Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WALK ON THE WILD SIDE  (Read 23798 times)

Emily

Re:WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2004, 02:50:15 PM »

if it worked for sandra...

what are the main critiques of the hypothesis that the social structre and economy of advanced capaitalism have given salience to a competitive dimension of politics with two aspects: economically leftist (redistributive) and political as well as culturally libertarian (participatory and individualist) positions at one extreme and economically rightist, free-marketeering as well as politically and culturally authoritarian positions at the other?

People need to learn how, or have the intrinisic ability, to avoid (whenever possible) creating sentences - or phrases given the opportunity - THAT HAVE TOO MANY FRIGGIN' SIDE STEPS and extra points added in to its main idea!!!   There isn't some academic prize to for the single grammatically correct sentence with the most number of ideas in it at once.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2004, 02:55:27 PM »

"He created old Adam
And Made a woman for the man"....

"I'll thank him every night
For my world filled with beauty and light"

I think there are two more line somewhere too!

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2004, 02:59:54 PM »

This miserable, dreary rainy day is just lovely.  It makes me remember, living out here in sunny CA, how much I miss bad weather...I wish I didn't have any work to do, so I could really enjoy it...

Tomovoz

« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2004, 03:00:08 PM »

DR Emily, whoever set the essay topic is an idiot. (My degree was a double major in Economics).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2004, 03:02:42 PM »

Of course I did go to school with Keynes.
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2004, 03:03:07 PM »

Noel, did she object to the "Goddamn" part?  I had heard that Kathy Lee Gifford asked Sondheim to rewrite a simlar lyric in Putting It Together because of her beliefs...maybe it was the "F" word (I'm not sure now).  Anyway, I remember reading that he did allow the change for her.

If her objection was to "Goddamn," what if you wrote "and turn the f*cking cell phones off" ... would that have been more acceptible? ;)

We'll never know.  This young lady is an absolute treasure, musical perfection, whereas there's two dozen others in the cast whom I don't trust at all.  So I'm accommodating her religious principles.

Kathy Lee didn't like the famous line "wait a Goddamn minute" in Could I Leave You and, as far as I'm concerned, should never have been given the role.  Her casting had everything to do with famous-from-TV = ticket sales and never mind that there are hundreds of able performers who could do the role better.

But if famous-from-TV weren't such a valuable commodity, nobody would subject themselves to that Idol show, now would they?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2004, 03:03:43 PM »

Ah, and one of those rock n roll non-rhymes...Adam and man...Sort of like the earlier one I quoted from Kiddio "phone and wrong".  Isn't the original "He created a woman and a lots of lovin' for a man"...Of course, that's not a rhyme either, but an identity, isn't it?  Still it seems inoffensive enough...even for the time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2004, 03:16:43 PM »

I, too, am enjoying the rain.  Will be sending Mr. Owens the CDs.  And Point of No Return almost made it in the book, but not quite.

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2004, 03:24:21 PM »

Re 100 Pounds etc: I guess it was the whole idea of creating lots of lovin' that was a problem for the BBC. Worse things have happened here. We were not allowed to hear "bloody" in the "The Battle Of New Orleans" and "Snoopy Vs The Red Baron". In 1959 they would not play Darin's "Mack The Knife" on Oz radio!
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2004, 03:32:21 PM »

Yes, the rain is lovely. But the sound is so soothing that I fell asleep. (I hardly slept last night, so I have an excuse of sorts.) And I absolutely CANNOT fall asleep because I have a ton of writing and reading to do. It's my fault because I thought that I could sit on my bed and read -- a ridiculous assumption when the rain is making pitter-pat noises on the window and the furnace is humming and getting the room just ever so warm and cozy and the dog is snuggling at your feet and...ZZZZZZZZZ

MBarnum

« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2004, 03:52:42 PM »

bK, you have not answered the BK questions of the day put forth by DR JRand53 and myself.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2004, 03:52:53 PM »

No,Jane, my lovely wife hates it...and trots out the same sad myth each time. Hell, if I just make a wrong turn and KNOW how to get back, she wants me to stop for directions. But like I said, she hates it if my walk doesn't have a programmed route mapped out.  She wants to know exactly where and how long.  She won't go with me, if I decide I'm exploring.  

I suspected as much.  LOL ;D.  I do enjoy exploring, especially when I have someone with me who has a good sense of direction.  I'm careful which mountains I go hiking in alone.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2004, 03:54:49 PM »

Yes he did, MBARNUM.....he didn't watch the movies.  8-(
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2004, 03:55:04 PM »

Off work in 5 minutes, then home to get some dinner and off to see 7 BRIDES FOR 7 BROTHERS at the Star Cinema in Stayton. All my buddies backed out of seeing it tonight...those slackers! But I am gonna go anyhow as I have never seen the whole movie and I will enjoy seeing Jeff Richards up on the big screen!

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2004, 03:56:46 PM »

M Barnum. Be prepared for Iceland!
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2004, 03:59:15 PM »

Yes he did, MBARNUM.....he didn't watch the movies.  8-(

OH, I must have missed it, or was soooo shocked that my brain didn't want to admit having read it.

BK get down to the video store and rent REFORM SCHOOL GIRL, HOT ROD GANG, HIGH SCHOOL HELLCATS, and THE GHOST OF DRAGSTRIP HOLLOW right now! You will never regret it!

Jane

« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2004, 03:59:38 PM »

I was happy our hard rain finally took a break this morning.  Echo & I had a very nice walk this walk before the light rain began again.

Tomovoz-such interesting censorship of songs.

MBarnum

« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2004, 04:00:02 PM »

M Barnum. Be prepared for Iceland!

Woohoo! Thanks Tom!!

Have you visited India yet?????

Charles Pogue

« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2004, 04:04:49 PM »

Was Jeff Richards the conspicuously non-dancing brother?  I've often wondered how he felt being in that movie and not dancing and how his fellow-dancer performers felt about him.  Any insight into this guy and what else he had done? I also always thought he looked a lot like Wayde Preston of "Colt-45."  He didn't change his name, did he?  Wayde Preston always sounded like a made-up Hollywood name.  So does Jeff Richards, for that matter.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: February 18, 2004, 04:09:10 PM »

I got compressed air and tried blowing air in the various vents and openings of the computer.  I could then hear the fan trying to work, so it may not even need a new fan - it may just need to be opened and cleaned out.

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2004, 04:10:19 PM »

Sorry Michael. I have not even had time to go west of the wall. Have been too busy in Iceland. I need to relax now on a sandy shore. Don't you love posts that no-one else understands.
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2004, 04:12:46 PM »

Don't you love posts that no-one else understands.

I'm so glad you said that  :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2004, 04:16:00 PM »

DR Jane, other not for radio airplay or "edited" songs from Oz.
Love for Sale - any vocal version
"Let's Spend The Night Together" ( Rolling Stones)
"Ballad Of John & Yoko" (Beatles)
"I Can't Control Myself" (Troggs)
"Hi Hi Hi" (Wings)
"A Day In The Life" (Beatles).
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2004, 04:16:24 PM »

DR TOMOVOZ thanks so much for the super CD!  So many of the songs  I had never heard.   They are super....what a great collection!

And I hadn't heard THE LITTLE BLUE MAN in probably 30 years!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »

Yes that was Jeff Richards, DRCHARLESPOGUE....I think MBARNUM had some information about him that he posted last week.....

He was also in THE OPPOSITE SEX.  I know that his "bride" in 7B47B, happened to be the lovely dancer Julie Newmar.  On her Cult TV Stars episodes she stated that she was distressed that because HE didn't dance, she didn't get to do most of the numbers.  She said that he was a baseball player, a nice guy, and being given a push by MGM, but felt a bit out of place among all the dancers.  She said he worked very hard to do what little dancing he could, but even after hours of rehearsal, he mostly stood to the side and clapped his hands.

He does some steps in "Goin' Co'tin'" and finishes up the Challenge Dance, but is out of his element.  

But after all these years, Julie still despaired being paired with the non-dancing brother!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 04:30:57 PM by JRand53 »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2004, 04:27:26 PM »

Good evening!

I made a most pleasing - and delicious - discovery while I was at the grocery store about an hour ago.  I was walking around trying to find something crunchy and/or salty and/or sweet to snack on that wouldn't derail my current eating plan.  Well, I began to walk by this "heathy foods" display when I noticed some interesting packages on one of the lower shelves.  Boy, am I glad I stopped and saw them!  (Almost a Weird Romance reference.)

The product:  Just The Cheese - Crunchy Baked Natural Cheese Snacks.  And from Wisconsin too!  I picked up two flavors/varieties - Herb & Garlic and Pizza.  Very tasty!  Very crunchy!  And since they're just made out of cheese and spices, they have virtually no carbs!  It's just like a "frico crisp", or those crunchy bit of cheese on a pizza.  I may have to check out the other flavors now: White Cheddar, Nacho and Ranch.  Oh - just checking the packaging.  They have a website:

http://www.specialcheese.com

-Oh, and for what it's worth... Three days... Five pounds!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2004, 04:32:10 PM »

But after all these years, Julie still despaired being paired with the non-dancing brother!

Was that why she changed her name after the movie? ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2004, 04:32:12 PM »

"Little Blue Man" was co-written by Fred Ebb. The song was covered by Petula Clark in the UK.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2004, 04:34:09 PM »

LOL could be DRJane - of course now she is known as Julie "Catwoman" Newmar!  To everyone but Wong Foo, that is.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2004, 04:37:18 PM »

Tomovoz thanks for the additional listing of songs.

I loved "The Little Blue Man" .  I think last I heard the song was about six years ago.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up