Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: OVER THE WEATHER  (Read 55905 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: OVER THE WEATHER
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2008, 01:03:42 PM »

Perhaps the Sondheim Box Set (although I have practically everything on it).

You mean the one with the never released "Evening Primrose" material?

der Brucer

Yeah, and the very rare never heard scores to The Enclave and Invitation To A March, available for everyone's listening please since 1993, along with several other of the very rare songs on the rarities disc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2008, 01:03:53 PM »

At long last page five

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2008, 01:04:16 PM »

Haven't heard from Mr. Geissman, so I'm thinking today's demo recording won't happen and we'll do it next week.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2008, 01:05:49 PM »

...And they just ran out of whipped cream... And the B-line busts gets longer and longer... And keeps looking at me... :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2008, 01:08:18 PM »

Back from a meant-to-be leisurely but-still-a-bit nervewracking visit to CostCo this morning.  I took advantage of an Executive Membership  and arrived an hour early.  Much to my surprise, a thousand or so other customers were there already!!!

Nevertheless, except for some extremely wierd traffic patterns in parts of the store, it was a profitable day for CostCo courtesy of yours truly.

My main goal was to stock up on  fire logs.  I can buy a box of 9 for a few dollars more than my local grocery store charges for a box of 6.  It was on the way to the fire logs that the damage was truly done.  Spent way more than I wanted to or "thought" I would be spending.

Glad I decided against a Blu-ray player and another portable hard drive.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2008, 01:12:06 PM »

I finished watching LIFE ON MARS, and enjoyed it very much....enought that I will tune in next week. That lead actor guy is quite good. I had never heard of him before.

That is Jason O'Mara, who played a charming villain on The Closer and won MattH's heart.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2008, 01:12:18 PM »

If it's with his death, then that's essentially the same ending as Mark Twain's  A Connecticut Yankee.

What I wonder about is how the original British series ended (he didn't die...but there was a specific twist, if you will) and the dissapointment that an Amazon.co.uk reviewer felt and wrote about and if the American version will use the same ending/twist.

I think it's silly to speculate on such things when the show is just beginning. If it takes off, it could run for YEARS (unlike British shows which often have a limited outlook). I'm going to enjoy it while I can and worry about its ending when there is an ending.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »

I finished watching LIFE ON MARS, and enjoyed it very much....enought that I will tune in next week. That lead actor guy is quite good. I had never heard of him before.

That is Jason O'Mara, who played a charming villain on The Closer and won MattH's heart.

der Brucer

He won my heart when he played the lead in his first ABC series IN JUSTICE. The camera just loves him. He has also done story arcs on GREY'S ANATOMY and MEN IN TREES as well as those two memorable appearances on THE CLOSER.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2008, 01:14:05 PM »

I just got a nice surprise. I am the "voice" of the Foundation Center. When you call our offices if a human being doesn't answer the phone you hear me giving you various directions for what to do next. This past weekend I just recorded a series of 23 short bits (ranging from 15 second to 30 seconds) informing callers who are put on hold about various services offered by the FC. I knew I was going to receive a gift card to Barnes and Noble for doing it but I was originally told it would be $25. I got the card today and it's $50! I sent a thank you e-mail and was told they were so impressed by what I did that they felt I should receive a larger gift card. All I did was sit in front of my computer, turn on the recording software and read 23 different scripts and make 23 sound bytes and burn them to a disc. But they don't have to know that  ;D

I now must go to B&N this weekend to see what I can get. Perhaps the Sondheim Box Set (although I have practically everything on it).

Happy Me.

Very cool, DR Ben!  Congrats!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »

I began my afternoon viewing with last night's THE OFFICE. Some funny stuff as always and a great little subplot with Meredith.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »

Next, I watched four more episodes of CSI. With the one I watched this morning, I've watched five already today, and since there are only 17 in the set this time, I should be able to finish the box by tomorrow night. As I thought I remembered, the plots are pretty bland in season 8. The one I just finished took place at a movie studio that specialized in hack slasher movies, and by the end of the episode, there were like three deaths plus a serious gunshot wound.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2008, 01:19:12 PM »

I skimmed through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing and nothing in next week's previews.

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2008, 01:20:12 PM »

Then, I watched some more of last Sunday's MAD MEN in HD On Demand. I only got abother 10 minutes of it watched, so I still have about a half hour to go.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2008, 01:28:18 PM »

Off to start my two day holiday weekend!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2008, 01:32:08 PM »

And the B-line busts gets longer and longer...

I didn't know you were a bust man.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2008, 01:38:26 PM »

Hmmm... Chocolate frozen custard, chocolate crumble, toasted coconut, toasted walnuts and dulce de leche... And that's what they call a German Chocolate Concrete. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2008, 01:39:57 PM »

And now it's time to walk off the almost two cups of chocolate frozen custard I just consumed.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2008, 01:43:35 PM »

Hmmm... Chocolate frozen custard, chocolate crumble, toasted coconut, toasted walnuts and dulce de leche... And that's what they call a German Chocolate Concrete. :)

I'll have what he's having.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2008, 01:49:02 PM »

I have a few little computer maintenance chores to accomplish and then it's back downstairs for more with Gil Grissom and his crime lab co-horts.

WBBL.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2008, 01:54:10 PM »

DR Jose, VIBES AND PRAYERS FOR YOUR MOTHER!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2008, 01:54:33 PM »

CONGRATS DR BEN!  Lucky people who get to listen to your voice :D

Laura

« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2008, 01:57:57 PM »

Does that mean that if we call and ask if they have Prince Albert in a can that Ben's voice is the one we'll hear?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2008, 02:15:02 PM »

Grant couldn't work until five, so I told him we should just do it next week, when I'm feeling better, have my voice 100% and like that.  So, I'm now just going to relax for the rest of the day and evening.  Doing questions for tomorrow's event, and hopefully getting the Elmer Bernstein title live momentarily (she said she'd be back at one my time and would have it up soon thereafter - not).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2008, 02:25:30 PM »

Der Brucer is about to hit a milestone.

90?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

FJL

« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2008, 02:26:41 PM »

Vibes for Jose's mom

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2008, 02:41:22 PM »

Well...

I need to start getting ready to head home for a few days.  I probably won't head down to Virginia until Sunday, or even Monday at this point, but since I've more or less been a slug this past week, I do have a couple of things to take care of around the apartment before I make the trip South.  Of course, the tidying and organizing I've been putting off shouldn't take all that long, but it's just a matter of doing it.  Nike!  In any case...

My mom will be going in for mitral valve replacement on Tuesday.  The "news" leaked a few weeks ago. However, since my parents were trying not to worry their sons, various messages and "status reports" got mixed up causing a bit of (unnecessary) shock.  I stopped freaking out (almost) about the whole situation a week or so ago, but since I happen to have a break in my work schedule, I figured I might as well head down to Richmond while she's having the procedure.

I had wanted to head down earlier this week, but it turns out that various family friends have been stopping by to visit my parents, and there has been no room at the Inn.  My Dad even called me to ask me where I was planning on staying since all three bedrooms and the Aerobed were already spoken for.  So, I may end up staying with Steve which actually works out fine since he happens to work for the same hospital system where my Mom is having the surgery, so he can take me in to visit when he heads to work. Getting hit with a cold - which seems to have passed - also delayed my trip down to Virginia earlier this week.

Vibes and Prayers....

Vibes and prayers for DR Jose's dear mother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »

Good Afternoon, once again!

-And I believe I'm currently in a post-German-Chocolate-Concrete haze-daze.  ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »

And Thank You for all the Vibes and Prayers for my Mom.  I will be sure to pass them along to her once I get down to Richmond.  They're also helping me with my unease in dealing with the unknown - and with what I know I can't really do anything about, what I can't "help".  After checking bus schedules, I think I may head down tomorrow afternoon, since I have a feeling that the busses may be full on Sunday.  We shall see... But, again...

Thank You.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »

And Thank You for all the Vibes and Prayers for my Mom.  I will be sure to pass them along to her once I get down to Richmond.  They're also helping me with my unease in dealing with the unknown - and with what I know I can't really do anything about, what I can't "help".  After checking bus schedules, I think I may head down tomorrow afternoon, since I have a feeling that the busses may be full on Sunday.  We shall see... But, again...

Thank You.

I guess I need a new date for HERRINGBONE on Sunday?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »

TWO GREAT ELMER BERNSTEIN SCORES MAKE THEIR CD DEBUT!

Kritzerland is proud to present its newest limited edition CD – two rare scores from Elmer Bernstein.

LAURETTE  Music from the play

Produced in 1960, Laurette starred Judy Holliday, was directed by Jose Quintero, and produced by Alan Pakula.  It was a bio-play based on the life of the legendary actress Laurette Taylor.  Mr. Bernstein provided a background score for the show, which unfortunately closed out of town before getting to Broadway.  The music is pure Elmer and is an interesting transitional score from his bigger and jazzier scores of that era to the type of score he would shortly provide for To Kill A Mockingbird.  The scoring is beautiful, delicate, and filled with wonderful melodies. 

PRINCE JACK  Original Soundtrack Recording

Prince Jack was a low-budget film written and directed by Bert Lovitt (adapted from his play), a series of vignettes about the presidency of John F. Kennedy, starring Dana Andrews, Kenneth Mars, Jim Backus, Theodore Bikel, Lloyd Nolan, Robert Guillaime, and others.  Originally, there was little budget for any music, and source and library music was going to be used.  However, when the film came in under budget, the leftover money was used to hire Elmer Bernstein to provide a small amount of original scoring.  Even though quite brief and scored for a smaller ensemble of about twenty musicians, the score has all the hallmarks of its composer – wonderful melodies, and terrific dramatic writing.  It’s very much in the style of his 1980s films, including the use of the Ondes Martinot. 

Mastered from the best available sources, there are some sound anomalies, but every effort has been made to minimize any problems.  The CD runs just under thirty minutes.  Given the archival nature of the release and the brevity, we are offering these two rare scores at a special price of $15.98 (plus shipping).   

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.

CDs will ship in early November – preorders usually ship one to two weeks earlier.

To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up