Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A MOOT POINT  (Read 42585 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A MOOT POINT
« on: February 28, 2004, 12:01:29 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, so that's not a moot point.  You know where I'll be all the livelong day, so that's not a moot point.  No, the only thing left to do is post until the cows come home.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 12:01:49 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:A MOOT POINT
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 12:53:11 AM »

I find most of today's "reality" shows have little to do with reality, at least as I live it.  Survivor, Bachelor, all of those shows are game shows, hyped and hyper contests and nothing more.  At least American Yodel admits to being a contest, which gives it points for honesty.  

On the other end of the spectrum, what should be reality programming, on the news channels, is more and more a parade of talking heads with shrill voices, and less and less about reporting news.  Again, this is not reality.  On a more local level, constant car chases, whether on fictional cop shows or showing cops in pursuit of a real suspect, has little to do with the reality of people's lives.  

Does anyone remember a show called Real People?  It was quite often silly, but it took the time to show average people who all the same found interesting things to do with their lives.

Fair and balanced, to me, does not mean arguments or exploitation of events.  Yes, big news stories are out there, but they need to be put in perspective with the real stories of everyday people.  We're a far more interesting nation (and world) than our television programming suggests.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 01:09:15 AM »

A few weeks ago, Emily asked us to help with a survey about language usage.  I just came across an article in the Delaware News Journal about the differences in speech between the northern and southern halves of the state.  For example:

To Duncan, downstaters can sound somewhat like Virginians, because Kent and particularly Sussex County share the speech characteristics, vocabulary and colloquialisms of a region that stretches through Tidewater Virginia to the Outer Banks of the Carolinas.

"When I was a general in the National Guard," Duncan says, "I had an aide who grew up in Georgetown. Every once in a while, I'd say to him, 'Will you talk English so I can understand you?' ''

On the other hand, retired undertaker Dodd contends that "upstaters talk faster and sound bland."

And they all look at me like I sound funny!  (Which, to them I do!   :-\)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 04:01:38 AM »

DR Denise - great fish picture and Congrats on the diet....you have inspired me to try....  AND I am on that Ticketmaster ticket list, and you only get something once a week or so AND there is an option in each email to discontinue being on the list...and link to click...so it is easy to remove yourself....as I have been told so often to do.

DR PANNI - I loved GIFT OF LOVE.....but then I am a sucker for stories like that....DEATH BE NOT PROUD and SOMETHING FOR JOEY...oh my!   :'(

Well guess what DVD I ordered yesterday?  Yup, CAMP!  Oh dear, well DREvil Kurt and I missed it the ONE WEEK it was here in Indy - so maybe it will be okay...

Reality shows are my LEAST favorites, probably.  I watched THE MOLE the first season and liked it!  THE REAL WORLD sometimes has some good people, but now they only get aspiring musicians and actors and people who TRY too hard....boring.  :P

Hmmmmmmmm.....1950's.....I loved PEOPLE ARE FUNNY, TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES, and YOU ASKED FOR IT!

The game shows like WHAT'S MY LINE, TO TELL THE TRUTH, and I'VE GOT A SECRET were a lot of fun.

YOU ARE THERE and PERSON TO PERSON....stuff like that there!

I loved seeing the stars "at home" - my favorite episode had Gale Storm, who just happened to have an orchestra out by her swimming pool so she could stand there and sing a song!  "Doesn't everybody?"   ;D

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 04:28:59 AM »

My favorite all time gameshow was the original Hollywood Squares with host Peter Marshall and stars like Paul Lynde, "Charlie Weaver", Wally Cox, Rose Marie, and many others. They were funny. They knew how to deliver the punchline and the writers were top notch. The "game" part was never exciting as the entertainment provided by the "stars of the Hollywood Squares"

One of these stars is seated in the Secret Square and the contest who picks it first could win a prize package of over _______. Which star is it?
__________.  All in the Hollywood Squares. Now here is the master of the Hollywood Squares Peter Marshall.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 04:59:47 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 04:59:25 AM »

Q: In Alice in Wonderland who kept crying, I'm late. I'm late"?

A by Paul Lynde: Alice and her Mother's sick about it.

Q: An 80 year old doctor AJ Quick has recently developed something important and he named it after himself. What did AJ Quick name after himself?

A by Charlie Weaver: 80 year old? I would say the Quickie.

Q: According to Amy Vanderbuilt do you tip in Motel like you do in a hotel?

A by Paul Lynde: For a half an hour???

Q: Dale Evans reveled recently her three secrets to her happy marriage to Roy Rogers. We work together, We pray together, and we are darn good .........What?

A by Paul Lynde: In the saddle.

Q: Acording to the book Strange Courtships and Marriage. Do Snails ever carress?

A by Totie Fields: I've never seen a horny snail

Q: In what famous book do you find a talking ass who wonders why its being beaten?

A by Paul Lynde: I read it. The Joy of Sex
Never stop dreaming.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 05:19:41 AM »

Favorite reality show?  I honestly don't think I have one; though I still would love to be able to one day see "An American Family," the multi-part documentary made for PBS in the early '70s.

Favorite game show: Match Game.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 06:03:02 AM »

DRJane - is that Vegas Shakespeare a Libby Appel production?  Or need I ask.....

Peter Marshall:  Paul, the Pope will celebrate his birthday this week, and he is going to get something just like everyone else....what is he going to get?

Paul Lynde:  Johnny Olsen!  Tell the Pope what he gets!!  ;)

OMG DRLulu - on the Original Match Game...there were only two celebrities who each played with two regular contestants.  Jayne Mansfield would always write her answers and dot her I's with hearts!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 06:04:35 AM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 06:05:36 AM »

Off to rehearsal.  Pray for Rosemary's Baby.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2004, 06:22:12 AM »

Favorite reality shows

I loved MASQUERADE PARTY in the 1950s. Using 'The Sabre Dance" as its theme song was scary to me as a kid. And the makeups for the celebrities were also eerie, but I guess that's why I was so fascinated with it.

I loved ART LINKLETTER'S HOUSE PARTY, not just because my uncle appeared on it once (with my brother and me in the audience), but because it was such a fun mixture of fashion, gossip, stunts, and kids. Just loved it.

As for the modern reality shows, I admit to being a SURVIVOR junkie for the first four installments. I swore off the show when it was obvious I was getting too emotionally involved with the people, worrying about their strategies to the extent that I wasn't sleeping and would watch the show with such an extreme stomach ache that I knew it wasn't good for me any more.

I also loved the first two MOLE shows with average citizens as players. The celebrity editions haven't interested me at all.

I also have to confess that I watched each and every episode of the reality dating show BOY MEETS BOY and loved it. Never in my life did I dream there would be a gay dating show on TV, so when one came along, there was no way on earth I would have missed it.

Now, AMERICAN IDOL and QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY are probably the only reality shows I watch.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2004, 06:41:54 AM »

Only reality show I have watched and enjoyed was "The Mole" (Oz version) - at least there seemed to be some intelligence involved in decision making etc.

Game shows: No American shows - only copies of what has been successful elsewhere. I did enjoy "It's A Knockout" (was that a Canadian idea?).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2004, 06:52:53 AM »

I don't know from reality.  I've never been there in real life, so why should I watch it on television?
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2004, 06:59:35 AM »

I, too, liked You Asked for It and People are Funny.  You are There was a great show.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2004, 07:12:01 AM »

I was on a game show once. Called Chain Reaction. It was the version without celebrities. Taped in Montreal and syndicated. I won one game and lost the next.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2004, 07:12:55 AM »

This afternoon I am going to Liz Callaway and Jason Graae in concert.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2004, 07:15:31 AM »

BK what did Stephen Sondheim do in the film Camp?
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2004, 07:20:53 AM »

Mr. Sondheim plays a character called Stephen Sondheim, who comes to see the benefit concert at the end of the film, of which he's supposedly the chair.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2004, 07:40:16 AM »

DR PANNI - I loved GIFT OF LOVE.....but then I am a sucker for stories like that....DEATH BE NOT PROUD and SOMETHING FOR JOEY...oh my!   :'(
Well, thank you, Jrand 53! Obvously a man with splendid taste.

Panni

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2004, 07:44:59 AM »

Good Simi Valley Vibes (hard for a Hungarian to say!) to Mr. bk!

Panni

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2004, 07:56:59 AM »

Here's what I posted last night about CAMP:

I went to CAMP looking forward to it. I left thinking it was amateurish and stupid. As for Sondheim's performance, I think the only person who could have done a worse job of playing Sondheim is Andrew Lloyd Weber.

I saw it in a theater, so I couldn't yell at the screen in frustration, but I sure would have at home.

I'm not big on reality shows. I do agree with DR Lulu (Is that who it was? Sorry if it was someone else.)  that An American Family was superb.

Game shows: I liked To Tell the Truth, Matchgame, What's My Line, the old Hollywood Squares... The oldies but goodies. I'll probably think of others as the day goes on.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2004, 07:57:36 AM »

Re:  The Match Game.  My wife and I were at High Holy Days services several years ago when we noticed a tall man sitting in the row in front of us.   He looked exactly like Gene Rayburn.  I turned to my wife and said, "Let's sing the 'Match Game' theme and see if he turns around."  We did.  He didn't.  (We no longer go to that congregation, but, surprisingly, not because we were asked not to return).  :)

And who can tell me the "real" name and composer of the Match Game theme?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2004, 08:04:35 AM »

Can't wait to see the answer to the MATCH GAME theme song. For years, I thought it was Mancini's "Baby Elephant Walk," but learned later that it wasn't. Looking forward to finally knowing the answer to this.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2004, 08:32:53 AM »

This afternoon I am going to Liz Callaway and Jason Graae in concert.

I am sure you will enjoy their show, Dear Reader Michael.

I must ask:  what is the picture you have below your name?  If it is what I think it is, I must confess I find it rather disturbing.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2004, 08:34:52 AM »

Bert Kaempfert composed the Match Game theme song. (But don't ask me what I had for breakfast this morning. Well, actually I haven't had breakfast yet, so I'm safe.) What do I win?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2004, 08:35:28 AM »

And who can tell me the "real" name and composer of the Match Game theme?

I don't know the composer, but isn't the tune "That Happy Feeling?"  Or something like that.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Michael

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2004, 08:37:22 AM »

I am sure you will enjoy their show, Dear Reader Michael.

I must ask:  what is the picture you have below your name?  If it is what I think it is, I must confess I find it rather disturbing.

It is me as Officer Dvorkin from my year as a background player on the TV series Sirens
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2004, 08:40:16 AM »

While I was showering just now, A Question for the DRs popped into my head. (Ouch.) I know it's not Ask DRs Day, but it's the weekend so let's be wild and crazy and break the rules.
My question: If you could have one date with any famous person, alive or deceased, who would it be? Now I'm talking about a date, nothing sexual, got it? He or she would come to your home and pick you up (or vice versa), you would go to dinner, perhaps theater, a movie, whatever... then come back home and say good-night. A date. So... I'm curious...

Michael

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2004, 08:42:50 AM »

The gentleman who wrote the Match Game Theme was Robert Israel who has also written the themes to The Family Feud, 20/20, The Price is Right, one of themes to All My Children etc etc
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2004, 08:43:04 AM »

I'll be back after breakfast to see the fascinating responses...

Panni

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2004, 08:45:08 AM »

The gentleman who wrote the Match Game Theme was Robert Israel who has also written the themes to The Family Feud, 20/20, The Price is Right, one of themes to All My Children etc etc

Wait! WAIT! I thought it was Bert Kaempfert. We've gotta look this up and have an informational shoot-out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up