Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: WALK ON THE WILD SIDE  (Read 23753 times)

Kerry

Re:WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2004, 09:07:13 PM »

I'm tired too.  Work tomorrow.  Ugh.  Jose, you deserve congratulations.   I admire your discipline....... and metabolism.  I need to work on this for me.   i could definitely do without a few pounds.  

Oh, and Jeff Richards didn't have to sing or dance or even act.  All he had to do was stand there.  Sorry to hear his life turned out badly.
I like boat races.

Tomovoz

« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2004, 09:27:04 PM »

Charles did your research come up with the name of the jazz band "Universal Jones" which was fronted by Gene McDaniels? He also composed "Compared To What" - also recorded beautifully by Roberta Flack. "Natural Juices" was the album mostly penned by McDaniels that included his version of "Feel Like Makin' Love" . A single was released by Universal Jones - "River".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2004, 09:37:58 PM »

Is there some way a few of us can send you our excess weight Anna?

A very kind offer, Tomovoz. But there's probably some law that prohibits it ("no plants, foodstuffs or pounds") so I'll have to do it on my own.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2004, 10:20:27 PM »

Old fogies, that's what we've become.  Skammen, as Ingmar Bergman would say.

Panni

« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2004, 10:30:38 PM »

I object! I am NOT an old fogie. A little foggy at times, but not a fogie.

Tomovoz

« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2004, 10:33:07 PM »

Here's to us foggy people. Play misty for me.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2004, 10:34:37 PM »

I admit, I'm tired too.  The boxes my Dad was sending to us arrived today, so I helped our postman unload them all and got them into the house.  Then we started going through all twenty-seven boxes.  That's a lot of CDs, DVD, and books!  Some immediately went to the basement (meaning, I got to carry them down), and others are being stocked on our shelves.  Right now, my bed is covered with books, waiting to get organized.  There's room enough for Marty, who is napping quite comfortably, but not for me.  (Hey, an Ira G. ref!)

Of course, all of this reshelving would have gone a lot faster if we hadn't gone up to Dover for some shopping, and then over to Der Brucer's daughter's to deliver some things she wanted us to pick up.  We hadn't planned on staying there too late, since she was with the older lad at Cub Scouts, but while der B and the son-in-law were talking, she called and insisted that he stay because "the older lad wanted him to."  Yeah, right, they got back from Cub Scouts fifteen minutes later, the lad dashed over to watch TV, and she chewed her father's ear off for another hour.

So we got home late, both a little too tired to do much more work.  But I have to get some done, or I'll never find my bed again!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2004, 10:54:53 PM »

Mention of my close personal friend Ingmar, made me take the screenplay of THE SILENCE off the shelf. So I shall make my last post for today, the last moment of the film. How's this for a thrilling climax, Hollywood?
ANNA: What's that?
JOHAN: Ester wrote me a letter.
ANNA (suspicious): A letter. Let's see?
Reluctantly, Johan gives her the crinkled paper with the incomprehensible foreign words.
Anna shrugs, hands it back to her son. He takes it from her and reads it, whispering.
It gets darker and darker, the rain squirts down over the windowpanes. Anna opens the window and lets the water splash over her hands and face. Johan's face is pale with the effort of trying to understand the strange language. This secret message.
                             THE END
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 11:00:10 PM by Panni »

Jed

« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2004, 11:04:07 PM »

The movie Panni quotes, of course, starred young Benjamin Kritzer's favorite... Ingrid Thulin.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: February 18, 2004, 11:20:34 PM »

Fogies I tell you.  We have turned into old fogies.  Perhaps we should all just sit around in our smoking jackets puffing on stogies.  Stogies for fogies and vice and versa.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #190 on: February 18, 2004, 11:25:30 PM »

I don't know how I've managed it, but I've just finished putting the cookbooks in their (basic) places on the shelves.  That's about eleven shelves of cookbooks, with a little room to grow.  Plus there's a shelf finished of general bookery (Kimmel sitting next to Maupin).

Right now, I've got enough room for five more shelves.  That will be filled with some of my personal stuff, and all of the gay lit/history/politics that I haven't sent to book hell downstairs (where it can gather it's deserved mold).  The entertainment/stage/film books are all going in the living room, since der Brucer and I both ref them when need be.

Day by day, this feels more and more like a home.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #191 on: February 18, 2004, 11:34:42 PM »

But we need more pictures on the walls.

Quilts.  I'd love to have some quilts to hang.

And family pictures, like of my parents and his.  If he can find any.  The hall needs pictures.  The stairway needs quilts.

The dining room needs an ancient mirror.  Either that or something we can't afford, like an original Pollock (but a small one, because it isn't THAT large a wall).

And stop complaining about us being old fogies, BK.  I haven't the fogie-est idea where you're coming up with that.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up