD player to my tv, I ended up calling Panasonic customer service three times!.  On the last call, I happened to mention that my television was a Panasonic, that I'd had it for over ten years, loved it, and the customer service rep found the booklet for my television model and told me what was going wrong with my "viewing pleasure."  I always loved terms like that.  So, don't be afraid to bug DSL.

I mentioned that I loved the Encores! production of CAN-CAN, especially Patti Lupone, Charlotte D'Amboise (she's fantastic; we worked together on TONIGHT AT 8:30 for Williamstown), and Reg Rogers, but I forgot to mention how great some of the dances by Melinda Roy were.  I thought the Apache number was far too tame and cautious, but the Quadrille, Garden of Eden, and final Can-Can were wonderful, as was Lonny Price's direction.  I always thought the book sucked, but I think I was wrong:  I laughed myself silly! or sillier.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 04:46:57 AM »

Ah DREmily - the new hairstyle is Faboo!  Go for it!  ;D

I only know CANCAN from the movie, which I liked musically - but I thought could have used MORE dancing....and a bit LESS Shirley.

MR BK - I myself alone installed my DSL...my problem I discovered when I called Comcast Service was that I was using Netscape and NOT Explorer.  Once that was settled, everything went well.  Just follow the instructions, and you should be in Fat City in just awhile.

In my DVD Player - Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde 1931 version....and it could have used the Berlin song from the notes, which I loved, BTW!

VCR - Saint Joan w/ Jean Seberg!  Up next Jeanne Eagels!

CD -  Babalu Music -Musical Moments from I Love Lucy!

Hopefully we will be able to work on and launch the NEW website for our summer theatre group - THIS WEEKEND....that is the plan....

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 05:10:12 AM »

Don't know yet what I'll be listening to at work today. This weekend, the long weekend of February for those of us with workaday jobs, we will be on the Isle of Long. We will watch the episodes of Sex and The City which I haven't seen since the long weekend of January (Ant's folks have HBO On Demand) and we will watch last night's episode of Two's Company.

I don't have DSL or high-speed cable. I would consider DSL but I have to find a provider who doesn't give you MSN. I would prefer not to have Microsoft. I know other DRs have Time Warner Cable as their high speed providers and report no problems and good service, but my experience with TWCNY (Time Warner Cable of New York City) is fraught with difficulty, mistrust and bad, bad experiences. My deep and abiding dislike of this monolithic, multinational embarrassament of a company precludes me from giving them any more money than I already give them each month. The idea that I would actually allow those (explitives) to have access to my computer makes me laugh hysterically. Therefore, when I make the move to high speed, I will do it through my phone line unless we move and get a new cable company (highly unlikely). OK, end of rant. Thanks for listening (or not) or skipping past if you were bored or didn't want to read it.

Back later with listening pleasures for the day.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 05:11:04 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 05:19:12 AM »

BTW (by the way) loved the Irving Berlin Jekyll & Hyde lyrics.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 05:38:02 AM »

I'm going to push my usual BBC connections. I'm listening to BBC Radio 2. They have a two-part documentary on Burt Bacharach. Part One (one hour) played Tuesday, February 10. It will be available on the site until February 17 when Part Two will be available (for one week through February 24). Here is the link to Part One. If you're a fan of BB, I think you'll enjoy it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2music/documentaries/burtbacharach.shtml
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 05:38:42 AM by Ben »

Kerry

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 06:08:51 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO KIM NOVAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to send her cards and drawings when I was a kid.  Maybe I should again.

Right now in the car, I'm playing a cd Of Mark Fuller's cabaret act and taking a Moonlight Swim with Tony Perkins (thanks to Tomovoz).  (This was the the time in his career when I was mad about Tony Perkins)

Last night, in my VCR, I was preparing to watch Surfside 6 (courtesy of MBarnum) but my VCR wouldn't let go of the tape that was in it, so i didn't want to take the chance of wrecking Surfside 6.   Will watch it this weekend though.  

Tomorrow DRs Sandra and Laura and I are driving to Palm Springs to see Jason Graae and Liz Callaway.  I finally get to see two of my favorites--- together in one place!!!!!!  AND i'm missing one of the busiest retail days of the year.  Not bad.  I have a feeling we'll be listening to JEEPERS CREEPERS and everything Jason Graae has ever done.

I go back to work on Sunday.   No three day weekends (let alone 4 day weekends for me).  My Wed and Thurs weekend was nice though.

In the DVD, we finished the first season of SOAP and aready to finish out the 4th season of the SOPRANOS.   Big difference between the two.  We got "Under the Tuscan Sun" yesterday, so maybe tonight I'll watch all the gorgeous scenery and gorgeous men and even the gorgeous Diane Lane.

JAY, got any suggestions for Palm Springs?  We'll have some time (if not hours) to spare.  You want to meet for lunch?
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 06:10:48 AM »

And Ben, where did  you get all your Weight Watchers info?   Surely YOU didn't go there-- as thin as you are.   And yes I know, quit callling you Shirley!
I like boat races.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 06:19:56 AM »

JRand --- the movie of CAN CAN and the play (which I see tomorrow) are quite different.  The film drops many songs and adds a bunch of other Cole Porter numbers.  The main plot is substantially changed and the sub-plot  (with the Verdon character) is missing.

BK - Why didn't you use the J&H song on your wonderful "Unsung Irving Berlin" CD?

Last night I saw a reading of a new musical based on the life of Oscar Levant.  Since it's not really right to make too many comments on a reading I'll simply say that it was a great choice of subject matter that at this point doesn't do justice to the subject

CD - 2 from RHINO: DuBARRY WAS A LADY (with selections from MEET THE PEOPLE) and 3 LITTLE WORDS (with selections from YOLANDA AND THE THIEF).

DVD - the 2-sided Jeckyl & Hyde with the March version, the Tracy version and the Bugs Bunny version.  March does his mostly with make-up changes while Tracy does his mostry with acting (let's forget about Bugs).  March's is better directed by Mamoulian.  Tracy's female leads are in the wrong roles: Ingrid Bergman as the whore and Lana Turner as the lady would both be better in each other's roles.  What is interesting is that although there are different screenwriters credited, with a few variations the outlines are almost scene-for-scene the same and even some of the dialogue is similar.  But did you ever think you would see the day when Warner Bros. would be releasing a DVD with an MGM film and a Paramount film on it?

VHS - Nothing at the moment
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2004, 06:24:25 AM »

DR WEL - the studio names on the J/H disk were remarkable to me as well.  All these years later - the money still flows!  I prefer the March version....Miriam Hopkins is so wonderful!

DR KERRY - don't forget to stop by the lovely bronze Lucille Ball sitting on a park bench welcoming you to Palm Springs!!!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 06:24:46 AM »

CD Player:  Sharon McNight (no K), "The Sophie Tucker Songbook".  Sharon is appearing at the Tilles Center out here on Long Island (thank you, Donna) tonight at 8 and 10.  The web site says she's sold out, but I am going to try to wrangle a ticket.

Upstairs VCR:  The Hugh Jackman Oklahoma!  It is so long.   Did someone here say they added scenes from Green Grow the Lilacs?  There are a lot of comedy bits I don't remember.  But I loved the "Oklahoma Hello".  I taped it off PBS (pledge week, of course), and it is fun listening to all the British actors speaking with their real voices after the Oklahoma dialect.

Jackman and others are really excellent for my money.  And I must say, this is the first time I've been moved by the title song since we had it force-fed to us in elementary school in Tulsa.

Downstairs VCR:  A couple of shlocky alien-invasion movies I taped from SciFi for Joe to vegetate in front of when he returns home.

I'm seeing Joe at 1:00 this afternoon and will care a big bag of vibes I've collected from this site over the last fiew days.  Thanks, guys.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2004, 06:57:21 AM »

MattH:   feel better!

WFO:  Glad you get to see Joe.   Give him a virtual hug for me.   One for you too.

Jack:  I'll try to find the Lucy.  It is a bust or a statue?

Off the stretch these old bones and then get ready for work.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2004, 07:27:20 AM »

Shirley MacLaine said on her interview with Robert Osborne that Sinatra asked her which of the two roles in CAN-CAN she wanted - Lilo's or Verdon's. Shirley said she wanted both of them, so in the re-written version, she plays Pistache and does the dances that would have gone to Verdon's character. I have never liked the movie of CAN-CAN. The title dance is fine, but none of the other dancing is interesting, and I think the whole thing is miscast.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2004, 07:30:48 AM »

Thanks, DR Kerry. I feel well enough now to proceed with plans to go see CHAPTER TWO tonight and have dinner out with friends. Hope the improvement doesn't go downhill as the day progresses. As one who is almost never sick, it's very upsetting when one gets a bug, even a small one.

Media check:

CD - BARBRA STREISAND AND OTHER MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

VCR - YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE (thanks to the ever-generous DR JRand)

laserdisc - IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER

DVD - FRIENDS - Season 6

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 07:32:09 AM »

I am also about halfway through the novel WICKED. It is fascinating reading, and I am greatly enjoying it.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2004, 07:46:53 AM »

Media check:

My poor office area is desperate for a makeover. I'm busily moving papers and will do as much as I can for the duration of the Darling of the Day CD.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2004, 07:56:48 AM »

WFO - Yes... they added a few scenes from "Green Grow..." to the English OKLAHOMA! which added nothing to the show but running time.  Also one thing that surprised me was that they had Curley/Jackman smoking during "Surrey" and one other scene, something I'd never seen before in any production.

And I'm glad and surprised that Sharon McKnight is selling out her Sophie Tucker show on Long Island.  When she did it about two years ago at the York in Manhattan it did not sell and at one point they had to give tickets away.  It's a lot of fun, although I prefer McKnight as McKnight.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2004, 08:01:15 AM »

DR KERRY at the corner of North Palm Canyon and Tahquitz Canyon Way....Lucy sits, cast in bronze on a park bench....in front of Leed's Jewelers....you can pose with her for a picture!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 08:44:17 AM by JRand53 »

Emily

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2004, 08:07:44 AM »

Bad news.

The big new hairstyle turned out to be very very similar to the hair cut I have been getting for the last 12 years.

Okay - not the end of the world.  It's all the styling anyway.  

The only problem is that I can not for the life of me get one side of my hair to flip as it is supposed to.  One side is perfect - a wonderful obedient flip came almost immediately after starting the big procedure.

The other side is evil.  I am now trying rollers which keep falling out because, to quote my mother, I have bizarre hair.  

Bizarre doesn't even BEGIN to describe this.  :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2004, 08:15:45 AM »

Before I read last night's late-night posts... Before I read today's BK's Notes... Before I read today's morning posts...

I have to apologize to DR MBarnum for not recording The Last Wagon as I promised him I would.

The timer was set.

The VCR was set to the right channel.

The TV was set to the right channel.

A new blank tape was put in the VCR.

I double-checked everything before I headed to bed.

And I even heard the VCR humming this morning when I woke up around 8:00 this morning.

But when I went to check the tape later, all that came up on the tape was a blank, blue screen.   ???

I fast-forwarded, I rewinded... but still, only a blank, blue screen.  ???

So, I'll check to see if THE LAST WAGON ever comes up on Cinemax and/or HBO and/or some other cable channel, and I'll try again.

In the meantime, I'm soooo sorry, DR MBarnum.  I hope this does not put a damper on your extended weekend. Well, at least you get a long weekend!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2004, 08:30:56 AM »

First, before I forget BK (as I did the last time you posted some of them), I loved your SS / ALW lyrics, as well as Mr. Berlin’s Jekyll and Hyde.  I can’t wait to read more of them.  Having seen the recent Broadway musical of J/H, I think I would have preferred seeing Mr. Berlin’s version.  Come to think of it, I think I would have preferred the Bugs Bunny version.  Still, I did find Mr. Robert Cuccioli to be a powerful stage presence.

This weekend is going to be DVD catch-up (or catsup or ketchup) time.  All those DVDs that have been stacked on my DVD player each week, only to be buried by new additions to my collection, are finally going to see the light of day or the day for night (a Truffaut reference).  Among the stack:

CHICAGO
THE OTHERS
ROSE RED
U-571
X-MEN II
TWO WEEKS NOTICE (it is never going to get played)

On my CD player at home is DR Ann’s recital CD, which I am very anxious to hear.

Finally, Where in tarnation is everybody???  The holiday weekend doesn't start until the end of the workday today.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2004, 08:37:17 AM »

Good morning. Funny lyrics, bk.
No one has mentioned that it's FRIDAY THE 13TH!!
Don't walk under any black cats, Dear Readers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2004, 08:45:07 AM »

Enjoy the movies, DR MATT!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2004, 08:51:05 AM »

I agree that the Bergman and Turner roles should have been switched in the Tracy Jekyll & Hyde--nice to see someone else say that!

Here's the stupid question of the day--is DSL the same as cable?  I'm wondering if I would save money installing cable for internet, as we have a second phone line just for the computer.

In my DVD player:  Sunday in the Park With George.  I'm sorry people, I have an intellectual appreciation for this piece, but it just does NOT move me in any way, shape or form.  I keep watching it hoping my opinion will change, but, sadly, it doesn't.  I humbly apologize.

In my CD player:  a lovely CD of medieval French music.  I love early music, especially first thing in the morning, when it is truly "early."

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2004, 08:53:12 AM »

Good Morning!

-I'm soooo sorry, DR MBarnum.

Well, I've read last night's late night posts, and today's BK's Notes, and this morning's posts so far...

Love the Berlin J&K lyrics!

DR WFO - My best to you, and my best to Joe.

Media check:  Surprisingly nothing yet this week in any of my players.  -I've been listening to a lot of NPR this week, and enjoying watching some of the prime time TV offerings in their first run for a change!

Oh, wait, I do have a tape in my VCR - but, unfortunately, all it plays is a blank, blue screen.

-I'm sooo sorrry, DR MBarnum.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2004, 08:56:02 AM »

DR JMK - DSL is a direct subscriber line used with a cable modem.  And I did find that the cost was very comparable to the computer-only phone line that I had for dial up and is MUCH faster.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2004, 09:02:30 AM »

Well, apparently I won't have DSL today.  It was supposed to be today, but it got bumped to the 17th for reasons which no one at SBC or DSL can tell me.  Ridiculous.  So, I guess I'll have DSL on Tuesday.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2004, 09:05:09 AM »

DR JMK - DSL is not the same as having a cable modem.  DSL runs with/thru/besides your existing phone line.  With the proper set up, you can have an "always on" internet connection, and still be able to use your phone line at the same time.  Some providers even have "internet call waiting" - a screen will pop up on your screen alerting you to a call.  You can either choose to forward the call to voice mail, answer it, or ignore it altogether.  Since you are currently using a second phone line, it may be worth your while to see if you can consolidate back to one phone line that covers your phone and internet service.

-Oh, DSL is fast, but cable modems tend to be a lot faster.  However, depending upon how much and what kind of stuff you download, the speed issue may not be much of an issue.

And, on a plus side - since DSL is not hooked up to a larger public network like cable is, DSL is less prone to hackers and hacking.  At least that's what I've read.  ??? And DSL is definitely a lot cheaper than cable.

And no need to apologize for Sunday In The Park With George - even though I happen to be very moved by the piece.  But I will admit that the tape/DVD of the Broadway production can seem a bit flat at times.  Have you seen the show live?

Oh, have I mentioned that I'm sooo sorry, DR MBarnum?
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2004, 09:08:36 AM »

So much to comment on!

George wrote, yesterday
Sometimes I wonder if people write songs for shows write songs, not just to try and be pop-u-lar (a Wicked reference), but with the idea that it might be a good audition song and it can become much more popular with theater performers, who in turn will record the songs, sing the songs in cabaret performances, etc.

There's a song in the musical I'm writing now, A Song That Shows Range, that is being done in auditions.  Which makes sense, since it's an audition in the show.  But I'm not sure the audition in the show really needs to be seen, so it may get cut.

Musical theatre writers (if they're good) write for the character, situation and plot and don't think about how the songs might be used outside of the show.  The show's the thing.

Last night's cabaret went extremely well.  I always love it when an audience that's hearing musical comedy material for the first time does what the authors hoped and laughs uproariously.  After School Special, Pretty Young Men, Bluer Than You, Miss Byrd, The Boy From..., The Girl in 14G and Glitter and Be Gay all delivered the yoks.  It was a grueling day, as I was given no opportunity to leave the piano bench from 11:20 to 6 p.m., but then got an hour-long dinner break before playing the show.

Which brings us to the media check.  Hardest to play of all was the particuarly ridiculous arrangement of Shall We Dance from Crazy For You.  I don't know who did the dance arrangement but this person and choreographer Susan Stroman saw some need to jazz up George Gershwin.  So this thing keeps changing tempos without mercy.  I had two fine violinists playing behind me who brilliantly went with the flow.  If you can call it a flow.

So one of the CDs is the Crazy For You cast album, and it's wholly unlistenable.  It's not just the voices, it's the misconception of almost every number.  George and Ira wrote the title tune as K-ra-zy For You.  The entire point of the song is that love has made the character lose their grip on language, and so a simple word like crazy is stretched into three syllables.  Except it's never done that way in this musical called Crazy For You, so the whole bridge about "love may not inspire my lingo" makes no earthly sense.

On the brighter side of the CD player is the delightful Prime Time Musicals - one of BK's favorites that he's done, and I can see why.  Some very good songs there, wonderfully rendered, and an entire genre (the musical written for television) finally gets notice.  I'm very glad to have this.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up