Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: KEEP ON KEEPING ON  (Read 33212 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:KEEP ON KEEPING ON
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2004, 10:45:42 AM »

Happy birthday to all who are birthday-ing!

Now, may I VENT, please? When will otherwise intelligent people learn that "Jewish" is not a nationality? I'm just reading a major article/review in the LA Times of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF. The point of the whole thing is that the writer feels that Fiddler has lost whatever true Jewish soul it had and is now just too "universal." Here is the sentence which made me throw down the paper and come to HHW: "Given the immersion of Jews in American culture, it should come as no surprise that the new-look Tevye doesn't have to be played by a Jewish actor (Molina's background is Spanish-Italian), as if Tevye is now a universal paradigm of every persecuted, over-laboured working stiff and not some artifact of vanished European Jewry."
Okay, there's lots to argue with here - but I just want to say, "Excuse me, but is it not possible that one could be a SPANISH Jew or an ITALIAN Jew?" I don't know what Mr. Molina's religion - if any - is. But this writer undeniably gives the impression that being Italian and Spanish, he can't possibly be Jewish.  I wish I had a dollar for every time someone has said to me, "You're Hungarian? I thought you were Jewish." I used to know a couple of guys from India who were Jewish - one was a ballet dancer - a male Indian Jewish ballet dancer - try that on for size. Anyway, enough. (God! I just checked the name of the writer of the article. It's "Rosenbaum." So what's HIS excuse?)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2004, 10:59:03 AM »

I've noticed only one fellow DR on-line; so I thought I'd propose a tongue-in-cheek topic:

"Favorite Hungarian Quilters"

Well, guess what, meet RALPH:

“RALPH - Ralph traveled to Hungary and made lots of friends in the Hungarian Quilt Guild.  Ralph is a radical rooster because he loves being made up in different colors.”

Read about of the saga of the struggling Hungarian Quilt League.

der posting Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2004, 11:13:32 AM »

Oh, and here's a topic I'd like to see discussed here...

Are there any movies that you seem to be the only fan of?  What movie (or movies) is it, and why to you love it as opposed to everyone else hating it?  

I have two movies in mind, which I'll mention later in the day...!

There aren't any movies that I can think of that I like but no one else does, but there are a lot of musicals that I like that no one else does...of course that could just be that I know them and no one else does. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2004, 11:14:44 AM »

Thank you Danise.  I’m hoping for the best.  Good luck on the houses.  I will be watching for updates, and of course, for the fish photos.  I sent the tater site to a friend to brighten her Monday morning at work.

“The Ghost & Mrs. Muir” would be a perfect Valentine movie.  Our personal perfect Valentine movie, and the one we watched last night, is “Casablanca”.
Thanks to all the Valentine’s Day discussion here I was motivated to suggest dinner out last night.  We had a nice time.

Matt H glad to hear you are feeling better & survived most of your night out.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2004, 11:19:54 AM »

Good morning!

Well...But not for me... (ah, a Gershwin reference)...

I slept rather well.  Woke up.  Went to brunch.  Came back from brunch.  Walked into the apartment....

"What the F!@#(*&^$(*&!^@##(@*&^!@#(!@*#^@!!!!!"

So... After that very unpleasant business, I am now over at Steve's apartment decompressing, and we're about to head out for a short walk.  Maybe some shopping.  Maybe some food.

But, boy... NO - MAN!  Am I pissed off right now!!!!!

-I'll spare the details for now... But I will share later.. Don't worry... I'm OK.  I'm actually amazed that I'm sooo angry right now.. and I don't get angry!!!  Hardly ever!  But, today, right now, I am...

So... Just wanted to check in... Vent.. a little...

I'll be back... And I'm looking forward to the chat tonight... Hopefuly, by that time the steam and smoke will have subsided from my ears and nostrils!
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2004, 11:28:09 AM »

Anyone shopping for JRand:

Circus of Horrors/Theatre of Death (DVD)

CIRCUS OF HORRORS (1960):
After being drummed out of the medical profession, the brilliant plastic surgeon Dr. Goethe takes over a small travelling circus. Using his unique skills, the doctor transforms a number of disfigured women with criminal pasts into great beauties, and then blackmails them into performing in his circus. Any woman who attempts to leave meets with a horrible accident, which draws the attention of Scotland Yard and leads to the doctor`s downfall.

THEATRE OF DEATH (1967):
Christopher Lee stars in this British shocker as Phillipe Darvas, the leader of The Theatre of Death, a Grand Guignol theater troupe in Paris. Attracted to one of the leads in their gruesome plays, a police surgeon begins frequenting the theater. At the same time, a series of grotesque murders plague Paris, and soon The Theatre of Death falls under suspicion. As the surgeon becomes more involved with the group, he begins to realize that something more sinister that he ever imagined is going on behind the scenes.

List Price: $14.98
Your Price: $10.69

Buy Now at Deal Freak

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2004, 11:31:32 AM »

We had a swell Valentine's Day. DRs Kerry and Sandra and I drove to Palm Springs to see a concert.....and just as we were getting ready to find our seats, who should walk in the door but DR Jay. Coincidentally, he had a seat directly behind us.

Afterwards, we joined some folks for drinks (Cherry Coke, Diet Coke, and black coffee), where some nosy intoxicated persons spent way too much time prying into our personal business. Then we drove home, arriving one hour before I had to leave for church.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2004, 11:33:33 AM »

Swedish Chef Hat had a great time in Palm Springs. Here it is with Lucy.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2004, 11:34:36 AM »

WFO, "The Gasman Cometh" is great.  Boy, have I been there. (Keith just walked in and made a crude remark. ;D )

Panni, an Indian, Jewish ballet dancer-fascinating.   I have never, knowingly, met a person from India that was Jewish.  

Jane

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2004, 11:36:04 AM »

We had a swell Valentine's Day. DRs Kerry and Sandra and I drove to Palm Springs to see a concert.....and just as we were getting ready to find our seats, who should walk in the door but DR Jay. Coincidentally, he had a seat directly behind us.

Great.  I'm happy you all connected.  :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2004, 11:37:25 AM »

"What the F!@#(*&^$(*&!^@##(@*&^!@#(!@*#^@!!!!!"

My favorite from my Navy days:

"€, Š, Œ, ¤, ¥.,Ø !!!"

der Brucer (hoping Jose doesn't reach for a you-know-what)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2004, 11:39:33 AM »

I once knew a Spanish Jew - his name was Jesus Schwartz.  I once knew an Italian Jew.  His name was Marcello Cohen.  I once knew an Indian Jew.  His name was Little Running Water Bernstein.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2004, 11:40:01 AM »

Right now I'm listening to Donald's Putting It Together Evita radio show and Florence Lacey just started to sing.  I love her!  I saw her in Evita in 1986 in Seattle with a friend from college and it was fantastic.  Last week I (finally) ordered her highlights recording of Evita (with a new cover!) and it'll be arriving very soon.  She has not recorded enough.  I have several things that she's done with Jerry Herman...including the DVD "Jerry Herman's Broadway at the Hollywood Bowl."  That was the very first DVD that I ever owned.

My former voice teacher's partner used to work at the Hollywood Bowl when this show happened.  They have a poster with everyone's autograph.  I tried bribing them to give me the poster, but it didn't work. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2004, 11:42:15 AM »

Believe it or not, my paternal grandmother was an Irish Jew--I didn't believe there could be such a thing, until someone told me the former Mayor of Dublin (I want to say Teddy Kolleck, but I may be making that up) was Jewish.  Oy, Begorrah.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2004, 11:45:37 AM »

A movie I love that nobody else seems to like is The Tall Guy, which answers the musical question, What if Andrew Lloyd Webber had based a show on The Elephant Man?

DW Joy and I have had no gas in our stove/oven since January 12.  Friday, five workman crossed our threshhold to reconnect it.  Still, no gas.

And we tried DSL, but gave up in frustration --- never got it to work.  And the company finance department was after us for a while, saying we owed them for the service we never got.  I believe that was Verizon.

How can I get the music to One Hand Tied Behind My Back?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 11:47:46 AM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2004, 11:47:48 AM »

Panni, an Indian, Jewish ballet dancer-fascinating.   I have never, knowingly, met a person from India that was Jewish.  
The other Indian Jewish person whom I knew very slightly in Toronto was an actor named Brian George. You've probably seen him on TV or in films without thinking  "There's an Indian Jew!" He played Bhaboo (sp.) on Seinfeld -- the restaurant owner Jerry accidentally had deported.

td

• td
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2004, 11:50:13 AM »

td (for some reason) asked for a parody entitled When the Parents Are Asleep...

When the parents are asleep, we're gonna plotz
For sis and I will steal a few tequila shots
When the parents are asleep and you're a kid
No Mom keeps track of your bed; in back of her head
Are eyes that can say "I
Saw what you did."
When the parents are asleep, we'll fool around
We'll see what fun we can have and unravel their every rule
We'll say to the cops, if one stops us, we know that
When the parents are asleep, it's super cool

Now that's what I call parody paradiso!

Thank you, DR NOEL!

Ummmm, let's explain the reason for the wanting:
About the only time I get to be computer savvy and a faithful Dear Reader is once I have my folks settled in for a nap or for the night.  Being an only child and caregiver at this point in time calls for some levity to release the stress - "You got stress?"  "Yes, I guess." - and to share good vibes with all the Dear Readers here.  I nearly had a posting frenzy last night, then decided to watch a few more episodes of ANGEL's third season on dvd.  

And just why is David Boreanaz the perfect actor to watch on February 14th? ? ? (I'm sure that there is at least one DR who knows precisely why).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2004, 11:51:57 AM »

I once knew a Spanish Jew - his name was Jesus Schwartz.  I once knew an Italian Jew.  His name was Marcello Cohen.  I once knew an Indian Jew.  His name was Little Running Water Bernstein.
Funny. But the truth is even funnier. (Not that I'm implying anyone is funnier than our beloved bk.)The Indian Jewish ballet dancer I took acting classes with in Toronto was named Sam Moses. ""Dancing the Prince in Swan Lake tonight will be... Sam Moses." ...I think not.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 11:52:39 AM by Panni »

Tomovoz

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2004, 11:54:02 AM »

, as well as that great country classic "Another Suitcase in Another Hall" from Evita!  Funny, I thought the only Lloyd-Webber/Rice song in this style was "One More Angel in Heaven".
"U.N.C.O.U.P.L.E.D." from "Starlight Express".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2004, 11:54:23 AM »

Believe it or not, my paternal grandmother was an Irish Jew--
Molly Bloom?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2004, 12:00:07 PM »

Actually, Molina's English...his heritage may be Spanish/Italian...but he grew up...and may have been born there, for all I know...in England.

But I also read this article and was a bit baffled about what point they were trying to make.  Isn't the point of theatre to try and strike a chord that is universal to us all?  To find the universal in the specific? A point of human drama that resonates with everybody?  

And I continue to be baffled by a theatre world that screams for colour-blind casting, yet will scream when certain casting is not ethnic-specific.  It seems colour-blind casting is okay as long as that means minorities can be cast in any role. I mean when was the last time you saw a white actor get to essay Othello?  Why does the character even have to be black, persay?  Can't a Moor be Moorish? Perhaps more Arab than black? If Denzel Washington can play Richard III or Laurence Fishburne Henry II in Lion in Winter, why can't Johnathan Price play the Eurasian character in Miss Saigon without a hue and cry? Doesn't a European actor have has much claim on a role that is half- European as an Asian actor on a role that is half-Asian?  Jewish or not, why can't Molina play Tevye?  Is it any more a stretch than when he played Destry years ago?  He's a terrific actor, I'll watch him in anything.

It's called acting, people...pretending to be something you're not.  Isn't that the point?  Creating the illusion of truth?  

Hell, I just read where the Frasier cast is going to do a reading of THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING ERNEST with John Mahoney playing Lady Bracknell.  Won't he be taking away the role from a qualified actress? Let's get a petition up.  

Who said a career in the Arts had to be fair?

Personally, I want to do an all-black...oh, excuse me, African-American...production of FLOWER DRUM SONG.

Robin Anderson, I have an autographed copy of John F. Roy's Guide to Barsoom that he sent me back in 1987 (with his business card still inside it) when I was going off to do my draft of Princess of Mars and was getting in contact with all those people in the Burroughs fan world that I had known in my teen years.  I think I have another copy somewhere, but so many of my poorer editions are stacked on the bookshelves behind the upgraded editions and many of my paper editions and doubles are boxed (which gnaws my soul...books should be displayed).

Lovely Valentine's at home last night, culiminating with a viewing of the original GOODBYE GIRL on TCM.  The perfect Valentine's movie for a couple of old show folk.

Panni

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2004, 12:06:05 PM »

Believe it or not, my paternal grandmother was an Irish Jew--I didn't believe there could be such a thing,
You must run right out and read James Joyce's ULYSSES. If not the whole book - which ain't easy, to say the least - then Molly Bloom's soliloquy -- one long uninterrupted sentence about love and life and all the good stuff -- ending with the word YES. One of the great Irish-Jewish broads!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2004, 12:07:35 PM »

Sam Moses is funnier than Little Running Water Bernstein?  I think not.

Noel: I have the music in storage.

Panni

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2004, 12:11:44 PM »

But I also read this article and was a bit baffled about what point they were trying to make.  Isn't the point of theatre to try and strike a chord that is universal to us all?  To find the universal in the specific? A point of human drama that resonates with everybody?  

As Molly bloom would say, Yes! That's what I meant in my post when I said there was lots to argue about in the aricle. I just didn't feel like getting into that aspect of it and writing for another page when I should've been cutting my script. I'm glad you did -- write, that is, not cut my script. But you're also welcome to cut my script.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 12:15:48 PM by Panni »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2004, 12:16:17 PM »

I'm enjoying the Francois Villion pictures.  I've been intrigued by this character ever since I found a tattered copy of the Justin Huntly McCarthy play, If I Were King in our school library when I was about thirteen.  I also have several copies of the novel (one a lovely copy with a dj and photos from the filmed operetta THE VAGABOND KING, based on the book and play).  Years later in a bookstore in Shreveport, LA., I found my own tattered copy of the play which I treasure (would love to do it some day) and I am a fan of the Ronald Colman movie as well.

Noel, I love THE TALL GUY...very funny movie.

Panni, another thought on the Fiddler article.  It seemed to me the author was upset or resented the fact that somehow ANN FRANK & FIDDLER had lost their impact because in the last forty years the Jewish culture has gotten more assimilated and accepted into the American, if not world, mainstream.  So what is the writer advocating? Pogroms and persecution again so certain theatre pieces retain their "Jewish soul"?

Panni

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2004, 12:18:14 PM »

Sam Moses is funnier than Little Running Water Bernstein?
Only if he wears pointy ears and clown shoes (and a tutu.)

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2004, 12:18:38 PM »

Two movies that I absolutely love, that no one else seems to like or even seen, are BABY'S DAY OUT and Bette Midler's ISN'T SHE GREAT. I saw both in the theater and enjoyed them greatly.

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2004, 12:20:14 PM »

By the way, I probably won't be at chat tonight as I am heading to South Beach to see George for a late Valentine's day dinner.

Panni

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2004, 12:20:41 PM »

So what is the writer advocating? Pogroms and persecution again so certain theatre pieces retain their "Jewish soul"?

Hey, anything for a good show!

Panni

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2004, 12:22:05 PM »

DerBrucer - Thank you for the (Impoverished) Hungarian Quilters link. I thought you were joking, but I looked and there it was.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up