Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: KEEP ON KEEPING ON  (Read 33214 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
KEEP ON KEEPING ON
« on: February 15, 2004, 12:04:47 AM »

Well, you've read the notes quite quickly since they were so damnably short, so now all that's left or even right to do is post until the cows come home.  
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 12:02:29 AM by bk »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:KEEP ON KEEPING ON
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 12:27:59 AM »

BK, I like TUNES OF GLORY a lot and THE DAMNED is very interesting.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 12:32:53 AM »

Sorry, BK, but the cows are already home.  Der Brucer and I passed them earlier while returning home ourselves.

We'd been out locating a used electric dryer for our laundry, and got a pretty good deal on one, or at least one that der Brucer was satisfied with, at a dealer just a town away from where we are.  We wouldn't really need an electric dryer, because we have a gas dryer that we brought in with that truckload of everything that arrived last weekend, but there's this kind of a DSL problem with these things.  It seems that the gas company, whose assistance we need to hook up said gas dryer, won't be able to come out to our house for a while.  They're booked.  For at least a couple of months.

And, on the way home, we passed a field filled with cows, who were quite at home themselves.

So, an electric dryer is the solution, it seems.  Der Brucer prefers gas, but I prefer dry clothes, and I'm not fond of going to the laundromat, having done that for too many years.  There is the advantage that, when the gas dryer does get hooked up, we'll have two dryers to work with.  And drying clothes always takes more time than washing them.

Does anyone else out there have similar stores, like those BK and der Brucer and I have, about having fun with repairmen and the like.

DR TCB, I know you've got stories to tell!   :o
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 12:36:21 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 12:42:33 AM »

I had a very very very (that's three verys) lovely Valentine's Day evening and am now home again and ready for beddy. Tomorrow i cut five minutes from my script or else. Just dropped in to say good-night.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 01:11:04 AM »

Does anyone else out there have similar stores, like those BK and der Brucer and I have, about having fun with repairmen and the like.

DR TCB, I know you've got stories to tell!   :o

Oh, SWW, you mean like the cable TV installer or the pizza delivery man???  Shame on you.  This is, of course, a family site, not a site for family! ::)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 05:51:52 AM »

Here is your François Villon picture for today:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 06:00:47 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 06:03:59 AM »

Good morning all!  Well I had a very bad night's sleep.  I think that is what you get for resting before bedtime. I was wide awake at midnight for a couple of hours and could not fall asleep!  

And when I just woke up I was having a weird dream.  I was talking to someone on my driveway and snowplow neighbor guy from next door's wife knew that person. So she and neighbor husband came over.  And somehow I told him that his putting snow against the driveway was not appreciated. And he was shocked!

Then it seemed like I was back in highschool. And they were giving callbacks for the yearly musical, which was to be Thoroughly Modern Millie.  I got callbacks for Millie and Mrs Meers (only the callbacks were that day at 11:45am (it was early morning) and they wanted 3 songs for each). Oy. It was quite funny having me race around in my dream. I am glad I woke up :)

Bruce, sorry about your DSL problems. But you sound exactly like me. You just keep calling back until someone with a brain will answer your questions.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 06:09:16 AM »

Jennifer - I have dreams like that - only I'm always naked, and they play my intro music, and I have no idea how the song goes, and I try to fake it. Ah, showbiz!

Quote from: JoseSPiano on Yesterday at 05:30:55pm:

As for meeting in NYC, I may be up there Feb 29-March 2 to catch some friends in some shows and cabarets.  Will you be leaving March 1?  Or March 2?

DRJose: I leave NYC on March 1, to catch an early morning plane out of Philly on March 2. Hope to be able to meet you while I'm in town!
PennyO

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 06:13:22 AM »

In re:  Repairmen

The last word on the subject is contained in Flanders & Swann's delightful song "The Gasman Cometh".  For those unfamiliar with this ditty, I quote it herewith in its entirity.

It was on a Monday morning that the gasman came to call,
The gastap wouldn't turn, I wasn't getting gas at all,
He tore up all the skirting boards to try and find the main,
And I had to call the carpenter to put it back again.

Oh it all makes work for the working man to do.

It was on the Tuesday morning the carpenter came round,
He hammered and he chiseled, and he said "Look what I've found!"
Your joists are full of dry rot, but I'll put them all to rights."
Then he nailed right through a cable <pop!> and out went all the lights

It was on the Wednesday morning the electrician came,
He called me Mr Sanderson, which isn't quite the name,
He couldn't reach the fuse box without standing on the bin,
Then his foot went through a window, so I called the glazier in.

Twas on the Thursday morning the glazier came along,
With his putty, and his blowtorch, and his merry glazier song,
He put another pane in, it took no time at all,
But I had to get the painter in to come and paint the wall.

It was on the Friday morning the painter made a start,
With undercoats and overcoats, he painted every part,
Every nook and every crany, but I found when he had gone,
He'd painted over the gastap, and I couldn't turn it on!

On Saturday, and Sunday, they do no work at all
So it was on the Monday morning that the gasman came to call!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 06:16:27 AM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

Robin

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 06:45:26 AM »

The Significant Other and I had a wonderful Valentine's Day, at the wonderful Betty's Pies and doing some wonderful antiquing. At Betty's, we picked up two pies; one is Raspberry Rhubarb Crunch, and the other is Blueberry Peach...and they're both simply wonderful.  

Wonderful, wonderful.

I came up with a quite wonderful find in a dusty old antique shop.  A book called No Bed of Her Own, by Val Lewton.  Yup, that Val Lewton, written before he'd gotten his producing job at RKO.  It's one of those cheaply-made hardcovers that were in vogue before the paperback made its' appearance on the market.  It's in remarkably good shape; the spine is faded considerably, but the binding is in excellent shape, and though the pages are a bit brittle with age, there's no chunks missing.  Obviously, the book dealer didn't know what he was dealing with, since I only paid a dollar for the book.  

I also found a copy of John Flint Roy's A Guide to Barsoom...the book is in pretty rough shape, but I've been wanting to replace my missing copy of it for a number of years, so rough shape is acceptable shape, given the shape of the hole in my Burroughs collection.

Today, it's off to the appliance stores to find a replacement for the annoyingly-buzzing refridgerator that came with the condo.  It was originally that horrid harvest-gold color so popular in the mid-seventies, but we repainted it white because we couldn't bear to look at it.  Hopefully, it will be out the door later today.

Oh, and BK...

...don't get too riled up with the DSL people.  When DSL came to Our House, it was days late, and I was on the phone with the tech geeks every night for a week.  But they did get the thing working, and once it is working, it's infinitely better and more stable than dial-up connections.  Yes, it's a big pain in the ass, but it's worth it.  (Funny thing was, after working with idiots with names like "Brad" and "Sean", the guy named "Shamir" had it up and running perfectly...isn't immigration wonderful?)
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2004, 06:49:13 AM »

Oh, and here's a topic I'd like to see discussed here...

Are there any movies that you seem to be the only fan of?  What movie (or movies) is it, and why to you love it as opposed to everyone else hating it?  

I have two movies in mind, which I'll mention later in the day...!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2004, 06:49:45 AM »

And my Sharon McNight (no K) festival continues with her country album "Now and Then".  Such  voice for yodeling!

It includes such country classics as "Stand by Your Man" and "Put a Nickel in the Jukebox and Bring Back Patti Page", as well as that great country classic "Another Suitcase in Another Hall" from Evita!  Funny, I thought the only Lloyd-Webber/Rice song in this style was "One More Angel in Heaven".
--Wayland Flowers

Danise

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2004, 07:12:27 AM »

I'm sorry about the DSL still not working.  I'm having a heck of time with downloading e-books to my PDA.  I bought another book and decided to try MS Reader instead of Adobe Reader.  It's not working any better.  I can't get the PDA to see the book.  Sigh.  

I complained to Amazon.com and am awaiting their reply but maybe e-books aren't all they're cracked up to be.  

Happy Sunday all!  I'll be back later when I've finished doing battle in the bathroom.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2004, 07:13:27 AM »

I saw THE DAMNED in a wretched print at a revival theater many years ago, and the print was so full of splices and tears that it was practically unwatchable. I am looking forward to the DVD to finally see it without such distracting intrusions into one's concentration. It was on a double bill with DEATH IN VENICE, so it was a LONG afternoon, though VENICE was in a nice print and apart from Visconti's overly languorous pacing of the film, I did enjoy it.

Have a full day of movie-watching ahead of me, and I'm looking forward to it. Will give a full report later.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 07:14:52 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2004, 07:16:47 AM »

My washer-dryer story: not really a riveting one, but the washer and dryer I now have are 23 years old! I had to replace a fan belt on the dryer about 7 years ago, but otherwise they've worked perfectly. But any week now, I just know they're going to fall apart. Can't really complain after so many years of steady, reliable use.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2004, 07:31:22 AM »

And here we have Sharon singing "Don't the Girls All Get Prettier at Closing Time?"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2004, 07:34:58 AM »

Matt:  That's due to an error in the factory.  They forgot to install the "Go Kablooey one Day After the Warrantee Runs Out" chip.
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2004, 07:38:26 AM »

A NEW Ronald Stein CD???!!!!!  ;D  I am agog!  :P

Yes, when DSL is working you will be happy and glad....your computer will seem like new....just like the one Betty Furness used to demonstrate on TV....oh no that was a refrigerator....that wouldn't open....oh well!  And it wasn't Betty, it was her replacement that week!   "Just touch the button and the door opens......well.....just touch....well someone seems to playing a joke...anyway....if the door were open you could see the shelf space inside and the freezer on top....."

Hmmmmmmmm.....most of the movies I like, at least a couple of other people like...but they include XANADU and BERSERK! and HARLOW with Miss Carroll Baker!

Does anyone else have a favorite Carroll Baker movie?

DDRMBarnum you chosen my two favorite A/C movies as well!  And yes they are STILL funny.

TD thanks for the Ogden Nash link!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2004, 07:39:21 AM »

And here we have a later picture of Carroll and her co-star Red Buttons!  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2004, 07:40:21 AM »

On my way to auditions to find the actress we need for the one-woman show I am directing.

Good vibes that she walks in the door please!

Chat tonight will be great!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2004, 08:54:00 AM »

td (for some reason) asked for a parody entitled When the Parents Are Asleep...

When the parents are asleep, we're gonna plotz
For sis and I will steal a few tequila shots
When the parents are asleep and you're a kid
No Mom keeps track of your bed; in back of her head
Are eyes that can say "I
Saw what you did."
When the parents are asleep, we'll fool around
We'll see what fun we can have and unravel their every rule
We'll say to the cops, if one stops us, we know that
When the parents are asleep, it's super cool
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2004, 09:33:46 AM »

The title today "Keep on Keeping On" reminds me of my High School music teacher as he would always say that.  To make me V-day report quick, the book of 1000 Chocolate Recipe's was VERY well received as was the card with those scary three words in it.  We had a lovely dinner and a wonderful evening.  It was nice to have a real Valentine's day before I turned 35!!  Two movies that I am a fan of are "Candleshoe" and "The North Avenue Irregulars", two forgotten movies from the 70's and 80's.  Off to prepare for the first round of "Joseph" auditions.  I love that show!!  Won't be here for chat. :(    Have a great day, all.  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2004, 09:39:42 AM »

Man, I must have been tired last night - I forgot to close out yesterday's discussion.  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2004, 09:51:04 AM »

Good morning. Boy, Francois Villon looks like one mean dude. Poet as gang member. "Here's the newest Jet, guys -- Francois."

It's a beautiful morning. Took the wonderdog out for his walk to the park. Met up with some early morning dog people there and we let all the dogs run loose and play. It's fun to watch him run like the wind. I just discovered from the dog people that there's a writers' baseball game in the park every Sunday morn. One of these weekends I'll check it out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2004, 09:53:41 AM »

Oops (spoo, spelled backwards), call me a corndog but I meant to check out our handy-dandy calendar and didn't, so hold your hats and hallelujah if we don't have a birthday to celebrate here at haineshisway.com.  Yes, you heard it here, dear readers, we've got us a birthday to celebrate, so put on your pointy party hats and your colored tights and pantaloons, break out the cheese slices and ham chunks, dance the hora and the twist, for today is dear reader steveg's very own birthday.  So, let us give steveg a big haineshisway.com birthday cheer.  On the count of three: One, two, three - HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVE G ON THE COUNT OF THREE.

Also, a happy birthday to Geoff, whomever he may be.  I am adding a note to the notes.

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2004, 09:53:59 AM »

Are there any movies that you seem to be the only fan of?  What movie (or movies) is it, and why to you love it as opposed to everyone else hating it?  

Um, ya, that would be pretty much ALL of the movies that I love! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2004, 09:57:58 AM »

Happy B'Day to the birthday boys!!!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2004, 10:23:07 AM »

A..but they include XANADU and BERSERK! and HARLOW with Miss Carroll Baker!

Does anyone else have a favorite Carroll Baker movie?

I, too, like Xanadu, like you.
People who do not like Xanadu should be sent to their rooms and made to watch 3 consequtive showings of "Lost Horizon - The Musical".

Carroll Baker was really BIG in "How The West Was Won."
(IMDB review quote:

"This is the project that MGM decided would work utilizing the costly and panoramic Cinerama process to tell a story. Good choice. ..Sadly, it's the presentation that really gave this picture it's glory, and that aspect is all but lost when viewing the film today. When something like this is thrown in front of you using three projectors and 8-channels of sound, it's hard not to be engaged.

There's still a great deal of appeal left in this epic for those of us who remember when theaters had curtains."

Hey - movie theatre's with curtains - and ushers! (And all us addicts could puff away to our heart's content).

My old time fav's that get little support:
"Quo Vadis" (with a young Hecule Poirot)
"The Eqyptian" (who does not sing with Mario Lanza's voice!)

Recent films I've liked but few folks I know have seen them:

A Murder of Crows
Donnie Darko

der Brucer (and when we get to worst-evers, I'm ready to vote for Andy Warhol's "Frankenstein" - I took a date who passed out cold from the shock!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2004, 10:24:09 AM »

I have two movies in mind, which I'll mention later in the day...!

The first one to come to mind is Fathom, starring Raquel Welch, Tony Francisosa, and Clive Revill. Here's the official synopsis, which doesn't mention two favorite elements - Anthony Franciosa's sophisticated Peter Merriweather, and John Dankworth's period music. To me, this was an even better spoof (and it was intended as a spoof) than the Austin Powers movies.

Fathom Harvill (Raquel Welch) is tired of being a mere dental assistant. She breaks out in a most unusual way when her skydiving hobby is enlisted by a Scotsman to uncover an atomic weapon hidden away in a Ming statue. This 1967 spy film showcases Welch's greatest talents in a wide array of swimwear while weaving a James Bond style tale of intrigue and fleshy pleasures. Clive Revill excels as Sergi Serapkin, a villainous figure whose fear of cold water deadens his menacing power.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2004, 10:44:18 AM »

Only 28 Posts! Is this to be a "Never On a Sunday" day?

Must I reminisce about the good old days?

Must I tell stories about why my pet rabbits never multiplied? (Tale involves the immigrant family next door, the Krebs, who had a fancy for Hassensomethingorother.)

Must I post links to sites like:

where one can find a hilarious recipe for Armadeillo Eggs - 'taint whatcha think!

Must we get Ben to post a ballad of the "Tale of Ant and The Faggots"?

der Brucer (Come on folks, I'm dying up here!)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up