Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OSCAR WILD PARTY  (Read 32147 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE OSCAR WILD PARTY
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2004, 07:37:31 AM »

Glad to topic of the day is Oscars part because I have a question based on the talk last night about the great Roddy McDowall.

I've often wondered why the Academy didn't vote him a special juvenile Oscar in 1941 for HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY. or for LASSIE COME HOME, for that matter. He was so good in both of them, and he seems a prime candidate for that special award that had gone to four children up to 1941: Shirley Temple, Deanna Durbin, Mickey Rooney, and Judy Garland. Has this ever been discussed in any reading matter any of you have done. I've never found ANY reference to it at all, but I just find his omission very strange.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2004, 08:01:41 AM »

Good morning, all. Geez, I shouldn't have gone to bed early-ish last night. Missed a lot of good conversation.

Okay, FS Pogue - Your eloquence has convinced me. I'll bend the rules for you and Sophia.

SWW - Coooookieeeeee!

Jose - No matter what any doctor says, reading in bed is a GOOD thing. IMO, there's only one other activity in that particular location that's better. But with a book there are no complications in the morning.

Panni

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2004, 08:04:18 AM »

Oh - and thank you for the time info, Tomovoz. So now I know that it's 3 AM tomorrow in Australia. G'day.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 09:06:27 AM by Panni »

Kerry

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2004, 08:21:58 AM »

I too will probably tape the Oscars, and fast forward through most of it tomorrow.  It doesn't spoil it for me to know in advance who won, because most of the time I don't care or don't know who they're talking about.  

There are so few people I WANT to see on the Oscars, and all they do is make fun of what used to make the Oscars a good and enjoyable evening.

I will  not rant; I will not rant.

I loved everyone sharing their family histories.  Lyn and I both have some interesting ones too--although not nearly  as interesting (or as tragic-- at least that I know of) as what I read on yesterday's posts. I grew up thinking all the the other families around us were happy and normal (and only ours was screwed up).  It's always fascinating to find out that everyone's family is dysfunctional and  far from the perfect picture created.  The whole world is Peyton Place when you get right down to it-- no matter what decade we're talking about.

I was just informed by DRMusicGuy that he's planning on having a a nice dinner with mw and watching the Oscars live.  Well, I can't sit through the entire ceremony (luckily the television is more or less behind me) because I have some work to do, so I'll probably sit here at the computer (NOT ON THIS SITE BECAUSE I HAVE WORK TO DO THAT NEVER GETS DONE BECAUSE I'M ON THIS SITE).  I must finish some tax things SOON (for something with a different fiscal year AND my appointment is with the tax accountant is Tuesday-- and which has alredy been postponed TWICE).   I'd much rather read about what Jose had for dinner or Jay's walking tour and alll of you than do what I should be doing RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!

Sigh-- I need to go get ready for work.  I love you all and will catch up with you later.  *****sigh********

Is that true about Roddy MacDowall's book not being published until 50 yearas after his death?!!?!?!  CRAP!  He knows ALL the stories and all the people, but I do not plan on being around that long-- even if were 20 now--which I'm not.  I'll just have to hear the stories from him personally then.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 08:26:07 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2004, 08:43:29 AM »

Good Morning!

-Boy, do I need coffee!  So... Off to brunch!

And I actually think I may have some home fries!! ;-)

-Although, I do like them crisped, not burned... and especially not burning.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2004, 09:03:20 AM »

I jsut gave a little listen to the recording of SHERRY!  Not the whole thing, mind you.  I have to say that Christine Baranski and Jonathon Freeman are sheer perfection; it's a shame about Carol Burnett and Nathan Lane.  Burnett does a slightly different lyric as well; but in my book, the title song produced by MR. K. simply cannot be topped.

Oh, I have my reasons for watching the Oscars tonight:

BLAKE EDWARDS
ANNIE LENNOX
CATHERINE O'HARA AND EUGENE LEVY performing

PETER JACKSON and his films.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2004, 09:15:18 AM »

Good. I got to correct my Aussie time error before anyone noticed. The mind is a strange and wonderful thing. I was just out walking, thinking about everything but the time in Australia -- and suddenly everything in my head came to a screeching halt and a little voice screamed, "You idiot! You added 14 hours instead of 19!"
Which of course was true - so as soon as I returned from my walk, I came to the site, hit "Modify" (I LOVE that feature -- wish we had it in life) and rectified my stupid error.
 My question is -- how do those things happen. Is there some part of the mind that just works away on problems long after the conscious mind has merrily moved on? Fascinating.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2004, 09:17:12 AM »

The happeningest Oscar bash in town - right here!  Even if you don't care and are not watching the Oscars, this will be the place to be, just like it was for the Tony Awards last year.  

Leonard Frey was indeed Quilty and John Neville is right as Humbert.  

Panni

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2004, 09:30:02 AM »

John Neville is right as Humbert.  
John Neville followed my late and much missed cousin, John Hirsch, as Artistic Director of the Stratford Festival.
Does he actually sing as Humbert or is it Rex Harrison- type singing?

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2004, 09:31:51 AM »

Alas, I will not be posting til the cows come home this evening (And I so enjoy posting til the cows come home!) for I will be holding an intimate soiree this evening in celebration of the Academy Awards.  Intimate, because more than half the people I invited can't go out on school nights. ::) I really need some older friends!  Regardless, it will be a thrilling bash.  Every year, I roll out the red carpet, line it with tea candles, throw on my sister's prom dress, cook things that nobody will eat because teenagers are finicky, and hold a brilliant shindig that only I appreciate.  I'm terribly excited.  
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Panni

« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2004, 09:42:28 AM »

Jenny - Sounds like a great evening! Are you going to have ballots for everyone to mark? Whenever I've had one of those soirees, I've always asked for a dollar per person in a hat. The one who gets the highest number right gets to go home with the loot. It keeps people invested in the proceedings, that's for sure. I've seen university professors beat their heads in agony over missing Best Sound.

Jenny

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2004, 09:49:53 AM »

Jenny - Sounds like a great evening! Are you going to have ballots for everyone to mark?

I certainly will, and whoever guesses the most winners will receive an honorary Oscar!  Now, here's my question: Should the honorary Oscar be an Oscar The Grouch doll, an Oscar Wilde book, or an Oscar Meyer Wiener?
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Panni

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2004, 10:15:47 AM »

Now, here's my question: Should the honorary Oscar be an Oscar The Grouch doll, an Oscar Wilde book, or an Oscar Meyer Wiener?

Definitely the Wiener! A suggestion, perhaps a bit bizarre, but, hey, it's from me: If you could get a base for the wiener -- like a little clay planter pot sprayed gold - that would make it perfect.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 10:17:01 AM by Panni »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2004, 10:16:21 AM »

I spent a (partial) weekend in the country, and returned to catch up on yesterday's posts. I had a great weekend. There's nothing better than that first perfect hint-of-spring day following a bleak couple of months. But yesterday's rich assortment here made me feel like I had missed out on a wonderful day with friends. (And TCB, I laughed out loud at the "no goaning at HHW" line.")

Still, even though I was E&T, there was a HHW connection since I finally made DR Panni's Ibi Néni Cake. The combination of molten chocolate with a meringuey surface and a jammy burst before hitting the nutty and buttery crust made for an irresistible treat.

DR Jenny. I'd go for the wiener - maybe even slid into an Oscar. I tried to copy the URL, but couldn't. However, if you go to www.ebay.com and search "Academy Award Oscar," you'll find a good model of an actual Oscar that can can be blown up to what I think is wiener size. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be a shindig to remember.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2004, 10:16:55 AM »

DR Jenny - The winner of your Oscar pool should receive a plate of Veal Oscar!  YUM!

Are the Oscars on tape delay to the West Coast?  Do us East-Coasters - aka "The Lucky Ones" - have to beware of posting spoilers?  ;-)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 10:28:17 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2004, 10:20:45 AM »

DR Jenny - The winner of your Oscar pool should receive a plate of Veal Oscar!  YUM!

Are the Oscars of tape delay to the West Coast?  Do us East-Coasters - aka "The Lucky Ones" - have to beware of posting spoilers?  ;-)

No. We get it here at the ungodly hour of 5:30 -- so we'll all be watching together. Let's sing:l"It's a small world after alll..."

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2004, 10:21:43 AM »

Are the Oscars of tape delay to the West Coast?  Do us East-Coasters - aka "The Lucky Ones" - have to beware of posting spoilers?  ;-)

Broadcast is live 'round the world.

Well, not exactly.  Delayed five seconds 'round the world.  Call it the Janet Jackson delay.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2004, 10:22:14 AM »

Dan-in-TO - How great that you made Ibi Néni Cake! So glad you enjoyed it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2004, 10:27:25 AM »

Our next Unseemly Interview will be up next week - with Larry Blank, who's conducted on Broadway (They're Playing our Song, Sugar Babies, Evita) and also orchestrated and arranged for just about everyone, including lots of stuff for Marc Shaiman.

Jenny

« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2004, 10:29:50 AM »

Definitely the Wiener! A suggestion, perhaps a bit bizarre, but, hey, it's from me: If you could get a base for the wiener -- like a little clay planter pot sprayed gold - that would make it perfect.

Good idea!  Now, should the wiener be cooked for the occasion?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2004, 10:40:04 AM »

No, the wiener should not be cooked, and I say this from some experience.

Now, Jenny, just because you're having a soiree, doesn't mean you can't post - and have your guests post, too.  That is the fun of the happeningest party on all the Internet.  That is what happened with our Tony bash last year, and I would hate to tell you how many posts we had that evening - it is still our record and I believe it was over six hundred.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2004, 10:42:56 AM »

Fun from AOL Entertainment:

Academy Rewards   

10 Oscar moments to watch for -- From Gollum impersonations to Tom and Nicole, here's what we're looking forward to seeing on Sunday night's show BY BRIAN HIATT, GARY SUSMAN   

10. PAYING RESPECTS This year's reminder-of-one's-own-mortality segments should be less depressing than usual, with lighthearted tributes planned for the late, great, Oscar host extraordinaire Bob Hope, and 81-year-old honorary Oscar winner Blake Edwards (director of ''Breakfast at Tiffany's,'' ''10,'' and the ''Pink Panther'' films). Meanwhile, the ''In Memoriam'' montage of stars who died this year lets you play the ''I didn't realize he/she wasn't dead already'' game.

9. LENI RIEFENSTAHL Forget politically outspoken contenders like Sean Penn and Tim Robbins. The most controversial name of the night will be Leni Riefenstahl, the pioneering documentarian and propagandist for Hitler, who'll be recognized during the aforementioned death montage. Listen for the deafening lack of applause when her clip appears.

8. ALISON KRAUSS The talented but relatively obscure bluegrass artist will have as much screen time as any A-list movie star at this year's Oscars, singing duets of two nominated songs from the epic ''Cold Mountain.'' Krauss -- who was also on the blockbuster ''O Brother, Where Art Thou?'' soundtrack -- will perform the ethereal ''You Will Be My Ain True Love'' with Sting and the piano ballad ''Scarlet Tide'' with Elvis Costello. And millions will wonder: O sister, who art thou?

7. A PRECIOUS MOMENT Will Peter Jackson -- or any of the night's other winners -- be tempted to do his best Gollum impersonation when presented with a gold statuette? Our bet: ''My precious'' is this year's ''I'm the king of the world.'' Yeeess, it iiiis.

6. ANNIE LENNOX Wouldn't it be cool if former Eurythmics gender-bender Lennox broke out the old orange crewcut and men's suit for the Oscars? Sweet dreams are made of that. In any case, expect a passionate rendition of the Enya-esque ballad ''Into the West'' from ''The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.''

5. JACK BLACK AND WILL FERRELL This pair may still be years away from Oscar-bait performances. Nevertheless, their debut appearances (as presenters) at the Academy Awards bode well for some spontaneity -- five-second delay be damned.

4. THE GOVERNATOR Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is scheduled to attend the Oscars, making a temporary return to the world of entertainment. Will Billy Crystal poke fun at the most powerful man in the room? Will anyone use their time at the podium to denounce Schwarzenegger's opposition to gay marriage? We can't wait for the suspense to be terminated.

3. EUGENE LEVY AND CATHERINE O'HARA The Christopher Guest regulars will reprise their roles from the mockumentary ''A Mighty Wind'' as the estranged folk duo Mitch & Mickey, performing their fictional '60s hit ''A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow.'' In the film, the former lovers are reluctant to reprise their trademark smooch at a key point in the song, but let's root for some lip-locking on Oscar night.

2. BILLY CRYSTAL ''Hairspray'' writer Marc Shaiman is back on board to craft original song-and-dance numbers for everybody's favorite Oscar host. We'd ask for a musical version of ''The Passion of the Christ,'' but it's been done already, hasn't it? So we'll settle for ''Seabiscuit Sings!''

1. TOM CRUISE AND NICOLE KIDMAN If nothing else, it'll be fun to see how the famous exes avoid each other for the entire evening.

der Precious Brucer (rooting for "Seabiscuit Sings", Yeeess, iiii iiiis!)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2004, 10:45:13 AM »

Now, here's my question: Should the honorary Oscar be an Oscar The Grouch doll, an Oscar Wilde book, or an Oscar Meyer Wiener?

The Grouch, eating a weiner, reading Wilde's "The Importance of Being Ernie".

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2004, 10:49:18 AM »

Yesterday Danise posted:
Danise
I really liked the theme to The Incredible Hulk TV series with Bill Bixby.  Does anyone know if that was ever released on CD/LP?

Yes. Go to The Hulk TV site for a you-can't believe-how-long dissertation on recordings of same.

der Brucer (remember my Hulk doll  :-X)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2004, 10:56:41 AM »

From DR SWW yesterday:

(By the way, I've found it handy to make a batch of roux in advance, which I keep in a plastic bag in the butter compartment of the fridge.

Amazing - I have to go on line to find out what's in the mystery bags in my ice box.

der Brucer (who did not grab the cookie with the giant walnut!)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2004, 10:59:57 AM »

Our next Unseemly Interview will be up next week - with Larry Blank, who's conducted on Broadway (They're Playing our Song, Sugar Babies, Evita) and also orchestrated and arranged for just about everyone, including lots of stuff for Marc Shaiman.

REALLY?!?!?!?!?  How cool!

Please tell me there's at least one or two or three of his "classic" stories.  He's an amazing guy.  And truly one of the few remaining links to some of the Biggies of music theater from the 50s-70s.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2004, 11:03:37 AM »

Extract from a letter to a Congressman and the Speaker of the House:

...the President's presidential prayer team is
urging us to "pray for the President as he seeks wisdom on how to legally codify the definition of marriage. Pray that it will be according to
Biblical principles."

With that in mind, I thought I would remind the body of the biblical principles they are talking about.

Marriage shall consist of a union between one man and one or more women. That is from Genesis 29:17-28.

Secondly, marriage shall not impede a man's right to take concubines in addition to his wife or wives.
That is II Samuel 5:13 and II Chronicles 11:21.

A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed. That is Deuteronomy 22:13.

Marriage of a believer and a nonbeliever shall be forbidden. That is Genesis 24:3.

Finally, it says that since there is no law that can change things, divorce is not possible, and finally, if a married man dies, his brother has to marry his sister-in-law. Gen. 38:6-10; Deut 25:5-10

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2004, 11:25:39 AM »

And to keep BK happy:

Offbeat French Cartoon Hopes for Oscar Gold
Sunday, February 29, 2004
By Daisy Nguyen

LOS ANGELES — If Sylvain Chomet (search) has his way, three cartoon women making music from a vacuum cleaner and refrigerator will perform at the Oscars.

Chomet directed "The Triplets of Belleville," (search) which is nominated for best animated film and best song. As Sunday's awards show approached, he was negotiating with producers to have his cartoon heroes perform the song rather than a well-known musician.

Such a scenario, the French animator says, would surely captivate Oscar viewers jaded by too many standard song-and-dance numbers, as well as capture his cartoon's delightfully weird spirit. "Triplets" is virtually devoid of dialogue, so music and song become another character alongside the trio of three elderly scat singers who help a resourceful grandmother find her kidnapped grandson.

"I always say animation is 50 percent image, 50 percent sound," Chomet said during a recent phone interview. "The triplets became the triplets with the help of the music. It's simple and alive, beautiful and silly."
(Extracted from FNC)

der Brucer (a NEMO fan)

Robin

« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2004, 11:37:26 AM »

First off...I am feeling much, much better today.  Almost back to normal.  (Or whatever passes for "normal", in my case.)  Tomorrow morning, I'm going into the doctor for some tests to see whether or not there are any "lasting effects".  Other than some ringing in the ears from time to time and general fatigue, both of which I was told I could expect, I'm expecting a clean bill of health.  

And thanks for all the good vibes, people!  

Second off...I love the Oscars.  I love everything about the Oscars.  

The Significant Other and myself have seen all of the Best Picture nominations, as well as the Best Animated Feature nominations.  Oddly enough, I only liked two of the Best Picture nominees (The Return of the King and Master and Commander, for the record.  I was so-so on Lost in Translation and Seabiscuit, and simply loathed Mystic River, which is why I'm predicting it'll take the statue).  Besides, anything vaguely in the science fiction, fantasy or horror genres always get short shrift at the Oscars; I doubt this year will be any exception.  So, all you LOTR fans...don't get your hopes up.  

As for the Animated Feature, I'm going to say Finding Nemo, even though The Triplets of Belleville was far better.  

This year, the Oscars are being broadcast with a 5-second delay, in order to avoid any unexpected Janet Jackson breast-bearing, even though Miss Jackson will not be attending, and therefore any breast-bearing she may or may not do will not be televised.  Go figger.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Tomovoz

« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2004, 11:41:10 AM »

The Oscars maybe broadcast around the world but they are not usually shown until peak viewing time. Years ago the Radio stations used to play fair and gave no spoilers - now there are no surprises unless you lock yourself away.

DR Panni. It's easier to subtract 5 and remember that it is the next day. I of course add five and know it's yesterday! I like living in my yesterdays and do it quite a lot.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up