Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IN SEARCH OF NUTMEATS  (Read 23833 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:IN SEARCH OF NUTMEATS
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2004, 01:12:09 PM »

MBarnum good luck!  Feel free to vent here when you get edgy-just kick the habit.  Oh, I won’t tell Alan next time I see him.  ;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2004, 01:21:40 PM »

Good luck and strong vibes for quitting, DR MBarnum. It IS a filthy habit (sorry but it does turn my stomach just thinking about it or being around it, and BOTH my parents were smokers), and you'll feel so much better once you've stopped.

But I know how hard quitting is going to be. One of my dearest friends has tried to stop several times, and after putting 20 or so pounds on, always goes back to it. He hasn't stopped yet.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Robin

« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2004, 01:31:48 PM »

DR Jane (or anyone else who has seen it): How is American Splendor?

It's probably my favorite movie of 2003.

No, I lied.  

It IS my favorite movie of 2003.  It inspired me to read his comic books; and without any hesitation, I can say that Harvey Pekar is a national treasure.  And probably a genius.  

Which brings me to the weekly media check:

In the deeveedee player: American Splendor and Perfect Blue.  I'm not really into the annie-may thing, but there are a number of them that are quite good.  Like Perfect Blue.

In the ceedee player: The Triplets of Belleville by Mr. Ben Charest, Fantastic Voyage by one of my favorite film composers, Mr. Leonard Rosenman, and The Robe by Alfred Newman.  (Surprisingly, Varese Sarabande has sold out this title...I say surprisingly, since the score has already been released on CD twice previously, so I didn't think there was an audience willing to buy it yet again.  Or maybe I shouldn't be so surprised, since this is the third time I bought it.)  

As to what the Significant Other and I are doing this Valentine's Day...road trip to Betty's Pies!!!  It's a little restaurant north of Duluth, Minnesota on the shores of Lake Superior.  And who would have guessed from the name, but she has the most delicious pies on the face of the earth.  It's worth the three-hour drive...six hours round trip!...just for her wonderful, wonderful confections...!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

MBarnum

« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2004, 01:37:01 PM »

Oh, Jane you will have such a wonderful trip! I am envious! What sights you will see and what foods you will eat!

Thank you Jane and Matth for the kicking the habit support! I actually had not trouble quitting last time. And yes I will feel better. It really has played havoc with my working out at the gym. One can simply not have a lung full of cig smoke and work out, at least not at my age! And I really need to get back to working out on a regular basis. I once had a pretty nice build, if I do say so myself, and now it is getting that middle age spread...and it is spreading fast!

Yesterday I spent a good two hours cleaning up my computer work area and came across this cute pic of my mom and dad. This might be a wedding picture (second marriage for both). Aren't they sweet! Of course it was a shot gun wedding, but oh well!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2004, 01:38:50 PM »

DR MBarnum – I think it takes a great deal of courage to make such a confession to all of your friends here.  After all, PCs do not yet possess the sense of smell, so you could have easily just gone about your business without any of us ever knowing about your habit.  The fact that you told us, not only says that you trust us, but that you have a true desire to quit and are seeking our support during a very difficult period of withdrawal.

Personally, I smoked over two packs of cigarettes a day for over twenty-five years, so I understand the cravings associated with smoking, both physical and mental.  The worst thing you can do is to convince yourself that you are just going to have one (either puff or cigarette).  There is no such thing as just one.  When you say quit, you have to mean it.  I quit nine years ago this week, and no matter how many times I have wanted to break down and have just one, I have resisted the urge.  They say that nicotine cravings only last a total of thirty to forty-five seconds at a time before they dissipate.  If you can get through that one minute of craving, then it makes you a little bit stronger, so that you can move on to the next one.  For me, quitting smoking was harder than getting sober.  Not the initial quitting, but the staying away from the cigarettes.  I used the patch (the three-stage kind) and it was the only thing that I think would have ever gotten me through it.

Just remember, that we are all here for you.  Vent, scream, cuss, but don’t smoke.  All the best to you, Michael, and if you need something to help take your mind off your cravings, just let me know and I will be happy to drive down there!  :-*
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 01:47:51 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2004, 01:41:29 PM »

And here I am in the parking lot of our hotel in Anaheim during my September trip to L.A. I keep meaning to post photos of it, but always forget. Found this during my clean-up yesterday too. I think we were just about to head up to the Oaks of Sherman for our lunch with Laurie and Diana and the E&T BK.

Jed

« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2004, 01:44:23 PM »

The punch line to CPs post reminds me of the punch line to another shaggy dog story (how did long convoluted stories get that name anyway). Not as funny as Shelly, but it pops into mind anyway.

"If the foo sh*ts, wear it."

Haha!  Been awhile since I heard that one, which happens to be my very own mother's favorite joke! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

MBarnum

« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2004, 01:47:04 PM »

Thank you TCB for you support. I try to ignore the cravings but I seem to have very little self control anymore! LOL!

But I am quite sure this time it will work. I used the patches last time also and they really do work well! I will be using them again this time.

Well, I must go and finish watching my DVD of Kabli Khan with the lovely dancing of Helen and the sword and sandal antics of Ajit and Samson (why do so many Indian actors have only one name???).

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2004, 01:57:07 PM »

Hello All!

Firstly, I wanted to thank Noel Katz for the wonderful phone interview we did this morning -- it will be airing this Sunday

Secondly, I wanted to pass on the news (from one of my best sources) that Never Gonna Dance will probably be getting a cast recording afterall.  Not sure of the label yet, but apparently, the producers are putting up the money to record the show in the hopes that it will spur future productions (much like the Amour situation last year).  It's possible that they may not record until after the show closes.  I'll keep you all posted as I learn more details.

Thirdly, the Broadway Radio Show for next weekend will focus on the new CD of Sherry! as I interview one of the original Broadway cast members, who, I am sure. will give us lots of dishy backstage stories.

Donald
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »

Hmmm... So no plans for Valentine's Day,  DR MBarnum... Well, I think I have an e-fare special to Portland I could take advantage of this weekend... Or is there a closer aiport to fly into? ;)

-It's the least I could do for the VCR snafu! ;)

Btw, nice pic!

And since it's "confession" time, I might as well confess that I haven't started my "diet" yet.  However, the amount of junk I've been consuming has declined over the past few days, but I'm just not "feeling it" yet.  The last time I started a program, I literally woke up one morning, and something in my head said, "This is the day!".  And it was.  I just haven't woke up with that feeling yet.  But my fridge and cupboard are slowly being overtaken with "good foods", so maybe once the "bad foods" are gone...

-Sorry, DR Danise.  It's not even a matter of not trying... or even failing at this point... Like I said, I'm just not feeling it right now.

But I am very proud of your progress so far!  Onward and upward! -Well, downward on the scales and measuring tape!

Oh, and, btw, I'm soooo sorry, DR MBarnum!

-And did I mention, Nice Pic, Michael!

:)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 02:12:34 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2004, 02:14:22 PM »

MBarnum - Best wishes in this mission of yours!  Now if I could just get my non-TCB father to do the same... but, after 40 years of smoking, I'm none too optimistic there.

I just discovered JUST A MINUTE on BBCRadio 4 earlier this week.  Quite fun.

Media check...
DVD - empty
VCR - Clue
CDs - Shenandoah OBC, AFTHOTWTTForum... in Jazz, Floyd Collins, A Little Night Music, The First Nudie Musical DVD's bonus CD

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2004, 02:18:58 PM »

Does anyone have any idea what has happened to DR Jason?  I don't believe I have seen him here in a couple of weeks.  Is he out of town?  Sick?  Upset?  Just too damn busy to care?
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2004, 02:25:39 PM »

DR MBarnum (again) - That's a great pic of your mom and dad.  Now we know where your good looks come from.  -Shot gun wedding?  Did I miss something?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2004, 02:27:46 PM »

Does anyone have any idea what has happened to DR Jason?  I don't believe I have seen him here in a couple of weeks.  Is he out of town?  Sick?  Upset?  Just too damn busy to care?

Well, DR Jason is just too damn busy period right now.  He cares.  He's just too damn busy.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2004, 02:29:45 PM »

There isn't much in the playing mode right now.  We're still sorting out everything that's arrived, and there's a lot of things that haven't arrived.  

However, we've now set up der Brucer's computer in his study, and my computer in my room.  This has cleared a lot of space on the counter dividing the kitchen and the dining room.

Buster has decided it's fun to poke his head out from underneath my bed and grin at me.

Now, along with deciding which sets of plates really belong in the kitchen (and which can be stored downstairs), I've got to decide how to set up my bookcase shelves, and what books belong in my room (and which don't).

And we've got to head downtown, to get tix for the Valentine's Bingo Party that's being held as a fundraiser for several local groups tomorrow night.

I'll be catching up on everything later.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2004, 02:37:05 PM »

Good luck, MBarnum! I think it's great you "confessed". Now you are no longer alone in trying to quit, but have a whole community of terrific people to support you.

FS Pogue - Yes, the Modify feature is a great one. Although I rather like the image of Clement Freud in a stable. No room at the inn.

Jane

« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2004, 02:37:46 PM »

Oh, Jane you will have such a wonderful trip! I am envious! What sights you will see and what foods you will eat!

Have you been there?  What wonderful (vegetarian) foods will I eat?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2004, 02:39:51 PM »

Jane - Good luck with trying to be a vegetarian in Hungary. Even the carrots are made out of pork.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2004, 02:44:38 PM »

Jane - Good luck with trying to be a vegetarian in Hungary. Even the carrots are made out of pork.

Oh my God, Panni, you are too funny!
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2004, 02:47:13 PM »

DR Jane. I think Prague would have to be close to my favourite city in the world. We had four days there in 2001. I could have happily spent far more time.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2004, 02:47:35 PM »

TCB congratulations on your nine year anniversary.    :)

JoseSPiano, you had been consuming an incredible amount of sugar.  I need to reduce my sugar & chocolate intake slowly before going on a diet to prevent headaches.  It sounds as if you are almost ready to join Danise.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2004, 02:49:30 PM »

Oh my God, Panni, you are too funny!

Not if you are the vegetarian receiving the message!! ;D ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2004, 02:58:27 PM »

Oh DR Jane: That sounds like an exciting trip.

I asked about American Splendor because I saw it in this month's brochure for new releases. And I couldn't remember hearing about it when it came out.

Jed

« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2004, 03:02:56 PM »

I hope that Jason's busy schedule is due to good things happening for him!

Panni - Thank you for my HHW gutbuster laugh of the day. :D

Jane

« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2004, 03:03:42 PM »

Jennifer there wasn't much hype about the movie here.  My brother told me to see it.  :) In fact I'm not sure if it made it to Ashland, but then I wasn't around much when it was out.

Jed

« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2004, 03:07:55 PM »

"I left my harp in Sam Clam's disco."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2004, 03:08:03 PM »

DR MBarnum,  as a total slouch with no discipline, let me spead a bit of gossip about the iron will of BK, my intrepid record producer and raconteur:  when I first met Bruce, he was a bit out of shape but still thinner than I, and during the several years of our recording projects, our Bruce did a fantastick job dieting, jogging, and becoming addicted to diet Coke.  I don't know how much weight he lost, but his self-discipline and svelte figure should have been an example to me.  However, time is short and some of us are just looking for one more Dunkin' Donuts stop on the turnpike of life.  I wish you well in your effort to quit smoking.  It's not easy, and I hope your self-discipline is better than mine.

French actresses, I've noticed, have often used one name as their stage name, and the three I can think of right off the bat are Rejane, Rachel, and Musidora, the Irma Vep of the 1915 LES VAMPIRES.  Perhaps your Bollywood actors are fans of French theatre?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2004, 03:10:41 PM »

Oh my gosh MBarnum: You are so handsome! Great pic!  Good luck with quitting smoking. I agree, it must have taken a lot for you to tell us.  I don't like smoking. For some reason smoke really affects me in a bad way.

I hope everyone has a great Valentine's Day. I'd love to hear about everyone's plans or their favorite gifts (that they've given or received).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2004, 03:12:28 PM »

Good vibes to MBARNUM on his quest.....

Nice pictures past and present, MB!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2004, 03:22:25 PM »

Looks like The Last Wagon is on the Cinemax Action Channel on February 27 at 4 am EST!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up