Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BK VS. THE MACHINES  (Read 25144 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BK VS. THE MACHINES
« on: February 20, 2004, 12:04:09 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, so if you are not a machine do feel free to post until the cows come home.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 12:01:59 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:BK VS. THE MACHINES
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 12:16:16 AM »

CDs: Percy Faith "South Pacific"/"The Sound Of Music"
         Soundtrack: "Three Little Words"
         Soundtrack: "The Band Wagon"
DVD: "Passion"

Any comments about the Japanese film "Graveyard Of The Fireflies" would be appreciated. The special edition has just been released in Australia.
The special edition "West Side Story" has at last been issued in OZ too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 12:44:32 AM »

Grave of the Fireflies is excellent, albeit very somber and tragic.  The animation is lovely.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 01:37:40 AM »

I'm very moved by all the good vibes, everyone. You really are a wonderful group of people! I'm very fortunate to have gotten to know you all. And for that I have bk to thank. So than you, Bruce.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 01:40:35 AM by Panni »

Ben

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 04:21:10 AM »

CD at work: The soundtrack of On A Clear Day. I like the Broadway cast so much more but I saw it in the discount store and said to myself, "Self" I said, "Buy this. You can always re-sell it again at another time." So I did.

In the VCR last night's episode of, not Two's Company, but Will and Grace. Anthony isn't feeling well so he stayed home from Dance Class last night and we cuddled on the couch and watched Waiting for God and Two's Company, taping Will and Grace. Also waiting in the VCR is Tuesday's episode of Queer Eye.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 04:21:45 AM »

7:21am on Friday morning and I'm all alone at HHW.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 04:47:43 AM »

No, Ben, I'm moving as well.  I have a deadline on finishing two different projects and I like working early before the phone starts ringing and other distractions can happen.

CD:  Brent Barrett's Kander & Ebb album
       LOTR:  Return of the King
       Andrea Marcovicci's Mabel Mercer album
       Soundtrack:  Nashville

DVD:  Rodgers & Hart:  Love Me Tonight

I may have to drag out the OBC "On A Clear Day" after you mentioned it;  Barbara Harris is so spectacular, I wish she'd recorded more.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 04:57:03 AM »

Agreed. Miss Harris is so good in Clear Day and Apple Tree. I love both of those CDs.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 05:51:36 AM »

Wait!  Stop the presses!  You've heard the rumors, you've been disappointed in the past, but this time it's for real!  The film is in the can and opens next month!

Ben Affleck IS Sweeney Todd!

Kevin Smith directs!

It's twue, it's twue!  (Oh, a Blazing Saddles reference!)  I'm not making this up, folks.   Details will follow.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 06:04:03 AM »

Good luck, Panni! Hope you get the gig.

So, who else is in Todd?????
PennyO

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 06:10:24 AM »

Hey, Y'all!

First, thanks for all the wonderful welcomes!  It's great to be here!  Jose, I'll get to work on my bio as soon as I can filter my life down to 5000 characters.

The CD that's in my PC at home right now would be the LILLIES OF THE FIELD/PLEASURES AND PALACES demo.  Here at work I have The White Stripes' ELEPHANT.

In my DVD player at home is one of the discs from the LOST IN SPACE--THE FIRST SEASON collection.  Everything I know about acting I learned from Jonathan Harris ("Oh, the pain!  The pain!")

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

td

• td
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 06:17:00 AM »

CD:  Brent Barrett's Kander & Ebb album
       LOTR:  Return of the King
       Andrea Marcovicci's Mabel Mercer album
       Soundtrack:  Nashville

I may have to drag out the OBC "On A Clear Day" after you mentioned it;  Barbara Harris is so spectacular, I wish she'd recorded more.

Truly, a gentleman of infinite taste!
I love NASHVILLE's soundtrack and play it often when I'm feeling blue.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 06:23:23 AM »

But first, a word about the Topic of the Day.

VCR: While Joe's away, I've been catching up on all those movies I taped from cable that he has no interest in seeing.  I finally saw Angels in America and was bowled over.  Favorite line, "The man who wrote 'The Star Spangled Banner' knew what he was doing.  He set the word 'free' to a note so high no one could reach it."

But right now, I have a time-shift tape in there with two disappointing movies:

South Pacific with Glen Close, which I really wanted to like, especially since the screen-play is by the man who gave a fair-to-middlin' review in the University of Wisconsin newspaper to my first musical, My Son the Messiah.

I actually think that Glen plays Nelly Forbush quite well, despite being too old and the annoying fact that you don't believe from her accent that she is from anywhere close to Little Rock.  It's Harry Connick Jr. that really irritates me.  He just stands there and says his lines.  Lt. Cable as a lounge singer.  Even "You've Got to Be Taught" sounds like he's riffing "My Way".  I mean, "to hate all the people your relatives hate" should be sung with some emotion, shouldn't it?

Lori Tan Chinn is quite delightful as Bloody Mary, however.  But wot, no "Happy Talk"?  What were they thinking?

And now, on the same tape I'm about half-way through Moulin Rouge.  I suppose anything I could say has been said a hundred times already.  I hate, hate, hate, hate the whole MTV style-over-substance quick cuts, tilted cameras, vomit-inducing steady-cam stuff.  And not too taken with the One from the Heart world-as-digital-painting thing or the shoe-horning of irrelevant pop songs into the story.  But so many of the reviews on imdb say it's "the best musical ever made" and "my favorite love story" that maybe I'm just an old geezer, like Charles Pogue?  Naaah!

Oh, one thing that made the silliness and downright stupidity of the acting and dialogue a bit easier to tolerate was the sudden realization that this is a Feydeau farce!  Now at least that is true to the period.  Of course, I've seen college productions do Feydeau better, but... well, never mind.

--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2004, 06:30:02 AM »

Okay, not to leave you all in antici

pation about Sweeney Todd, let me tell you what I read on a list-server I subscribe to from someone who saw a pre-release version of Jersey Girl.

Ben Affleck's little girl wants to see Cats, but he takes her to Sweeney Todd instead.  She is so taken by it that she wants to do "God, That's Good!" in her school's talent show.  The school authorities okay it, figuring it's a hymn or something.

So the number is staged with Affleck as Sweeney, his little girl as Mrs. Lovett and George Carlin in the barber chair.

This is to be Affleck and JLo's first bomb after their previous bomb, but I for one want to see it just for the Sweeney.
--Wayland Flowers

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2004, 06:32:24 AM »

Car Cd player:  Liz Callaway.  No surprise there.

Maureen McGovern singing an album of Alan and Marilyn Bergman songs.  Some nice stuff.

Anthony Perkins (thanks again Tomovoz)

Nothing in the VCR until I can be certain it won't eat it.
(Sorry Michael).

Between last week and this week, various machines have rebelled against me.  The problem is that I think most of them are new and then realize how many years they've been around. But if you buy a good VCR (let alone several over the years-- including two Betas)--- shouldn't that be enough?   Like a refrigerator (knock on wood).  We NEVER had to replace the refrigerator when I was little.  The Hi-Fi system was always fine too.  Other than going from black and white to color, TV's stayed around for decades.

A our new (and welcome) Dan-the Man said so aptly,  "Oh the pain!  The pain!"

Somewhere once there was a sight where you could come up with a Jonathna Harris put-down.  
There wss a list of adjectives, nouns, etc.  so that you could to could sy things like "You bumbling, crumbling heap of iron are as much help to me as .... "well you get the idea
It was funny in how many they were (and yet sounded so alike).  Plus you could just HEAR them being said.

I've got me a stack o' CD's to play and a short drive to work.  Hmmmm-- is that a metaphor?   A euphemism perhaps?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 06:33:30 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2004, 06:54:25 AM »

LOL, Kerry! Van Williams awaits you! I have gone through so many VCRs it is pitiful. But thankfully they are so cheap now it isn't a big deal anymore...but it would be nice if they lasted a bit longer then they seem to!

DVD player: JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER with hilarious commentary by Joe Bob Briggs (this of course is the film that Cal Bolder is best known for). Also, Abbott and Costello's WHO DONE IT and BUCK PRIVATES.

VCR: Hmmm...nothing I guess. I didn't tape a single thing all week.

CD: Various Bollywood soundtracks and a 3 CD set of Tchaikovsky's THE SLEEPING BEAUTY courtesy of DR Elmoore3003.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2004, 07:47:31 AM »

Re: Barbara Harris.  I agree she is wonderful (who can forget her in Robert Altman's NASHVILLE?), but she was also one of the first divas who refused to play eight  performances a week (her matinee replacement in THE APPLE TREE was Phyllis Newman).  Her co-stars Alan Alda and Larry Blyden had parts just as large and complex as hers, yet they managed to do all eight shows weekly.  At least it was announced in advance that Ms. Newman was playing the matinees as opposed to today when stars take off regularly but it is kept secret (except for whoever is playing Christine in POTO).

CD - A collection of Gertrude Lawrence songs covering her entire career.  I have to say that based on these recordings, I don't know what was so special about her.  Even the CD booklet claims that she wasn't much of a singer and you had to see her in person to appreciate her (much like Jolson).

VHS - Nothing.

Cassette - 20 episodes of a late 40s radio series "Broadway Is My Beat".  It has nothing to do with Broadway theatre.  It's about a detective in the Times Square area.  The ethnic stereotypes are amazing.

DVD - I've saved the best for last:  Mark Hamill's COMIC BOOK - THE MOVIE.  Like BK with TFNM, Hamill wrote, directed, co-produced and stars in this mockumentary about a comic fan who is upset that his favorite classic comic character is about to be trashed by a film studio that is turning the comic into a movie.  Much of this was filmed at the 2002 San Diego ComicCon, the world's largest comic convention.  Hamill is nothing like Luke Skywalker in this film.  He is a delight.  The majority of the supporting characters are played by some of today's top cartoon voices.  In addition there are cameos (some as characters, some as themselves) by people like Sid Caesar, Jonathan Winters, Hugh Heffner, Stan Lee and a slew of comic book creators.  This is a 2 disc set with many extras ranging from the usual "Making of..." and outtakes to a panel discussion from ComicCon featuring the cartoon voices that appear in the movie.  My only question is why Miramax released this direct to video instead of giving it a theatrical release first.  This is every bit as funny as the Christopher Guest mockumentaries and is not just for the rabid comic book fan.  I highly recommend this DVD.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2004, 08:01:35 AM »

Gertrude Lawrence on film isn't much to write home about either. She's badly miscast and totally mediocre as Amanda in the film of THE GLASS MENAGERIE.

Media alert:

CD - AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (original soundtrack)

VHS - ROCK PRETTY BABY (courtesy of DR JRand)

VDR - Wednesday's SMALLVILLE
          MOVE OVER DARLING (Fox Movie Channel)
          KEEN EDDIE (Tuesday night)

and will be adding MONK and HIGH ANXIETY tonight since I won't be here to watch/record live.

DVD - Chaplin's MODERN TIMES followed by ANGEL - Season 1.

Whew!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2004, 08:04:15 AM »

Here's something weird. I just got the DVD of the 1951 SHOW BOAT which Warners issued with a mono soundtrack.

But my Turner/MGM laserdisc is Dolby Surround Stereo! (It even offers the option of listening to Annette Warren's or Ava Gardner's vocals for Julie's songs.)

If stereo surround tracks are available, why in the name of thunder wouldn't Warners put them as an option on the DVD! I am furious about this.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 08:07:01 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2004, 08:26:41 AM »

As I recall, Warners merely rereleased the old MGM Showboat (maybe I'm wrong about this) but in any case, it was released early on in the days before they were doing anything special.  I'm sure they'll revisit all the MGM musicals.  And, of course, Showboat was a mono film originally.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2004, 08:27:46 AM »

Oh, and you know, I rarely ask for them, but I really could use some of our potent Hainsies/Kimlets good vibes coming in my direction for a variety and also a hollywood reporter of reasons.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2004, 08:33:01 AM »

DR William Orr, I too was appalled by the MOULIN ROUGE musical numbers.  I couldn't believe it was by the same man who did STRICTLY BALLROOM, but in his Broadway version of LA BOHEME, he set the third act at the borders of Belgium, not the gates to Paris that Puccini requests.  Clearly he's having a hard time with both geography of France and geography of a dancer's body.  Then, again, maybe the choreography in MOULIN ROUGE was so bad that it had to be cut up into little fragments so no one would notice.  He should be forced to watch all the Fred and Ginger and Gene Kelly movies to learn how a number should be photographed.
What's hip today may not be tomorrow, and I think MOULIN ROUGE wil be badly dated by its music video influence.   I could be wrong; I've been wrong before.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2004, 08:38:09 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GOOD VIBES TO OUR OWN BK
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2004, 08:38:38 AM »

Playing at my home is a remake of THEM! Yes, my house has been taken over by ants. This has been going on now for several months but it seems to be getting worse instead of better, despite all of the poison I have been putting out! Last night one of the little buggers bit me and now I have an ever enlarging red spotted welt growing on my forearm. It is all driving me bonkers, as these guys are now everywhere. I guess it is time to spray!

BK, I was having trouble sending AOL e-mail the other day as well. It would take forever for it to send once I hit the send button, and then it would act like it wasn't sent even though it was. That seems to happen every now and then, but I don't know why.

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2004, 08:40:26 AM »

Well, here are various and sundried good vibes for BK!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  :)   ;)   :D   ;D   :o   8)   :-*   8)   :o   ;D   :D   :)   ;)  [/move]  

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2004, 08:48:02 AM »

Well, DR MBarnum, the only thing to do when THEM invade is to sing a rousing chorus of "Make Me a Sergeant, Gimme the Booze!"
--Wayland Flowers

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2004, 08:48:52 AM »

BK,  love, best wishes and good vibes always!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2004, 08:55:24 AM »

Good Vibes BK¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2004, 08:56:43 AM »

Good Vibes to BK!!

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~ :) ~ ;) ~ :D ~ ;D ~ :-* ~[/move]

In my CD Player:  "The Stephen Schwartz Songbook" produced by our very own BK and Debbie (Shapiro) Gravitte's "The MGM Album" ALSO produced by our very own BK!!
~~more vibes~~
The reason I'm listening to these is because BOTH Stephen Schwartz AND Debbie Gravitte are going to be here in Olympia TOMORROW!!  They are performing at the Washington Center for the Performing Arts and I'm ushering for this show.  I can't wait!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 08:57:42 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2004, 08:56:44 AM »

Either I'm getting seriously old, or else there's so much scintillating discussion here I can't keep track of it.  So here are various replies and/or further questions:

To whoever mentioned DVD soundtrack "whoosh":   I have this phenonmenon on my DVD of Lola Montez.  Does anyone else who has this DVD experience the same thing?  I couldn't finish watching, it was so bad.

To MBarnum and BK:  we had exactly the same thing happen with our email, and it of course happened exactly when my wife had to send a very time-critical business email from home.  Almost On Line strikes again!!

To Tomovoz:  I found the "special edition" DVD of WSS sadly less than special.  They could have crammed a LOT more on those DVDs, IMHO.  :)  (But of course there will be a Very Special 3 DVD version out soon, anyway, so not to worry).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 08:58:04 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up