Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BK VS. THE MACHINES  (Read 26124 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:BK VS. THE MACHINES
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2004, 02:37:30 PM »

Which reminds me of the perfect Hollywood tale. A writer I knew had been slaving away at a pet project of a script for years. It was finally optioned and was going to be produced. Zowie! But (there's always a but) a major rewrite was needed - and not by our scribe, natch. They hired another writer, a woman, to do it.
So a week or two later our sad young scribe is at some party, drinking himself into oblivion to forget the pain, when he gets an emergency call from his agent.  "You're needed right away to do a re-write of a film that goes into production next week! They say you are the perfect one, the only one who can save them." Guess who wrote the script he was asked to rewrite?... The woman who was at that moment rewriting HIS script!

Only in Hollywood.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 02:44:15 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2004, 02:43:22 PM »

Well we have had this discussion before - and at the time, I didn't jump in.  But this I love movies, I want to work in movies, movies are my life....but talk to me about anything made before 1970....just really puts a crick in my pump handle.

Do they realize how dumb that is?  It is like saying...I love history, I want to teach history, history is my life....but I don't want to know about anything that happened before 1970 because it doesn't have anything to do with my life or work NOW!

I wish I could remember which well-known actress--one with an impressive resume filled with many much-admired motion picture performances--tells this story.  She was in a meeting with some wet-behind-the-ears-but-why-should-that-stop-him-from-having-an-attitude "suit" who opened the discussion with, "So.  Tell me what you've done."  Our actress responded, "You go first."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 02:53:55 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2004, 02:52:40 PM »

LOL.....I know I heard a similar story about Miss Shelley Winters who when asked that question opened her big purse and took out her two Oscars.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2004, 02:54:21 PM »

JB-so happy to have you back.   :) How do you like that cute town you live in?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2004, 02:55:24 PM »

DR Panni,

Your story of the writer in Hollywood reminded me of the nephrologist in Maryland. (The nephrologoist's mother was a neighbor.) This took place in a smallish community. The doctor wasn't happy with his receptionist, so he advertised anonymously (and in a rather general manner) in the local paper, using a P.O. Box. He received only one application. It was from the receptionist.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 03:19:47 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2004, 02:57:13 PM »

Yes, let's hear it for the gay agenda.

I don't know about the rest of you....but two more conversions, and I get my toaster!

Jrand -- Don't settle for the toaster.  Three more conversions after those two, and you are in line for the toaster oven.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2004, 03:00:07 PM »

Well we have had this discussion before - and at the time, I didn't jump in.  But this I love movies, I want to work in movies, movies are my life....but talk to me about anything made before 1970....just really puts a crick in my pump handle.

Do they realize how dumb that is?  It is like saying...I love history, I want to teach history, history is my life....but I don't want to know about anything that happened before 1970 because it doesn't have anything to do with my life or work NOW!

Did they have movies before 1970, Uncle Jack???
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2004, 03:04:38 PM »

I think for the first time in a long time I have no DVDs to watch, no cds either and nothing in the vcr. I will probably watch something.
Never stop dreaming.

Jed

« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2004, 03:10:37 PM »

Hello all.  Ugh, what a day.  Definitely earned my money (and then some) with today's job.  I think Tomovoz and MattH would agree that there are some days that a teacher should be armed with a taser and a roll of duct tape for classroom management purposes. :)  I've subbed for dozens of teachers around this valley, and have had mostly great experiences, but this one teacher's classes are consistantly hellish, and I inevitably leave the school with a splitting headache.  It's a day full of junior high choirs, and being a choir director (and the only substitute teacher in the valley whose degree is in music), I hate to leave the director without a music sub, but I don't see any reason to subject myself to his classroom any more.  Alright, just needed to get that out of my system...

Media check...
DVD - Waiting for Guffman
VCR - a 1998 high school production of My Fair Lady with my very own self as Henry Higgins
CD - Assassins OCR

Good vibes, as always, to any and all in need (or not in need, for that matter!).

I'll be E&T for the next couple days... Gonna escape this boring town of mine, and head to my even more boring hometown for the weekend. :)  I'll rejoin the merriment here Sunday evening.  Have a great weekend, y'all!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2004, 03:13:09 PM »

Media-watch (or listen), current rotation:

DVD Player:
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.
Oklahoma, with Jackman
The Lion King 1 1/2

CD Player:
Stephen Schwartz, Uncharted Territory
OCR, Amour
OCR, A New Brain (replacement copy in my hands at last!)
OCR, The Boy From Oz
And Jo Sullivan Loesser, Loesser by Loesser: A Salute to Frank Loesser.  I'm not impressed with this last disc.  JSL is singing, but what I'm hearing is a sheep's bleats.

Reading:
Jewish Thighs on Broadway: Misadventures of a Little Trouper, by Penny Orloff.  Very funny stuff.  I've been reading it aloud to der Brucer while he drives, and it is definately laugh-out-loud material.  

Der B will be listening to my reading tomorrow, as we drive up to see and hear the author with her own take on her material.  If we are conspicuously E&T, that's the reason.  (We'll also be stopping by the Reading Terminal Market on our way, raiding the Spice Shop and the Cookbook Nook and supping at the Down Home Diner.)

I know der Brucer has been scanning in more pics, as he stumbled upon a couple of scrapbooks from my childhood and our travels.  I guess he hasn't gotten around to posting them yet.  He keeps commenting on how skinny I was; he forgets that I was exactly the same skinny fellow when we first met!

S. Woody (who is happier now that he's gained a few pounds)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 03:28:01 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2004, 03:16:37 PM »

Back from meetingland.  Thanks to all for your excellent vibes - they were and are always appreciated.

Welcome back to the darling daughter.

Pogue: I didn't want to say it, but the Jarre score is horrible in the film itself.  Melodramatic and blatant, except for two really lovely dramatic cues that sound nothing like the rest of the score.

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2004, 03:23:53 PM »

I can see the connection Jed between your classroom experience and your Cd player choice. Not easy but eventually I found I could leave the class behind when I walk out the door and go into the next class (with them or anyone) as a fresh person. Some classes can be so different depending upon what time of the day it is and what happened in their previous class. Then again. I have certainly known some classes to be "hell". My teaching was mosly of 15 to 19 year olds.
Has the UK series "Teachers" been shown on TV in the States yet? I certainly identified a lot of the world depicted!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2004, 03:24:43 PM »

Thank you, Michael Shayne for reminding me that I hadn't answered the topic of the day:

DVD Player:  Abbott and Costello, Volume 1 -- Tonight will
                               be Who Done It.

VCR Player:  Angels in America

CD player:  I am still enjoying and savoring a terrifc CD by our
                             very own DR Ann.  Her voice is lovely.  
                             I adore her I Remember.

CD (car):  Annie Get Your Gun -- Still!

A belated welcome to Dan the Man.
And a welcome back to JB, although you left HHW very shortly after I arrived (coincidence, I don't think so!).
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2004, 03:25:20 PM »

Enjoy the break Jed. See you Sunday.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2004, 03:32:22 PM »

And

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vibes~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Each~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

As well as a welcome to Dan-the-Man, and a welcome back to JB!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2004, 03:56:37 PM »

AFter all the discussion, I have decided to watch AIRPORT 1975!

I don't have "1977" or "Concorde" on DVD - although I like "Concorde" a lot.  "AIRPORT 1977" brings out the worst in James Stewart, Jack Lemmon, Christopher Lee AND Lee Grant....and that's a lot of worst.

I like "!975" because of all of its ironies, not the least of which is that a small plane piloted by Dana Andrews crashes into an airliner piloted by Efrem Zimbalist Jr.....and in THE CROWDED SKY in 1960....a jet fighter piloted by Zimbalist Jr crashes into an airliner piloted by Dana Andrews!

Unfortunately my Goodtimes DVD is NOT in surround sound, although my Goodtimes AIRPORT is!

And it is interesting to follow the progression of the "stewardess lands the plane" movies from Doris Day in JULIE to Karen Black in AIRPORT '75 to Lauren Holly in TURBULENCE.  Ms Holly lands her jumbo jet while she wearing just her brassiere and skirt....at least Doris was spared this indignity!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2004, 04:12:54 PM »

I'm trying to straighten out the home environment (I'm picking up HHW-speak). Have you noticed that the smaller the space, the harder to keep neat? I lived in a three-storey house, then a two-storey house in Boulder and both (except for the "teen area") were always organized and spotless. Once in a while, my home-office would get away from me, but not often. I really need order around me to be able to work properly. But in my new domicile - a guest house which is basically two rooms and a bath - I have such a hard time keeping order. All day today, I've been trying to tame the beast and it keeps biting me back.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2004, 04:33:27 PM »

DR Panni - I am reading a biography of Mr Billy Wilder in which your friend Miss Doris Dowling is prominently mentioned.  I had forgotten she played the wisecracking nightclub habitue in THE LOST WEEKEND...what a great little role!  And she was beautiful!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2004, 04:36:41 PM »

In the car CD player: Nothing. It quit working, for the most part. So now I am reduced to listening to THE RADIO.

In the house CD player: I haven't used it in a while, so I don't remember.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2004, 04:42:49 PM »

Or, to quote Mr. Ray Milland in said film, "Natch, Gloria, natch."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2004, 04:55:26 PM »

That's just redick!  LOL

Good idea, TCB!  How many does it take to get the Vertisserie?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 04:57:29 PM by JRand53 »

Jennifer

« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2004, 05:05:43 PM »

DR Jennifer - Around here, most if not all the supermarkets carry at least one brand of low-carb ice cream.  Atkins' Lo-Carb ice cream is even sold at 7-11s - well, 7-11 has a direct tie-in promotion with Atkins.  And, as I mentioned before, I've seen a brand or two in Wal-Mart.  You may have to look for them.  Some stores put them in the "diet" section.  Some put them in the "health food/all natural" section.  And some put them right in with the regular stuff.  My local Ukrop's has the Atkins Endulge right next to the Ben & Jerry's... ah, well.  Happy Hunting!

I will look, but we don't have 7-11s here. And I don't even think most of our grocery stores have diet sections.  We have health food stores, but most don't have a frozen section. But I will definitely check out the ones that do.  This is why I am so interested. This is all new to me.

The Walmart near me didn't even used to sell refrigerated groceries until they rebuilt the store last year.

But I will check the depanneurs and the regular grocery stores. Although I'm embarrassed to say that most of the grocery stores I go to (and they are big ones) don't even seel Ben & Jerrys :(

Thanks very much for your help.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 05:09:21 PM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2004, 05:11:37 PM »

DR Panni: loved your story.

DR Dan: loved your follow-up story.

It is going to snow here, maybe even a lot.  The only good part is that there is a huge amount of snow still in the street from when neighborman put it there last snowfall. So it should be going back where it belongs :)

Panni

« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2004, 05:28:56 PM »

Yes, Jrand53 - Doris Dowling was beautiful. And really smart. Even though she's frail and ailing she still reads voraciously. Last time I saw her I asked what she was reading at the moment and she answered, "Thomas Mann. I reread him once a year."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 05:36:44 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2004, 05:34:18 PM »

Just read that John Michael Hayes, the screenwriter of REAR WINDOW, PEYTON PLACE, TO CATCH A THIEF, THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY, THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, among others (I wouldn't mind having THAT resume) will receive a special award at tomorrow's WGA ceremonies.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2004, 05:39:54 PM »

John Michael Hayes......"Harlow" and "The Carpetbaggers" - he created Carroll Baker the sex bomb!  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2004, 05:43:43 PM »

And what sharp eyed HHW'er can point out the Abbott & Costello connection to Airport, Airport 1975, and Airport 1979?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »

That's just redick!  LOL

Good idea, TCB!  How many does it take to get the Vertisserie?

Well, Jrand, that requires several more conversions, plus some intense oral examinations.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2004, 05:49:40 PM »

John Michael Hayes......"Harlow" and "The Carpetbaggers" - he created Carroll Baker the sex bomb!  

..........sex bomb???  Boy, I wouldn't mind some of that fallout.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2004, 05:52:45 PM »

DR JRand et al.... OK - I must have been absent that day in class... "redick"...

OH, nevermind... I just said it out loud... Gotcha!  Loud and clear!  Solid!  ;D

-Damn!  I want chocolate!  REAL CHOCOLATE!!!!

*And I do have two Special Dark bars in the kitchen (two of the BIG bars - I chop them up and put them in cookies and cakes).
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up