Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IN SEARCH OF NUTMEATS  (Read 23697 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:IN SEARCH OF NUTMEATS
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2004, 12:06:09 PM »

Bruce we wish we could get DSL here.  :( You should be very happy with it. :)

DVD: “American Splendor”
TIVO: The Westminster Dog Show
CD: Perry Como

Tomovoz

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2004, 12:07:00 PM »

SITPWG: Rarely play the CD, quite like the DVD but have loved the show staged. The first Act is "cold" (I assume it is meant to be) but in the second Act there is "more life in his art". Would I have been so moved by the scenes on the "return" of the characters to the island had I not felt something before? Probably not. BTW, I love "Passion" too. I prefer both to ITW which is "clever" but to me not involving. "Assassins" is the show I most want to see again.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2004, 12:08:10 PM »

Someone should tell them that this ISN'T the answer to everything.

It's like that exercise they gave in a playwrighting course when everyone had to write a play that had a mattress, a bottle of ketchup, and a Bible in it.   >:(

Oh!  You mean it's been done before?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2004, 12:10:09 PM »

BTW (by the way) loved the Irving Berlin Jekyll & Hyde lyrics.

Sorry, I fogot to mention the same thing.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2004, 12:11:59 PM »

Not to worry Jose, I would think the movie will be repeated! But thank you very much for trying!  :D

Media check:

DVD: Gale Storm and Mantan Moreland in a 1942 poverty row piece of fluff called FRECKLES COMES HOME. Gale is particurly cute and quite young! She even sings a song with Johnny Downs.

Also watching THE COMPLETE WEIRD CARTOONS which is a collection of vintage cartoons, some of which are very weird! A couple of the Disney Alice live action/cartoons from the early 20s, some Betty Boop, Little Black Sambo, and some stop motion animation shorts from the early 1930 that are quite odd, but well done and imaginative. A very interesting DVD which I recommend.

CD: A couple of current versions of Babes In Toyland courtesy of our newest DR Larry Moore. And of course various Bollywood soundtracks courtesy of my Visa card! LOL!

Ben

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2004, 12:12:27 PM »

JR, enjoy the CDs. I like both of them very much. As long as you keep them in their envelopes with their books you should be able to tell which one is which without playing each one  ;)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2004, 12:17:07 PM »

"Pardon me, Roy, is that the cat that chewed your new shoes?"

"Knick-knacks, Patty Black, give the frog a loan."

Panni, if you have speakers on your computer and have REAL PLAYER installed, you should be able to listen to internet radio.  Do you listen to the radio show here on Haineshisway.com?  If so, I'm sure you're able to listen to most internet shows.  If so, go to BBC Radio 4's homepage...and you will see all the shows available for listening (They usually has a big button to click on that says "Listen").  

Clement Freud has been a staple of many raconteur type shows.  I remember him on Jack Parr's shows.  JUST A MINUTE is a panel show (usually filled with British wits likes of Paul Merton, Freud, Graham Norton, Stephen Fry, Sandy Tovskig, others) where you have to speak on a topic for a minute without hesitation, deviation, or repetition.  Very fast and funny.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 01:02:08 PM by Charles Pogue »

Tomovoz

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2004, 12:17:26 PM »

After my post above I attempted to write fascinating information about the wonders of DSL. When I attempted to "post" I discovered I had "logged out". Very odd as I had not logged on for the first post or logged off! I shall return to bed to ponder the situation. (Leave it alone TCB)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2004, 12:17:38 PM »

Oh DR BEN - I am a Virgo, they will be kept in their individual envelopes in alphabetical order like all my others.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2004, 12:20:42 PM »

DR Jane (or anyone else who has seen it): How is American Splendor?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2004, 12:20:44 PM »

Some monk chanted evening.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2004, 12:24:12 PM »

No one has mentioned that it's FRIDAY THE 13TH!!

That explains my day so far!    ;D

Ben

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2004, 12:24:55 PM »

I'm not a Virgo, but I do that very same thing, ignoring the laughs and taunts of my less organized friends. 8)

Love the Roy Rogers joke. Never heard the Give the Frog a Loan joke. I'll have to look for it.

Graham Norton and Stephen Fry are wonderful. While in England I finally got to see GN on the telly. Boy, the things they get away with on English TV. The whole Janet Jackson brouhaha wouldn't have happened over there.

Ben

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2004, 12:28:09 PM »

I just found the Give the Frog a Loan joke. Groan. Oops (spoo), I take it back. I can't do that here :-)

Jane

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2004, 12:32:52 PM »

"Mom is on the roof and we can't get her down."

LOL.  Keith & I have often used that line.  I don't know the banana one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2004, 12:33:24 PM »

Pogue: Being in the throes is much better than being in the throws.

Just got my new galley online, and it looks like they made all the last set of corrections correctly and a quick glance seems like this might just be the one I'll finally be able to approve.  I'll do my usual page by page as soon as I return from an errand.  Digits crossed.

Emily

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2004, 12:33:43 PM »

Jennifer, AMERICAN SPLENDOUR is very very interesting.  And entertaining.

I love the way the real characters merge with the actors throughout the movie.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2004, 12:39:55 PM »

No need to apologize about not getting SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE. I'm sure Sondheim and Lapine knew the piece wouldn't be for everyone. I think it's a beautiful, exceptionally moving exploration on the nature and etheral quality of art, but guess what? There are LOTS of popular works of film, theater, literature, and art that I don't get.

That's life. That's art. That's entertainment!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2004, 12:39:56 PM »

Jane, the joke involves an unattractive child. Here is the quick and dirty version courtesy of JR from page 2 of today's posts:

"Woman with a baby gets on a train....sits next to a man....man keeps telling her that her baby is ugly...woman calls conductor....complains...conductor offers her a better seat....and then tells her....."

"Maybe we can find a banana for your monkey"

Jane

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2004, 12:41:17 PM »

WFO I hope you had a nice visit with Joe.  It must be difficult.  How is he?

Emily, can you return to the hairstylist for instructions?  I currently have a hairstyle I’m very happy with, when I have it done.  It never comes out the same when I do it.  It is only the first day, you may still get the knack of styling it.  

Oh yes, I remember the banana one now.

Jennifer, at first I didn’t care for American Splendor but slowly became engrossed in this quirky movie.  

Bruce, digits are crossed.-hope this is it. :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2004, 12:41:26 PM »

Does anyone have any exciting and romantic plans for Valentine's Day tomorrow?

Personally, I thought I would cook myself a nice romantic candle-lit dinner, and then see if I can get lucky.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2004, 12:55:50 PM »

We watched the new version of "Peter Pan" last night. Most enjoyable and amazing how much you can do without spending the $ that Spielberg did with his "take" on the story. Quibble: Peter has an American accent which is at odds with the other voices in the cast. Maybe they can do a remake of Huck Finn and give him a Scouse accent to even it up.
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2004, 12:57:07 PM »

TCB-LOL :D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2004, 01:00:07 PM »

We watched the new version of "Peter Pan" last night. Most enjoyable and amazing how much you can do without spending the $ that Spielberg did with his "take" on the story. Quibble: Peter has an American accent which is at odds with the other voices in the cast. Maybe they can do a remake of Huck Finn and give him a Scouse accent to even it up.

An American accent?  Actually, I think I would prefer that Peter have no accent at all, so that he would be more of an every-boy.  I would much prefer that over Cathy Rigby's British accent which I found to be distracting.
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2004, 01:02:09 PM »

Mmmmm...just returned from the Donut place with a couple of chocolate frosted cake donuts and a huge cup of coffee! Life is good!

Ok, I have a confession to make...I am a closet smoker! Yes, you heard it here first! I am a closet smoker! I used to be a pack a day smoker from age 18 ( I still remember well my first cigarrette. Picked up a pack of Bel Airs on my way home from work in Ashland. Smoked the whole pack that night at my dad and stepmoms house). Well I quite smoking about 6 years ago at age 34, but two years ago I started smoking again. It was a stressful time as I had just purchased my first house and my father had passed away. Over  the last two years I have snuck cigarettes every now and then...couldn't help myself. Now it is out of hand and I must stop totally! I love a cigarette now and then but it is a terrible habit and it tends to make me feel just awful the next day. So after I finish the couple of cigs that I have stashed away I am done for good, hopefully. I have tried to stop quite a few times over the last year or so but always break down and have one or two or three! Yikes! No one knows but you DRs! My family would be quite angry if they found out  and even some of my friends have no idea! So there you. My confession. I feel much better now, and knowing that HHW is a non-smoking sight (or so it seems) it might help to clear my conscience. So this weekend I will try to cleans my body of the terrible toxins! Wish me luck! I will try to not be too grumpy!

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2004, 01:04:27 PM »

I have no Valentine's day plans as far as I know. George from the coast is my potential future Valentine but we aren't at that point yet. So if I get lucky, it will be on my own!  8)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2004, 01:06:44 PM »

Jrand 53 - I must watch my temper. I hope it's only a flesh wound.

FS Pogue - Yes, that's the radio program. I'm going to print out your instructions and see what I've got when I get through this draft.

Funny, TCB.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2004, 01:06:58 PM »

For Valentine's Day it's a double feature with a dinner in between.

Ms. Patti LuPone in Encores!'s CAN CAN is in the afternoon (complete with the discussion group after which is usually as interesting as the show).  Then in the evening it's off to Film Forum to see "Umbrellas of Cherbourg".  As much as I love that film on DVD, it's one of those movies that's even better in a theatre surrounded by half an audience crying as much as I am and half an audience in hysterics.

I'll never forget years ago I had a friend with a model railroad.  He got a gas station for his set up that was very similar to the one in UOC, and one time when I came over he put on the soundtrack while he slowly dropped powdered sugar on the gas station to emulate the film's climax.  Unfortunately he couldn't get Ms. Denuve to come over in her mink.

By the way, while typing the above I began to wonder where to put the 's on a plural word that ends in !.  Should it be Encores!'s, Encore!'s, Encores!' or what?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2004, 01:07:11 PM »

If I have never said how much I appreciate the "modify" feature here at HHW, let me do so now.  I really appreciate the "modify" feature here at HHW.  It's so nice to be able to go back and correct all my dsylexic, synapse-misfiring, sloppy typing.  I just took Clement Freud out of the "stable" of raconteur type shows...and made him a "staple" of them.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2004, 01:07:42 PM »

We are in the beginning stage of planning stage our trip to Eastern Europe in June.  Keith’s aunt just sent us brochures from her trip to Prague and it is obvious we won’t have has much time there as we would like.  As it is we won’t be going to Romania.  Our son will meet us along our travels, possibly in Budapest.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up