Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: KEEP ON KEEPING ON  (Read 32959 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:KEEP ON KEEPING ON
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2004, 12:38:12 PM »

Jewish or not, why can't Molina play Tevye?
I was in a wonderful production of THE DYBBUK many years ago. (Directed by John Hirsch. In Canadian theatrical circles, it's still legendary.) I joined the company in Toronto, the only new person in the cast. The play had been running for some time in Winnipeg and was about to play Toronto and go on tour. I played a friend of the lead. (I posted once about falling off the stage opening night in Ottawa at the National Arts Center in this very production.) My first day of rehearsal I was informed that I was also understudying the lead. Zowie. That left me a little nervous as I had to learn my part and the lead in a company where everybody else knew exactly what they were doing.
However, I felt up to the task - except for one thing. I had to learn to sing all sorts of liturgical stuff - ancient Jewish prayers, etc. Everyone assumed that, being a European Jew, I knew all this. Well, I was an ASSIMILATED European Jew who knew nothing. Time was of the essence and I was embarrassed to tell anyone that I didn't know the melodies (which were quite complex). There was a member of the company with a small role who had been with the production since the beginning. She was very sweet and friendly, could sing and seemed discreet. So I asked her if she could come to my place and sing me the songs. Which she did. I taped her and that's how I learned the Jewish prayers. This young actress was named Celeste Sansregret and she was as Catholic and French-Canadian as can be. But she taught this Hungarian Jew how to sing the Jewish prayers! Which - in a long rambling way - backs up what you said at the top, FS Pogue.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 12:40:16 PM by Panni »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2004, 12:45:16 PM »

MBarnum, my friend Patrick Read Johnson who directed BABY'S DAY OUT will be pleased to hear you liked it.

Michael

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2004, 01:12:38 PM »

A movie I love that nobody else seems to like is The Tall Guy, which answers the musical question, What if Andrew Lloyd Webber had based a show on The Elephant Man?

DW Joy and I have had no gas in our stove/oven since January 12.  Friday, five workman crossed our threshhold to reconnect it.  Still, no gas.

And we tried DSL, but gave up in frustration --- never got it to work.  And the company finance department was after us for a while, saying we owed them for the service we never got.  I believe that was Verizon.

How can I get the music to One Hand Tied Behind My Back?

I believe Bruce wrote a parody of The Elephant Man for cable TV before the one in Tall Guy was done.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2004, 01:13:50 PM »

MBarnum, my friend Patrick Read Johnson who directed BABY'S DAY OUT will be pleased to hear you liked it.

I also enjoyed Baby's Day Out. It was fun to see Joe Mantana in slapstick comedy. I enjoyed it in the way I enjoyed Home Alone.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2004, 01:17:10 PM »

Now, may I VENT, please? When will otherwise intelligent people learn that "Jewish" is not a nationality? I'm just reading a major article/review in the LA Times of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF. The point of the whole thing is that the writer feels that Fiddler has lost whatever true Jewish soul it had and is now just too "universal.".....(God! I just checked the name of the writer of the article. It's "Rosenbaum." So what's HIS excuse?)
Self-importance, perhaps?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2004, 01:29:32 PM »

Happy Birthday to Steve G and Geoff!

A movie I've mentioned here fairly often never gets support from others; it's DREAM GIRL with Betty Hutton. I have seen ISN'T SHE GREAT. Not great but not bad.

I won't be at chat. After a hiatus of several weeks, ALIAS is back on tonight, and it will claim my full attention in high definition.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2004, 01:35:45 PM »

First of all, Happy Birthday to the Birthday Boys!

Secondly, I may not be at chat tonight.  I'm going to my sister's new house, which is in the process of being built.  We have to clean the floors...actually, we have to clean up the floor areas so that the flooring (vinyl and rug) can be put down.  A couple of nights ago we vacuumed the vents and the floors in the bathroom and kitchen areas because those areas were going to be done first.  Now we have to get the rest of the house ready.  So, I may not be back in time for chat.

That's going to be my day.  Isn't that exciting?  Isn't that too too? :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2004, 01:37:36 PM »

Good afternoon!

OK... Much bettter now.  Some very good Thai food, and, of course, some very good chocolates - 1/2 price Valentine's too!!!  -Just a few pieces.  Three.  That's all.

So, I'm back at Steve's apartment, obviously using his computer (and high-speed cable connection), listening to the OCR of Wicked. and we're about to make some hot chocolate and take down his Christmas tree and decorations(!).   :D -There's not much to take down, and the artificial tree is small - and very nice.  But it will be a nice way to spend a few hours.  Then I'll attempt to step foot back in my apartment...

And for those inquiring minds... WARNING: It was an unpleasant "scene", so, if you read on...

Basically, I got home from brunch, and was getting set to take my shower and shave - the place I go for brunch is usually a little smoky - but very bearable smoke (and I go for my favorite waitress anyway) - so I take my shower after brunch there.. usually.  Well... I digress... I stepped into the bathroom, and something didn't seem right.. something didn't smell right... From the "clues", I'm guessing my roomie's boyfriend - emphasis on "boy" - had a little too much wine last night, and proceeded to get sick in and apparently, on his way to the bathroom this morning - while I was at brunch...  And did NOT clean up all the mess!?!?!?!  And they were both still home!!  Needless to say, I was immediately disgusted, and almost lost my own lunch... well, brunch.  So, I headed back to my bedroom, called Steve, packed a small bag, and headed over here to get cleaned up.  OH!  And I made sure to write a "nice" note in CAPS (contents of which is totally not appropriate for this family website), and placed it on the bathroom door... And gave the back door a pretty SLAM! on the way out.  I'm hoping that woke them up!!!!

So... I'm hoping that everything will be cleaned up when I get back later on.  -My roomie works tonight, so, at least I won't have to deal with him... and, hopefully, I won't be able to deal with the "boy" either.

Well, that's enough of that... The hot chocolate is ready...

Thanks for letting me vent...

-And a public thanks to Steve for being my "oasis" today.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2004, 02:01:40 PM »

Dear DR Jose: You might want to pick up some aerosol air freshener on your way home, because I've a hunch your roomie won't think of it.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2004, 02:17:23 PM »

Good afternoon everyone!

I went out and my foot wasn't hurting. That is until I let my sister's 3 1/2 yr old nephew walk on top of my feet, while I walked him around from room to room. I totally forgot I had a sore right foot. But carrying 40 lbs on it made me remember quickly :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2004, 02:24:23 PM »

Huh?  DR Jennifer, wouldn't he be your nephew too?  Unless he's a nephew by marriage, I suppose...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2004, 02:48:07 PM »

Happy Birthday, DR steveg!

Happy Birthday DR (or DL - Dear Lurker) Geoff!

DR SWW - Thanks for the reminder... I need to make another stop at Target for light bulbs... I'll add air freshener AND Lysol to my list... which, unfortunately, also includes new bathroom rugs.  UGH!

Well - all de-Christmas-ed hear.  Just vacuuming and dusting.  And, in the process, I was able to claim some of my Christmas ornaments.  And seeing all the other ones brought back very fond memories.  *The scary part was remembering which ornaments I bought at a particular store and for half-price!
Make Your Own Luck.

Robin

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2004, 03:05:52 PM »

Two movies that I absolutely love, that no one else seems to like or even seen, are BABY'S DAY OUT and Bette Midler's ISN'T SHE GREAT. I saw both in the theater and enjoyed them greatly.

Oddly enough, I was flipping through the channels earlier today, and caught the last few minutes of Baby's Day Out.  Couldn't form an opinion, but the score over the end credits was very good, in a Carl Stalling kinda way.   I did see Isn't She Great? in the theater, and as always, enjoyed the presence of Mr. Nathan Lane.  The rest of the movie...not so much.  

My two movies everyone hates but me:

Popeye, directed by Robert Altman and starring Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall.  Instead of adapting the 'toon version of Popeye, Altman went back to the Thimble Theatre comic strip, and brought that version of the Popeye mythos to vibrant life.  And the songs are great...especially "He's Large" as sung by Miss Duvall.  I know everyone else in the universe loathes this film, but I think it's perfection.

Battlefield Earth.  The ultimate rotten big-budget SF movie, and a self-aggrandizing vanity project which is still damaging John Travolta's box-office mojo.  One critic described this movie perfectly..."hypnotically foolhardy".  The entire movie seems to have been filmed in one of the villain's lairs in the old "Batman" teevee show; the camera is ALWAYS tilted at an angle.  ALWAYS.  Logic problems, idiotic "satire", and totally, gloriously stupid.  Travolta swears he will make a sequel to this box-office fiasco someday.  I can't wait.  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 03:13:09 PM by Robin Anderson »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2004, 03:12:43 PM »

Huh?  DR Jennifer, wouldn't he be your nephew too?  Unless he's a nephew by marriage, I suppose...

Well he calls me Aunt Jennifer, but he's my sister's husband's sister's child.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2004, 03:29:33 PM »

Yes, years before Tall Guy I did a parody of Elephant Man as a musical for the cable comedy show Likely Stories.  Mine was more like Jerry Herman gone amok, and it had a marvelous cast - Anthony Newley as The Elephant Man (the role he was born to play), Carol Channing as The Actress, Sammy Davis, Jr. as Dr. Treves.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2004, 03:35:59 PM »

Today (your time) would have been Harold Arlen's 99th Birthday. Today (Australian time) is the birthday of Patti Andrews.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Robin

« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2004, 03:55:59 PM »

Oh, I also liked the movie Supergirl.  A lot.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2004, 04:15:28 PM »

Happy Birthday to steveg & GEOFF!   ;D

DR Noel I like THE TALL GUY as well - and DRMATTH I also love DREAM GIRL....well almost any Betty Hutton....but I love to hear and watch her singing "I Wake Up In the Morning Feeling Fine!"  Maybe Paramount will get her out on DVD sooner or later.  I know there are a couple of public domain titles roaming around, but would like to see a nice STUDIO release!  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2004, 04:15:57 PM »

DR Robin do you have the special edition SUPERGIRL dvd?  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2004, 04:19:14 PM »

I like Helen Slater.  Too bad her career went nowheresville after Supergirl.  

This is such a strange weekend.  Can't quite put my finger on it, but it just seems weird to me.  All that DSL stuff, plus a holiday tomorrow.  

Robin

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2004, 04:19:16 PM »

DR Robin do you have the special edition SUPERGIRL dvd?

You betcha!  However, I prefer the theatrical release cut to the bogus "Director's Edition", which plods along gracelessly.  Sometimes, the deleted scenes need to stay deleted.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2004, 04:25:42 PM »

You want to know why, ultimately, The DVD Place will become popular (without anyone really knowing about it, it's already getting quite a bit of traffic)?  Go read Nick Redman's followup to my One From the Heart thoughts.  Brilliant.
http://dvd.allaccessworld.com

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2004, 04:57:48 PM »

Good evening!

Well... I'm back in my apartment.  And the bathroom is clean.  However, I am going to take the bath mats/rugs to the laundromat tomorrow - and I also bought another set at Target earlier just in case.  And, thank you, DR SWW for the air freshener reminder... definitely needed it.  As well as the Lysol.  -Weren't we talking about germs the other day?  But the current set of bath mats definitely need to be laundered - and not just vacuumed - well, at least he vacuumed.  And it will be good to wash the "new" fuzz off the new set I bought - the color of which matches this light/powder blue background here in HHW! :)

So... I'm better now.  Replaced some light bulbs too.  Now I just need to figure out if the "gut" reaction I have whenever I walk past the bathroom is Pavlovian or otherwise.

The only real casualty of the day was the contents of the slow cooker.  I turned it off this morning, and it actually still smells good, but... I won't take any chances with something that's been sitting for ten hours unattended and unrefridgerated.  Food poisoning is that last thing I need right now.  Luckily, since tomorrow is Monday, if I get to the grocery store early enough, I may be able to get a few packs of "thrift meat" at 50% off!  -Well, the have "thrift" stuff every morning.  They put any stuff  - bakery items, prepared foods, meat, poultry, etc. - that expires (sell by) on the "day of" on 1/2 price sale on the "day of" - and sometimes the night before.  Always good for stocking the freezer.

OK - Time to catch up various and sundried internet stuff and watch Trading Spaces Family...

See you at chat...  I hope...
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2004, 04:59:43 PM »

I just read Nick's column on "special features" on the DVD site and I tend to agree that so much of this stuff is just a marketing ploy.  When we lift the veil too often, when we show the man behind the curtain, when we reveal the trick...we asking for deflation and disappointment, a movie can lose its mystique, magic, mystery, and romance.  

It also makes second-guessing arm-chair experts out of every amateur.  Movies become something to dissect, not to get lost in.  

I have found that when you watch most deleted scenes, you see...if you have any notion of dramaturgy...why they were deleted.  While in and of themselves they might have an interesting revelation or shade, they rarely add anything to the whole.  

It's also why I hate rewriting books of musicals.  let the thing be as it was, as it is.  I shudder to think if we started re-writing classic novels or adding shit to them.  That's what movie and stage adaptations are for!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2004, 05:13:44 PM »

Yes good column from Mr Redman and DR CP pointed out.  I haven't purchased the CASABLANCA special edition, because just the movie is enough for me....

I am watching THE SOUND OF MUSIC now....what lovely scenery and in-tune performances by all.  Eleanor Parker with the ugliest clothes EVER...and Julie Andrews in a sweet performance....I love her "Maria."  And it is so ironic that Marni Nixon is out of synch on a couple of words...LOL.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2004, 05:14:00 PM »

Panni I remember the Seinfeld episode.

Robin Anderson I liked Popeye.  It was a fun children’s movie.  I didn’t understand why the critics bashed it so much.

JoseSPiano thanks for reminding me of the following story:  Years ago, before we had children, we had a party.  One gal got drunk (we think she arrived drunk), lost it all over our bathroom, and then sneaked out through the bathroom window leaving me to clean up the mess.  

Charles Pogue I saw Janet yesterday.  Did you receive my message with her email address?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2004, 05:17:17 PM »

Hmmmmmmmm.....does it bother anyone else that Boris Leven's design of the main hallway of the Von Trapp villa is basically his design for the interior of the Benedict house in GIANT with a bit more gingerbread?

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2004, 05:37:36 PM »

Has anyone mentioned the BAFTA awards yet?Southern Hempishere winners: LOTR & Peter Weir.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2004, 05:39:10 PM »

Would Rock Hudson and James Dean have worn the curtains?
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2004, 05:39:36 PM »

Jane, yes, I have got Janet's email.  Thanks.  I've just been remiss in emailing her.  In rewrite throes and having to read a ton of novels with a possibility of maybe wanting to adapt.  It's amazing the tripe that people want to do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up