Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UPS ADVENTURE  (Read 27481 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: THE UPS ADVENTURE
« Reply #330 on: November 05, 2008, 06:47:58 PM »

My neighbor just called on my cell to ask if our land line was working.  I had no idea we had lost phone service.  The power has briefly gone off 4 times today.  She doesn't have an internet connection so I guess we are lucky.

Check those clocks!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #331 on: November 05, 2008, 06:50:50 PM »

I've sat on my hands all evening, following our lively little discussion here, debating as to the wisdom of jumping into the pool.  Well, I suppose I can't resist dipping a toe in the water at least. 

Re: Sarah Palin. 
When I heard that McCain had chosen her as his running mate, my first question (besides Who?) was Why?  What qualities did this person have that showed her to be up to the task of being a vice-presidential nominee.  Like most of the country, I knew very little about her.  I made no judgements at that point, I was merely curious.  I watched the news reports begin to roll in over the next days and weeks.  The attacks on her family and her children I ignored.  Family has nothing to do with her political qualifications.  But as I watched and listened, one thing became clear.  Sarah Palin was put on the ticket in part to attract the Hillary supporters who were angry that Barack had no only beat her out for the nomination, but declined to put her on as his VP pick.  They saw this group of female Hillary supporters as a group of voters that were now up for grabs, so they put out Sarah Palin. 
I am female, and I was enthusiastic about Hillary Clinton.  And this move insulted me no end.  To put out a woman to garner our votes implies that we were voting for Hillary merely because SHE was a woman, not a qualified and exciting candidate.  Dangle another woman in front of us, and we'll bite, right?  How dare they assume that female voters have such a shallow perspective that we will vote for anyone with breasts.
And then we did get to know Palin. 
Yes, Sarah Palin was thrown into a situation that she was not as prepared for as the presidential candidates, but that's exactly the point.  She needed to be able to handle the scrutiny and questioning, and she just couldn't. Every vice-presidential pick is thrown into the same situation after a presidential candidate is picked.
In truth, I felt horribly sorry for her, the way they were using her, throwing her to a situation she couldn't possibly handle.  She lacks the intellect and the knowledge to fill that position and it was painfully obvious from the beginning.  It was unfair and cruel to put her up there anyway, hoping to draw women who would vote for her based soley on her gender. I did not decide against voting for Sarah Palin because I am sexist or against females in positions of power.  I decided not to vote for her because she was flat out unqualified for the position. 

Okay, getting off soap box.  Getting out of the pool. 

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #332 on: November 05, 2008, 06:59:51 PM »

Nicely put ann...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #333 on: November 05, 2008, 07:00:26 PM »

Get out your sled, DR DAKOTA CELT.

I would be careful if I were you....  ;D

I just might send a snowball sailing your way   ;D
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #334 on: November 05, 2008, 07:01:17 PM »

I am curious about those people who work in libraries (here).  Do you guys buy all books that people request?

I started requesting a lot of books. Some are just books that i know the library will get (and i want to be the first one on the list). But i started requesting books that i don't think the library would get. And they have been buying them all.

So far the only exception are the theatre books. But there is still a chance. Today they called to say one of the scrapbooking books i wanted was ordered and came in.

I'm loving my library!

It boils down to budget and what the subject librarians want... Requests can also have a play in what is purchased

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #335 on: November 05, 2008, 07:04:35 PM »

DR Michael Shayne must have liked the weather today in montreal. It was over 60F. And tomorrow is going to be even warmer (I think like 66F).

Except he left or is leaving.  ;D

Jane

« Reply #336 on: November 05, 2008, 07:09:04 PM »

DR Jennifer, nice library.  In Massachusetts the library asked for a small donation to order a book.  I liked that idea.

Kerry

« Reply #337 on: November 05, 2008, 07:09:27 PM »

There were many wrongs committed during this whole election process--- just like every election.  It's a very nasty business.  I would think women would be treated more fairly by now, but then again, we still live in a world where some felt it necessary to put Prop. 102 in AZ and Prop 8 in CA on the ballot.  We will just have to live with it for 4 years and hope things improve.  We're all in this together.  No more Us against Them.  The fat lady has sung.  :-\ :-[ :P ::) ???
I like boat races.

Jane

« Reply #338 on: November 05, 2008, 07:10:25 PM »

DR Ann.  Nicely said.  I have to go now, just wanted to give a quick response.  LOL-I was more bothered by the fact she was used to appease the hard core Republicans than to get the Hillary vote.

Jane

« Reply #339 on: November 05, 2008, 07:10:46 PM »

'night

Kerry

« Reply #340 on: November 05, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »

Someone actually asked me out for a date tonight.  Or something.  I think I'll have root beer float instead.  Less effort and infinitely more satisfying!  ;)
I like boat races.

Jennifer

« Reply #341 on: November 05, 2008, 07:30:47 PM »

DR Jennifer, nice library.  In Massachusetts the library asked for a small donation to order a book.  I liked that idea.

I've been using the library a lot in the last couple of years.  I take out a lot of books for myself and some for my niece.  A lot of the books i requested, like i said, were books they would have gotten anyhow.

But after i noticed they were getting a few of the books they wouldn't have normally gotten i decided to request some scrapbooking and theatre books (that they definitely would not have gotten).

The library is in an interesting positions right now. Because there are certain suburbs in montreal that separated from the city (like mine). But my library used to be connected to the next suburb over (but they did not separate from montreal). So the libraries separated (before we could take books from both libraries).

So perhaps now they are looking to get more books. In scrapbooking the other library had all the books. So maybe my library would actually like to get some books but don't know which ones to get.

So i actually went to a book store and selected some titles that i thought would be really good. And "suggested" them just to see what happened. I think i suggested 2 or 3. And so far they called today with one.

And actually speaking of theatre books. I checked and they did get 2 of the ones i requested. So i guess this method is working for me!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #342 on: November 05, 2008, 07:32:30 PM »

Watching a wonderful motion picture on DVD right now. 

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #343 on: November 05, 2008, 07:44:56 PM »

I am at work and feeling very tired....

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #344 on: November 05, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »

I am curious about those people who work in libraries (here).  Do you guys buy all books that people request?

I started requesting a lot of books. Some are just books that i know the library will get (and i want to be the first one on the list). But i started requesting books that i don't think the library would get. And they have been buying them all.

So far the only exception are the theatre books. But there is still a chance. Today they called to say one of the scrapbooking books i wanted was ordered and came in.

I'm loving my library!

Go Libraries!! ;D (said the library worker ;)

Jennifer, every library is different.  We have three selectors that decide what to buy for our 27-branch system.  I've requested items that I wouldn't have thought that they'd buy...and they didn't.  I've also requested items that they did buy.  There's also Inter-Library Loan (ILL) where an item is requested from a completely different library.  I've suggested items to purchase and indicated that ILL is okay, and I've gotten some through ILL.  Some librarys charge for this service, but ours doesn't.  We don't even charge ANY late fees, only on lost items.

So, I say request anything and everything that you want.  More often than not, you won't be disappointed. :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:04:15 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #345 on: November 05, 2008, 08:10:17 PM »

Sarah Palin thrust instantly into the national spotlight - one that shines 24/7 - was put into a situation that no one can really be prepared for on short notice.

There is no news cycle anymore - it's instant....you say it and it's broadcast.

And MR BK wrote something the other day that I also agree with....this trivialization of candidates and this tabloid-i-zation of their personal lives really does diminish the offices they are running for. 

Sarah Palin trivialized herself with every word that came out of her mouth.  Though there was plenty of reason not to take her seriously and be very afraid of herfrom the get-go...There was one thing that scared me more than any other:  when she wanted to discuss with the Wasilla librarian about banning books( who quickly told her she would not be banning any books and almost got sacked for it, but for her popularity). 

Palin claimed it was just a hypothetical discussion...Sorry, I'm writer!  More importantly, I'm a reader...and a book collector.  To me, the dissemination of knowledge, of ideas and thoughts...regardless of how noble or repugnant...is sacred to me.  I believe those of worth will live; those that are worthless will be condemned as such.  When I hear the words "banning books", all I think of is Nazis and every other facist government that tried to suppress information and literature.  I don't care how "hypothetical" it supposedly was.  That the notion of book-banning plods through the wide open spaces of this person's empty brain at the same time she trying to make the ludicrous case that press critiques of her are an infringement of her first amendments rights is almost as frightening as it is laughable.

Oh, yeah...then there's that dinosaur and men roaming the earth together thingie.  The Flinstones as science...Seeing Russia from her house (She can't, by the by)...$150,000 shopping spree (it was more we'll learn from Newsweek's Election Extra...the McCain people's characterization of her and her family as "Wasilla hillbillies" pretty much sums it up)...Her inability to name any media she reads (she can't even lie effectively and say she reads Time or USA Today?)...The Alaskan Secessionist Movement, the Witch Doctor praying over her...but one could go on...

The British Ambassador passed on a joke from McCain about her.  "What's the difference between a pit bull and Sarah Palin.  A pit bull eventually lets go."

If the Republican Party wants to survive, it will bury this hate-spewing, fear-mongering, cretinish bimboo along with Joe the Plumber, all the other extremist factions, and all the divisive Rovian tactics that no longer work any more and get back wooing the mainstream voter and embracing true conservative policies.

FJL

« Reply #346 on: November 05, 2008, 08:11:24 PM »

Who can forget Kim Novak and Liz Taylor sparring in MIRROR CRACK'D.  Maybe it's time for a remake with Helmut Berger and Ryan O'Neal.

Lola Brewster: You seem lovely, as always. Of course, there are fewer lights on than usual. In fact, any fewer, and I'd need a seeing-eye dog.

Marina Rudd: Oh, I shouldn't bother to buy one, dear. In that wig, you could play Lassie.

Lola Brewster: Same adorable sense of humor. And I'm so glad to see that you've not only kept your GORGEOUS figure, but you've added SO MUCH to it!

Marina Rudd: What are you doing here so early, dear? I thought the plastic surgery seminar was in Switzerland.

Lola Brewster: Actually, darling, I couldn't wait to begin our little movie. You know the saying: once an actress, always an actress.

Marina Rudd: Oh, I do know the saying. But what does it have to do with you?

Lola Brewster: Cute angel. So do tell. How does it feel to be back, after being away SO LONG?

Lola Brewster: Chin up, darling... both of them.

Marina Rudd: Lola, dear, you know, there are really only two things I dislike about you.

Lola Brewster: Really? What are they?
Marina Rudd: Your face.

Cillaliz

« Reply #347 on: November 05, 2008, 08:15:04 PM »

We had a tornado warning earlier tonight and rain and snow are on the way in the next couple days.  Now I call that a change

Laura

« Reply #348 on: November 05, 2008, 08:17:10 PM »

You know what I think? I think DR Kerry needs a kitten.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #349 on: November 05, 2008, 08:17:45 PM »

And there just happens to be a cute kitten in my backyard.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

FJL

« Reply #350 on: November 05, 2008, 08:18:22 PM »

Here's an old joke that's giggle-worthy.  Nothing political meant by my repeating it, though.

A middle aged woman goes to the doctor's and says, "Doctor, Doctor, you have to help me. Every time I go to the bathroom, dimes come out!"

The doctor tells her to relax, go home, rest with her feet up and come back in a week.

A week later the woman returns and says, "Doctor, Doctor, it's gotten worse! Every time I go to the bathroom, quarters come out!! What's wrong with me?"

Again the doctor tells her to relax, go home, rest with her feet up and come back in a week.

Another week passes and the woman returns and yells, "Doctor, Doctor, I'm still not getting better! Every time I go to the bathroom, half-dollars come out! What the heck is wrong with me?"

The doctor says, "Relax, Relax, you're just going through your change!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #351 on: November 05, 2008, 08:19:04 PM »

Sounds like Indiana weather, DR CILLA LIZ.

Well I guess this is the day to put JRAND58 in his place.....I only hope it's not a full time job for some here at HHW.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #352 on: November 05, 2008, 08:24:35 PM »

I'm tired.  Almost finished with one motion picture on DVD and may dive into another.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #353 on: November 05, 2008, 08:37:22 PM »

I finished that last SUPERNATURAL episode, the one with sensational special effects as Dean is ripped from stem to stern by the hounds of hell. Amazing effects work on a TV budget.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #354 on: November 05, 2008, 08:39:55 PM »

We had a tornado warning earlier tonight and rain and snow are on the way in the next couple days.  Now I call that a change

We like to share... :)

Matt H.

« Reply #355 on: November 05, 2008, 08:43:28 PM »

There were three bonus featurettes on the last disc in the set: a discussion of the special effects departments that are so crucial to the show, a brief look at the Chevy Impala that's one of the focal points of the show, and a gag reel.

Matt H.

« Reply #356 on: November 05, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »

Next, I finished FOR YOUR EYES ONLY on Blu-ray which I had started several days ago. Don't know when I'll find the time to watch the last of the Bond Blu-rays, but I don't think it'll be this month.

Matt H.

« Reply #357 on: November 05, 2008, 08:45:53 PM »

BONES had a pretty enjoyable episode. I should have guessed the murderer, but I didn't. Really didn't have a clue. How nice to have this show back.

Matt H.

« Reply #358 on: November 05, 2008, 08:46:42 PM »

LIFE had a good episode tonight, and I DID figure out the identity of the mystery man before it was revealed.

Matt H.

« Reply #359 on: November 05, 2008, 08:47:29 PM »

Nice to have LAW & ORDER back in its familiar time slot as well. Enjoyed the case brutal though it was.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up