Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WALK ON THE WILD SIDE  (Read 22526 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
« on: February 18, 2004, 12:03:53 AM »

Well, you've read the ever-so-brief notes, you therefore must be rarin' to post, rarin' do you hear me?  Poppa, do you hear me?  Move over sun, you're gonna hear from me.  I hear music.  Do I hear a waltz?  Here, here, there is too much hear in this post.   8)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 12:04:38 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 12:12:11 AM »

Dear DR PennyO: Two and a half hours to see you will be worth every minute.  I'm just hoping der Brucer can find good directions to the theater, to make sure we don't get lost!  

So you like red?  We'll see what we can do!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 12:15:10 AM »

That brings up an interesting question for BK and the rest of the DRs:  How good are you at following directions, to get from place to place?  Do you need good maps, or can you find your way with reasonably sound instructions?  Are you better off with a navigator by your side, or would you rather the bloke kept his mouth shut?

Disaster stories on getting lost, and how you would avoid said disasters, would also be appreciated!   :D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 12:16:31 AM »

I'm pretty good with easy-to-understand directions.  I am not good with mapquest because they are so unclear it's not even funny.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 12:36:53 AM »

Give me a good map, I can be a pretty decent navigator.  Der Brucer and I make a good driving team that way.  I can keep an eye out for road signs and traffic while he concentrates on what he does best, driving.  (We've had enough stories here about my own driving to last for a while, I think.  It was here he told those tales, I'm sure.)

I've found the trick with Mapquest is to get several different layers of maps, with more detailed prints at major turns.  It's not perfect, but it's better than no instructions at all.  (This is also where driver/navigator teams work better.)

One of the fun frustrations we've had here in Delaware is the lack of any real signage to get to certain places.  Sure, it was easy to find the DMV the second time we went there, but the first time was a real hassle.  For some reason, people don't post numbers on their buildings, which makes it difficult to find out where you are in relation to where you want to go.  And it's really fun when the directions tell you to take the second left past where Farmer Dell's Outhouse used to be (particularly in winter, when the greener grass can't be seen)!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 01:35:20 AM »

I have a very nice recording of Brook Benton singing WALK ON THE WILD SIDE.

I don't like verbal directions, but give me good written directions or a good map and I can get anywhere.  

I also don't really mind occasionally getting lost...I find it an adventure.  It drives my wife crazy.  Particularly, if we're walking and I just want to explore a strange route.

BK & I had a wild and wooly adventure coming back from the bookfair a couple of weeks ago, trying to avoid freeway traffic...meeting up with police cordoned off main routes, rambling through strange subdivisions, getting on and off freeways and taking strange overpaths and cross-streets.  But we muddled through without too much wear and tear.

I would rather always be moving on strange, alternate routes than sitting going nowhere in traffic on a direct route.

I'm excellent on foot.  Within a day of being in London my very first time, I was giving directions to other tourists.  I have a very good sense of direction.

Though I did have a geezer moment coming home late one night from Costa Mesa.  I missed my turn to get headed back North on the freeway to LA, so I figured all I had to do was drive parallel along the freeway before I came to my next entry ramp, unfortunately, the ramp took me into John Wayne Airport, then I was on surface streets, suddenly not running parallel to the freeway, and got all muddled.  I knew I was vaguely heading North, but got turned around enough to find myself heading for Balboa Island at one point.  I eventually found signs for a recognizable freeway and got back on track, but for awhile there I felt like a little old man hunched over my steering-wheel in blithering daze.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 01:42:40 AM by Charles Pogue »

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 01:58:54 AM »

To follow Mr Pogue's Post,  Brook Benton questions. Were you (are you) a fan of Brook Benton BK? If so, what are your favourite tracks. Of course that is so I can mention that mine are "The Ties that Bind", "Kiddio", "Rainy Night In Georgia" and of course "Walk On The Wild Side".  Did you like the recordings of Dinah Washington from that period as well?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 02:06:18 AM »

Directions: On our last trip to France, our navigater insisted on using a compass in the car. He kept looking at the map and the compass rather than looking at the signs. (He wasn't invited this year!) I prefer to look at the map before I start off and then I have a good idea first - if I make a wrong turn it is not a big deal. I am usually the driver - particularly when I have to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. The wrong side is the right side to me!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 04:59:37 AM »

Hey, Ben - it's just you and me.
Maybe we could sneak in a cyber kiss?

der Brucer  ::)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 05:11:00 AM »

Ah, but by the time I got to your post (I was reading the end of yesterday's notes), Mr. William F. Orr  entered the picture so now there are three (a kind of William Wyler reference if I had said These Three).

BTW, the aforementioned film will be on Turner Classic on Tuesday 03/30/2004 09:00 AM. Here is a short blurb direct from Turner.

Merle Oberon teamed up with two other Samuel Goldwyn stars, Joel McCrea and Miriam Hopkins, along with first-time Goldwyn director William Wyler to make the first film to demonstrate the legendary "Goldwyn Touch," These Three, in 1936. Although fans of The Children's Hour, the play on which it was based, may be amazed at the sanitizing of the legendary Broadway hit, the film version is in many ways more true to the spirit of the original than its more faithful 1961 remake

Ben

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 05:13:04 AM »

No questions for BK or readers yet.

We have friends from England coming today for an 8 hour layover. They took their grandson to Disney World and are flying out of Newark back to Nottingham. Their plane lands in Newark at 11:30 and they don't leave until 8pm so they will take a short side trip into NYC and we will have lunch and show them some sights and have a merry time.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 05:14:26 AM »

BTW, Kerry, LOVELY pictures of your sojourn to Graae/Callaway land. Thanks for posting them.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 05:56:42 AM »

Getting from place to place:

They don't call me "WRONG-WAY" for nothin'! I always leave lots and lots of extra time for getting lost, going miles out of my way in the wrong direction, and stuff like that. Sometimes I make the trip a day ahead, just to get my bearings, before i have to meet someone at an appointed time.

Direction means absolutely nothing to me. "North" always means "straight ahead" to me (or sometimes, inexplicably, a right turn), since that's where it is on - oh, God, no! - a map, you should forgive the expression. Nope, not good with maps. Seems like, for all my linear-sequential brilliance, when they were handing out the spatial stuff, I was out in the boondocks somewhere, lost, and miles from anywhere.
PennyO

Ben

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 06:03:09 AM »

On the island of Manhattan I have a good sense of direction and I can get around very easily because it's simple to tell north, south, east and west and the city (for the most part, ignore that Greenwich Village area and lower Manhattan and some of that upper part too) is laid out on a grid. Streets run east and west and avenues run north and south. I'm OK in other parts of the world, but I do like to look at a map if I'm not sure. When I went back to London I had to look at the neighborhood maps posted in the Tube stations so we could figure out which way to go once we left the station. Once I know which way I'm going, though, it sticks in my mind and I remember it for years, like a homing pigeon. My first time in London was Christmas of 1984. We stayed in an apartment off of Sloane Square in Chelsea. I hadn't been there in 19 years but when we went back this Christmas, I was able to find the apartment with no problem.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 06:03:22 AM »

Woods and Brucer:

Here are directions I just found in my Bristol Riverside Theatre Hospitality Handbook -- YES! they have one of those for all artists.

I imagine y'all are coming from the south? Anyhow, here is one of 5 sets of directions:

From Philadelphia and South Jersey Bridges via I-95N:
Take I-95 north from Philly to the Bristol exit (#40). Make a right turn onto Rt. 413 S. For about 2 miles, follow under the big stone railroad bridge. Stay in the left lane and go straight through the intersection. Immediately bear right at the fork with the flashing yellow lights. The next traffic light is Mill Street, the main shopping street in town. Make a right onto Mill Street, and follow 4 blocks, and make a left onto Radcliffe Street. Theater is on the right at the end of the block.
PennyO

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2004, 06:05:56 AM »

I have an absolutely miserable sense of direction. I can follow details to the letter if they're well written, but if there's any vagueness about them, you can bet I'll be lost.

I did the musical COMPANY in a city I was completely unfamiliar with, but I had been shown how to get from my house to the theater in this city, and that's all I knew how to do. One night, after rehearsal as I was heading home, I had my mind on the show, and I took one wrong turn. Well, that instituted a 30 minute sojourn through this alien city trying to find my way back to any road that looked familiar. Finally, in desperation, I stopped at a convenience store and asked how to get back to the interstate. I could NOT have been more lost.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2004, 06:23:12 AM »

After you've listened to our own Donald and Noel show, head over to BBC 3 and listen to Stage and Screen. Here is the program for this week

"Edward Seckerson introduces two new Broadway shows: "Wicked" and "The Boy from Oz" plus an interview with the veteran lyricist Betty Comden and a taste of Stephen Sondheim's latest musical, "Bounce".

And here's the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/classical/stagescreen.shtml

DERBRUCER

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2004, 06:27:24 AM »

Well, SWW should be pleased when he arouses:

View out the front door:

der Brucer (stay tuned, more to come; following the BK dictum "Only one picture per post %$#@")

DERBRUCER

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2004, 06:31:01 AM »

A View from the bridge (Dining Room window overlooking back yard, 16 feet below):

der Brucer (don't go 'way)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2004, 06:32:37 AM »

View from the Kitchen stoop!

der Brucer (sometimes 3" is enough!)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2004, 06:34:38 AM »

This is a question for BK and all DRs:

Do you think the movie rating system works the way it was meant to?  For example, a G rating is supposed to mean nothing objectionable for children but it is taken to mean a movie meant for children.  In the first year of the ratings, "A Man For All Seasons" was given a G.  While there is nothing of harm for a child in that excellent film, there is also nothing of interest.  Producers will do anything to avoid a G (adding the word "damn" to "Annie" for example) since moviegoers over the age of about 8 or 9 will not go to a G film.  And now, newspaper ads list such things as "sex" or "violence" with PG-13 or R ratings to try and attract moviegoers who are interested in that sort of thing.  Meanwhile an intelligent film with these sort of things to further the plot --- not for exploitation --- such as "Kids" a few years ago get stuck with an NC-17 which means many theatres will not show them and many newspapers will not accept advertisements for them.

I'm curious about other people's opinion  of this.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2004, 07:06:37 AM »

DR Charles Pogue wrote about last night's AMERICAN IDOL (snipped a bit):

Matt H., I too am rooting for the footballer who, by comparison to the mediocrities and downright awful singers they had on tonight, was certainly among the top two or three.  

I never liked the football player and didn't care for him last night. But it was unfortunate he went first. Because if he had gone last, he would have gotten better comments.

When the judges said the last girl (the brunette) was one of the top 3, they clearly meant: red-head, brunette and hawaiian girl.

Jennifer, I'm mystified why you were pleased by the Hawaiian girl and also why the judges were so relatively kind to her.

I don't recall ever having seen her in the Hollywood shows. I vaguely remember her original audition.

I just liked her personality. I thought she was sweet and I liked her sound. And after hearing the others, I found I actually really enjoyed her performance.

Oh, and to the girl in the blue top, bad attitude and the one thing a professional never does is make excuses!  That sinus infection whine won't wash.  Very bad form.

I disagree. I'm not saying she had a good attitude. But if someone is very sick. I like to know that.

I think it's the football player and red-head and maybe the last girl who I found singularly unspectacular, though the judges seemed to tacitly endorse the Hawaiian, but I'm not sure why.  What is this special vocal quality of hers they're talking about?  I didn't hear it.

It's hard to say who the people will vote in. But I feel that the judges carry enormous weight with what they say.  They loved Hawaii girl. And I'm betting that will be enough to get her in.  I think it will be her and red-head.

Boy, were the brothers ever bad...neither could carry a tune in a bushel basket.  

I thought their original auditions were good. But after seeing them both forget all their words in Hollywood, I was shocked they weren't cut.  And last night they were both terrible. I'm just glad we won't have to see them again.

This grouping has made it easier for others like Scooter Girl (and people from last week's grouping) to get through. Because NONE of the 8 from last night will go to the Wild Card show.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 07:14:52 AM by Jennifer »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2004, 07:06:40 AM »

I'd like to think I have a keen sense of direction.  Yahoo maps sorta work for me, but they have been known to be wrong.  Once I've been somewhere, most likely I won't need a map to get there again, strange memory that way.  WEL - the I agree with you on the movie rating system, and it still boggles my mind that material that has been traditionally geared to children (like Dr. Seuss) can be made into movies with a rating other than a G.  

Disney just bought the muppets and the Bear in the Big Blue House (that's the bear to your left) francise!!!  One move I totally agree with, Bear needs more publicity, SOOOOO much better than that purple dinosaur for our kids.   Go Bear!!!!  

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2004, 07:14:50 AM »

BK, I am very excited about this new Ron Stein CD! I love the NOT OF THIS EARTH CD, and his juvenile delinquent film scores are great! Are you going to have that crazy nightclub number from GIRLS IN PRISON (which stars Diana Darrin and Laurie Mitchell)? What about REFORM SCHOOL GIRL, SORORITY GIRL (starring June Kenney!), DIARY OF A HIGH SCHOOL BRIDE, THE GIRL IN LOVERS LANE...oh wow...so many fun movie scores! I am looking quite forward!

Hey, if you need stills for illustration purposes just holler...I have tons from these films!

Ben

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2004, 07:15:03 AM »

We were scheduled to get some snow but we got nothing (not that I'm complaining). What a difference a couple of hundred miles makes ;-)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2004, 07:35:12 AM »

I spent my high-school years in Denver, where navigation is easy, because the mountains are always to the west--imagine the confusion if I had moved to the other side of the Rockies!

Joe drives, I navigate.  I'm pretty good with maps, but I have found mapquest to be a god-send, because it pinpoints the right area of the map better than searching through twenty little streets on the H-31 grid.

I don't use mapquest's Driving Instructions, mind you.  They always tell me the worst possible way just to leave my house.  But the maps are generally good--except the few cases where a street has different parts in different areas.  Or if I misspell the name of a Long Island town and they guess and send me to Wyoming.

I'm off to visit Joe in the Bastille in a few minutes.

Here is your François Villon picture for today, making nice with Katherine de Vausselles.  (or de Vausseaux, if you don't mind a French joke)
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2004, 07:36:32 AM »

Well, here it is:
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2004, 07:37:18 AM »

I was mystified by the judges' enthusiasm for the Hawaiian girl as she was clearly very nervous and despite one of them saying she sang all the notes, she was clearly off key for some of it. I understand from others who voted for her that her line was busy for much of the night, so I suspect she will go through. I think competing with better singers will finish her, though Kelly Clarkson got better and better as the competition progressed the first year. I think the judges, who said they saw potential, are anticipating the same thing for her.

But what one has the potential to do and what one does is another discussion. Based on her performance last night, I would never put her as the best three singers of last night.

As for the discussion of the girl's illness, what's to say she wasn't making it up as an excuse? Better to know in your own mind and heart if you're not well and not mention it, I think.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2004, 07:38:56 AM »

The wrong side is the right side to me!

The story of my life.

BTW, since you enjoy giving folks the bird our fine feathered friends, the local brouhaha in Rehoboth might be of interest: a local lake is being befouled (no pun intended) by Canadian Geese feces. Well, the City Council's solution - shoot the damn birds - has met with some uproar!

The reportage in the local press is a bit questionable. They report that adult geese eat four pounds of food and create two pounds of fecal matter daily. They also report that the average gander lays 3-12 eggs per year.

My first question is, where does the other two pounds go? If we assume that a goose poops 2 pounds and pees 1.5 pounds per day, that leaves .5 pound left over. So in one year the goose gains 180+ lbs???

My second question deals with ganders laying eggs - now even us city boys know a gander is a guy, and the gals lay the eggs! I am aware that sexing a goose is difficult and frankly disgusting (see University of Nebraka article:

it says "Then insert your index finger into..." - I'll let you read it!

Anyway some alternatives have been offered (courtesy of an organization called GeesePeace):

Hire GeeseChasers LLC who will (for $5000-$50,000 a year) provide you with specially trained boarder (sic) collie who will mimic an Artic fox and chase the geese away. This procedure is aiding if the community practices goose-egg addling (painting the eggs with oil so they don't hatch). Now again, I'm just a city boy, but I hear tell that if a gander catches you fooling around the family nest you'll get a first hand experience of what a real "goosing" feels like.

Then there is a company called FlightControl that paints the grass with Anthraquinone, which makes the grass look funny to the geese and gives them indigestion if they eat it.

The most vociferous of the anti-goose killing crowd is the Chairperson of the local Historic Lewes Cat Society. Strange - cat people defending birds- hooda thunk!

der Brucer (who would rather read about goose control that about the regular Cambodian vs. Mexican gang wars from his last home town)

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2004, 07:41:15 AM »

I despise the MPAA rating system. As WEL said, G ratings which used to mean one thing clearly have come to mean something else now (SWEET CHARITY also garnered a 'G' in its original release.) The old 'X' and now NC-17 have taken on the interpretation of porn rather than simply adult fare, but try to get theaters to book or newspapers to accept advertising for NC-17 films. Totally unfair and makes the ratings system a joke.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up