Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ARCH AND THE ARCANE  (Read 27486 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: THE ARCH AND THE ARCANE
« Reply #240 on: October 22, 2008, 06:25:14 PM »

DR TCB, how much weight do you think you lost?  That is good for your hip.

Maybe 15 to 20 lbs.

**And I lost it by eating several small meals a day, and never jogging when I had the flu.

;D

Good for you!!

I lied about the small meals and the jogging.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

singdaw

« Reply #241 on: October 22, 2008, 06:33:42 PM »

Boy, a path like that sure would be an incentive to cruise walk every day!   :)

singdaw

« Reply #242 on: October 22, 2008, 06:34:33 PM »

And now I'm pooping out for the day.

Good night, DR TCB!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2008, 06:36:58 PM »

And now I'm pooping out for the day.

Good night, DR TCB!!

Good night, Coleslaw.

And G'night to everyone else!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #244 on: October 22, 2008, 06:37:55 PM »

Our day in Tacoma:

I remember that! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #245 on: October 22, 2008, 06:40:15 PM »

Well, I'm off too.  I'm going to see Capital Playhouse's production of The Threepenny Opera.  I don't think it's the Blitzstein translation, because a friend of mine went last week and said that they said the "F" word throughout the show. :o

I'll report back later tonight.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2008, 06:49:38 PM »

DR TCB, how much weight do you think you lost?  That is good for your hip.

Maybe 15 to 20 lbs.

**And I lost it by eating several small meals a day, and never jogging when I had the flu.

LOL, I know.  ;D  Congrats on the weight loss.
 ;D

Good for you!!

I lied about the small meals and the jogging.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #247 on: October 22, 2008, 07:01:46 PM »

there are  some silver linings

It will make a handy place to stay warm when we cannot afford to heat our houses  

It's so nice to see the homeless style of livng trickle down to the suburbs. Don't you have a subway to sleep in?

this is Lawng EYEland we don't believe in convenient public transportation -- we do have SOME pulic trnasportation but we make sure it  doesn't go where you want to when you want it to

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #248 on: October 22, 2008, 07:06:38 PM »

Vixmom, move to PDX.  We have one of the most restrictive building codes in the nation--Wal-Mart, for example, has pretty much given up on us (in the metro area at least--they're out in the 'burbs), and Costco and Ikea had to fight like hell to get approved.

now see , there are three stores I would shop at -- however a 2500 dress knocked down to $750 at some designer "discount" store.... well not my cuppa tea

vixmom

« Reply #249 on: October 22, 2008, 07:07:49 PM »

BTW Bruce - the title of your Notes is probably what "set me off" the new mall is named  "The Arches" 

vixmom

« Reply #250 on: October 22, 2008, 07:14:33 PM »

The Mills is suffering because it brought in a load of high-priced stores to a monetarily deprived community; the employment is there, but the shoppers are not.
Had The Mills been built when originally proposed, the economy was better, the surrounding area was less depressed and consumers had a bit more disposal income (though not much).

this is my expectation for this mall --- of course I am not known for my fiancial saavy so I may be completely wrong - as may be my fears about traffic and congestion....

this is one time I hope I don't know what I'm talking about..   

vixmom

« Reply #251 on: October 22, 2008, 07:14:53 PM »

I have been remiss - oh yes I have been remiss

vixmom

« Reply #252 on: October 22, 2008, 07:16:08 PM »

VIBES TO DEAR DEAR READER ELMORE FOR A SPEEDY COMPLETION OF THE LAND SALE

Jane

« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2008, 07:20:10 PM »

I can't watch HOUSE online until 8 days after it aired. :(

Jane

« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2008, 07:21:31 PM »

'night

vixmom

« Reply #255 on: October 22, 2008, 07:22:57 PM »

Much has been made of the tax benefits to our little town - however since the powers that be (did I mention how they sold us down the river?) gave the multimillionaire smug bassas  a TEN YEAR TAX Moritorium it will do us no good whatsoever until years after our property values have been driven into the ground

My hunch is that your local government gave the developer a Local Property Tax Moritorium; your community should still benefit from the gillions of dollars of sales tax revenue the mall generates. Unless you folks elected a gaggle of villiage idiots to the local halls of government, you should have a net plus on the deal (without the Mall, the property would probably have generated little in Property Taxes).

der Brucer

My understanding is that the sales tax revenues go to the county and to the state with a small portion going to the township -- however 80% of the taxes I pay to own a property in my hamlet (which is within the Township, which is within the County, which  is within the State) consist of school taxes  - this is the burden that should be lifted from my shoulders by the building of this monstrosity - but alas no, the mall owners are being taxed for the next ten years as if the land were still vacant - 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:41:11 PM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #256 on: October 22, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »

Years ago, New Yorkers could have put a roof over 42nd Street and made it the country's first real strip mall.   :D

I miss the old 42nd Street. It was more fun when it was scary to walk down it.

I always have to wonder if "people" would really like the "old 42nd Street" if it ever came back.  Yes, a little danger in one's daily commute can be "exciting", but I'd rather feel safe and secure - regardless of how many Starbucks happen to be crammed into those four to six block area.

I mean, regardless of what you thought about Kock and Giuliani, I think making the Times Square area a true Destination was not necessarily a bad thing.  Yes, rents are skyrocketing, and some of the seedier elements have been pushed further west and east, but isn't that happening everywhere?

-I'm not a NYC native, so I know my opinion may be in the minority, but I have been coming to the City That Never Sleeps regularly since I was 10 years old, and I've lived here the past three years.  I like the cleaner and less seedy NYC.  Call me a rebel.  ;)

I have to agree with you there Jose I would be much less likely to wander the city steets after dark with the Vixter in tow if the streets were still  the way they were when I was her age( back in the 70's)   
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:41:43 PM by vixmom »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #257 on: October 22, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »

Good Evening!

I really liked "Vicky Cristina Barcelona".  I hadn't read too many of the reviews, but I did notice that almost all of them mentioned that Woody Allen had returned to his "roots" - and all for the better.  And I'd have to agree.  The movie reminded me a lot of "Manhattan".  It was one of those movies that just "happens", and it's best just to let it happen.  Funny, quirky, real and impossible but probable.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #258 on: October 22, 2008, 07:43:57 PM »

Jennifer - Vixdad has been watching and enjoying the Starter Wife  - I saw bits and pieces of a couple of the episodes -- it was OK but didn't really grab me

FJL

« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2008, 07:44:36 PM »

George - Might it be the Wallace Shawn version which played at the Roundabout?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #260 on: October 22, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »

It was also good catching up with my friend, Mark.  We hadn't seen each other in person in over a year, but had kept in touch via e-mails and online chats.  It was a nice in-person "reunion".  And the dinner at Le Pain Quotidien wasn't bad either - although their whole serving staff seemed quite lacking at times.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #261 on: October 22, 2008, 07:45:06 PM »

Good Evening!

I really liked "Vicky Cristina Barcelona".  I hadn't read too many of the reviews, but I did notice that almost all of them mentioned that Woody Allen had returned to his "roots" - and all for the better.  And I'd have to agree.  The movie reminded me a lot of "Manhattan".  It was one of those movies that just "happens", and it's best just to let it happen.  Funny, quirky, real and impossible but probable.  :)

hmm maybe I should take advantage of the $2 movie ticket specials and go see it this weekend

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #262 on: October 22, 2008, 07:55:07 PM »

Good Evening!

hmm maybe I should take advantage of the $2 movie ticket specials and go see it this weekend

Be sure to check the theatre listings.  I know that this is the last week of the movie here in Manhattan.  And I also know that many theatres are gearing up for the release of "High School Musical 3" this weekend.  In fact, there are a very limited number of openings this weekend due to the "HSM3" juggernaut.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #263 on: October 22, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »

I had a very nice night at work tonight.  That is all.  I feel liking singing some Loesser. . .or some Schwartz. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #264 on: October 22, 2008, 08:11:42 PM »

DR Jennifer - My roommate, Jim, who is admitted "TV-holic", gave "The Starter Wife" a try.  His "try" only lasted 10 minutes.  -If that means anything.

-And I think DR Ron Pulliam was simply stating that if you're interested in watching the show - any show - and it doesn't interfere with your other TV viewing, just watch it.  Form your own opinion, and proceed from there.

In this case because we don't get USA network i really knew NOTHING about the show.

I'm sort of surprised that nobody here has seen it.

After the things that Jrand and Ron have said about Debra Messing, do you think any of us would admit it?

I respect their opinions, but Debra is not the reason I'm not watching the show. I watched the miniseries and enjoyed it. But for me, the story ended there. I didn't need anything else with these people.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #265 on: October 22, 2008, 08:15:35 PM »

OY! My laptop crashed and it's a registry error which from what I've been reading means I may have to reinstall windows and lose everything.  Ok I have an external hard drive and I was good at backing up....until last February.   What a bummer.  I really don't want to lose some of the photos I intended to back up later and many of the emails that I was saving.

On the other hand.  I can take new photos, and I really don't remember the last time i looked through the email on that computer.   I'm going to wait until tomorrow. I think I have the name and phone number of the tech who fixed it last.  My warranty  goes through November then expires, but I can't see spending another 300+ dollars on an extended warranty when that would go a long way toward a new laptop.  A lighter lap top that would be easier to carry when I travel.... 

Oh bother

Cillaliz

« Reply #266 on: October 22, 2008, 08:16:14 PM »

We've had 1.74 inches of rain today and it's pouring out right now. 

Matt H.

« Reply #267 on: October 22, 2008, 08:16:19 PM »

Tonight, I watched the Blu-ray of SEX AND THE CITY - THE MOVIE. VERY long, but then with four lead actresses, it kind of had to be to do each of them justice. I was a little bummed about Samantha's story, but the others were all satisfying and I overall enjoyed the movie. It did have the same mix of humor and heart that the series had, and it was nice seeing all the familiar faces from the show in high def with all their fashions and such.

Cillaliz

« Reply #268 on: October 22, 2008, 08:16:36 PM »

Thanks for the continuing vibes for Steve. Looks like his surgery will be on November 3.

Matt H.

« Reply #269 on: October 22, 2008, 08:17:36 PM »

Next, I watched last night's episode of THE SHIELD. OMG! It is ONE FABULOUS SHOW! I have no idea how this is all going to end, but it won't be pretty.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up