Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UPS ADVENTURE  (Read 27422 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: THE UPS ADVENTURE
« Reply #360 on: November 05, 2008, 08:47:39 PM »

It's time for me to leave work and have dinner.  I wonder what it'll be. ;)

Until later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #361 on: November 05, 2008, 09:00:14 PM »

Sounds like Indiana weather, DR CILLA LIZ.

Well I guess this is the day to put JRAND58 in his place.....I only hope it's not a full time job for some here at HHW.

I agree with you JRand, not sure that's worth much, but it's true

Cillaliz

« Reply #362 on: November 05, 2008, 09:01:07 PM »

We had a tornado warning earlier tonight and rain and snow are on the way in the next couple days.  Now I call that a change

We like to share... :)

No thanks you can keep it

Laura

« Reply #363 on: November 05, 2008, 09:03:42 PM »

It has finally cooled off in the desert.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #364 on: November 05, 2008, 09:05:15 PM »

Heading down now to bed.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #365 on: November 05, 2008, 09:41:34 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back from The Met... Back from seeing Doctor Atomic...

Very heavy and heady subject matter, handled in a manner that was both realistic and representational - sometimes at the same time.  Alas, with the way the libretto is structured - it was compiled from various sources - a more representational approach overall would have been more to my liking (like the original San Francisco Opera production). There just seemed to be too many tableaus and stretches of "static" and posing.  Yes, the tension was sustained, for the most part, but a little more movement would have helped, imho.

I was not prepared for "this" John Adams' score.  The pulsing ostinatos of Nixon in China and "Harmonielehre" were almost non-existent, and in its place was a series of different types and "techniques" of music.  It all worked, and the production was also abetted by a very smart and effective sound design.

I'm glad I did get to see this production, but if I ever do see the opera again, I'd like to see a different production, concept.

*OH!  And I really do think the true star of the evening was the conductor, Alan Gilbert - who is about to take over the Podium of the New York Philharmonic.  A truly committed and perfectly-paced realization of the very difficult score.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #366 on: November 05, 2008, 09:50:42 PM »

And since we're back on Sarah Palin... ;)

I think we all have to keep in mind that Senator McCain was not the one who picked Governor Palin as his running mate.  She was picked by his advisors and the heads of the RNC.  It is well documented that Senator McCain and Governor Palin had never even met before under the guise of considering her as a potential running mate.  They met for a few hours at a Governors function.  That was it.

I will admit that I got her appeal, I got her "charisma".  But I also could not deal with some of the facts of her past: going through six colleges, not having a passport until relatively recently, having a husband who was not a registered voter until after they were married... There just seemed to be too much there for everyone - on both(!) sides of aisle - to criticize, examine and ridicule.  I give her credit for not crumbling under the extreme personal pressure she was subjected to when she was thrust into the spotlight, but I still wonder why the RNC did not choose someone with more experience, and who had already been on "in the halo" of the spotlight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #367 on: November 05, 2008, 09:53:40 PM »

Not in the mood to watch another movie.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #368 on: November 05, 2008, 09:53:58 PM »

So I'm listening to a CD of British light music.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #369 on: November 05, 2008, 09:55:50 PM »

In order to load postage on my Pitney-Bowes postage machine, one must plug in one's phone line.  The problem is one sometimes forgets to unplug and plug back into the phone base, hence missing all sorts of important telephonic calls, which is exactly what happened today - I missed five calls including one from the mail place AFTER I'd been there saying that a DHL package had arrived - so I guess I'll get that after my meeting with Druxy, or before, if I decide to jog later in the afternoon.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #370 on: November 05, 2008, 10:00:24 PM »

In order to load postage on my Pitney-Bowes postage machine, one must plug in one's phone line.  The problem is one sometimes forgets to unplug and plug back into the phone base, hence missing all sorts of important telephonic calls, which is exactly what happened today - I missed five calls including one from the mail place AFTER I'd been there saying that a DHL package had arrived - so I guess I'll get that after my meeting with Druxy, or before, if I decide to jog later in the afternoon.

Get thee to a Radio Shack and buy a splitter.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #371 on: November 05, 2008, 10:21:20 PM »

We had spaghetti three times at our house last week.  (

That'll teach the kids not to clean their plates!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #372 on: November 05, 2008, 10:26:54 PM »

OK..  It's been a long day for me today, and I'm hoping to have a productive day tomorrow in some form or another, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #373 on: November 05, 2008, 10:47:26 PM »

Yes, I've heard that BJ's are quite common in California.   ;D

A comment not un-noticed!
Did you see a special on California BJs on Fox?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #374 on: November 05, 2008, 10:51:47 PM »

Laura's tip for the day:

Be sure to click on "save" frequently.

Does your church have a "Save" button a every pew?

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #375 on: November 05, 2008, 10:51:53 PM »

This British music is awfully light.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #376 on: November 05, 2008, 10:52:07 PM »

Perhaps I'll listen to some British heavy music.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #377 on: November 05, 2008, 10:52:19 PM »

Will we never get to page fourteen?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #378 on: November 05, 2008, 10:55:40 PM »

Sarah Palin thrust instantly into the national spotlight - one that shines 24/7 - was put into a situation that no one can really be prepared for on short notice.

There is no news cycle anymore - it's instant....you say it and it's broadcast.

And MR BK wrote something the other day that I also agree with....this trivialization of candidates and this tabloid-i-zation of their personal lives really does diminish the offices they are running for. 

Sarah Palin trivialized herself with every word that came out of her mouth.  Though there was plenty of reason not to take her seriously and be very afraid of herfrom the get-go...There was one thing that scared me more than any other:  when she wanted to discuss with the Wasilla librarian about banning books( who quickly told her she would not be banning any books and almost got sacked for it, but for her popularity). 

Palin claimed it was just a hypothetical discussion...Sorry, I'm writer!  More importantly, I'm a reader...and a book collector.  To me, the dissemination of knowledge, of ideas and thoughts...regardless of how noble or repugnant...is sacred to me.  I believe those of worth will live; those that are worthless will be condemned as such.  When I hear the words "banning books", all I think of is Nazis and every other facist government that tried to suppress information and literature.  I don't care how "hypothetical" it supposedly was.  That the notion of book-banning plods through the wide open spaces of this person's empty brain at the same time she trying to make the ludicrous case that press critiques of her are an infringement of her first amendments rights is almost as frightening as it is laughable.

Oh, yeah...then there's that dinosaur and men roaming the earth together thingie.  The Flinstones as science...Seeing Russia from her house (She can't, by the by)...$150,000 shopping spree (it was more we'll learn from Newsweek's Election Extra...the McCain people's characterization of her and her family as "Wasilla hillbillies" pretty much sums it up)...Her inability to name any media she reads (she can't even lie effectively and say she reads Time or USA Today?)...The Alaskan Secessionist Movement, the Witch Doctor praying over her...but one could go on...

The British Ambassador passed on a joke from McCain about her.  "What's the difference between a pit bull and Sarah Palin.  A pit bull eventually lets go."

If the Republican Party wants to survive, it will bury this hate-spewing, fear-mongering, cretinish bimboo along with Joe the Plumber, all the other extremist factions, and all the divisive Rovian tactics that no longer work any more and get back wooing the mainstream voter and embracing true conservative policies.

DR Jose,

...7, 8, 9,...

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #379 on: November 05, 2008, 11:44:39 PM »

Too tired to stay up - so notes are posted and I'm changing the topic now.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #380 on: November 05, 2008, 11:46:15 PM »

Gratuitous Post #380. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up