Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BK VS. THE MACHINES  (Read 25447 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:BK VS. THE MACHINES
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2004, 08:56:46 AM »

Beloved Bk:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes [/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [/move] [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [/move] [move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [/move][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [/move]
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2004, 09:01:59 AM »

Good vibes to BK and all those who need them:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I suspect Warners will eventually revisit SHOW BOAT. Certainly if they remixed SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to DD 5.1, they could do the same for SHOW BOAT.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 09:03:17 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2004, 09:12:09 AM »

Good vibes for BK ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(but I will keep them still, cause the moving ones make me dizzy!)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2004, 09:27:45 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]The best vibes ever to you, BK[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Positive ion vibes for good things[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Negative ion vibes to counteract the bad[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]And anion vibes because I've always wanted to do something with the word "anion"[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&[/move]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2004, 09:32:44 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]The goodest of good vibes to Mr. bk!!![/move]

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2004, 09:35:08 AM »

The other week there was a discussion about germs and touching various public utensils...well you know what really grosses me out (as my co-worker is doing this at this very moment...very noisely, by the way), when people (and I know many people do this) lick their fingers as they are counting papers or money. I see a lot of cashiers do this. Don't they know all the germs that are on money! I have never been a finger licker, and it is just something that totally grosses me out when I see (or in this case, hear) people do it.

Ok, I feel better now that it is off of my chest! LOL!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2004, 09:41:30 AM »

I suppose the saving grace of these very long days (13 hours yesterday, no break at all in the first seven hours), is that there's evidence that a whole bunch of people find me indispensable.  Of course, they're wrong, but it's better than feeling that nobody needs you.  Reminds me of a song I wrote with a composer:

She thinks I'm good
Of course she's wrong
I'm a worthless piece of s**t
But I want her around
Now that I've found
Someone who thinks I'm good

She thinks I'm smart
Of course she's wrong
I'm a functional idiot
With half of a mind
But I'm happy to find
Someone who thinks I'm smart

How can I love a woman so much
Who's so wrong about so much?
Well, if she's wrong
As wrong can be
At least she's wrong about me

She thinks I'm sexy
(spoken) She got that right.

Glad George got the Marcy & Zina songbook.  I knew these talented ladies before they knew each other, and much of their work is very bright.  Songs like The Morning After (Leave) and Baltimore achieve that rare songwriting goal of sounding exactly the way people talk.

A welcome to my fellow refugee, Dan the Man.  You'll like HainesHisWay... People DO discuss musicals here, but please don't ever seem to imply that seeing a show is a better way of appreciating a show than hearing its recording: that's just plain elitist.   ::)

Re: DR Charles Pogue on Playboy: Wait...  there's articles???
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2004, 09:45:07 AM »

MBarnum: LOL.   Nailbiters, too, get more than they bargain for each time they take a nibble.

And just imagine -- there are folks out there who like to suck on toes!!!!

Yuck.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2004, 09:48:23 AM »

The other week there was a discussion about germs and touching various public utensils...well you know what really grosses me out (as my co-worker is doing this at this very moment...very noisely, by the way), when people (and I know many people do this) lick their fingers as they are counting papers or money. I see a lot of cashiers do this.

Don't they know all the germs that are on money!

I was the one who originally brought up the topic of germs (cause I saw an expert discussing it on tv).

Money was actually one of things he brought up.

Do you know I never thought about how dirty money was.

I'm trying to remember exactly what he said about money (but maybe we should wash our hands after touching it?).

One thing I do remember is that he was very strict about people in cafeterias or fast food places touching food and then touching the money.

He said to watch the people. And if they use gloves to prepare your food, they need to take them off when they touch the money.

He said you should never let someone who has touched the money, then go back and touch the food (without putting on new gloves ...).

I will have to watch this from now on. Although I'll bet these people would throw fits if we complained.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 09:51:25 AM by Jennifer »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2004, 09:57:50 AM »

Good vibes to our beloved host, Dear BK!

May the production gods shine the brightest green luminescence upon Dear Reader Panni's project!

A belated welcome to new Dear Reader Dan (the Man)!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2004, 09:59:18 AM »

I have never been a finger licker...

How about toe-sucking?

Tom (of ROOLAND fame) has neighbors who are Toe Sucking Cowgirls

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2004, 10:05:28 AM »

...maybe I'm just an old geezer, like Charles Pogue?  

Do you pass the Charles Pogue old geezer test:

Do you order Playboy just to beat your breast?

der Brucer (who firmly believes breasts should pounded, not beaten)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2004, 10:08:20 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good vibes to our wonderful BK!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2004, 10:08:48 AM »

Dear BK:

Good vibes on dealing with a plethora of debacles.

Press 2 to listen to Guy Haines singing Good Vibrations.

Press 3 to send a stink-bomb to your least favorite Music Publisher

Press 4 to end this post(er)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2004, 10:09:01 AM »

Some random thoughts...

Am I the only person who has no desire whatsoever to the the Mel Gibson Jesus movie?  

I understand that there is a rumor going around (alredy denied but that's where I hear most rumors - when someone denies them) that claims that once David Gest's divorce with Liza is final he plans to marry Diana Ross.   Who starts these things?

Apparently DROWNING CROWS got awful reviews (and has half the audience leaving at intermission).  What happened to MTC?  They have had three bombs so far this season, and their theatres in the basement of City Center sit empty so they can fill their Broadway theatre.  They used to be one of the best companies in New York.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2004, 10:13:16 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES TO BK - ALWAYS![/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES TO BK - ALWAYS![/move]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 10:28:19 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2004, 10:16:51 AM »

Good Afternoon!

-I would have made it to Good Morning, but I slept in again today.  I guess having a "normal" day yesterday kind of tuckered me out. ;)  But I'm up now, had my breakfast, and as soon as "Y&R" is done, then I'll head outside.  It's a glorious day here in Richmond!  Sunny, clear blue skies, temp in the 60s!  Gorgeous!  And I should get outside and enjoy it.  Hmm.. Maybe I'll go take a run, well, at least a fast walk.  Or I could even walk over to Maymont and look at all the animals - maybe the bears will be out today.  Ah, the possibilities...

In any case....

CD Player: Juan Diego Florez, "Una Furtiva Lagrima"  - Bellini and Donizetti Tenor Arias.  Yes, his vibrato can be a little too-too at times, but his vocal dexterity is simply stunning in places.  And those high notes - B-flats, Bs, and even those high C's in the aria from "La Fille du Regiment" just "ping" and ring.  :)

There were some other CDs I was hoping to get to this week, but I kept going back to NPR, so....  However, I did share my some Jason Graae and Brent Barrett CDs with a friend of mine.  So...

DVD: Nothing - But I'm seriously considering adding those Abbott & Costello and Airport boxeds sets to my shelves.

VHS: Various episodes of "Trading Spaces," "While You Were Out," and "In a Fix" for a certain DR who has been E&T lately due to work, auditions and callbacks. ;-)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2004, 10:20:13 AM »

I had a post but my power went out!  >:(

Of course it was the BEST post ever.  But I will just start over.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES TO MR BK!!!  ;)[/move]

In my DVD - Under the Tuscany Sun  Diane Lane and the scenery are BEAUTIFUL!!   ;D

CD:  My Name Is Jack - a delicious compilation from TomOvOz!

VCR:  Lucy-Desi Westinghouse Special, a sales promotion film made for the 1960 season!  Not very interesting or good.

DRMBARNUM - they say that lemon juice - pure NOT SWEETENED will keep ants away....but you might check the internet ... I have heard even a line of flour can help.

Here is an interesting headline from the past:

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2004, 10:20:49 AM »

And then....maybe this is where the confusion started.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 10:22:02 AM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2004, 10:22:42 AM »

Oh, and as for BK vs the Machines.....

"Why don't you get out of here, Finchley?"

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2004, 10:24:06 AM »

Lori Tan Chinn is quite delightful as Bloody Mary, however.  But wot, no "Happy Talk"?  What were they thinking?

DR WFO - Lori was my Bloody Mary two years ago at Arena Stage.  Such a wonderful person!  And since Baayork Lee was our choreographer we ended up having an original cast member from the original productions of The King & I and Flower Drum Song in the rehearsal hall.  *And she also very sweetly thanked me when she accepted her Helen Hayes award.  Her very well-deserved Helen Hayes Award.  -And, I guess something must be in the air, since I just got an e-mail from here this morning!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2004, 10:26:17 AM »

I was at the Ahmanson Theatre last night, Dear Readers, taking in Baz Luhurman's production of Puccini's La Boheme.  This is the second time I've seen this production, as I saw it in San Francisco before it made its way to Broadway.

As I did the first time, I enjoyed it quite a bit.  The resetting of the piece to the 1950's works for the most part, and although the projected translation is stretched now and then to reflect the updated context (the piece is sung in its original Italian), the actions on stage are quite faithful to the original libretto.  (This often is not the case with "updated" productions of operas found in otherwise respectable opera houses.)  Dear Reader elmore 3003 earlier today noted his displeasure with the relocation of Act III to the Franco-Belgian border, but this did not bother me at all.

My greatest impression of the show is that it proves that great things can happen--even with a much produced warhorse such as La Boheme--when the director is thoughtful and clever in his direction while respecting the innate drama of the work at hand AND is provided ample rehearsal time with skilled singer/actors.  Was this the best sung Boheme I've heard?  No.  But the singing was respectable and the Mimi was particularly effective and touching in Act III.  Was this the most handsome set of Bohemians I've seen?  Undoubtably yes.

The production has its quirks, its most notable one being that all the stage machinery and special effects and scene changes are carried out in full view of the audience.  The sets and costumes are all quite appropriate, though, and the opening of Act II (a large crowd scene on a Parisian street on Christmas Eve) is nothing short of spectacular.

The amplification was acceptable and improved from San Francisco.  I was seated in Row F of the orchestra, and given the tone of the singing voices and my ability to determine from where on the stage the voices were emmanating, I do believe I was hearing sound that was only minimally amplified.  People sitting in the back or in the balcony may have had a different impression.  Producers of more standard Broadway musical fare could take some lessons from this show's vocal sound design.

I was less pleased with the sound of the orchestra.  It was quite plain that it was amplified and in rather muffled fashion at that.  That the pit band is much shrunk from what Puccini's score demands is my biggest gripe against this show.  The strings sound quite thin at places where they need to sound lush, lush, lush.  (That is three lushes.)  And the bells near the beginning of Act III sound like a kiddie toy.

I'm not sure if this La Boheme is touring after it leaves L.A.  It was originally scheduled for this summer, but got here when it did only because the slot it is filling in the Ahmanson's schedule was left unexpectedly open when Never Gonna Dance broke contract to grab a house on Broadway and La Boheme announced its unexpectedly early close on the Great White Way.  If La Boheme does come your way, I would encourage you to see it, Dear Readers.  Opera buffs like me will enjoy it, and it is a great introduction to the art for those who have never attended an opera.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 10:49:33 AM by Jay »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2004, 10:26:39 AM »

DR MBarnum - Just be sure to keep an eye on the "progress" of your ant bite(s).  Can't be too careful where insect and bug bites are concerned.

Have you called an exterminator?
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2004, 10:27:19 AM »

I understand that there is a rumor going around (alredy denied but that's where I hear most rumors - when someone denies them) that claims that once David Gest's divorce with Liza is final he plans to marry Diana Ross.   Who starts these things?

Actually, WEL, the rumor I heard was, when the divorce is final, that it is Liza who will be marrying Diana Ross.  Apparently, Liza thinks it will be a perfect match, because, like all of her other husbands, Diana likes men!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2004, 10:29:37 AM »

As many of my fellow conspiracy prone friends will suggest, there seems to be some linkage between web site "Ads by Goggle" and site content.

When I logged on earlier today (like 4 AM PST) and was reviewing yesterdays thread, I noticed that the ads were for Gourmet Food establishments offering Foie Gras, smoked goose, and other goodies. Now I know Dan-up-there, and Laura-out there, and Me-down here did some posting about geese - but we weren't licking our lips!

I did not resist the urge to check out some of the offerings:

For our dieting friends The Goumet Store offers:

The Perfect Gift

low-carb appetizers

Let them know you're behind them all the way, with a token of appreciation that will delight them and help them maintain their weight-loss resolutions. All these goodies are low in carbs, and excellent for those who want to eat and cook healthily. We've included extra virgin olive oil from Spain for healthy and happy cooking; sumptuous truffle butter, creamy and delicious that will add sophisticated flavor to all their dishes; an ounce of our best-selling Alaskan Salmon Roe caviar, lightly salted and brilliantly colorful, and 4 ounces of our delicate Norwegian smoked salmon to finish off their healthy feast.

17 oz (500 ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Spain by El Sison - qty 1
2.8 oz (80 gr) French White Truffle Butter by Plantin - qty 1
4 oz (113 gr) Norwegian Smoked Salmon–Superior Fossen - qty 1
1 oz (28.5 gr) Alaskan Salmon Roe Caviar Malossol - qty 1

Storing: oil and butter room temperature, Norwegian Smoked Salmon refrigerated/frozen, Alaskan Salmon Roe Caviar Malossol 29-32 F

Shelf Life: oil 2 years, butter 1 year, Norwegian Smoked Salmon 3-4 weeks refrigerated/6 months frozen, Alaskan Salmon Roe Caviar Malossol 4-6 weeks

Ships: 1-3 days

$35

for another $133 you can throw in a small piece (7 oz) of:

Mille-Feuille Goose Liver with 6% Truffles by Rougie
France, Micuit, Goose, Rougie

The jewel of foie gras creations, Mille-Feuille of goose foie gras with truffles expresses the perfect harmony of flavors between goose foie gras and Perigord truffles.

Another delightful site D'Artagnan has a plethora of goodies offered by the proprietor:

der Brucer (who was raised on Liverwurst, but will take a good paté anyday)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2004, 10:29:59 AM »

She thinks I'm good
Of course she's wrong
I'm a worthless piece of s**t

DR Noel:  And that reminds me of a lyric I wrote--or at least one line (from "My Father's Son"):

He called me a pile of useless sh*t.

Puzzle:  What is the secret message that is hidden phonetically in his father's words?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2004, 10:33:50 AM »

Oh, and as for germs... My favorite are people behind the deli counter who wipe their nose with their sleeve then proceed to prepare your food... -Then they wonder why I walked away without picking up my order!?!?!?

But on a related note, I had to stop at 7-11 last week, and I noticed the cashier made sure to wash his hands and/or replace his latex gloves each time he had to run the cash register, make a hot dog and/or pull a pack of cigarettes.  Yes, his pre-cautions were slowing down the line, but at least he was taking them!  *And since there's been a rash of some stomach virus going around in Richmond - most likely the result of food-handling - better safe than sick.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2004, 10:34:53 AM »

And in further Ahmanson Theatre news, it was just announced today that the slot this summer that originally was to have been taken by La Boheme will now be filled by the touring production of Little Shop of Horrors.  No casting has been announced as yet.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 10:45:03 AM by Jay »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2004, 10:35:54 AM »

DVD: Nothing - But I'm seriously considering adding those Abbott & Costello and Airport boxeds sets to my shelves.

DR MBarnum mentiond something about a boxed set of "Angel visits Ma and Pa Kettle"

der "admirer of eclectic tastes" Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2004, 10:38:19 AM »

Oh.... -And then I'll be heading outside...  -And since it hasn't been brought up lately...

Don't Feed The Animals

-Just popped into me head... (Ah, an almost Sweeney Todd reference...)

;) ;) ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up