Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BK VS. THE MACHINES  (Read 25423 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:BK VS. THE MACHINES
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2004, 10:39:13 AM »

DR Jay, moving Act 3 to the Franco-Belgian border means that poor Mimi, exhausted by tuberculosis-consumption, has to travel a helluva lotta miles to find Rudolpho and indulge in a quartet and wonderful duet, not to the city limits which seems more sensible for a dying woman.   Logistically, it's ridiculous and I find no justifiable reason for it, although I think most of the staging worked quite well.   Why not move Act 3 to the Riviera and put everyone in bathing suits?  It wouldn't fit the bleak sound of the score, but it's maybe more picturesque than Belgian and it might have been set at the Cannes Film Festival, which would fit the director's Hollywood approach.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2004, 10:40:01 AM »

OH!!

GOOD VIBES TO BK!
   GOOD VIBES TO BK!!
        GOOD VIBES TO BK!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2004, 10:42:34 AM »

Dear Reader RLP:

What's so wonderful?  First you slice an anion...
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Emily

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2004, 10:43:13 AM »

Vibes to me please!

I have my first sociolinguistics midterm in 45min and am getting slightly worried about this one...

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ben

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2004, 10:45:31 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vibes to Miss Emily
~~~~~~~~~~~~

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2004, 10:45:47 AM »

Good socioliguistical vibes:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D  :D  :o  8)  ::)  :-*  ;)  :D  :) ;D  :-*  8)  :o[/move]

Thanks JRand for the ant suggestions. I will try the lemon juice.

Jose, no, I haven't contacted an exterminator as of yet. Just can't afford it! I am slightly poor.

Ben

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2004, 10:46:08 AM »

Who decided that the tilde means vibes anywhoo?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2004, 10:46:18 AM »

In re-writing throes still, so not watching much of anything.  On the turntable: THE DAMNED soundtrack.

William F. Orr brings up an interestng topic:  Greatest Love Stories...I have yet to see Moulin Rouge.  Know I should, but there is something about all that MTV flash about it that just scares me away.  

But I'd be curious to know what are people's favourite love stories.  I've always been a sucker for LOVE LETTERS and RANDOM HARVEST and PENNY SERENADE (for which Cary Grant should've won an Academy Award...though Coop's pretty darn good in Sgt. York).  And I think I may have mentioned that CYRANO DE BERGERAC may be my favourite play of all time and is certainly one of the greatest love stories ever.  There is a brilliant version on tape starring Derek Jacobi.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2004, 10:49:50 AM »

DR Noel:  And that reminds me of a lyric I wrote--or at least one line (from "My Father's Son"):

He called me a pile of useless sh*t.

Puzzle:  What is the secret message that is hidden phonetically in his father's words?

WFO: I love you.

And I agree, nothing quite beats Barbara Harris in those two wonderful Broadway musicals on CD.

There's been much pleasure, this week, in hearing from people who've heard The Broadway Radio Hour with Donald Feltham on this here site.  http://www.haineshisway.com/radio/

We've been discussing the best of Baz, and the worst of Baz.  La Bohéme is stunning, brash, and faithful to the composer's intentions.  Moulin Rouge is the only film musical I can think of that I truly hated.  Turned my stomach, in fact.  All the notes it hits are false.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2004, 10:54:21 AM »

DR Jay, moving Act 3 to the Franco-Belgian border means that poor Mimi, exhausted by tuberculosis-consumption, has to travel a helluva lotta miles to find Rudolpho and indulge in a quartet and wonderful duet, not to the city limits which seems more sensible for a dying woman.   Logistically, it's ridiculous and I find no justifiable reason for it, although I think most of the staging worked quite well.

I see your point, Dear Reader elmore 3003.  Still, there's that nasty bout of singing the poor thing needs to do in Act IV.  But, hey, it's opera.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2004, 10:58:42 AM »

DR Jose -- I would personally recommend the Abbott and Costello collection.  So far, I have only watched Hold That Ghost,  but I was very pleased with the quality of the print; and at under $20.00 for eight films, the price can't be beat.  I am hoping to pick up the Airport collection next month.  I think I will pass on the Ma & Pa Kettle collection.  I never did find them funny, even when I was a young kid.  When I was little, we lived on Vashon Island in Puget Sound, and there was a real Ma & Pa Kettle family that lived there.  Seeing the reality of their lifestyle, took a lot of the humor out of the movies for me.  I never did know if that was the same family that Betty McDonald wrote about in her books.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2004, 10:59:29 AM »

DR MBarnum

If ants are creating a problem in your indoor living area, find the source of entry and place a fresh bay leaf or two at the place of entry. The pests will soon go elsewhere.

Note: Do not reuse the bay leaves in Mexican or any other pot roast.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2004, 11:01:52 AM »

Was just watching Ms. Harris on TCM in a bit of A THOUSAND CLOWNS.  Boy, is that a movie that is so sixties-ish.  A classic example of "let's open this up for film."  Full of extraneous, busy-work movement and quick-cut interludes of the big city of New York.  But the best, most involving scenes are still the ones in the apt. where people are just speaking the dialogue.

Just saw the lovely scene between Robards and William Daniels.  Daniels scene.  How often do you see that in a movie any more?  A scene between a supporting player and the star that actually goes to the supporting player.  A scene where the antagonist is actually moving and sincere and touching and you see his point-of-view.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2004, 11:05:05 AM »

DR Jay, you're right about all the singing in Act 3.  She sort of gets a rest in Act 4, but it takes a lot of power to get those pianissimos across the footlights.  Outside of Violetta in TRAVIATA and the eponymous MANON, how many other consumptive ladies are there in opera?  Anna Russell used to do a mean parody of consumptive divas in Anemia's Death Scene.  I wonder if that's been transferred to CD; almost all of her recordings have been, but Columbia (Sony) has omitted some items so far.

I have a friend who was in the Broadway production of LA BOHEME; I'll ask him if Baz ever justified the move of Act 3's geography.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2004, 11:06:34 AM »

DR Noel:
WFO: I love you.

Please, sir!  You are still a newly-wed!

But right you are.

Now can someone tell me how to do a quote where it identifies the quotee (or is that the quotee with the goatee?) and the time of the quoted post?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2004, 11:08:40 AM »

I see your point, Dear Reader elmore 3003.  Still, there's that nasty bout of singing the poor thing needs to do in Act IV.  But, hey, it's opera.

On the other hand, they agree to make up and be friends.  She later takes up with a wealthy man and is seen riding through the streets in a fine carriage.  Then, when she's so sick she gets dumped, she runs back to Rodolpho.

I say she was quite well enough to take a train to the French/Belgian border.  It's not like she WALKED all the way. :)  Besides, her illness waxed and waned.  And more importantly, she didn't know she was dying.  She might very well have taken a train to find her great love.

The location of where that scene is set shows that Rodolpho was serious about getting away from her -- that she maddened him so much he needed to put some distance between them.  The gates of Paris wouldn't be that much distance.

The bottom line:  The music is not changed by a single note, and as Jay says, it's OPERA!  Please don't let's start talking about holes in plots of operas.

It's a glorious production.  I saw it in San Francisco, too, Jay!  It was one of the seminal theatrical experiences of my life.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 11:09:39 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2004, 11:09:00 AM »

I am watching "Ode to Billy Joe" - Robby Benson and Glynnis O'Conner make such a fetching couple and I love the location photography.....   :D

Bay leaves are easier than lemon juice DR MBARNUM....sounds like a better and easier suggestion!

Rainy day here - better than snow.

DRCHARLESPOGUE - well William Daniels  :P.  My favorite love story movie is 'Love Is a Many Splendored Thing' although I am getting partial to 'Bonjour Tristesse' as well.

And your post made me laugh....suppose someone misplaced the CD you are listening to...and you had to go around the house ranting...."Where's my Damned soundtrack?"

Such good news about Kritzer Time  - I am in line already for the pre-order!  ;D

And just because it's Friday....here is another Allison Hayes picture.  This time a lobby card from Hong Kong Confidential featuring Bat Masterson himself.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2004, 11:13:02 AM »

Dear Reader RLP:

What's so wonderful?  First you slice an anion...

LOL.  It took me a while to "see" what the heck you were referring to....but then it gobsmacked me!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2004, 11:15:58 AM »

Yes, PENNY SERENADE is one of the great love stories! What a wonderful movie that is!

I also think that ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS is a good one. I am sure more will come to mind.

Ok, I will go to the store and buy some bay leaves and see what happens! Thanks for the suggestions!

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2004, 11:16:26 AM »

DR WFO:  When you go to a particular message and hit "quote" (you should see it in the top right hand corner of every message), it automatically adds the original poster's name.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2004, 11:18:13 AM »

And just because it's Friday....here is another Allison Hayes picture.  This time a lobby card from Hong Kong Confidential featuring Bat Masterson himself.

To Hell with Bat Masterson!  That is Amos Burke.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2004, 11:24:47 AM »

Good mid-term vibes to DR Emily ~~~~~~~~~~~

DR Jose: re: the low carb ice cream, are you able to find it in your city at regular grocery stores?

Re: Moulin Rouge, I did not like the very beginning of the movie (made me very dizzy).  But I absolutely LOVED it after the initial scene.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2004, 11:25:30 AM »

Oh, and you know, I rarely ask for them, but I really could use some of our potent Hainsies/Kimlets good vibes coming in my direction for a variety and also a hollywood reporter of reasons.

I had planned to send good vibes for your machine woes, however,

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES FOR EVERYTHING!![/move]

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2004, 11:26:12 AM »

And another thing:  if she's so sick and it's so cold outside, why the $%!&# does Mimi leave her stupid pink bonnet/beret under her pillow at home instead of wearing it in Act III?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2004, 11:34:05 AM »

And another thing:  if she's so sick and it's so cold outside, why the $%!&# does Mimi leave her stupid pink bonnet/beret under her pillow at home instead of wearing it in Act III?

Why do a lot of young people do such things?  I certainly used to defy the elements...didn't want a hat 'cause it would mess up my hair....didn't want to wear a winter coat 'cause it didn't look as good with my jeans as the lighter jacket.

Has anyone seen the recording of the Australian production of Luhrmann's "La Boheme"?  It's pretty darned wonderful.  David Hobson's Rodolpho is amazing.

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2004, 11:37:34 AM »

Don't forget DRs, PEYTON PLACE on DVD March 2!

I do hope they release RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE eventually...that is the one that I really like!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 11:38:46 AM by MBarnum »

Jane

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2004, 11:38:14 AM »

Vibes to me please!

I have my first sociolinguistics midterm in 45min and am getting slightly worried about this one...

A bit late, but good vibes and hope the test went well. :)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2004, 11:42:07 AM »

This should cheer up some folks:

Attack of the Gay Agenda

der Brucer (it takes time to load, but it's fun to watch)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2004, 11:47:49 AM »

CD: The Music of Bruce Kimmel
DVD Nowhere in Africa, we just finished Under the Tuscany Sun
TIVO Kull the Conqueror

MBarnum if you get bitten again, spray immediately with Benedryl.  It reduces the swelling.

Behind the deli counter gross situation: long hair falling into the food while scooping it out for my eating pleasure. :P

CharlesPogue PENNY SERENADE, though very sad, and CYRANO DE BERGERAC are great choice, I think my favorite is CASABLANCA.   And now my mind has HAS PRACTICALLY gone blank, RAMONA & LORNA DOONE are in my head.  I thought the books were wonderful love stories but think the movies were lacking something.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 12:03:04 PM by Jane »

Charles Pogue

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2004, 11:57:35 AM »

Oh, Jane, please!  Take Kull the Conqueror off Tivo now!  What a ruined movie that is!  The original script was full of the dark, brooding prose style of Robert E. Howard and it got turned into a cartoon (The estate and L. Sprague DeCamp loved the original script).  I was trying to do a serious turn with fantasy ala Lord of The Rings...(not only tried, but had succeeded) and through a long story of incompetence and venal betrayal, it became a rolling juggernaut of illogic.  Surely you have better ways of wasting two hours of your valuable time.  It is the eviscerated carcass of a once-glossy-hided beautiful beast.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up