Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SHINY SHOES  (Read 25001 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SHINY SHOES
« on: February 21, 2004, 12:01:22 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what I will be doing shortly, you know the topic so all there is left to do is keep the home fries burning and post until the cows come home.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 12:05:49 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:SHINY SHOES
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 12:30:47 AM »

I don't have shiny shoes. I want shiny shoes. Why do men get to have all the fun?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 12:59:51 AM »

This must be some do, esteemed BK, for you to be wearing a tux and shiny shoes.  I recall at the booksigning for Kritzerland, you were off to some do or other, and were glad you were not being forced to wear shiny shoes and cummerbund.  

Personally, I prefer dress shoes that are a flat black in color, not shiny.  Shiny scuffs too easily.  And people are supposed to look at women's feet, not those of their male counterparts.

Unless, of course, some kind of fetish is involved.   :-X
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 01:08:58 AM »

I happen to like roasting potatoes.  I like to take Yukon Gold, or some other yellow potato, scrub them well, and cut them into wedges.  Then I like to drizzle them with olive oil, sprinkle on some salt (kosher) and some herbs, at let them roast for a half hour or so in a 350 degree oven.  When they are golden and easily poked with a skewer, they're done.  The herbs can be varied to match whatever else is on the menu.

Der Brucer likes french fries.  This requires two things: a good deep frier, and a bag of pre-cut french fries.  They can also be done in the oven, but fried fries are somehow tastier.  The trick here is finding a good frier.  It's necessary to get one with a large enough capacity, that also gets the oil hot enough so that, when the fries are added to the oil, the temperature of the oil doesn't drop too far.  To be avoided are friars, who may be deep in thought and fat, but tend to consume the food rather than cook it.

Remember, no groaning.

I've tried cutting my own fries.  This requires soaking them in water, draining them, the whole shebang.  The bagged fries are easier to work with.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 01:13:06 AM »

"Shiny Shoes" needs a lyric, set to the melody of "Silver Bells."  All I can come up with is

Shiny Shoes, Shiny Shoes
It's awards time in the city.

Technically the accented syllable in "awards" is wrong, of course, but since the music stresses each syllable equally at that point, we might be able to get away with it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 01:22:49 AM by S. Woody White »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 04:02:11 AM »

BK, have a great time at the Awards!  Work the room, sell that book/script/song.  

Isn't "Pretty Poison" one of the best?  I haven't seen it since its initial and brief release.  I had a summer job in the Berkshires shortly after the film was released, and the folkl were still talking about the film, which was shot in Pittsfield, MA. I'm surprised you didn't mention Beverly Garland's great performance!  A DVD release would be nice, and I'm waiting for "Oh, What A Lovely War!" to be released as well.
I remember being in an HMV in London, looking at all the Region 2 DVDs that were not available in the states - like "Oh, What a Lovely War!" and thinking, what the hell?

DR MBarnum, congratulations on your interview!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 05:02:48 AM »

I hope someone gets a picture of you and Panni all dressed up for you to post for us.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 05:50:59 AM »

I take a big pot, spray it with Pam, thinly slice 2 or 3 vidalia onions and warm them over low heat.  Then I add five sliced tomatoes, a peeled, cubed-up eggplant, two sliced zucchini.  Adjust heat so this simmers and cover.  When it looks like the amount of liquid has gone down a bit, add freshed chopped parsley.  Pepper and celery salt.  Lastly, add a bunch of halved olives with pimentos and call it ratatouille.

It's even better as a cold leftover.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 06:09:59 AM »

Yes, we need a picture!  And don't forget to tell Mr John Michael Hayes that WE LOVE LOVE LOVE "Harlow" & "The Carpetbaggers" so that he can look at you like you are crazy.

Panni you CANNOT wear shiny shoes because they reflect UP!  :o

New potatoes - slice them in quarters and sprinkle with Italian dressing and bake!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 06:11:48 AM »

MR BK - you have your AIRPORTS mixed up!  Ms Lee Grant and Mr Christopher Lee were in AIRPORT '77 when the plane sank in the Bermuda Triangle NOT CONCORDE, AIRPORT '79!

And no one has guessed the connection yet between three of the four....there is an Abbott and Costello connection in AIRPORT, '75. '79!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2004, 06:17:23 AM »

Oh my I found an interesting site.

The airplane that was used for the exteriors in AIRPORT, crashed during a takeoff in 1989!

If you like disaster movies....or rather movies about disasters, check out this site.

http://www.jimusnr.com/Catastropheinthemovies.html
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 06:20:23 AM by JRand53 »

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2004, 06:20:24 AM »

Oh, those shiny shoes!  You must not have gone to Catholic school (and what old Jew has?), where those are verboten--verboten, do you hear?  Little boys might see what little boys ought not to see.  Wasn't there a musical called Patent Leather Shoes?

Dear Reader MBarnum:
Great news about the humpy hunk Mr. Bolder.  It says on imdb that he has already published one novel.  Do you have it?  Is your interview going to be published where all and sun-dried can read it?  For the life of me, I do not remember "Friday's Child", his Star Trek episode.  But it also starred Julie Newmar (without Wong Foo).

I'm particularly interested to know the reaction of an actor like Mr. Bolder to your wanting to interview him after all these years out of the business.  I mean, the proliferation of fan web sites and such have suddenly brought all sorts of people into the "public" eye whom one would expect to be totally forgotten.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 06:26:21 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2004, 06:27:14 AM »

Good morning all!

Last night Charles Pogue wrote:
Re: the diet. You've just hit a plateau.  Keep at it and in another couple weeks, it will start dropping again.

I think it depends how much weight you have to lose.  Even though my clothes feel looser, when I step on an actual scale, I don't see the weight going down anymore.  I know when I strictly keep track of every carb it is much easier to lose weight.  I'm starting to think that some of it has to do with the fruit I'm eating.  I know oranges have lots of carbs (and didn't eat them on my low low carb binge). But they taste so good and make me feel so good.  Could fruit really be hampering my weight loss?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 06:28:31 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2004, 06:29:28 AM »

BK wrote:
Atkins ice cream is very very bad.  Although, I just tried one of their ice cream bars and it was tolerable.  Something resembling dark chocolate on the outside and vanilla fudge swirl on the inside.  Not good, but tolerable.

I wonder if your idea of very bad and mine would be the same :)

DR Jose wrote:
Just remember - Plateaus are normal.  Plateaus are supposed to happen - it just means your body is getting used to being smaller.  And, most importantly, plateaus are temporary.  

I think I"m too fixated with numbers on the scale right now.  I totally understand though where DR Danise is coming from. It's frustrating.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 06:32:09 AM by Jennifer »

Michael

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2004, 06:42:35 AM »

Well my computer is up and running properly after two weeks plus. I have a lot of work to catch up on.
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2004, 07:05:55 AM »

I make Potato Salad about every other year or when my family begs me to (about every other year).  I call it Garden Potato salad, because I put more green stuff like celery, and bell peppers (and a few other things-- none of which come to mind now), and because I don't know what else to call it-- but I don't want people expecting German Potato Salad (which I like) or what I have sometimes seen passed off as potato salad (which is cubes of boiled potatoes with mayonnnaise on it and that's all) (And which I don't like).  I only know how to make a big batch of it which takes a few hours and which is why I wait until some family event.  I've tried making smalller batches and can't.  It has no recipe anymore-- it just happens.  The only thing to remember is to marinate the potatoes (overnight if possible) and to not overcook or undercook the potatoes.  After all, it is not MASHED potato salad, nor is it Nouveau-almost raw-potato salad which seems to be the vogue now.

The good thing about knowing only how to make a big batch is that there is plenty leftover, and it's even better the next day.

I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2004, 08:03:25 AM »

Der Brucer has run into a major wall on his part of the house organizing.  He's found it impossible to resist going through his collection of Playbills, many dating from before we met.

Like the second time he saw Little Shop of Horrors at the Westwood Playhouse, some unknown was playing Audrey...Faith Prince.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2004, 08:44:59 AM »

Hey all, greetings from the 2004 Religious Ed. Congress in beautiful Anaheim CA.  Tons of fun, good music, good content and tons of renewal.  What a way to spend b-day #35.  Potatos?  Cooked any way here, twice baked is my fave and next in pancake form.   Off to the conference and concluding the day with a dinner at the Blue Bayou in Disneyland and a viewing of FANTASMIC.  

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2004, 08:50:13 AM »

Oh, all these potato dishes and the ratatouille, YUM!! I don't eat potatoes, much. Haven't in years. (sigh)

So, anyway, it's sunny here, and i feel like it's my wedding day! Always feel that on the morn of an opening night. I had a swell tech yesterday (yes, I even LOVE the tech rehearsal!) and the run-thru was so tasty, I'm just chomping at the bit!!!!!

Maybe i'll treat myself to a massage...

more later after the show. After I've met the Grandpa's...
PennyO

Michael

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2004, 08:51:11 AM »

Why do dvd covers use color photographs from thefilm when the movie was released in Blackand white???
Never stop dreaming.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2004, 08:56:47 AM »

Lebanese Potato Salad
(Serves 4-6)

4 large potatoes
1 small clove of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 small onion, chopped
1/3-1/2 cup of parsley, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup of olive oil

1. Boil potatoes as for potato salad. Cool and dice into 1" cubes.
2. In a separate bowl, mash garlic with seasonings. Add lemon juice, stirring well.
3. Add lemon juice mixture and rest of ingredients to the potatoes. Toss and mix well.

From yesterday's posts:
Liz Callaway and Jason Graae will be appearing April 24-25 at the Osher-Marin JCC in San Rafael, California. Jason and Amanda McBroom will be the special guest artists in the Marilyn and Alan Bergman Tribute show at Orange County Performing Arts Center in Costa Mesa, California, March 9-13.

Andrea Marcovicci will be performing her Cole Porter show at Feinstein's at the Cinegrill at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel March 1-13 (call to verify dates). She'll be doing her Frank Loesser show at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center in Long Beach, California, on March 19 and at the Algonquin in NYC on April 18-19.

Dear Reader Tom from Oz: Did you get my reply to your email?

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2004, 09:17:05 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Potato Facts From Martha Stewart ...[/move]

Yukon Gold is an all-purpose spud with pale yellow flesh and creamy flavor. They are good for roasting and frying as well as in soups, stews, and gratins.
Russets, more commonly known as Idaho potatoes, are high in starch. Because they break apart easily when cooked, their fluffy interiors are excellent baked and mashed. They also make the best fries.
Round whites are waxier and moister than russets and hold their shape well. They are good for boiling, steaming, and roasting.
Round reds, such as red bliss, are also good for boiling. With their pale red skins, they can be used instead of round whites when more color is desired.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 09:20:45 AM by Donna »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2004, 09:18:15 AM »

Break a leg tonight, DR PennyO!!!!

DR MS - you know most lobby cards and posters for b/w movies were always printed in color....and sometimes the colors on the lobbies for color movies were even wrong!

It always made the movie look more interesting and exciting, I guess.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 09:20:52 AM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2004, 09:20:42 AM »

This is what happens when you watch four Airport movies in a row - you get them confused.  I have now adjusted the notes to reflect the correct cast members, who are even stranger than the ones I mistakenly listed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2004, 09:21:44 AM »

LOL Mr BK - I was convinced I was wrong until I went back and checked the cast lists!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2004, 09:23:02 AM »

Of course some things are just as scary in b/w!   :o

Emily

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2004, 09:23:03 AM »

Hey BK,

I think your computer may have a virus or a worm or something.

I received an e-mail from bruce@haineshisway.com with the subject header "Something for You" with a file attached called story.rtf that hotmail blocked as being unsafe.

If you didn't send me anything, chances are you have a worm.  Run a virus scan ASAP.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2004, 09:42:32 AM »

No, Emily, it's not my computer.  These cretins just harvest e-mail addresses and steal them and use them.  It's not coming from me at all or even my e-mail address - here's the clue - you can't get e-mail from me from "bruce@haineshisway.com" because it's just a portal which sends any e-mails to my real e-mail address.  In other words, bruce@haineshisway.com doesn't really exist as an e-mail address, hence you cannot receive an e-mail from it.

That's why you must always beware anything with an attachment.  I have McAfee on my computer, and have never had a virus.  I never open attachments unless the sender tells me what it is.  I've received many e-mails from people on the site, and other friends, none of which emanated from their accounts - it's how these jerks work.  Someday, somehow, someone will catch these nerds and put them away for a time.  That's all that has to happen - catch a few of them and teach them a rather strong lesson and then they'll stop doing it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2004, 09:43:40 AM »

I'm off, because she of the Evil Eye is here.  Now, you simply must keep the home fries burning.  I shall return around one-fifteen, and I'll need lots of excellent reading matter prior to my departure for the WGA Awards at two-thirty.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2004, 09:49:36 AM »

Steamed Brussel Sprouts with either lemon/dill butter or chedar cheese sauce!

The only thing I use Paypal for is the Kritzer books.  I have been getting regular e-mail about updating my informatio  (which I will do on their site when I pre-order KRITZER TIME next week).  However these e-mails keep coming in - 2 yesterday.  Are the legit or spam?  Do any of you DRs have this problem?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up