Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WHIZ  (Read 25512 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE WHIZ
« on: August 15, 2008, 12:18:51 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes whizzed by, and now it is time for you to post until the whizzing cows come home.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 12:25:27 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE WHIZ
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 12:20:02 AM »

And the word of the day is: FUGACIOUS!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 12:25:39 AM »

TOTD
DVD:  The Story Of The Weeping Camel

CD:  Neil Diamond - Home Before Dark
        Duffy - Rockferry
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:28:03 AM »

One interesting thing about watching Splash, which was mostly shot on location in NY, is that Broadway was still lined with movie theaters all throughout Times Square, two or three on every block, this in 1984.  How did it come to pass that in just twenty years' time every single one of them is gone - not one movie theater ON B'way in Times Square, where once, during its heyday, there were probably thirty.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 12:28:54 AM by bk »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 01:06:17 AM »

How did it come to pass that in just twenty years' time every single one of them is gone - not one movie theater ON B'way in Times Square, where once, during its heyday, there were probably thirty.

The value of real estate in an area like today's Times Square is based on income generated per cubic foot. For large volume venues like movie theatre's to be a profitable use of the space would require a movie-going audience no longer available. It just isn't Times Square - look at any other major urban core - the number of theatre structures have greatly declined. Even small towns have lost their cinemas - today's movie watching public heads to suburban malls for the multiplex.

How many movie tickets did you buy a year in 1980? How many last year?

der Brucer    

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 01:28:44 AM »

Well, I'm back from seeing Shrek: The Musical in Seattle.  I went to the FIRST Preview performance!  It was the True World Premier Performance!! :D

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 01:29:44 AM »

It was the first time EVER in front of a live audience! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 01:30:35 AM »

...in its pre-Broadway run in Seattle!!!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 01:30:57 AM by George »

George

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 01:31:13 AM »

I didn't hate it. :-\

George

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 01:41:05 AM »

I enjoyed the performers and the performances.  Everyone sounded great.  Some of the songs were very good, some were pretty good.  None were bad, but it was a long evening, almost (but not quite) three hours.  The kid (late teens) sitting next to me said that he heard from someone involved in the show that the rehearsal performance the night before was three hours and forty minutes long!!  I don't doubt that it'll be shortened by the end of their run.  Young Frankenstein that I saw last year was shortened by more than a half hour by the last Seattle performance.

George

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 01:47:29 AM »

I don't want to adversely influence JulieC40's opinion before she sees it.  See it with an open mind!  The singers are very good and the set pieces and turntable floor are all pretty cool.  Christopher Sieber was very funny as Lord Farquaad.  He was literally on his knees the entire evening (Farquaad is very short)!  He had fake legs attached to his real legs and he walked on his knees.  

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 01:48:28 AM by George »

George

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 01:56:40 AM »

The worst part of the evening was when I was leaving the parking garage.  I had gotten the parking ticket out of my pocket shortly after I left the theater (I don't know why) and by the time I got to my car, I didn't realize that I had dropped it.  I got to the payment gate and that's when I realized that I didn't have the ticket!  Since there were cars behind me and I didn't see it anywhere, I had to pay full price.  Instead of it being the $7 evening special, it was $26! :P

AARRGGHH!! >:(

Tip o' the day:  don't lose your parking ticket. :'(

George

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 01:57:37 AM »

And on that note (E-flat), I'm going to bed.

Good night, all.

singdaw

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 02:15:41 AM »

DR George - thanks for the theatre report!   :)

singdaw

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 02:20:05 AM »

Hello, everyone!  My name's June; what's yours?

Sorry to be so E&T this week.  Yesterday we went walking.  Walked around the UN complex and around the Tudor City neighborhood.  Walked past the studio where Rachel Ray's show is taped.  Then downtown a bit, we walked around the Grammercy Park neighborhood.  We ate lunch in Chelsea, then had a private tour of the Masonic Temple.  So many rooms, each more magnificent than the one before!  Jayson got to play many of the organs [each room has its own].  A quick stop at the Shake Shack capped the day!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:19:24 AM by singdaw »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 03:15:45 AM »

And the word of the day is: FUGACIOUS!
As in the story, "The Randy Vicar and the Fugacious Fig Leaf," of course!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 03:22:03 AM »

Hello, everyone!  My name's June; what's yours?

Well, it sure ain't Sue!

...We ate lunch in Chelsea, then had a private tour of the Masonic Temple.  So many rooms, each more magnificent than the one before!  Jayson got to play many of the organs [each room has its own]....

Was this the Masonic Temple or The Ritz?

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 03:34:25 AM »

TOD:

Book:  I've been leafing through Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn's Charcuterie again.  This because of the rillettes stuff that der B posted yesterday.  The rillettes are in the same chapter that tells how to make confit.  In any case, while it takes a long time for the meats to cook properly, it doesn't at all sound time consuming, when you get into the actual labor involved.  And there's a recipe for pork confit that calls for using boneless pork loin - guess what we've got on sale at the store this week!  Yummers, to quote a friend.

DVD:  The Second Season of EUReKA has a nice bonus featuring the writers, going into how they work on the writing.  I guess that's better than showing them playing ping-pong, since that's what they get paid to do.  What made the bonus bit interesting was that it is about how they're writing the third season, and how the writer's strike has affected the show's production.

And I've about six eps left of the Two Fat Ladies series.  Here's a case of where spoilage, and the knowledge that Jennifer died quite suddenly of lung cancer, can actually add to the viewing - Jennifer giving an odd cough here and there, and Clarissa commenting, when they are visiting a smokehouse, that it must be what Jennifer's lungs look like.

And there's a box of things that I know the contents of, but der B won't be giving me said box until Sunday.  But I know what's in there!  Come out, come out, wherever you are!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 03:57:26 AM »

Workies!  Hasta.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 05:49:49 AM »

I came home from work sick yesterday.  I had some soup and then went to bed (even though it was 92 degrees).  I just got up and I showered so I guess I am off to work.  It is supposed to be 94 degrees today.   :P
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 06:03:03 AM »

Good Morning all.

I am trying to emenate good energy now due to a run-in with someone who shall remain nameless.

That is all

FJL

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 06:23:56 AM »

For the word of the day FUGACIOUS (one definition is fleeting or passing quickly), how about for the song of the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e70MSzqX9Jw

"I'd Do It All Again" - sung by Sam Harris

FJL

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 06:30:22 AM »

Good-energy vibes to Ben

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 06:31:37 AM »

Good morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I may just go back to bed again for a bit...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 06:32:58 AM »

DR singdaw - What was the Frozen Custard Flavor of the Day?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2008, 06:36:20 AM »

Watching on DVD this weekend?

There's a lot of possibilities:

REDBELT
SON OF RAMBOW
THE SMALL BACK ROOM
MOONTIDE
ROAD HOUSE
AN AMERICAN CRIME
Orson Welles' DON QUIXOTE
DEXTER, Season 2
HEROES, Season 2

Decisions.  Decisions.

:-\
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 06:36:26 AM »

DR Ben - ~~~~~GOOD ENERGY~~~~~GOOD ENERGY~~~~~GOOD ENERGY~~~~~

*Hmmm... If you say that three times fast it could be an acting exercise.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 06:40:34 AM »

DR FJL - So... When you get to the Roulette Table:

-Green chips
-5, 5/8, 8, 8/11, 22/23/25/26

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 06:51:51 AM »

Since I suspect some producer types are among the guests here, I hope it's ok to essentially reproduce  a post from All That Chat about the whole Series B of the evening at 59E59.

Series B seems to have gotten the kind of reviews where different critics are totally loving different pieces, and all of the pieces have gotten some nice comments from the critics so far. [except for Backstage's critic, whose review came out with great speed and little analysis - incredibly, while he found something to enjoy in all of Series A, the Backstage critic perversely is on his own, so far anyway, in finding none of the pieces in Series B to his liking, even with the great diversity among the pieces, but the review did come out quickly, I'll say that for him].

But given my bias towards Skip and Plaisir d'Amour, here are some quotes about series B that just happen to be handy :)

PEOPLESPEAK

Aaron Riccio on Theater Talk’s New Theater Corps: “PeopleSpeak operates the same way: the play very comically opens with Siobhan (the excellent Sherry Anderson) getting interrupted mid-suicide by a call from her mother (the persistently creative sort who sends musical affirmations by mail), but then using that dark comedy to turn the mirror back on our isolated, text-heavy cellular world. Even when things go overboard, with a friendly waiter (the comic Nick Westrate) "channeling" an overly moral spirit to neatly bring the play to a close, the energy is buoyant enough to keep things afloat.”

David Barbour, L&S Online: "Can't people go one second when they're not on the phone?" wonders the beleaguered heroine of PeopleSpeak. Apparently not, if you're going by this fast and funny farce, the highlight of Summer Shorts Series B. It begins with Siobhan, a middle-aged "permanent temp," about to blow her brains out. (We never learn the details of the tragedy that has left her suicidal, but it apparently involves credit-card debt, infidelity, cancer, and AIDS.) Before she can pull the trigger, however, she's interrupted by a call from her mother, who quite reasonably points out that Siobhan's problems could be worse -- after all, she could be like the human torso in the circus. "At least she has a job she likes," notes Siobhan.
Her effort at self-annihilation thwarted, Siobhan heads to a Village café, where she has to deal with Cassie, her staggeringly narcissistic employer. ("You are an ox. You are a great big strong ox. And I mean that in the nicest way," Cassie says, offering her own peculiar brand of comfort.) Serving -- or rather, not serving -- them is Brian, a waiter, who is so busy relating the details of his sex life, via phone and text message, that he has no time to deliver food or drink. ("Put your hand down or I will call you out like you're a number in a bingo game," he warns one starved customer.)
And so it goes, as Siobhan works through multiple self-help tomes, reading out "affirmations" ("I deserve to take up space") and worrying about her medication wearing off, while everyone around her is on the phone, blabbing, in the language of pop therapy, about him or herself. The playwright, John Augustine, is the life partner of Christopher Durang, as well as his co-star in the cabaret act Chris Durang and Dawne; he shares Durang's impatience with spurious positive-thinking gurus like Louise Hay, but he has his own special knack for wild twists -- including the mortifying hidden link between Cassie and Brian -- that keep the plot bubbling along.
The action could be trimmed by a few minutes -- the fun thins a bit when Brian starts channeling advice-giving voices from the beyond -- but, under Robert Saxner's limber direction, PeopleSpeak provides steady amusement throughout. As Siobhan, Sherry Anderson (another member of Dawne) has a thousand-and-one facial expressions suitable for signaling moral outage, and Patricia Randell is a garrulously funny Cassie. But it's Nick Westrate who has a mini-triumph as Brian, doubling also as a leering construction worker, a text-messaging cab driver, the operator of a donut kiosk, and another customer in the café, who gets out while the getting is good.”

PLAISIR d’AMOUR

Variety: “Terrence McNally and Skip Kennon's lovely little musical comedy "Plaisir D'Amour," which makes excellent use of "Avenue Q" vet Stephanie D'Abruzzo as Ruth and Jonathan C. Kaplan as her partner Sam. It feels odd to call a 30-minute show an extravaganza, but that's the most fitting word. ... But the prize goes, no contest, to "Plaisir D'Amour," mostly because of the amazing synchronization of all its disparate elements. It's not any one song that makes the brief show (really a mini-opera) such a treat. It's lyrics like Sam's internal "Go up and chat with her; be charming and be chipper," while Ruth thinks "He could just be a lieder-loving Jack the Ripper" underneath the strains of the singer (Rita Harvey) they're both pretending to listen to, crooning in French about the pleasures of love.”

David Finkle on theatremania.com: “Plaisirs d'Amour, which takes its cue from the traditional French ditty but doesn't reprise it, begins with early-stage love pleasures and advances and moves on to the inevitable disillusioning phases that McNally obviously believes speedily follow. Ruth (Stephanie D'Abruzzo) and Sam (Jonathan C. Kaplan) meet cute at a recital where a soprano (Rita Harvey in the first of several roles) is holding forth on love's vagaries. Thereafter, the couple marries, raise children, indulge infidelities and, years later, reach a convincingly realistic conclusion about their relationship. The piece will strike some inveterate theater fans as a variation on Leonard Bernstein's Trouble in Tahiti, but McNally and Kennon's lovely melodies and deft lyrics make the enterprise decidedly appealing, as do the accomplished actor-singers (who also include Neal Mayer in a range of supporting roles).”

Aaron Riccio on Theater Talk’s New Theater Corps: “Of course, the real reason to see either series is for Roger Hedden's Deep in the Hole (Series A) or Terrence McNally and Skip Kennon's mini-musical Plaisir D'Amour (Series B) ... outstanding performances from Stephanie D'Abruzzo and Jonathan C. Kaplan as they chronicle a relationship from the desperate single life to the troubled married life and eventually, with their own children now married, to the comfortable afterglow of a once passionate life … does for a transient comedy what Prelude & Liebestod did for drama.”

ON ISLAND

Variety: “What's nice about the piece, aside from Jorge Cordova's turn as the concerned older brother, is that the writer has fully developed characters in mind and knows exactly how they talk and where he wants to go with them.”

David Finkle at theatermania.com: “Anyone who saw Domitrovich's Artfuckers this past year will probably be unprepared for the gentle sagacity of On Island. Greek groom-to-be George (Anthony Carrigan) is getting cold feet before his marriage to the Jewish Sandi (Lisa Birnbaum) on a Martha's Vineyard beach. So he's retreated with brother Leo (Jorge Cordova) to work through the qualms that threaten to overwhelm him. There's much fraternal love here, and when cooling-her-heels-at-the-altar Sandi arrives to get to the delay's bottom, there's even more genuine love circulating on the symbolic sand. Never mind that the glue binding the about-to-be-newlyweds and brother Leo seems to hinge on their shared affection for cult-movie Airplane! These churning Edgartown waters run deep, especially as expertly guided by director Mary Catherine Burke.”

Aaron Riccio on Theater Talk’s New Theater Corps: “Michael Domitrovich's On Island (Series B) also makes a nice go of it: while his groom-with-cold-feet plot is nothing new, Leo's attempt to help his brother, George, feel more comfortable about marrying Sandi, especially in the honest recounts of their childhood memories, sells the piece.”

OUR TIME IS UP (the short curtain-raiser)

Variety: “Reddin's play, about a precocious kid (Clara Hopkins Daniels) who turns the tables on her analyst (Janet Zarish), has some real lightness to it; "Time" isn't an entree but it could be a nice appetizer.”

David Barbour, L&S Online: “Callie, a teenager, has been sent to Sharon for analysis because her parents are worried about Anna, her imaginary friend. Anna may be a symptom, but she apparently has an encyclopedic knowledge of Freudian and Jungian theory, and, in minutes, Callie has Sharon in tears, disclosing her ambivalent feelings about her father. It's the kind of thing you might have seen on The Carol Burnett Show 30 years ago, but it has a few laughs, thanks to Janet Zarish's quick-on-the-trigger emoting as Sharon and Clara Hopkins Daniels' skillful underplaying as Callie. Billy Hopkins' direction handles the material with a light touch.”

FJL

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 06:54:15 AM »

Jose - I was thinking about the roulade table, but never the roulette table.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up